PDA

View Full Version : Food intolerance/allergies

TheNewbie
06-17-2018, 02:42 AM
Are there any foods that you cannot eat because of the side effects of eating them?

I love onions but everytime I eat them I get headaches , and sometimes I feel nauseous and bloated. The other day I ate way too much onion and it even made me feel disoriented.

Onions are the only food I knowfor sure that makes me feel bad, and it was only in the last 5-7 years that this issue developed.

Duke
06-17-2018, 05:22 AM
I’m 100% lactose intolerant.

As my fitness progressed I was constantly looking for better, larger sources of clean proteins.

Organic Plain Greek yoghurt seemed a good fit. Until I realized the explosive effect it was having on my gut bacteria, etc.

Dairy free for right at a year now. Stronger, faster, leaner. I’m not a “substitute” type of guy either.

I find no benefit in milk-ish things like almond milk/coco nut milk/ lactose free...just roll without and move on.

To that end if you’re trying (failing) to pull out of a poor nurtition rut - I recommend just cutting out the trouble source all together.

Joe in PNG
06-17-2018, 05:28 AM
Monosodium Glutemate (MSG) for me- it triggers IBS type D with cramps.

Cookie Monster
06-17-2018, 06:40 AM
Got the IBS, so wheat, dairy, onion, garlic, apple, stone fruit, beans, and other things in various amounted. Been on a low FODMAP diet the last 3 months and it is working out well. It is all about the malabsorption of certain sugars.

Getting old is not for the weak.

ragnar_d
06-17-2018, 08:55 AM
I had a couple food allergies growing up but grew out of them. Chocolate, milk, and a few others (most of my allergies are environmental though), but I had it easy compared to my brother.

The last couple years I started making a lot of diet changes and cut out most of the high sugar/processed foods (energy drinks, Taco Bell, doughnuts, sodas, juice, cookies, candy, most bread, etc.). Only then did I realize that all the sugar in my diet was actually making me an irritable bastard often. The only other one is if I drink a lot of milk then things start rumbling down under . . . and a gas mask might be required in the office.

cheby
06-17-2018, 09:05 AM
Vegan food makes me depressed

BehindBlueI's
06-17-2018, 09:19 AM
Poblano peppers give me heartburn that makes me crave the sweet release of death. Odd in that other spicier peppers and foods do not and I don't normally get heartburn.

wsr
06-17-2018, 10:06 AM
Banana,avocado and cantaloupe all make my throat itch horribly, swell slightly and my inner ear itch and swell enough to affect m balance

camsdaddy
06-17-2018, 10:09 AM
Yellow mustard makes me feel bad. When my allergist told me this it was like a lightbulb went off. I would feel bad after eating a local hotdog place and Krystal's etc. I thought I felt bad because I was consuming crap. I found once I omitted the mustard I didn't feel great but I didn't feel like death either. This is difficult to avoid in many sauces. Yesterday we were at a bbq joint and I was talking to the waitress about sauce and mustard. I ordered Mac and cheese as a side and she came back and told me they but mustard in their Mac. WTH who puts mustard in Mac and why?

Glenn E. Meyer
06-17-2018, 12:03 PM
Goddamn parsnips. My kid was doing some volunteer work on a farm and cutting down overgrown parsnip plants. It turns out that a significant part of the population is wildly sensitive to the juice from the plants. She is. Got something like 2nd degree chemical burns on arms, back and face.

Dog Guy
06-17-2018, 05:43 PM
Banana,avocado and cantaloupe all make my throat itch horribly, swell slightly and my inner ear itch and swell enough to affect m balance

Watch out for strawberries and kiwi joining the party, and be careful of latex. I got sensitized to latex by wearing latex gloves on EMS calls for 20+ years. I then developed allergy to avocado, then banana. My allergist tells me that those allergies are related, and often develop after one gets triggered.

