PDA

View Full Version : Colorado : Political Sign Vandalized With Target

BCG
06-09-2018, 05:00 PM
Mike Johnston is a Democrat running for Governor of Colorado whose primary issue, judging by his TV commercials, is gun-owner control.

26954 (https://twitter.com/MikeJohnstonCO/status/1005516430366818304)

https://twitter.com/MikeJohnstonCO/status/1005516430366818304

Peally
06-09-2018, 05:56 PM
No fucks given, that's politics. Say you're gonna make controversial laws, you're gonna piss random people off.

txdpd
06-09-2018, 07:03 PM
I won't say that it's impossible that someone actually did that. But right at about 100% of the time stuff like this is manufactured. The lack of concern over the implied threat of violence is telling, because a non-NRA target would have been just fine.

http://gazette.com/jared-polis-leads-democratic-field-for-colorado-governor-by-wide-margin-in-new-poll/article/1627240

The survey of more than 500 likely voters in the Democratic primary shows Polis, a five-term congressman from Boulder, atop the field with 31 percent. Kennedy, a former state treasurer, is polling at 18 percent, followed by former state Sen. Mike Johnston at 9 percent. Lt. Gov. Donna Lynne has 3 percent.

That leaves 39 percent of those polled undecided.

Joe in PNG
06-09-2018, 07:28 PM
Manufactured outrage would be my first suspicion as well

LOKNLOD
06-09-2018, 07:44 PM
See that "group"?

I wouldn't worry too much, either.

RJ
06-10-2018, 06:35 AM
Does it mean he needs to Dry Practice more?

Cypher
06-10-2018, 08:25 AM
Johnston spends most of his time talking about how he "Stood up to the NRA" and got the (useless) magazine ban and universal background check law passed in Colorado.

Nephrology
06-10-2018, 08:46 AM
I don't think oblique threats of violence are an acceptable part of American political discourse, no matter the political beliefs or causes involved.

HCM
06-10-2018, 04:00 PM
I don't think oblique threats of violence are an acceptable part of American political discourse, no matter the political beliefs or causes involved.

Odds are this was a hoax.

Wendell
06-10-2018, 06:15 PM
So...has the NRA claimed responsibility, or not?

HCM
06-10-2018, 06:51 PM

You forgot the smiley face - you are joking right ?

Joe in PNG
06-10-2018, 07:18 PM

It was the Russians!

LittleLebowski
06-10-2018, 07:50 PM
Bullshit.

LOKNLOD
06-10-2018, 07:59 PM

Perhaps, and yet the existence of the existence of the 2nd amendment is a threat of violence against those who would undermine it.

It sounds like the ideas he promotes are to promote the use of force - threat of violence - to remove the rights of citizens contrary to the constitution. While I hope for his (all our) sake that no evil befalls him or his family, I hope that he remembers that that his actions have consequences. He wants to put all our skin in the game (and potentially that of otherwise good men he’d send to do it), his needs to be in there, too.

Arbninftry
06-10-2018, 08:00 PM
Looks like poor shot grouping. So at least members of this sight are not to blame:cool:

JATA
06-10-2018, 10:36 PM
Perhaps, and yet the existence of the existence of the 2nd amendment is a threat of violence against those who would undermine it.

It sounds like the ideas he promotes are to promote the use of force - threat of violence - to remove the rights of citizens contrary to the constitution. While I hope for his (all our) sake that no evil befalls him or his family, I hope that he remembers that that his actions have consequences. He wants to put all our skin in the game (and potentially that of otherwise good men he’d send to do it), his needs to be in there, too.

Yea, this is pretty much where I am at (on the issue) as well.

Normally I would agree that (veiled or non) threats are inappropriate in political arguments BUT gun control itself IS a threat of violence. So those who who advocate sending armed men to remove personal property from non combatants are the ones who opened the box (imho).

Cypher
06-10-2018, 10:55 PM
This is Johnston's platform on gun control

As a State Senator in the aftermath of the Aurora Theater shooting, Johnston acted quickly, leading the charge to ban high-capacity magazines and implement universal background checks despite fierce opposition from the NRA.
“As a lifelong gun owner, I’ve never known someone who needed a 100-round magazine to hunt an elk. That’s why I’m proud to have fought the NRA and won on magazine size limits and background checks for every gun purchase across the state,” Johnston said. “I’ve never been afraid of the NRA.”
As Governor, Johnston will work to pass the final two of planks of his #4NoMore plan for no more mass shootings by banning bump stocks and creating gun violence restraining orders.

And a link to his webpage as a source

https://www.mikejohnstonforcolorado.com/news/johnston-leads-the-way-on-gun-safety-and-education-in-first-debate/

LittleLebowski
06-11-2018, 07:24 AM
This is Johnston's platform on gun control

And a link to his webpage as a source

https://www.mikejohnstonforcolorado.com/news/johnston-leads-the-way-on-gun-safety-and-education-in-first-debate/

Hence my decision to call this bullshit.

LorenzoS
06-11-2018, 08:01 AM
More likely this was an anti gun zealot's attempt to frame the deplorables. For the children.

MistWolf
06-11-2018, 09:38 AM
Colorado: Target Vandalized With Political Sign

Fixed it for ya

JRB
06-11-2018, 10:11 AM

Morally and ideologically I 100% agree with you.

But it's increasingly difficult for me to ignore the frequent and *direct* threats of violence against us and our families, simply because we own firearms. What used to be an extreme fringe of the antis advocating such things has become increasingly more acceptable in their discourse and rhetoric.

I also agree that it's profoundly likely that this was a hoax. Specifically mentioning 35 holes in the target, NRA target, etc - it reeks of being staged.

Cypher
06-11-2018, 02:58 PM
Morally and ideologically I 100% agree with you.

But it's increasingly difficult for me to ignore the frequent and *direct* threats of violence against us and our families, simply because we own firearms. What used to be an extreme fringe of the antis advocating such things has become increasingly more acceptable in their discourse and rhetoric.

I also agree that it's profoundly likely that this was a hoax. Specifically mentioning 35 holes in the target, NRA target, etc - it reeks of being staged.

I can't find the videos but during the petition drive leading up to Colorado's recall election over the laws that Johnston supposedly championed people who were AGAINST the recall were filmed telling petition gatherers that the were going to KILL them. For the children of course.

If I can find the videos I'll post them

Bigghoss
06-11-2018, 11:38 PM
I can't find the videos but during the petition drive leading up to Colorado's recall election over the laws that Johnston supposedly championed people who were AGAINST the recall were filmed telling petition gatherers that the were going to KILL them. For the children of course.

If I can find the videos I'll post them

That part I don't remember but I do remember people opposed to the recalls trying to block people from getting out of their cars and getting into the building to vote.

Cypher
06-12-2018, 12:38 AM
That part I don't remember but I do remember people opposed to the recalls trying to block people from getting out of their cars and getting into the building to vote.

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind it happened. I remember seeing the videos on KRDO

Bigghoss
06-12-2018, 01:36 AM
There's absolutely no doubt in my mind it happened. I remember seeing the videos on KRDO

I have no doubt it did. I just don't recall hearing about it at that time.

Cypher
06-12-2018, 02:02 AM
I have no doubt it did. I just don't recall hearing about it at that time.

I think it was only one or two incidents. I didn't think they even.charged the guy with menacing or anything