PDA

View Full Version : Recommending A Gun/Platform Today

JonInWA
02-15-2012, 05:27 PM
There have been some recent discussions that prompted me to start this discussion. On this forum, the recent (and ongoing) thread "Why exactly doesn't Beretta...", on the Pistol-Training forum, Todd Green's recent blog on Integrity http://pistol-training.com/, on M4carbine.net, a recent (and again ongoing) thread where a participant asks for comparisons/recommendations regarding the HK P30 versus the Glock G19, as well as personally having friends, asociates, family members, co-workers, etc. asking me personally for my input regarding their personal selections (as I'm sure many of us on this forum frequently undergo).

We're at an interesting time-as Todd relayed in his blog, the industry seems to be confounded by a fundamental inability to produce (or perhaps more accurately, consistantly produce) defensive/combat/service weapons that are inherently of quality design and quality manufacture, and have quality aftermarket service/support.

As Todd has posited, it seems that the industry achieves what to them is an acceptable level of performance and quality in a platform, and then relies on statistics to insulate them from the probable fallacies inherent to the platform-those statistics being that most guns sold will 1) Actually see relatively little use/low round counts over their owner's ownership period; 2) that most guns are designed of sufficiently high quality materials/manufacturing processes to make predictive operational/materials failures statistically fairly low within the gun/platform's projected/forecasted/contractual lifespan, and that if issues occur, there's a reliance on their customer service support department to resolve said issues without incurring disproportonate expenses; and 3) that achieving an initial lower sale cost per unit trumps providing higher quality from the onset (which would significantly prevent predictable failures within the gun's forecasted lifespan, but would result in a higher initial pricing to maintain an acceptable level of profitability).

Interestingly, this was the sitation that the automobile industry faced in the latter part of the 20th century. Then, a paradigm shift occurred; planned obsolescense (and poorly designed and manufactured vehicles) was gradually superceded by market forces; primarily high-quality, well-priced (but not the least expensive in most cases) vehicles from Japan, notably Toyota and Honda. Currently, I literally can't think of any "bad" cars; performance, reliability and durability has consistantly been achieved by literally all major manufacturers so that we now have safe, reliable, durable, and high-featured vehicles, generally capable of lasting for 100K miles, pretty much with just routine periodic maintenance-and this is for a consumer products operating in a huge variety of environments, by users of hugely variable skills, and with a product involving a propulsive system dependant upon continuous explosions and component reciprocation(s) to function. Certainly, there are vehicles that perform better within defined niches, and vehicles that are more desirable than others, and vehicles that are less maintenance-intensive (or less expensive to maintain) than others-but I honestly can't think of any contemporary Yugos, Trabants, Vegas or Pintos being foisted on consumers.

Then we get to firearms-specifically, pistols. On its face, things really shouldn't be all that difficult; the basic technology and science has been around since the 15th century. Materials, metallurgy, finishes, manufacturing techniques and capabilities, marketing, and cartridge/bullet capabilities have undergone (and are continually undergoing) quantum qualitative increases since the beginning of the 20th century. The operational cycle of a semi-automatic pistol doesn't seem to present that much of an unsurmountable obstacle, as the ignition and reciprocation process seems to provide ample time and relatively easily harnessable forces regarding both initial firing and repeated firings within contemporary materials, design and production constraints. And yet, it seems that there is some sort of an inherent difficulty in providing a quality, reliable, ergonomic, easily operated and maintained firearm at an acceptable price point to a willing (and capable of buying) marketplace.

And yet-we have the current state of affairs. 9mm M&Ps seemingly incapable of being consistantly produced at acceptable accuracy levels, and .45 M&Ps with their magazine spring issues, Gen4 Glock G17 and G19s with their extraction and ejection issues, Springfield XDs with their longevity and design issues, Beretta PX4 's with their operational issues-and the beat goes on...(and we're not even getting CLOSE to the 1911 pattern pistols!).

Currently, there are only a few products that I feel comfortable in recommending-and some of those are with significant caveats. I think that the Beretta 92 series in 9mm remains a quite viable and high-quality platform, albeit a bit dated in terms of design and bulk. I suspect that the 92 has retained it's relative operational qualitative edge significantly due to the demands and requirements inherent to the M9/M10 military contracts (and the ongoing product performance standards/sampling/testing inherent to the contract), and that since those systems are already in place for the military contract production guns, that it would be disproportionately expensive to remove them for the commercial/LEO market guns (or perhaps I'm just being a bit cynical here...). I also feel that the need to view the trigger return spring as a somewhat limited lifespan component, with a recommended replacement interval of 5K trigger manipulations (and yes, I deliberately am saying manipulations, to cover both live- and dry-fire) as a bit of a design/material weak point; while the spring is fairly easily removed and replaced (but nowhere nearly as simple as swapping out the recoil spring/recoil spring assembly-but it just takes a minute or so to do with minimal training), (and inexpensive, and easily available from both Beretta and Wolff Gunsprings), that's an inordinately short lifesapn for such a component, in my opinion (however, a superior {in my opinion} replacement component is Wolff's Trigger Conversion Unit {TCU}, a trapped coil spring with a much higer level of durability/longevity, but due to manufacturing changes in current 92/96 series triggers, unless you have an older all-steel trigger, the TCU will not work {or you can replace the OEM polymer/steel trigger with the older all-steel trigger, and then it'll be installable). The good news is that Beretta did significantly strengthen their OEM trigger return spring some 8 or so years ago, but I think that just makes it fully capable of going the 5K manipulation distance instead of breaking earlier (and, if the trigger return spring breaks, the gun isn't rendered totally inoperable-you just need to manually push/pull the trigger to its foward position after each, where its engaged by the triggerbar/triggerbar spring, which actually provides the tension needed to fire the gun; but obviously that's not an ideal combat fix). And yes; a Beretta 92 series gun will require more lubrication (and has more lubrication points) than most of its contemporary competitors, but I don't regard that in and of itself as an automatic disqualificant-you just have to know that it needs to be done, and check/re-apply as necessary.

