PDA

View Full Version : M&P Failures

boyscoutg36
03-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Every time we have a new recruit class, I see a few new failures that I either didn't consider or hadn't seen before. We have issued M&P9s since 2008, overall it has been an outstanding duty weapon. Here's a few:
-trigger hinge pin walking out
-extractor breakage
-mag floorplate failure
-rust (officer maint. failure)
-roll pins splitting
-recruit installing the guide rod backward during the mad-minute drill, had to take that one apart with a rubber mallet. I still have no idea how he got it together...

When we first got our M&Ps, S&W accidentally sent us a batch with .40 cal slides and 9mm barrels. We were baffled that all of our brass was hitting us in the forehead, it wasn't until we sent them back that they realized that the slides and extractors/ ejectors were wrong. It was funny afterward, but really aggravating at the time. I can say that most officer's love this pistol, I just wish it had a more definite trigger reset.

What issues have you guys run into?
Mark

SecondsCount
03-08-2011, 11:45 PM
M&P40 that I purchased used with 72 rounds through it started having light primer strikes at around 1200 rounds. I replaced the extractor with the upgraded version and the issue went away.

KeeFus
03-09-2011, 06:48 AM
We are getting ready to go to the M&P .45. The research I did indicated that the 9mm had extractor issues in that it would not extract WWB for some reason(?). Someone even mentioned that the reason for the extractor failure was because the extractor used in the 9mm was originally designed for the .40 S&W. Apex Tactical makes a great replacement from what I understand.

I also contacted the largest agency in our state (NCSHP) and asked their main armorer if they were having any issues with their S&W M&P .357 Sig's. He indicated that their original drop shipment of 500 (out of 2000) had about 6 weapons that had some sort of trigger bar/sear issue.

Alamance County SO switched to the S&W .40 from the Glock 21. The guy I spoke with indicated that they had slide rust issues (user maint. failure as far as I was concerned); He also indicated that they had 2 slide stops completely break. Also, the M&P night sights seem to leave a lot to be desired because they seem to quit after a few years.

Raleigh PD switched to the M&P .45 about 2 years ago. They seem to have had no failures at this time...they bought close to a thousand.

ALL of these guys I spoke with say that S&W's customer service is outstanding. ANY issue they've had has been taken care of. The slide rust issues I mentioned...S&W sent the agency "a box of slides to use as needed." Thats what speaks the loudest to me.

Granted, I'm a Glock guy and would have loved to have another G-21 so my take on things is a bit skewed toward the Glock. I do not believe the Glock would have had these issues but if we had to have another weapon it would be the S&W M&P in .45.

Savage Hands
03-09-2011, 11:21 AM
I was aware of the various issues that needed to be resolved with the early models and some fixes came from S&W and some by Apex Tactical Specialties so I basically had a plan to resolve it before using it as a defensive handgun. The 1 issue I personally had was with two light strikes using RWS ammo which is known to have a hard primer, I replaced it with the newest striker that is supposedly stronger, slightly heavier, has a different geometry and a heavier striker spring with more coils. Hearing the possible problems with the 9mm's extracting WWB and other thin rimmed 9mm ammo, I decided to get Apex's Fail Resistant Extractor for my FS9 and later for my 9c which is a beefy sucker and is made for 9mm out of the box and can be adjusted for the other calibers.

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/b748e042.jpg
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/35dfbbe0.jpg

jlw
03-09-2011, 08:25 PM
I just wish it had a more definite trigger reset.

This has been my issue with the M&P right from the start, and it is the primary reason I rejected the M&P during the T&E phase when my former agency was looking at getting new pistols. I like pretty much everything about this pistol but the trigger.

I really like the way the M&P45 feels in the hand and have considered putting an aftermarket trigger in one.

Savage Hands
03-09-2011, 10:54 PM
If you're gun fits into these models than you can have a better reset.
https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid44.html
https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid45.html

But without an Apex DCEAK or similar trigger job, you won't have a really short and distinctive reset. Here's a RAM install video my buddy did on my M&P and you can get an idea of before and after the RAM combined with my polished DCAEK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp2fmox8uJ8

boyscoutg36
03-09-2011, 10:58 PM
If only, we have about 600 issued M&Ps on the road now but we don't allow mods to them. If we did, we'd be fixing dremel jobs every week. If I ever buy a personal one, the first thing I will do is install that Apex trigger group. I checked one out and was very impressed, they have some great products.