DocGKR
06-17-2018, 08:48 PM
Glutten since residency...

willie
06-17-2018, 09:06 PM
Peanuts are serious offenders. As a group seafood has a very large number of items that bring about allergic responses. Wheezing is a big sign of some seafood allergies as are whelps and hives. One of the jobs that I retired from is health inspector. Some places serving seafood don't always buy product from approved sources. The result is that what's on your plate may not be what you think. Also, it may have already been time and temperature abused before you saw it. Bad.

An elementary school allowed its first grade kids to bring snacks from home. Many became ill with allergic response from eating cookies. A child's mother made them with her breast milk. Like many here I ceased becoming surprised at what some people do. Corrections, inner city schools, security work, and working as a health inspector have made me a tad cynical. One of the ladies working in my doctor's office was a former student 25 years ago. Then she told me in class that "momma likes her dick and her dope." I wouldn't eat her cookies either.

TheNewbie
06-17-2018, 09:24 PM
Glutten since residency...

My future wife has the same issue. If she even takes communion she can get a canker sore.

The good news is she will not be stealing/eating my Pan Dulce.

TheNewbie
06-17-2018, 09:25 PM
Watch out for strawberries and kiwi joining the party, and be careful of latex. I got sensitized to latex by wearing latex gloves on EMS calls for 20+ years. I then developed allergy to avocado, then banana. My allergist tells me that those allergies are related, and often develop after one gets triggered.

That's interesting that they are related.

RevolverRob
06-17-2018, 09:30 PM

So, I'm allergic to bananas* and strawberries*. Initially, it was thought to be some enzyme in them - but it turns out it isn't those foods I'm allergic to. It's the pollen in the areas where they are grown. The way those plants are pollinated and where they grow results in cross-contamination of pollen from things I am allergic to. There is now a growing body of evidence that this is what's going on when folks are allergic to these foods. I'm also "allergic" to prickly pear.

South American grown bananas and strawberries from the southwestern US (not California) do not cause me to have an allergic reaction. Anything grown isolated in a greenhouse does not give me an allergic reaction. Many organic forms do not cause me to have allergic reactions, but some do, because "organic" is now a generic term.

wsr
06-17-2018, 09:31 PM

man i hope not, its bad enough not being able to eat banana or avocado...no strawberries would push me over the edge

wsr
06-17-2018, 09:34 PM
So, I'm allergic to bananas* and strawberries*. Initially, it was thought to be some enzyme in them - but it turns out it isn't those foods I'm allergic to. It's the pollen in the areas where they are grown. The way those plants are pollinated and where they grow results in cross-contamination of pollen from things I am allergic to. There is now a growing body of evidence that this is what's going on when folks are allergic to these foods. I'm also "allergic" to prickly pear.

South American grown bananas and strawberries from the southwestern US (not California) do not cause me to have an allergic reaction. Anything grown isolated in a greenhouse does not give me an allergic reaction. Many organic forms do not cause me to have allergic reactions, but some do, because "organic" is now a generic term.
any idea what the pollen is from that you are allergic to

Suvorov
06-17-2018, 09:39 PM
Banana's and Avocado's will give me bad stomach cramps and my body will attempt to get rid of it out of the nearest convenient exit point. Kiwi fruit and Figs will also have similar results. Oddly - this does not occur when the food has been cooked - I can eat banana bread without worry.

RevolverRob
06-17-2018, 09:49 PM
any idea what the pollen is from that you are allergic to

I wish I knew. According to the various allergy cross-reaction charts - It's probably ragweed - https://www.allergy-clinic.co.uk/allergies/airway-allergy/oral-allergy-syndrome/

I'm for sure very allergic to ragweed.

One way to test for OAS (Oral Allergy Syndrome) is to cook the things you're allergic to. For instance, cooked or dried bananas are perfectly palatable (and delicious) for me.

Dog Guy
06-17-2018, 10:37 PM
Banana's and Avocado's will give me bad stomach cramps and my body will attempt to get rid of it out of the nearest convenient exit point. Kiwi fruit and Figs will also have similar results. Oddly - this does not occur when the food has been cooked - I can eat banana bread without worry.