SIG-Sauer's relatively inexpensive (and relatively unmarketed) Sigpro 2022 seems to quietly chug along, with little user complaints. Again, we have here a weapon that has achieved significant military/LEO success (particularly with the French contracts), and is presumably subject to ongoing production testing reviews and constraints inherent to their contracts.

Within its forecasted lifespan, current production (i.e., post 1994) FN/Browning Hi Powers actually seem to do quite well; the caveat here is that barrel lifespan is generally viewed at 12K-15K rounds, and the basic platform lifespan is forecasted to be around 35K rounds, and that replacement components can be expensive. And it's a single-action gun, requiring a higher degree of user training and awareness by definition, which may be preclusive in and of itself for certain users. And, they're pretty expensive; the street price on BNIB Hi Powers is around $900, and the .40 varients have been discontinued. Within these caveats, however, I think that a Hi Power can still be a valid choice, but it's competing against some stiff competition, particularly if one compares it to some of the contemporary HK choices utilized in their single-action varient modes.

Ruger's GP100 revolver seems to soldier on quite nicely, despite some reletively recent production and material changes. However, mastering the DA revolver trigger and reloading process is somewhat skill intensive, and it's six cartridge capacity may be preclusive of acceptability by some users. I personally much preferred the original Ruger/Lett large and small grip choices as opposed to the current Hogue grip, universally applied to all contemporary GP100 production (aside to the very limited production batches of sporadic distributer specials)

Heckler & Koch's P2000, P30, P30L, HK 45 and HK45C have played well; they certainly seem to be exceptionally ergonomic, and have multiple configurations of grips and trigger configurations. Their manufacture quality seems to be consistantly high. However, they have been plagued with an abysmal reputation for aftermarket support, parts availability, and even magazine availability and high pricing-although there are certainly reports that this is changing, and may in fact have changed. Reviews of their triggers and trigger reset aften seem to indicate relative mediocrity, perhaps aceptable at a lower price point, less so at their selling point of nearly $1K; at that price point, a user in my opinion absolutely should not have a need to subject the gun to further gunsmithing or component modifications to achieve a basically decent triggerpull and trigger/triggerguard interface) acceptability already inherent is a competitor at literally half the price (comparing, for example, a HK45 with a Gen4 Glock G21). By most accounts that I've gone over from people that I respect, the LEM (particularly the light LEM) seems to be the best way to go-but that's not always an available, or easily accessed OEM option-and again, you're looking at an additional expense to an already pricey platform.

Ahh, Glock. I'm a major Glock proponent. They're usually tough, accurate, incredibly easy to use, field-strip, detail disassemble, and reassemble, and durable for at least 100K rounds-at least, that was the standard achieved by pre-2011 9mm G17 and G19s. Then came the fiasco of the Gen4 deployment...Currently, I feel totally comfortable in recommending only the Gen4 G21 out of the Gen4 palette without any caveats. I THINK that the recoil spring assembly, extractor, and ejector issues have been worked out in the Gen4 G17 and G19s, but there's insufficient fielding on contemporary production guns for me to recommend them without the caveat that they might well need further ministrations by Glock (or by the operator/armorer replacing certain parts)-and there are indications from sources that I trust that issues might not crop up until 1K-4K rounds have gone through individual guns. I think that Gen4 .40 caliber guns are now good to go, and are in fact superior in design (particularly concerning longevity) to their Gen 3 predecessors. Gen 3 concurrently produced guns suffer from a material change induced around the 2010 timeframe regarding extractors, particularly reported with Gen 3 G17 and G19s. Reportedly Glock has come up with revised components (i.e., extractors and ejectors) to resolve such issues, but again I recommend them with caveats until they've undergone sufficient time and use (and testing by/within the field). I really, really wish that Glock had left the G17 and G19 basically alone in their proven Gen 3 configuration (and with the previous extractor), perhaps providing simply a modified receiver incorporating the Gen4 magazine release and backstrap options as an alternative (and,as a minor aside, perhaps incorporating the backstrap pin pusher into a butt plug for the receiver cavity, instead of rattling around loose in the gun's case, but that's a pretty minor suggestion, as I strongly suspect that most will either choose to use none of the attachable backstrap options, or pick one and leave it pretty much permanantly installed)...I'm optimistic in seeing how the Gen4 concepts play out in the .357 and 10mm platform Glocks; on their face, it would seem to be an ideal marriage for such higher pressure/quickly spiking pressure curved cartridges, in terms of both performance and longevity/durability. Time will tell; I can certainly envision a Gen4 G31/G32 on my purchase radar, but it's not to the point where I'm going to necessarily recommmend it to others yet.

That's a pretty short list. I'll be interested to see what others think (Yeah, and the opinions of the guy preferential to orange as well). This forum seems to have a high number of objective, experienced participants; the ride should be interesting.