Savage Hands
03-09-2011, 11:07 PM
If only, we have about 600 issued M&Ps on the road now but we don't allow mods to them. If we did, we'd be fixing dremel jobs every week. If I ever buy a personal one, the first thing I will do is install that Apex trigger group. I checked one out and was very impressed, they have some great products.

Just an FYI, the DCAEK and RAM are approved by quite a few agencies and Apex would have no problem giving you names of some of them and DocGKR may know of some as well. Send in a department letter head for a T/E kit to get them approved.

KeeFus
03-10-2011, 06:22 AM
RAM for the .45 yet?

Savage Hands
03-10-2011, 07:00 AM
RAM for the .45 yet?

Hopefully soon :D

KeeFus
03-10-2011, 08:12 AM
Hopefully soon :D

Dang!!! I saw on his site that it was coming soon...was hoping he hadnt updated his site...

Pistol Shooter
03-10-2011, 02:57 PM
If you're gun fits into these models than you can have a better reset.
https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid44.html
https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid45.html

But without an Apex DCEAK or similar trigger job, you won't have a really short and distinctive reset. Here's a RAM install video my buddy did on my M&P and you can get an idea of before and after the RAM combined with my polished DCAEK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp2fmox8uJ8

Great video. Thanks for sharing.

firecop019
03-10-2011, 06:25 PM
My department fielded the M&P40 with TLR1 lights 2 years ago. The only issue I've seen in our quarterly inspections is 3 rear sights seem to be rusting around the tritium vials. 2 of those were well taken care of. We did have 1 slide start to rust as well, that one was also well cared for too.

I'll be contacting S&W here in a few months to see what they can do. We wanted to wait to see if any more sights developed rust or not.

Other than that, they've shot great. Qualifications have went through the roof after we switched from our Gen1 G23's.

boyscoutg36
03-12-2011, 01:22 PM
I asked our S&W rep about the rust, I've read in some metal finishing trade publications that melonite over stainless actually removes some of the rust inhibiting qualities of the steel. Melonite or Tennifer over carbon steel does the opposite, out rep said he had heard that too but the factory had no intention of changing steel. It is definitely something to keep in mind, while the steel is significantly harder due to the treatment it will never be as corrosion resistant as a Glock.

I think I may call Apex about a T&E kit, the trigger reset has been my only complaint about this pistol. Thanks for that idea, stuff like this is why I like this forum already.

Zelly
03-12-2011, 01:43 PM
I have the APex parts on my M&P9 .....2 1/2-3 lbs pull and the reset is like no other. I absolutely love my M&P.

45R
03-14-2011, 05:25 PM
I just ran 800 rounds through my MP9 at Todd's Get SOM/Speed Kill's class this weekend. I have the Apex trigger and RAM kit installed. I did not experience any issues. It was shooting a mix of Remington UMC and Blazer CCI 9mm ammo. 4 weeks before I ran another 400 rounds through the gun in an intermediate level course.

LittleLebowski
03-14-2011, 06:23 PM
I have the APex parts on my M&P9 .....2 1/2-3 lbs pull and the reset is like no other. I absolutely love my M&P.

Are you carrying with such a light trigger?

DocGKR
03-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Around here there is a minimum measured 5 lbs trigger release weight required on any handgun, be it 1911, Glock, HK, M&P, Sig, etc...

Savage Hands
03-14-2011, 07:52 PM
45r measured my polished DCAEK and RAM at an average of 5 pounds 4oz on my FS9 and my 9c feels slightly heavier with the same plus the sear block upgrade.

fuse
03-14-2011, 08:14 PM
I personally don't have a problem carrying a trigger that's 3.5-4.5 pounds. Definitely helps me with accuracy, which helps enormously with confidence.

The way I see it, I am not a cop, and as such don't have to potentially handle my handgun nearly as much, save for holstering/unholstering.
I probably won't be ordering someone to do something with my weapon out. It's either run or fight. Hopefully the former. Should a situation deteriorate to the point where I actually draw down on someone, the average likelihood I am going to actually follow through and shoot once my gun is out is in my mind much higher than an average LEO.

I didn't mean to write all that. Waiting on Chinese takeout..

jslaker
03-14-2011, 10:42 PM
2 1/2-3 lbs pull

Really, the only thing I can think is "cringe." That's just dangerously light, in my book.

Savage Hands
03-14-2011, 10:47 PM
From his post on USN, it's a competition only gun.