My allergist had my try cooked bananas because the heat destroys whatever it is that causes the allergy. It worked, and I can eat cooked bananas. Its amazing how much sugar comes out of a banana when you fry or bake it. I don't know if this solution crosses over to the other related foods or not. I'm not sure how appealing cooked avocado would be. I used to love sliced avocado with a little salt.

Nephrology
06-17-2018, 10:58 PM
My allergist had my try cooked bananas because the heat destroys whatever it is that causes the allergy. It worked, and I can eat cooked bananas. Its amazing how much sugar comes out of a banana when you fry or bake it. I don't know if this solution crosses over to the other related foods or not. I'm not sure how appealing cooked avocado would be. I used to love sliced avocado with a little salt.

Bananas foster....mmmmm.

willie
06-18-2018, 01:03 AM
We were taught that hydrolysis and fermentation were the only two processes that altered allergens sufficiently to prevent symptoms. That's in agreement with the fact that heat does not deactivate some bacterial toxins. Regardless, this area is or was one not fully understood. I remember this from an inservice and may have misstated some of it. The message, though, is not to assume.

Nephrology
06-18-2018, 08:29 AM
We were taught that hydrolysis and fermentation were the only two processes that altered allergens sufficiently to prevent symptoms. That's in agreement with the fact that heat does not deactivate some bacterial toxins. Regardless, this area is or was one not fully understood. I remember this from an inservice and may have misstated some of it. The message, though, is not to assume.

If the allergen is a protein it's quite possible for it to be heat-inactivated, depending on the antigenic epitope + quarternary structure. but yes, if the stakes are anaphylaxis, best to not do too much experimenting.

Dr_Thanatos
06-18-2018, 09:59 AM
100% lactose intolerant. Fun fact, most medication uses lactose as a binder. Kinda kills taking meds at bedtime. (Never take a laxative and a sleeping pill together)

Cilantro. It tastes like dirty socks to me anyway. That family also includes fenugreek.

Nightshades. No tomatoes, peppers or eggplant. Did you know that store bought 100% beef broth also contains tomato juice?

Yeah, there are entire countries I can't eat in.

Wayne Dobbs
06-18-2018, 10:05 AM
My future wife has the same issue. If she even takes communion she can get a canker sore.

The good news is she will not be stealing/eating my Pan Dulce.

We offer a gluten free option at Communion (corn tortilla, I believe).

UNM1136
06-18-2018, 11:56 AM
I ordered Mac and cheese as a side and she came back and told me they but mustard in their Mac. WTH who puts mustard in Mac and why?

Many cheese sauces start out as a milk and flour sauce or a roux (butter and flour), so essentially library paste that gets cheese added. I can't think of too many mac and cheese recipies that don't have ground mustard seed (also called mustard flour) to brighten the flavor of the sauce...traditionally acids are used to brighten and finish sauces, but acids do funny things to milk and egg protiens. I believe that all of my cheese souffle recipies also call for ground mustard.

Making it yourself is likely the only way to avoid it, or going with mass produced box stuff. Depending on what specifically you are allergic to it may include many similar or related foods, like certian hearty, bitter greens, horseradish ( including wasabi, which is a very distant relative), brassicas, and others.

Would hate to eat mac and cheese without mustard, paprika, or black pepper. And the best reason to make real mac and cheese is to make deep fried mac and cheese the next day.

pat

willie
06-18-2018, 12:03 PM
The combination of heat and pressure should denature any protein. Some toxins though are heat stabile. From the standpoint of food safety, we need to think of it like this: yes, cooking will destroy most toxins but may not destroy all. Said another way, 165 degrees F is the cooking temp for poultry, and 145 degrees F is the cooking temp for beef and pork. Stuffed lobster is 165 F. These temps may not destroy all bacterial toxins. Staph. aureus bacteria produces heat stable toxins, for example. Viruses cause most food borne illness. Poor personal hygiene is the primary cause. Ever noticed the number of people who leave public restrooms without washing hands? Some food workers do the same thing.