Best, Jon

Nephrology
02-16-2012, 08:15 AM
My modus operandi has always been to buy used, high quality firearms in order to get the best "bang for my buck" if you can excuse the terrible pun.

So I will continue to recommend Gen 3 9mm glocks. They are still in great abundance in the used market and should be good to go with maybe just a few spring replacements to ensure proper function.

I also have not heard much issue with the Gen 4 G26/G27s though admittedly they probably don't get as many rounds through them as their compact/FS cousins.

ToddG
02-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Great post, Jon.

The biggest problem with trying to set out what guns are "good" is that the manufacturers are constantly trying to prove us wrong. Take the M&P9. When it came out, except for a few little glitches, it was great. Over time, various changes were made and a gun that I once recommended whole heartedly is now questionable.

On the other hand, guns that we know are "bad" also get treatment from their manufacturers. Again, let's take the M&P9. It went through a period with some really serious extraction issues, mags dropping due to improperly machined frames, strikers breaking in dry fire... but all of those problems have been resolved to one extent or another.

So what we thought about the M&P9 five years ago was different than three years ago was different than last year is different than now.

The Glock 9mm gen4 fiasco is another great example. My opinion of the gen4 G17 is much more positive given recent improvements, but I still see G19s with problems out of the box or within the first few thousand rounds. And because of the nature of the problem -- and the very fact that it sometimes takes thousands of rounds to rear its head -- it's very tough to feel confident in the 19.

My opinion of the HK trigger is different from Jon's (and in fact I've had to put more effort into getting a good trigger pull out of my Glock than I did the P30 or HK45) and I'm also a bit distanced from the parts availability issue because of direct contact with the company. But right now, in terms of buying a gun over the counter and being able to rely on it for a lifetime out of the box, I don't think anyone can touch HK. But even they make lemons, and at least two folks on this forum have had problems with their HKs recently.

So where does this take us? To answer the implied question in the thread title: what I recommend today is a healthy sense of skepticism, a willingnes to test the gun upon arrival, and an acceptance of the possibility that you'll spend time and money shipping it back to the manufacturer to get it fixed if it has a problem. No company is beyond that point right now. Some are less likely to drag you down the path than others, but they're all susceptible to problems. And perhaps most importantly of all, the performance of the gun today isn't a guarantee of how guns of the same make and model will run next year.

mwilt72
02-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Great post.

The OP has thoroughly explored the same problems I've been struggling with as I try to convert from .40 to 9mm. I rolled the dice on a Gen4G19 and came up with extractor/ejector issues, and I was so frustrated I just sold it. I'm leery of trying again with Glock/M&P for the reasons set forth so eloquently above. I don't have the kind of spare change it would take to keep buying pistols and shooting a few thousand rounds through them to see if they'll be adequate. HK is probably a good bet, but I hear the LEM trigger can be continuously humbling.

I'm thinking about a Walther PPQ. Sweet trigger, g19 sizing, it sounds too good to be true. Maybe the platform is new enough and the round counts are low enough that we haven't seen what evils await the unwary.

k831
02-16-2012, 03:10 PM
I'm thinking about a Walther PPQ. Sweet trigger, g19 sizing, it sounds too good to be true. Maybe the platform is new enough and the round counts are low enough that we haven't seen what evils await the unwary.

I hope, as you do, that the PPQ is as good as it looks. I'm about to pull the trigger (darn those puns) on a PPQ with a PPS to match and see how they fare. Here in AZ, find myself wanting to carry single stack pistols during the summer. I hope to rotate PPS as summer carry and PPQ as winter. Watching buddies deal with Gen4 G19 issues, and being a little disappointed in my M&P's accuracy, I have begun again to go through this proccess.

The cyclical issues described above in Todd's post really makes me feel that, if you have a "proven" individual weapon that you have personally put through the paces, its worth it's weight in gold. Regardless of make/model.

DocGKR
02-16-2012, 03:30 PM
mwilt72--Why not just get a used gen 2 or 3 9 mm Glock?

All these problems with modern factory guns almost make a well executed custom 1911 look like a bargain...

TGS
02-16-2012, 03:34 PM
This is a general comment, so when I write "you" it doesn't refer to anyone in particular.

Perhaps the parts availability and aftermarket support on HK pistols sucks because you keep buying other pistols....hmmm, gee, whoda'thunk. That's a novel idea....but no, go ahead and keep buying crap from Glock, SIG and S&W instead.

Perhaps HK has higher prices because:
1) They don't use their customers as beta testers. They extensively test their pistols, and don't release them to the market with the plethora of problems that fill the history of the M&P, Glock or SIG pistols. What recent skeletons in the closet does HK have?

2) Their CS and warranty is second to none.

3) Their QC is notably higher. Everyone makes a lemon, that's a given. But if anyone thinks that SIG, Glock or S&W make pistols of equal aggregate quality, I want some of what your smoking.

Doesn't make much sense to say they're overpriced when they're the only ones already doing what you want the other companies to do.

Maybe if instead of complaining about high prices and buying from the same shit companies over and over again, you could buy pistols from the one company who has definitely not slipped into a slump of crappy product testing and QC. Maybe the others will get the hint.

My opinion is this market is a self-inflicted wound. You keep supporting and buying pistols from the people you're complaining about and expect them to change....that makes sense.

Something to chew on.

JodyH
02-16-2012, 03:41 PM
The H&K P and 45 series are the best things going for out of the box defensive handguns.
They are the only pistols I have zero reservations recommending.