ToddG
03-15-2011, 07:33 AM
The way I see it, I am not a cop, and as such don't have to potentially handle my handgun nearly as much, save for holstering/unholstering.
I probably won't be ordering someone to do something with my weapon out. It's either run or fight. Hopefully the former. Should a situation deteriorate to the point where I actually draw down on someone, the average likelihood I am going to actually follow through and shoot once my gun is out is in my mind much higher than an average LEO.

Conversely, you likely handle your pistol under stress less often than an average patrol officer; make threat/no-threat judgment calls less frequently than an average patrol officer; and, are more likely to face ambiguous or uncertain justification than an average patrol officer. All of those things, to me, suggest that having a very light trigger on a CCW gun would be a poorer option.

DocGKR
03-15-2011, 11:43 AM
ToddG--Well said!!!

LittleLebowski
03-15-2011, 12:12 PM
A few years ago, I shot with some older gentleman every weekend in Southern California at a private range. I ended up being firmly convinced that a Weaver stance and a good 1911 with a crisp, light trigger was the way to go. I bought a way too expensive Nighthawk 1911 with a 3lb trigger.

Shot this group and thought I was the cat's meow.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/DSC00168.jpg

Now, the below is the first group out of my stock Gen4 Glock 19. Same distance (25', unsupported). Same number of rounds, range ammo, prolly about a 6lb stock Glock trigger.

****Note***I know these aren't bragging rights type pics but I feel that they do illustrate my point.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/8acb6ca8.jpg

Kyle Reese
03-15-2011, 12:26 PM
That's some good shooting, LL.

NickDrak
03-16-2011, 03:13 AM
The only real "issue" that has concerned me with the M&P9's is the tendency for the slide to "Auto-Forward" during speed reloads. I know some may consider this a "feature", and while I have found that yes, it drops my reloads times when running ball FMJ ammo during training, I have also found that approximately 70-80% of the time it will induce a feed-way stoppage when running several different types of duty/hollow point ammo when relying on the "Auto-Forward". Every 9mm M&P FS I have shot does this consistently. Basically, the nose of the hollow point round gets hung-up at the very bottom of the feed-ramp completely locking the slide and requiring remedial action to clear it. I have owned two different M&P9 FS's. One from early 2007, and one from mid 2010. Both do this consistently. I have also tested this on thee other co-workers M&P9's with the same results.

I have had to recently re-train myself to not slam the magazine home and to use the slide stop lever to release the slide during my reloads.

I recently installed a KKM barrel in my M&P9 and it also locks-up when slamming the magazine in during reloads.

I will try to make a video in the next couple of days to show exactly what I am talking about.

fuse
03-16-2011, 06:57 AM
A few years ago, I shot with some older gentleman every weekend in Southern California at a private range. I ended up being firmly convinced that a Weaver stance and a good 1911 with a crisp, light trigger was the way to go. I bought a way too expensive Nighthawk 1911 with a 3lb trigger.

Shot this group and thought I was the cat's meow.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/DSC00168.jpg

Now, the below is the first group out of my stock Gen4 Glock 19. Same distance (25', unsupported). Same number of rounds, range ammo, prolly about a 6lb stock Glock trigger.

****Note***I know these aren't bragging rights type pics but I feel that they do illustrate my point.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/8acb6ca8.jpg

They do illustrate your point, and well.

I can tell you that right now, I could make a similar group with my Glock, but I don't think I could with yours. Maybe someday.but sadly, my trigger control is still that bad. As I said in my accuracy thread, I have come a long way, and am still overcoming some devastatingly bad habits.

Just 2 weeks ago I shot a friends all stock Glock, and I was all over the map. I just can't cope with the 'big ass speed bump' in the trigger before the shot breaks.

I don't know what the actual weight of my triggers are, but I do know they're somewhat less than stock configuration, and I know I feel fine carrying them like that. Though for a while I actually didn't, and actually carried chamber empty. Like I said- DEVASTATINGLY bad habits.

fuse
03-16-2011, 06:59 AM
The only real "issue" that has concerned me with the M&P9's is the tendency for the slide to "Auto-Forward" during speed reloads. I know some may consider this a "feature", and while I have found that yes, it drops my reloads times when running ball FMJ ammo during training, I have also found that approximately 70-80% of the time it will induce a feed-way stoppage when running several different types of duty/hollow point ammo when relying on the "Auto-Forward". Every 9mm M&P FS I have shot does this consistently. Basically, the nose of the hollow point round gets hung-up at the very bottom of the feed-ramp completely locking the slide and requiring remedial action to clear it. I have owned two different M&P9 FS's. One from early 2007, and one from mid 2010. Both do this consistently. I have also tested this on thee other co-workers M&P9's with the same results.