Food safety is a giant concern for persons thrust into a survival situation. I can address the basics in a thread if any here is interested.

TheNewbie
06-18-2018, 02:57 PM
The combination of heat and pressure should denature any protein. Some toxins though are heat stabile. From the standpoint of food safety, we need to think of it like this: yes, cooking will destroy most toxins but may not destroy all. Said another way, 165 degrees F is the cooking temp for poultry, and 145 degrees F is the cooking temp for beef and pork. Stuffed lobster is 165 F. These temps may not destroy all bacterial toxins. Staph. aureus bacteria produces heat stable toxins, for example. Viruses cause most food borne illness. Poor personal hygiene is the primary cause. Ever noticed the number of people who leave public restrooms without washing hands? Some food workers do the same thing.

Food safety is a giant concern for persons thrust into a survival situation. I can address the basics in a thread if any here is interested.

I would be interested in that .

TheNewbie
06-18-2018, 02:59 PM

That's interesting . Are you Catholic?

In the US I mostly see wine and bread offered, but in Mexico it seemed just bread was offered.

pangloss
06-18-2018, 03:46 PM
To echo what Nephrology said, I would be very cautious about counting on heat to inactivate food allergens. There are a ton of variables here. One of the proteins I previously worked with (neither a food allergen nor a toxin) could be boiled and still retained most of it's biological activity. Every protein is different. Also, it's possible that two people could be allergic to different parts of the same protein with heat destroying one epitope but not the other.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Wayne Dobbs
06-18-2018, 04:54 PM

In the US I mostly see wine and bread offered, but in Mexico it seemed just bread was offered.

United Methodist

Mr_White
06-18-2018, 05:01 PM
I'm intolerant of food I consider bad. Fortunately that is a low bar for me. Anyone want to share my Chicken in a Biskit crackers with Sharp Cheddar Cheese Wow! on them? (Made with Real Cheese it says.)

camsdaddy
06-18-2018, 06:38 PM
Many cheese sauces start out as a milk and flour sauce or a roux (butter and flour), so essentially library paste that gets cheese added. I can't think of too many mac and cheese recipies that don't have ground mustard seed (also called mustard flour) to brighten the flavor of the sauce...traditionally acids are used to brighten and finish sauces, but acids do funny things to milk and egg protiens. I believe that all of my cheese souffle recipies also call for ground mustard.

Making it yourself is likely the only way to avoid it, or going with mass produced box stuff. Depending on what specifically you are allergic to it may include many similar or related foods, like certian hearty, bitter greens, horseradish ( including wasabi, which is a very distant relative), brassicas, and others.

Would hate to eat mac and cheese without mustard, paprika, or black pepper. And the best reason to make real mac and cheese is to make deep fried mac and cheese the next day.

pat
That is very helpful. Normally I know the reason I feel bad after good Mac and cheese and that's good old fashion gluttony.

I'm intolerant of food I consider bad. Fortunately that is a low bar for me. Anyone want to share my Chicken in a Biskit crackers with Sharp Cheddar Cheese Wow! on them? (Made with Real Cheese it says.)
I think that means it was made in the vicinity of real cheese.

Nephrology
06-18-2018, 11:06 PM

Only if you promise not to ask to share my Dunkaroos (https://www.amazon.com/Dunkaroos-Frosting-Sprinkles-separate-detachable/dp/B00MH563LQ)

Darth_Uno
06-19-2018, 12:14 AM
Chocolate, and tomatoes (no, not at the same time). While I don’t get especially sick, even a very small amount moves things south in a hurry. Course I don’t particularly like either of them anyway, so I can usually avoid it. Except I do like pizza...I just have to eat it at home.