I really think the Walther PPQ will uphold the Teutonic tradition of excellence.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

TNWNGR
02-16-2012, 04:22 PM
I don’t dispute the issue of Glock having problems with the 4th Gen 1/19 or the 22/23/27 pistols. I haven’t observed any problems in any of these nor have my agencies training officers indicated any problems. It’s all about the statistical base you’re working with which would account for my own lack of observations. Still, given over twenty years of experience with the Glock 17/19/22/23 and 27’s I’ve carried on and off duty I’ll recommend a 4th gen G-19 over any of the other polymer 9mm pistols. Hands down it’s a biased recommendation and I’ll not argue it, but it’s my recommendation.
I’ve owned S&W, H&K, Colt, Browning and Sig pistol’s that were lemons but never a Glock. I don’t even like Glock pistol, instead I prefer Series 70 Colt 1911 or Browning High Powers but I shoot Glock’s. When I retire I’ll continue to have a Glock available for carry or training. Other’s tell me how much they love the S&W M&P 9, I like it too but just haven’t owned one. What it comes down to is what has proven itself to you under the worst of conditions.

mwilt72
02-16-2012, 04:36 PM
mwilt72--Why not just get a used gen 2 or 3 9 mm Glock?

I'm not even an armchair gunsmith, and I don't feel entirely comfortable evaluating a used pistol. I guess I'm afraid I'll end up with someone else's problem gun.

Also, my understanding is that the newer 3rd generation g19's are plagued with the same ejector/extractor problems as the 4's. Unless there's a serial number below which they're less likely to misbehave?

I really think the Walther PPQ will uphold the Teutonic tradition of excellence.

I hope, as you do, that the PPQ is as good as it looks.

I've been following the PPQ thread here and reading over at the WaltherForums, and it sounds good so far. Maybe I should quit hemming and hawing and just go ahead and pick one up. It's just that I've been jilted before, and I don't know if I can open my heart again...

My opinion is this market is a self-inflicted wound. You keep supporting and buying pistols from the people you're complaining about and expect them to change....that makes sense.

I agree. It brings to mind what Tam said about the primaries (http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2011/11/overheard-in-comments-section.html), quoted here out of context: "Keep ordering syphilitic camel, and they'll just stop putting anything else on the menu..."

JHC
02-16-2012, 04:43 PM
mwilt72 - FWIW buying and older used Glock 9mm is pretty safe. The gun is overbuilt for 9mm. Glock will do a free "inspect and upgrade". It's about the lowest risk used gun one can buy.

JHC
02-16-2012, 04:50 PM
I’ll recommend a 4th gen G-19 over any of the other polymer 9mm pistols. Hands down it’s a biased recommendation and I’ll not argue it, but it’s my recommendation.

I am cautious about recommendations these crazy days however our sample of two early edition Gen 4 G19s have been outstanding. 5K rounds through one and 2250 through the second with one FTF and one FTE combined. And those were with lowest avail price 115 gr training ammo.

ToddG
02-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Still, given over twenty years of experience with the Glock 17/19/22/23 and 27’s I’ve carried on and off duty I’ll recommend a 4th gen G-19 over any of the other polymer 9mm pistols.

That is exactly the issue at hand here.

You've got 20 years of positive experience with Company-G. You've used lots of their products and been very satisfied.

But now they've got something new -- and "new" can mean a new model or just a change in which vendor makes a certain widget that goes inside the gun -- and you're assuming it's as good to go as the old version.

Reality simply does not follow that assumption. Just like the Beretta 9000S didn't deserve the accolades that the 92-series guns earned, the 9mm gen4 Glocks are indisputably less reliable (as a fleet) than the previous years' production. While there are certainly folks who will tell you they've got substantial numbers of rounds through 9mm gen4 Glocks, I'd be willing to be that a quick survey of our membership here at PF tallies more failed gen4 9mm Glocks than flawless ones, especially if we only count guns that have gone 2k+ rounds.

I'm not trying to throw Glock under the bus. I've got a G17 gen4 on the nightstand right next to me as I type this.

farscott
02-16-2012, 06:11 PM
My issues with HK, and my wife owns a 9x19 P30, is getting parts and support. Perhaps the issue has been solved, but my experience with HK and P7M8 parts was a total debacle. I do not hold grudges, but I am not sure I want to put myself in position to get burned. I also cannot walk into any LGS and find HK products. The brand is not stocked, and the closest HK support would mean me driving from my home in north Alabama to Trussville. My wife is still smarting from the prices for spare P30 magazines, but I have to admit she loves the P30 and shoots it amazingly well. Walther would be even worse as the closest support would be S&W.

Contrast that to Glock which has guns, parts, and armorers available everywhere. Plus the Glock is simple enough that I can do the armorer work. Glock may not be perfect, but my experience with the guns and the customer support have both been positive. As such, Glock is my choice.

JHC
02-16-2012, 06:53 PM
That is exactly the issue at hand here.

You've got 20 years of positive experience with Company-G. You've used lots of their products and been very satisfied.

But now they've got something new -- and "new" can mean a new model or just a change in which vendor makes a certain widget that goes inside the gun -- and you're assuming it's as good to go as the old version.

Reality simply does not follow that assumption. Just like the Beretta 9000S didn't deserve the accolades that the 92-series guns earned, the 9mm gen4 Glocks are indisputably less reliable (as a fleet) than the previous years' production. While there are certainly folks who will tell you they've got substantial numbers of rounds through 9mm gen4 Glocks, I'd be willing to be that a quick survey of our membership here at PF tallies more failed gen4 9mm Glocks than flawless ones, especially if we only count guns that have gone 2k+ rounds.

