PDA

View Full Version : RFI: Printers & Paper

Jay585
06-11-2018, 04:18 PM
Need to get a printer.

Wanting something to print the normal documents and shooting targets. I like targets on thicker paper (like the paper used for A-17 smallbore targets). Looking for a printer that can handle tagboard and the paper to go with it.

I don't print a lot of things and I don't print often so should I look at a laser printer? Ink cartridge printers seem to dry out on me often.

jc000
06-12-2018, 11:27 AM
Oh what the heck, this is pretty timely for me as well.

I too, want to hear anyone’s experience here. Would like something where the ink won’t dry out immediately, cost $400 to refill with ink, and can easily sync with a phone for printing. B/W only is ok, not looking for wacky paper sizes (letter is fine).

What’s the Glock 19 / Colt 6920 / Honda Civic / Olive Garden / Bob Dole / Journey (the band) of home printers?

JohnO
06-12-2018, 12:11 PM
I while ago I purchased an Epson printer for home. It worked so well I picked one up for my Boy Scout troop. Then I found out the hard way that Epson printers work great if you print frequently. If you don't print frequently the print head clogs and dries up rendering the device useless. Both machines went tits up.

I always had good luck with HP printers so I replaced the Epson with a HP (scan, copy, print & fax) and it has been perfect for long enough to decide it does not have the Epson problem.

JTQ
06-12-2018, 12:33 PM
Then I found out the hard way that Epson printers work great if you print frequently. If you don't print frequently the print head clogs and dries up rendering the device useless. Both machines went tits up.
Yes, that does happen, and it is annoying. However, our Epson has a "head cleaning" feature that works pretty well. It takes about 5 minutes to cycle through and the printer is back to normal.

Ink Jet printers, from whoever, Epson/Cannon/HP/etc. are all pretty cheap these days, in the $100 range, and are all pretty durable. They all seem to outlast my computers by at least a couple of years. Even if they didn't, they are so inexpensive it wouldn't bother me replacing one.

MEH
06-12-2018, 12:37 PM
I quit on inkjet a few years ago and got a cheaper Brother laser printer. I don't print often but it prints every time. Wifi setup was easy. App on the phone allows printing from phone. Don't know if it will feed thicker paper but maybe? Been very happy with it.

Drang
06-12-2018, 01:01 PM
Here's a fun fact: Ink jet cartridges have a built-in expiration date. Your cartridges may not have had clogged heads, they may have simply been past their pull date. We had an older all-in-one that took large ink cartridges, which we replaced party because it didn't do wi-fi, and partly because we kept having to replace the cartridges. We went to Costco and got an HP all-in-one that was advertised for small/home office use.

I had a laser printer, used it so little that when the toner cartridge ran out replacing it was as expensive as a new printer. (It was a Lexmark 4019, when Lexmark was a subsidiary of IBM.)

An ink jet that prints, scans, and copies in color is great. I wish I could justify one that would handle 11 x 17 paper, but I really can't; 8.5x14 is reasonable, though. (FAST target...)

You can probably set the printer to handle heavier than "normal" stock, but I don't know that it's necessary, unless maybe you're printing on actual card stock. At work I print certain documents on "tear resistant" paper, and have seen no need to change the paper weight.

The only thing I don't like about the ink jet is that I can't print on Rite In The Rain brand paper; there are some documents associated with amateur radio I'd like to do that with.

JohnO
06-12-2018, 01:17 PM
Yes, that does happen, and it is annoying. However, our Epson has a "head cleaning" feature that works pretty well. It takes about 5 minutes to cycle through and the printer is back to normal.

Ink Jet printers, from whoever, Epson/Cannon/HP/etc. are all pretty cheap these days, in the $100 range, and are all pretty durable. They all seem to outlast my computers by at least a couple of years. Even if they didn't, they are so inexpensive it wouldn't bother me replacing one.

I went through many iterations of "head cleanings" with unacceptable results. At best it brought back one color. I tried other suggested fixes like wet paper towels under the print head and injecting cleaning solution with a syringe into the print head and could not bring it back to life.

All the ink jet printers out there a cheap. The manufacturers want to hook you into buying their ink. Ink is where they make the big bucks.

Grey
06-12-2018, 02:58 PM
Just bought a "brother" printer. 99 bucks for a black and white laser jet. Works great so far.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

JohnO
06-12-2018, 04:40 PM
Just bought a "brother" printer. 99 bucks for a black and white laser jet. Works great so far.

Did you check the prices on cartridge refills? I looked at a laser jet at Costco. Costco didn't have the toner cartridges but the price I found for the cartridges made me nix the laser jet idea.

Actually the guy at Costco said he has a mail order service that sends him cartridges based on his predicted usage. It sounded like a good deal but I generally don't like to sign up for automatic refill deals.

Grey
06-12-2018, 04:46 PM
Did you check the prices on cartridge refills? I looked at a laser jet at Costco. Costco didn't have the toner cartridges but the price I found for the cartridges made me nix the laser jet idea.

Actually the guy at Costco said he has a mail order service that sends him cartridges based on his predicted usage. It sounded like a good deal but I generally don't like to sign up for automatic refill deals.