I have had to recently re-train myself to not slam the magazine home and to use the slide stop lever to release the slide during my reloads.

I recently installed a KKM barrel in my M&P9 and it also locks-up when slamming the magazine in during reloads.

I will try to make a video in the next couple of days to show exactly what I am talking about.

Very interesting. Looking forward to seeing this.

fuse
03-16-2011, 07:11 AM
Conversely, you likely handle your pistol under stress less often than an average patrol officer; make threat/no-threat judgment calls less frequently than an average patrol officer; and, are more likely to face ambiguous or uncertain justification than an average patrol officer. All of those things, to me, suggest that having a very light trigger on a CCW gun would be a poorer option.

Sorry for the continued thread derail.

I concur on the very light trigger. What is very light? What is just lightened? Depends on the individual.

Hopefully I'm not making a threat judgement with my gun out, for obvious reasons. Why its good to have a fast draw, I think you'd agree.

If I am indeed trying to figure out whether to shoot someone with my gun out (already not ideal), I don't think the difference between a 5.5# trigger and a 3.5# trigger will save me from screwing up and doing something I'll regret for the rest of my days. but if the target is something it want to shoot it may save me from badly pulling the shot and missing. I realize this is a judgement call, and I feel comfortable with my choice.

Savage Hands
03-16-2011, 10:07 AM

I've done it in the past with my FS9 with 124gr Ranger-T with no problems and five times with my 9c in a row, but both have highly polished feed ramps thanks to ATS.

My 9c just now:

1. slide stayed licked back
2-5. went into full battery no problem.

Maybe try polishing the feed ramp? What ammo is hanging up?

ToddG
03-16-2011, 10:15 AM
Hopefully I'm not making a threat judgement with my gun out, for obvious reasons. Why its good to have a fast draw, I think you'd agree.

You should be making and re-making the threat judgment up until the moment you (a) move your vision to the front sight or (b) break the shot if you are target focused.

If I am indeed trying to figure out whether to shoot someone with my gun out (already not ideal), I don't think the difference between a 5.5# trigger and a 3.5# trigger will save me from screwing up and doing something I'll regret for the rest of my days.

Why would you think that? The standard trigger is going to require more than half again as much pressure to fire. Will it prevent every accident and mistake? No. But it will prevent more than the even-lighter trigger.

but if the target is something it want to shoot it may save me from badly pulling the shot and missing.

If the difference between a 5.5 and 3.5 trigger is the difference between a clean miss and an effective hit, you need to work on trigger control. Relying on a trigger setup that even the gun manufacturer says should only be used in competition guns is not the answer IMHO.

TCinVA
03-16-2011, 10:51 AM
It's also worth noting that under the influence of adrenaline and facing life-or-death peril it's possible to pull a very light trigger without even realizing it.

NickDrak
03-16-2011, 12:50 PM
I've done it in the past with my FS9 with 124gr Ranger-T with no problems and five times with my 9c in a row, but both have highly polished feed ramps thanks to ATS.

My 9c just now:

1. slide stayed licked back
2-5. went into full battery no problem.

Maybe try polishing the feed ramp? What ammo is hanging up?

124gr Ranger, 147gr Ranger, and 115gr CorBon DPX.

The feedramp of my stock barrel is polished, and the KKM barrels feedramp came polished.

The nose of the round gets hung-up underneath the feedramp.

Savage Hands
03-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Maybe It's one advantage of the shitty 10 round magazines? :confused:

NickDrak
03-16-2011, 01:32 PM
Maybe It's one advantage of the shitty 10 round magazines? :confused:

Could be. Basically what appears to be happening is the top round gets jarred loose enough that it ends up oriented in a slightly nose down position and then gets snagged under the feedramp as it is getting fed.

boyscoutg36
03-16-2011, 11:21 PM
Mine auto-forwards almost 100 percent of the time, so far it hasn't caused any stoppages but it did drive me away from the slingshot method of slide closure. I went back to the left thumb slide release technique I used for years and it works well for me. My M&P is a early generation gun, it seems the later ones do this less for some reason.

jslaker
03-17-2011, 12:16 AM
I almost wonder if a stiffer slide stop spring wouldn't "solve" the autoforward issue. I'd be willing to install such a spring on my guns if it delivered a more consistent behavior from slide lock, personally.