I'm not trying to throw Glock under the bus. I've got a G17 gen4 on the nightstand right next to me as I type this.

I drink as much koolaid as anybody but when my 2LT was planning to buy a spare Gen 4 G17 to be his high volume training gun vs his primary, I sold him mine (over 9K GTG) rather than see him take his chances. I watch this pretty close and I think the survey would turn out as Todd predicted.

I think the signs are showing that newer Gen 4's are consistently turning out better but as Todd mentioned somewhere, that's more 17 weighted than 19s.

medsteele
02-16-2012, 11:09 PM
This is the problem I'm faced with at the moment. I'm looking for a dead nuts reliable handgun for HD and range time, and I really, really want a Gen4 G17. But I can't bring myself to buy one knowing there is a very good chance it'll let me down. This wouldn't be my first handgun, but right now I don't own any (and sold my Gen3 G17 two years ago with only a box of ammo through it; I'd kill for that gun now).

I also like the HK USP9 and P30, but that's nearly double the price. Then again, maybe it's worth it for something that stands an excexceptional chance of not letting me down. Of course, chances are I might be able to fix any potential issues with the Glock for less than $50. It's a hard decision.

Kimura
02-16-2012, 11:20 PM
This is a general comment, so when I write "you" it doesn't refer to anyone in particular.

Perhaps the parts availability and aftermarket support on HK pistols sucks because you keep buying other pistols....hmmm, gee, whoda'thunk. That's a novel idea....but no, go ahead and keep buying crap from Glock, SIG and S&W instead.

Perhaps HK has higher prices because:
1) They don't use their customers as beta testers. They extensively test their pistols, and don't release them to the market with the plethora of problems that fill the history of the M&P, Glock or SIG pistols. What recent skeletons in the closet does HK have?

2) Their CS and warranty is second to none.

3) Their QC is notably higher. Everyone makes a lemon, that's a given. But if anyone thinks that SIG, Glock or S&W make pistols of equal aggregate quality, I want some of what your smoking.

Doesn't make much sense to say they're overpriced when they're the only ones already doing what you want the other companies to do.

Maybe if instead of complaining about high prices and buying from the same shit companies over and over again, you could buy pistols from the one company who has definitely not slipped into a slump of crappy product testing and QC. Maybe the others will get the hint.

Something to chew on.

In some ways, I agree with this. People do complain about the cost of HKs, but right now, I'm wondering if it's possible to make a good, reliable pistol that sells for $500.00. I, like others, think that Glock should have left the Gen 3 9mm guns as they were, but from a business point of view I understand the dilemma. They felt they had to consolidated on parts in order to maintain a profit. HKs, relative to the competition are expensive, but you really don't hear about a lot of problems with the guns. Of course problems exist, but it doesn't seem like they exist with the same frequency as they do with some of the other brands. Doc brought up the custom 1911 and I think he was half joking, but at least with one I can be fairly sure that if I do the maintenance in the required intervals, my pistol probably won't throw a part up at an inopportune moment.

I have a late Gen 3 Glock 17. I like Glocks, but this pistol doesn't have a lot of rounds through it and is already becoming finicky. Not a good sign in my opinion. Now considering, my gun got finicky on the range, I just got a little annoyed, put it back in my range bag and pulled out another gun. I don't even want to think about what happens to the guy whose gun doesn't work when he needs it. And as I sit here and type, my late 90s Sig P226 is sitting next to me because it's never been finicky about anything. And as I look at this gun, knowing the cost of it fifteen years ago was almost $700.00, I realize that in order for Sig to make this gun today and sell it at a profit, the cost would probably be somewhere in $1300.00-$1500.00 range. That would be ok with me, but probably not with most people. Which brings me back to HK. Maybe in order to get a pistol that works as it should we have to spend $1000.00 or more. And as long as it works all the time, maybe that's a bargain.

GJM
02-16-2012, 11:43 PM
It is clear as mud. You can buy a Gen 4 Glock that may or may not be reliable, a M&P 9 that will likely be reliable but is 50/50 as to whether it will be acceptably accurate, or a HK that will be reliable and accurate, but likely can't be shot as well as either the Glock or M&P.

TGS
02-16-2012, 11:58 PM
I'm thinking they can make a profit at $500 and still do better QC and design testing.

People have posted (here or other forums, can't remember) the break down of what it actually costs Glock to make a pistol. There's a decent margin there....not to mention they're not even THAT cheap unless you get a Blue Label. You can get a brand new P2000 for around $750. What's a Glock? Not that much less, considering you're already paying so many hundreds of dollars...It's like going to a restaurant and debating on price over the filet mignon for $30 or Sirloin for $26...pretty silly if you ask me. The difference is bigger with the P30 or HK45, but at the same time people don't blink an eye over a $2000 1911 or $1100 SIG. But HK? OOOOooooOOO, they're overpriced! You're just paying for the name!

SIG really gets me. Their marketing and product line is even more gimmicky than Taurus, and their QC isn't much better. Nor their service department/warranty. Yet their cost is right up there with HK.

I think HK still has pride in their work, which is why they choose to make a relatively unpopular product that costs more. Think about this: their Gray Room could probably earn a million dollars or more if they auctioned it off.....but they keep it, as nothing more but a piece of pride in their company history. That's telling.