41 bucks for a 1,200 page refill. If it doesn't go to shit like inkjet cartridges do, I am happy.

peterb
06-12-2018, 05:17 PM
We’ve had one of the small Brother laser printers for a couple of years and have been pleased. Easy to print from phone/tablet. Cartridge does not dry out and lasts a long time. No experience trying to print heavier stock.

olstyn
06-12-2018, 07:33 PM
We’ve had one of the small Brother laser printers for a couple of years and have been pleased. Easy to print from phone/tablet. Cartridge does not dry out and lasts a long time. No experience trying to print heavier stock.

That mirrors my experience. Got tired of feeling like we were throwing money away constantly on ink, decided we wouldn't miss color much, and got a network-capable (wi-fi and ethernet) Brother laser for a little over $100. The toner cartridges last a good long time, cost considerably less than replacing the many colors of ink our old Canon inkjet took, and don't go bad just sitting there. Haven't tried anything heavier than "normal" paper in it, but I have no regrets. Wouldn't go back to an inkjet unless photo printing was a need.

rayrevolver
06-12-2018, 07:37 PM
I feel like I hit the jackpot with HPs "Instant Ink" program.

I can print 14 pages a month for free. When ink runs low the printer talks to the mothership and ink shows up. I send the empties back.

If I go over 14 pages, its $1 for 10 additional pages. Of course there are different packages, some with a monthly fee.

Best deal ever considering the cost of ink. The printer was $75 and I have spent maybe $5 in the last year on ink. Just make sure its eligible for Instant Ink and done!

txdpd
06-12-2018, 08:44 PM
I have a Samsung ML2850D, I think it's about 8 years old. When my wife was in college she burned through reams of paper and the cost of toner vs ink quickly made the laser printer more economical. The original toner cartridge was a 2000 page unit, I'm on the second remanufactured 5000 page unit. The current cartridge is about 5 years old and fires up without a hiccup. I think the printer was around $300, and I've another spent $90 on toner. I think laser is the way to go.

Grey
06-12-2018, 09:04 PM

I can print 14 pages a month for free. When ink runs low the printer talks to the mothership and ink shows up. I send the empties back.

If I go over 14 pages, its $1 for 10 additional pages. Of course there are different packages, some with a monthly fee.

Best deal ever considering the cost of ink. The printer was $75 and I have spent maybe $5 in the last year on ink. Just make sure its eligible for Instant Ink and done!I guess that works if you barely print anything.

mmc45414
06-12-2018, 09:15 PM
Be aware that some of the lasers do not even come with a legit toner cartridge to start with, it is a starter cartridge that is only partially full. I still favor the laser, especially if you want to do targets.

David S.
06-12-2018, 09:34 PM
My local Craigslist has simple black ink only, 3-in-1 Brother laser printers for less than $50. If you don't mind the size an no color, they're much faster and cheaper in the long run than ink jet printers. WiFi capability is worth it. Just make sure the toner cartridges are available for the model. Maybe buy a couple, just in case they get discontinued. My toner cartridges last 5-6 years at the rate I use it.

LtDave
06-13-2018, 09:09 PM
Another satisfied Brother laser printer user here. My color one is a little over 8 years old and running strong. Just now due for the second toner cartridge replacement. My older B&W Brother laser must be closer to 12 years old and got passed down to my girlfriend. It continues to work fine. I’d never go back to an inkjet.

TQP
06-13-2018, 10:49 PM
I have an HP LJ1018 (B&W laser)on my desk. I don't know how old it is but the current driver on HP's website is dated 2009. Mine is older than that.

Still running. I replaced the 'starter' ( 2k pages) toner with a full sized (5k) one, and have just about killed the 2nd cartridge. I may print 100 pages at once, and then not print anything for 3 months. Laser fits my printing pattern better than inkjet.

We have a color laser also, which works well for everything but photos. Ours is a Xerox Phaser 6010, similarly but not quite as old.

In this period of time we've gone through 4? inkjets, which have given us the sort of trouble others have mentioned. Inkjets are bad for intermittent printing.

I can't get cartridges for any of the old inkjets any more. I can still buy toner, from the manufacturer and aftermarket, for both lasers.

beenalongtime
06-14-2018, 01:17 AM
I've been using a laser printer for years now. Brother has been my preference, although my needs and yours may differ. I didn't look for/want an all in one. (copy/scan so infrequently, I can use a family members if I need to do that), but I wanted higher capacity and Linux compatibility. I went with their HL series and when my first one had issues, (around 5 years old?) I started watching for a bargain, and found mine via Costco for $99 (online only). I am still on the starter cartridge, as a full cartridge "yields approx 8000 pages". (my last one was just finished its first full cartridge when it died)
I know these will do both thicker type of papers and legal sizes, but am unsure of your paper requirements. There are some thicker cardboard types of papers, that I would just go to a commercial place to print on.
On Brother printers, D in the number means duplexing, N means networking (wired), and W means Wireless. (think stand alone print server)

jc000
06-14-2018, 05:53 AM

Best deal ever considering the cost of ink. The printer was $75 and I have spent maybe $5 in the last year on ink. Just make sure its eligible for Instant Ink and done!

This was one of the programs we were looking at. I’ve got to do some math and figure out if this works for us. We print somewhat sporadically, but it can be heavy at times.

Otherwise the consensus seems to gravitate around the Brother printers. Really appreciate all the great feedback!