ToddG
03-17-2011, 12:49 AM
The slide stop spring is one of the most carefully balanced on the gun. Too heavy and it can cause premature lock back. Too weak and it may not lock back at all.

David
03-17-2011, 02:38 AM
It's also worth noting that under the influence of adrenaline and facing life-or-death peril it's possible to pull a very light trigger without even realizing it.

It's hard enough for some to keep their finger off the trigger under calm conditions, under stress and fear your finger may be fighting you to naturally go on the trigger. Then there is the whole nightmare of being in a struggle over your pistol and in that case a light trigger could be really bad.

I know no one plans on ever letting a person get close enough to struggle over their pistol but no one ever plans on killing someone either and it's surprising how long people will put off on pulling the trigger. If you've decided to pull the trigger it doesn't matter how heavy it is you'll pull it.

KeeFus
03-17-2011, 05:59 AM
I almost wonder if a stiffer slide stop spring wouldn't "solve" the autoforward issue. I'd be willing to install such a spring on my guns if it delivered a more consistent behavior from slide lock, personally.

I brought this up in armorers class yesterday...it happened with an S&W M&P T&E gun I had a few weeks ago. I also noted to the instructor it happened some with my Glock. His response: It happens with most if not all polymer guns. He mentioned that they could fix it but at what expense to the performance of the gun. What you would have with a new slide stop/release with any 'stiffer' alterations would be just a 'slide stop', not the 'release' because it would be more difficult to release.

It is what it is. I have trained myself to slam my Glock mags in while simultaneously placing my left thumb on the release...it seems to make my reloads faster. Of course, that has draw backs...release it too early and you jam the beatch up!

JV_
03-17-2011, 06:05 AM
slam my Glock mags in while simultaneously placing my left thumb on the release...it seems to make my reloads faster.

I'm not sure if this is what you're doing, but it's helped me:

You can pre-load the slide release lever, with slight thumb pressure. That slight pressure isn't enough to release the slide, but helps the auto forward work more consistently.

fuse
03-18-2011, 07:26 AM
I'm not sure if this is what you're doing, but it's helped me:

You can pre-load the slide release lever, with slight thumb pressure. That slight pressure isn't enough to release the slide, but helps the auto forward work more consistently.

this. I seriously had a come to jesus moment when I read of this technique on FT&T a few months ago and tried at the range that night. angels sang.

TAP
03-18-2011, 07:54 AM
Todd showed us the thumb on slide lock technique during reload a few weeks ago. I also noticed twice during the class that his slide dropped on an empty chamber. In his defense, he was using a borrowed G17 for the class. I've tried the technique on my M&P and it is not for me. I agree that it saves time but I think there is an elevated risk of hitting the magwell during your reload and sending the slide home with an empty chamber.

JohnN
03-18-2011, 11:27 AM
I still contend that if you look the magazine into the magwell and push it in straight the incidence of auto forward diminishes at least for me. Only when I fling the mag into the magwell does it go in at an angle and tend to auto forward.

JV_
03-18-2011, 11:29 AM
The angle for auto-forward on the M&P definitely matters, for me. If I drive the mag home on the rear spine ... it's 99%. If I push straight in, 80%.

I find it very difficult to change how I slam a mag home, at speed.

DocGKR
03-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Every brand of pistol I have used has had some degree of auto-forwarding of the slide depending on severity of the magazine insertion--not once has this ever created a problem/malfunction.

rsa-otc
03-18-2011, 12:58 PM
I concur with Doc, This is not just a Tupperware gun issue. My S&W 645 would routinely auto slide forward under aggressive insertions of FULL mags. Since this didn't happen on partially full mags I taught myself to check and release with the SS as needed.

TCinVA
03-18-2011, 01:11 PM
The angle for auto-forward on the M&P definitely matters, for me. If I drive the mag home on the rear spine ... it's 99%. If I push straight in, 80%.

I find it very difficult to change how I slam a mag home, at speed.

It's odd how important little differences are. I, for example, have never had a pistol auto-forward on me, not even the M&P which is probably the king of the auto-forward. You wouldn't think we were doing anything radically different...