Long tom coffin
02-17-2012, 01:48 AM
It is clear as mud. You can buy a Gen 4 Glock that may or may not be reliable, a M&P 9 that will likely be reliable but is 50/50 as to whether it will be acceptably accurate, or a HK that will be reliable and accurate, but likely can't be shot as well as either the Glock or M&P.

Yep. And the glocks can be fixed. I still think it's ridiculous that aftermarket parts may be needed to make some glocks run smoothly, but realistically, a new gen 4 + an HRED and new extractor is still well under the price of an HK. And that's even IF the glock develops problems. Despite everything I've read on the internuts, in personal experience I've got a 1 in 12 ratio for Gen4's I've personally seen repeatedly fail versus ones that I have personally seen be perfectly reliable. I still do recommend Gen 4's. With a proviso.

Kimura
02-17-2012, 02:34 AM
I'm thinking they can make a profit at $500 and still do better QC and design testing.

People have posted (here or other forums, can't remember) the break down of what it actually costs Glock to make a pistol. There's a decent margin there....not to mention they're not even THAT cheap unless you get a Blue Label. You can get a brand new P2000 for around $750. What's a Glock? Not that much less, considering you're already paying so many hundreds of dollars...It's like going to a restaurant and debating on price over the filet mignon for $30 or Sirloin for $26...pretty silly if you ask me. The difference is bigger with the P30 or HK45, but at the same time people don't blink an eye over a $2000 1911 or $1100 SIG. But HK? OOOOooooOOO, they're overpriced! You're just paying for the name!

SIG really gets me. Their marketing and product line is even more gimmicky than Taurus, and their QC isn't much better. Nor their service department/warranty. Yet their cost is right up there with HK.

I think HK still has pride in their work, which is why they choose to make a relatively unpopular product that costs more. Think about this: their Gray Room could probably earn a million dollars or more if they auctioned it off.....but they keep it, as nothing more but a piece of pride in their company history. That's telling.

Here P2000s are about $800.00, Glocks are $500.00. That's a fairly healthy difference. IMHO, comparing Sig to Taurus is a little off the other side. As long as their serious use pistols, like the classic series, work as they're suppose to, who cares if they have solid gold display pistols or stupid diamond plate pistols for sale. And Sig might not be the Sig of fifteen years ago, but their classic series pistols still work pretty well.

Honestly, I've never seen anyone with any experience say that HKs are overpriced or that you're just paying for the name. If anything, I've seen more people say that the P30 and Hk45 are the standard for service handguns right now. A Springfield Professional or a Wilson Combat? I think they're worth the money. One read of the FBI test tells me everything I need to know about the Pro and recommendations from respected shooters says a lot about Wilson Combat.

I'm guessing at this, but if Hk is anything like other companies, keeping the Gray room serves as a showpiece for them. Walk dignitaries through or have big meetings in there with outside executives. It looks impressive and is. There's nothing wrong with keeping one of everything you made, but they display it to make their product more attractive to customers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I believe.

EVP
02-17-2012, 03:16 AM
My issues with HK, and my wife owns a 9x19 P30, is getting parts and support. Perhaps the issue has been solved, but my experience with HK and P7M8 parts was a total debacle. I do not hold grudges, but I am not sure I want to put myself in position to get burned. I also cannot walk into any LGS and find HK products. The brand is not stocked, and the closest HK support would mean me driving from my home in north Alabama to Trussville. My wife is still smarting from the prices for spare P30 magazines, but I have to admit she loves the P30 and shoots it amazingly well. Walther would be even worse as the closest support would be S&W.

Contrast that to Glock which has guns, parts, and armorers available everywhere. Plus the Glock is simple enough that I can do the armorer work. Glock may not be perfect, but my experience with the guns and the customer support have both been positive. As such, Glock is my choice.

I can kinda see were spare parts for a P7M8 might be a little more spotty, but have you had an issue with getting parts for the p30? P30 magazines can be had in the low 30's. I have not had a problem getting parts for a HK45c and p30. I understand that all guns can have issues and stuff but my buddy and many others don't have that option to take their gen4 glocks to an armorer. There are alot of glocks that had to go back to the mothership.

GJM I agree and think that is an accurate summary.

JV_
02-17-2012, 06:38 AM
but have you had an issue with getting parts for the p30?Yes, lots of people have had issues with HK parts, even for simple things like trigger springs.

secondstoryguy
02-17-2012, 07:31 AM
I got into the P30 game a few months ago when I bought 2 LEM equipped P30s for an upcoming AFHF class. Both were V2 and I immediately switched the springs out with new ones to make em' V4s. I had no problem getting the springs and frankly was surprised at how available parts were after reading all the Internet rumors saying parts were hard to get. I got mine here:http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/home.asp

ford.304
02-17-2012, 09:42 AM
On the issue of price, I think some of the issue is that Glock *set the standard*. When you could get a $400-500 Glock that runs better than anything else money can buy, why spend $1,000 on a handgun? The market has that as its base data point for how much a reliable handgun should cost. Except for suddenly they aren't making them reliable any more.

EVP
02-17-2012, 10:19 AM
I got into the P30 game a few months ago when I bought 2 LEM equipped P30s for an upcoming AFHF class. Both were V2 and I immediately switched the springs out with new ones to make em' V4s. I had no problem getting the springs and frankly was surprised at how available parts were after reading all the Internet rumors saying parts were hard to get. I got mine here:http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/home.asp

Same here. I was under the assumption springs and spare parts were going to be hard to come by due to what I heard people say. My experience was like yours and I was kinda surprised.