UNM1136
06-19-2018, 02:05 AM

We have loaves of bread and rice crackers and an alternative for those that can't tolerate, or prefer not to eat wheat, and because we have such a strong 12 step membership in the congregation, grape juice is used in lieu of wine. We are Presbyterian.

pat

NEPAKevin
06-20-2018, 01:18 PM
Only if you promise not to ask to share my Dunkaroos (https://www.amazon.com/Dunkaroos-Frosting-Sprinkles-separate-detachable/dp/B00MH563LQ)

Currently Unavailable :(

Nephrology
06-20-2018, 06:28 PM
:(

Literally the exact face I made when I saw that too

Greg
06-20-2018, 06:55 PM
I'm allergic to all shellfish. It sucks.

My reaction varies. Shrimp seems to be my kryptonite, just being in the kitchen when someone is cooking it will make me feel nauseous.

I have no problem with fish.

Robinson
06-22-2018, 10:05 AM
No food allergies, but I've had a couple gout flareups in the past year -- which sucks mightily. I take triamterene, so I have to drink lots of water anyway but I have to be careful about alcohol. I've cut down on beer consumption (the worst offender by reports), but cutting out bourbon is not on the list of things I want to do. I'm not a heavy drinker, but I enjoy bourbon 2-3 times per week. I drink tart cherry juice to help combat the gout, and I want to avoid starting gout medicines such as allopurinol.

luckyman
06-22-2018, 10:22 AM
No food allergies, but I've had a couple gout flareups in the past year -- which sucks mightily. I take triamterene, so I have to drink lots of water anyway but I have to be careful about alcohol. I've cut down on beer consumption (the worst offender by reports), but cutting out bourbon is not on the list of things I want to do. I'm not a heavy drinker, but I enjoy bourbon 2-3 times per week. I drink tart cherry juice to help combat the gout, and I want to avoid starting gout medicines such as allopurinol.

I’m on allopurinol and it seems pretty benign. Anything in particular you are worried about? Mind you I appreciate a “I just don’t want to take any more prescriptions than I have to” concern.

Guerrero
06-22-2018, 10:26 AM

Catholic parishes around me are increasingly offering gluten free hosts.

Guerrero
06-22-2018, 10:30 AM
Goddamn parsnips. My kid was doing some volunteer work on a farm and cutting down overgrown parsnip plants. It turns out that a significant part of the population is wildly sensitive to the juice from the plants. She is. Got something like 2nd degree chemical burns on arms, back and face.

Not to make light of the allergy... but I'm going to make light of it. The video below is from the cartoon "Phineas and Ferb" (a very funny show, BTW), the titular boys' older teenage sister is allergic to parsnips, which she encounters earlier is this episode. She runs to complain to their mom about the boys' antics, only to discover that mom is playing at a knitting/blues club, and, well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmcICsANIAk

Robinson
06-22-2018, 10:34 AM
I’m on allopurinol and it seems pretty benign. Anything in particular you are worried about? Mind you I appreciate a “I just don’t want to take any more prescriptions than I have to” concern.

Mostly what you said about not wanting to get on another medication. But specifically because I've read that allopurinol can have some adverse side effects. I don't know how common they are though.

Did you have any gout episodes when you started taking it? I understand many people do.

luckyman
06-22-2018, 04:15 PM
Mostly what you said about not wanting to get on another medication. But specifically because I've read that allopurinol can have some adverse side effects. I don't know how common they are though.

Did you have any gout episodes when you started taking it? I understand many people do.

No episodes. The doc started me at 1/3 dose IIRC and worked me up gradually. Might have even started at 1/6, don’t remember for sure.

rob_s
06-22-2018, 05:44 PM
If it wasn’t for food intolerance issues, I’d never read or oost on any forums.

JAD
06-22-2018, 09:28 PM
Catholic parishes around me are increasingly offering gluten free hosts.

They shouldn’t. The bread has to be bread and the wine has to be wine.

There are ways around it, though, and one doesn’t have to consume both species — I don’t take the cup.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-communion-gluten-20170717-story.html%3FoutputType%3Damp

MGW
06-22-2018, 09:35 PM
Oranges and anything that contains oranges give me terrible migraines.