JodyH
03-19-2011, 08:56 PM
The slide stop spring is one of the most carefully balanced on the gun. Too heavy and it can cause premature lock back. Too weak and it may not lock back at all.
I believe you have this backwards.
The slide stop spring holds the slide stop in the down position until the magazine follower spring tension overcomes it and pushes the lever up to engage the notch in the slide.
Too light of spring tension and the slide stop can bounce or get nudged up by a bullet nose and prematurely lock open the slide.
Too heavy and the magazine spring won't overcome it quick enough to catch the slide notch before the recoil spring sends the slide home, ie: your slide won't lock back consistently.

boyscoutg36
03-20-2011, 02:42 AM
In the M&P I think this is more a function of the hardness of the slide and the slide stop, along with the issue of engagement surface on the slide. There really isn't alot of material in the slide stop cutout to increase engagement and the angle is shallow. Since mine is a duty gun, I'm not changing it I'm adapting to it. If you look at a 1911, the hardness of the slide is significantly less than the slide stop itself, that leads to a little more friction. Also, the engagement surface is much deeper, I'm wondering if S&W will ever address this but I haven't heard anything so far.

nwhpfan
04-07-2011, 02:27 AM
M&P Failures-a unit where I work has had the M&P 45 for a few months (an 18 person group). They've probably shot 5k through each so far and there has been exactly one problem with 1 pistol. The slide lock/release mechanism got finagled somehow and the pistol wouldn't consistently lock back on an empty magazine.

Ed L
04-09-2011, 12:33 AM
Here is my belated reply to this thread.

My M&P45 broke its trigger pin and became inoperable after about 3500-4000ish rounds.

I've had problems with my M&P9.

First, it would completely fail to extract a case one time out of every 200-400 rounds. This happened with several types of ammo, including Ranger. It seems that the 9mm uses the same extractor as the original .40. An Apex extractor completely eliminated this issue and I have not had one in like 2K-3K rounds.

I have also had the slide release on the left side break after about 5000ish rounds:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/edagain/MPslidereleasebreak.jpg

But the issue that really bothers me is that I've had about 4 or 5 instances where the rounds in the magazine got lodged together and the mag would not feed. This has happened with a different magazine each time and happened despite the fact that I have upgraded followers and installed ISMI extra powered springs.

Below is a picture of it:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/edagain/badmag2-1.jpg

I suspect that it something was not done right with the redesign of the magazine for 9mm that makes it vulnerable to this.

When you look at the number of occurances that I have had divided by the number of rounds through the gun, it only translates into one instance per 1200-1500 rounds through the gun. But I have not had this happen with any other gun, so it bothers me.

900-DRIVER
02-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Here is my belated reply to this thread.

My M&P45 broke its trigger pin and became inoperable after about 3500-4000ish rounds.

I've had problems with my M&P9.

First, it would completely fail to extract a case one time out of every 200-400 rounds. This happened with several types of ammo, including Ranger. It seems that the 9mm uses the same extractor as the original .40. An Apex extractor completely eliminated this issue and I have not had one in like 2K-3K rounds.

I have also had the slide release on the left side break after about 5000ish rounds:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/edagain/MPslidereleasebreak.jpg

But the issue that really bothers me is that I've had about 4 or 5 instances where the rounds in the magazine got lodged together and the mag would not feed. This has happened with a different magazine each time and happened despite the fact that I have upgraded followers and installed ISMI extra powered springs.

Below is a picture of it:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/edagain/badmag2-1.jpg

I suspect that it something was not done right with the redesign of the magazine for 9mm that makes it vulnerable to this.

When you look at the number of occurances that I have had divided by the number of rounds through the gun, it only translates into one instance per 1200-1500 rounds through the gun. But I have not had this happen with any other gun, so it bothers me.

this mag problem happened to me also on a brand new pro series, just this past Jan 2012, i first emailed them and got no response then finally got through on the phone and they said try it again (what a lot of help) so i try it again (all factory ammo) the same thing happened the follower would get hung up on the mag release notch in the side, i did switch the mag release over to the right side of the gun so i could release it with my right hand trigger finger. i thought they would just send me a new mag release but they sent me the fedex mailer to send it in. i hope it gets fixed right

Ed L
02-24-2012, 01:42 AM
this mag problem happened to me also on a brand new pro series, just this past Jan 2012, i first emailed them and got no response then finally got through on the phone and they said try it again (what a lot of help) so i try it again (all factory ammo) the same thing happened the follower would get hung up on the mag release notch in the side, i did switch the mag release over to the right side of the gun so i could release it with my right hand trigger finger.

The issue of the rounds lodguing together in the magazine has happened about 4 times in 6K+ rounds. It happened with different ammo and different magazines. If it was a matter of the mag release getting caught on the mag release follower, I suspect that I would have seen more occurrances. This is just in my case, I can't speak for what may be happening in other people's cases.