Yes, lots of people have had issues with HK parts, even for simple things like trigger springs.

Maybe I got lucky the few times I have ordered parts.

RoyGBiv
02-17-2012, 10:54 AM
On the issue of price, I think some of the issue is that Glock *set the standard*. When you could get a $400-500 Glock that runs better than anything else money can buy, why spend $1,000 on a handgun? The market has that as its base data point for how much a reliable handgun should cost. Except for suddenly they aren't making them reliable any more.

Definitely agree with you here... Glock's price/value combination was very difficult to overcome when thinking about updating my carry gun. I'm a "value shopper". When a good friend (who loves his USP) pointed out that the difference in price was less than 1,000 rounds of factory ammo, it was easier to make the decision to buy HK. Gen 4 issues didn't help Glock either.

TGS
02-17-2012, 01:13 PM
On the issue of price, I think some of the issue is that Glock *set the standard*. When you could get a $400-500 Glock that runs better than anything else money can buy, why spend $1,000 on a handgun?

I think you answered you're own question, chief.

Except for suddenly they aren't making them reliable any more.

Guess that means they don't run better than anything else money can buy.

Not to mention, I want to know where you're getting Glocks for $400-$500. Blue Label guns are scarce and not available to everyone.....even the lowest price I'm seeing on Budsgunshop is $499, then you need to add in transfer fees.

tremiles
02-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Another way to look at price difference between Gen 4 Glock and P series HK, is about a case and a half of ammo. For a bunch of shooters on this site, that's 6 weeks or less of range ammo. $300 sounds like alot, but put into that context, it's not huge.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

farscott
02-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Getting night sights for my wife's P30 was an interesting exercise, mostly because there are not many sources for them. I think my wife had two choices, and she went with the factory-supplied sights. I believe she received them less than a week after ordering, so no issues there. Magazines, instead of being purchased locally, also had to be ordered. Not a big deal, but I can walk into any LGS and walk out with two magazines for a Glock 17 or 19 for $45 or less.

I think the P30 is superior to the Glock in ergonomic terms; however, the overall Glock experience is a bit easier due to the ease of maintenance, the large installed base, and the businesses prepared to support that base. If a local agency adopted the P30, I would expect the local HK support to dramatically improve, and I would seriously consider switching over to the P30. The big issue would be magazines as I have twenty G17 spares and thirty G19 spares in storage to accompany the ten of each I regularly use. My wife only has six P30 magazines.

... but have you had an issue with getting parts for the p30? P30 magazines can be had in the low 30's. I have not had a problem getting parts for a HK45c and p30. I understand that all guns can have issues and stuff but my buddy and many others don't have that option to take their gen4 glocks to an armorer. There are alot of glocks that had to go back to the mothership.

JodyH
02-17-2012, 03:13 PM
I'm spoiled when it comes to H&K P-series parts.
The FLETC USBP academy is just a few miles away and P2000 parts and accessories are easy to find.

TGS
02-17-2012, 03:30 PM
I just don't get the whole parts and maintenance thing.

I shoot my guns, and clean them. What's with buying all these parts for maintenance? I guess it helps when the HK doesn't need a frequent maintenance cycle like the Glock to begin with. The way you guys talk about needing parts and maintenance reminds me of driving a vintage Jaguar and needing to tune it constantly. Any springs or parts that I'm likely to need on hand, or need in short order, I can order. That doesn't strike me as a disadvantage.

There's certainly more than 2 night sights available for the P30. I guess I also don't get the whole need of buying a million different night sights, one for each season of the year or something. For my P2000, which has even less choices than the P30, I can get XS Big Dots, Trijicon (non-HD's) and Meprolight tritium night sights, as well as a couple other fiber optic options. I don't feel like I'm losing out....the Meps seem to work fine. My only gripe is I wanted my Meps to be two color combo, which isn't available for the P2000. Big whoop...a red sharpie marker fixes that.

As for the mags being expensive......well, I guess you have to pay for mags that don't magically release themselves from the gun, or are pretty much guaranteed to drop free when you do hit the mag release.

The world of Glock looks like the Borg Collective to me. It's just weird, it's like you guys are addicted to black-tar heroin as opposed to the good stuff just because you can buy it in passing at the 7/11 for cheap. :p

I'm not trying to start brand wars or anything....just addressing points with logic and reason. I just don't see how the gun being a lethal version of Mr Potato Head is so awesome, and because another is not it is at a disadvantage.

GOP
02-17-2012, 03:38 PM

After putting a lot of rounds down range in a short time frame with the PPQ, I have no doubt that this gun is good to go.

After reading what the SME's on this forum say, and what LAV has said, I really don't think that I'll be buying anything but German pistols in the future. The only other pistols that I have experience with (M&P's, Glocks, and CZ's) have all been extremely underwhelming in the reliability department for me.

Will I need spare parts for my Walther? Probably. Are they harder to find than parts for a Glock? Yes. Do I care? No. We live in the 21st Century. We have the internet and telephones. If I need a part, I'll call and get one.

A $1,000 pistol that runs very reliably and is well set up out of the box is worth every penny to me. In competition, I want a gun that goes bang every time so I don't lose. In self-defense, I want a gun that goes bang every time so I don't die. My life is worth the extra couple of hundred bucks. If that means that I can't buy around 3,000 rounds of ammo (about 3-4 weeks for me), then it looks like I'll be working my draws/reloads/movement/positions/SHO/WHO/barricade stuff dry for the month.

Comedian
02-17-2012, 04:25 PM
I just don't get the whole parts and maintenance thing.

I shoot my guns, and clean them. What's with buying all these parts for maintenance? I guess it helps when the HK doesn't need a frequent maintenance cycle like the Glock to begin with. The way you guys talk about needing parts and maintenance reminds me of driving a vintage Jaguar and needing to tune it constantly. Any springs or parts that I'm likely to need on hand, or need in short order, I can order. That doesn't strike me as a disadvantage.

There's certainly more than 2 night sights available for the P30. I guess I also don't get the whole need of buying a million different night sights, one for each season of the year or something. For my P2000, which has even less choices than the P30, I can get XS Big Dots, Trijicon (non-HD's) and Meprolight tritium night sights, as well as a couple other fiber optic options. I don't feel like I'm losing out....the Meps seem to work fine. My only gripe is I wanted my Meps to be two color combo, which isn't available for the P2000. Big whoop...a red sharpie marker fixes that.

As for the mags being expensive......well, I guess you have to pay for mags that don't magically release themselves from the gun, or are pretty much guaranteed to drop free when you do hit the mag release.

The world of Glock looks like the Borg Collective to me. It's just weird, it's like you guys are addicted to black-tar heroin as opposed to the good stuff just because you can buy it in passing at the 7/11 for cheap. :p

I'm not trying to start brand wars or anything....just addressing points with logic and reason. I just don't see how the gun being a lethal version of Mr Potato Head is so awesome, and because another is not it is at a disadvantage.

This post is funny and true at the same time. You nailed it. :D

JV_
02-17-2012, 04:37 PM
Any springs or parts that I'm likely to need on hand, or need in short order, I can order. That doesn't strike me as a disadvantage.When I had my P30, it took me over 60 days to find a trigger spring. When they eventually received a shipment, I bought a stock of many different springs and stockpiled a bunch. One member here sat on his broken P30 for over a month trying to track one down.

Perhaps HK parts availability has improved, but there were real problems in the past.

For the guns that I shoot, I keep at least one set of springs on hand, and a few of the more common ones like recoil and trigger springs. I replace them at regular intervals.

JHC
02-17-2012, 05:00 PM
I dunno. About 40K rounds through multiple Glocks over the last four years and a few recoil springs is it with a grand total of maybe a half dozen stoppages . Eight of those are born since 2010, four are Gen 4 9mm's. Range guns get run into the ground but never puke. A little more appropriate TLC for the carry guns.

Mags drop free, trigger is great. Easy to hit fast with and 1.5 - 2" @ 25 yards $500 guns.

JonInWA
02-17-2012, 06:18 PM
Some have mentioned a 1911-pattern pistol as a possible recommendation. I have 3 1911s, and admire and enjoy using them. However, I am pretty steadfast in refusing the recommend them for most, in that they're 1) very lubrication intensive, particularly given the extensive metal-on-metal slide/receiver bearing areas, and 2) pretty much require gunsmithing by definition for many components if replacements are needed. Hilton Yam has provided an excellent review of 1911 longevity and preventive maintenance/predictive component lifespans in an article he's posted on his 10-8 Performance site; it's clear, both by the article and in my own personal empirical experience that gunsmith attention is needed not only for the initial set-up, but also for periodic tuning and parts replacements. Here's the article:

http://www.10-8performance.com/pages/Reliability%2C-Round-Counts%2C-and-Longevity-in-1911s.html

Additionally, I think that it's almost impossible to get a durable, reliable 1911 for less than $1,000. The Ruger SR1911 may prove me wrong, as might Colt's 1991 offerings, but I still consider them to be inherently finicky and above the skill and equipment level of an average operator to adequately deal with their needs over time and use without qualified gunsmith support. Again, within the limitations I covered in my original thread-starting post (and there are others that I didn't go into), I think a contemporary Mk III Browning/FN Hi Power is a better bet in a single-action pistol-but that an HK utilized in it's single action mode/varient for most practical purposes trumps the field.

Best, Jon

JAD
02-17-2012, 07:09 PM
, I am pretty steadfast in refusing the recommend them for most, in that they're 1) very lubrication intensive, particularly given the extensive metal-on-metal slide/receiver bearing areas, and 2) pretty much require gunsmithing by definition for many components if replacements are needed. .

I think your post is well supported by an excellent Yam reference. However, I think you may not have roundly considered the needs of the people to whom you're recommending the gun.

Fairly active, competent shooters will not put 5000 rounds on a gun in two lifetimes. That is serious round count to most, for whom the monthly range trip (6 months a year) is 50 rounds and a 250 is the pinnacle of their training experience.

By the time shooters get active enough to put 10k down range in a couple of years they are usually pretty capable of replacing an extractor. Staking a plunger tube is so simple an English major could do it, and a really smart English major would have dropped by the local gunsmith.

Your point about lube is well taken and my only response is that we tolerate the same requirement in ARs.

I'm not disagreeing furiously with you, but I still tell people what I told them a long time ago. If they like their stuff pretty, I tell them they can either buy a 1911 now or five pistols from now. If they don't care about their stuff, a Glock will do fine; and if they have a Rotring mechanical pencil in their pocket I point them toward H&K.

GJM
02-17-2012, 09:55 PM
I waited over two years to get a variant 9 part for the HK45, and was unable to carry it during that time period, due to my propensity to deock the pistol when pressing on the thumb safety.