PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a competent instructor

HCountyGuy
06-07-2018, 10:38 AM
As I spend more time here perusing the advice given by well-regarded individuals in the self-defense training industry, I’ve been inspired to look at becoming an instructor myself. I’ve become aware of a passion for helping others learn from usually mentoring newcomers at the various jobs I’ve worked. I’m thorough in my explanations and usually know most of the inevitable questions and how to answer them, and can adapt my teaching to an individual’s learning style. Based on the performance of those I’ve helped, I would make the bold assertion I would be a good teacher in general.

Firearms are my passion and I enjoy more than anything helping the people (family thus far) who ask me about them to learn. That being said, I want to start on the path to becoming a truly competent instructor. I recognize there’s a lot of derp being perpetuated out there and want to not be part of the problem. Thankfully I reside in a location with ease of access to respectable individuals/resources: JLW, Claude Werner, Rogers Shooting School to name a few.

I have no experience as a “door-kicker” of any sort, but recognize that it’s not a requirement to become a well-respected instructor in this industry (Todd Green for example). I’m not looking to teach that sort of stuff anyway as it’s way outside my lane and generally not much useful to the average gun-packing citizen carrying a nine on their hip to defend against a mugging.

As it stands currently I have no formal training. I’ve had some instruction from my time as a Police Explorer and also my defensive tactics class during my brief foray into college.

I have identified that I would at the very least need (or want) to complete the following:

- NRA Basic Pistol
- NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
- Rangemaster Combative Pistol (1 & 2)
- Rangemaster Instructor Development Course

I know that’s a rather short list currently, but I view that as at least some basic requirements to becoming a competent instructor.

I avidly welcome suggestions on other classes or materials to consider in starting this journey.

Lon
06-07-2018, 12:19 PM
How are you at public speaking? I’ve been to some classes where the thoroughly knowledgeable instructor was an awful presenter and it really made the class suck. Be honest with yourself. If it’s an issue then get some training on public speaking.

I would look at a different basic class than the NRA. Toms class is a good one. Then maybe a revolver specific class from someone so you have that knowledge should you get a wheel gun shooter. DB’s class comes to mind.

HopetonBrown
06-07-2018, 12:27 PM
I did the NRA instructor class and it was a shocking waste of time.

Do you shoot competitively in IDPA/USPSA? Do a bunch of that.

Don't just do a bunch of classes from 1 guy. No matter how wonderful he is, you'll still have a narrow world view. Spend time learning from guys with different backgrounds.

MVS
06-07-2018, 12:42 PM
It's all relative. I have prior military, corrections, and LE along with around 1,000 hours of formal intruction with some of that being actual instructor classes. I still don't feel like I am anywhere near being there.

I should add that I am more and more becoming of the opinion that the apprentice/ mentor model is the way to go. To be a really good instructor you have to have done a lot of instructing.

HCountyGuy
06-07-2018, 01:24 PM
I used to suck horrifically at public speaking, because I was the little shy kid. These days I’m much better but do ocassionslly get tongue-tied.

I intend to seek a diversity in my training, as I stated those classes were just a basis I constructed from my own research. It is in no way the end-of-the-road.

I’ve not yet shot a competitive match. I’ve comsidered it, just didn’t really have the time and resources before.

The reason for wanting to get the NRA credentials is most non-gun/intro-gun people recognize that and view it as a basic necessity for any instructor who wasn’t an operator.

DAB
06-07-2018, 01:35 PM
is this a money making idea, or do you just want to share what you know with others?

last week, i was asked to do a one on one session with a new IDPA shooter, to make sure they understood the rules and commands they would encounter. prepared an outline, to organize info in a logical manner, and then we went thru it. shooting was the last thing we did. took about 90 minutes. got all done, and she asked "what do i owe?" "nothing, we just want to get more people out here shooting and make sure they are safe when they get to the line. save your money for ammo."

i think she was a little shocked. it was 53 miles each way for me to get to the range, about 1:15 travel time each way.

really, i'm not doing this for money, i just want people to come out and shoot safely and have a little fun.

my qualifications? i'm an IDPA SO. i know what i'm doing and can tell you what you need to know.

HCountyGuy
06-07-2018, 02:02 PM
is this a money making idea, or do you just want to share what you know with others?

last week, i was asked to do a one on one session with a new IDPA shooter, to make sure they understood the rules and commands they would encounter. prepared an outline, to organize info in a logical manner, and then we went thru it. shooting was the last thing we did. took about 90 minutes. got all done, and she asked "what do i owe?" "nothing, we just want to get more people out here shooting and make sure they are safe when they get to the line. save your money for ammo."

i think she was a little shocked. it was 53 miles each way for me to get to the range, about 1:15 travel time each way.

really, i'm not doing this for money, i just want people to come out and shoot safely and have a little fun.

my qualifications? i'm an IDPA SO. i know what i'm doing and can tell you what you need to know.

Primarily to help educate newer gun owners. Making money doing it would be mostly incidental. I’d say like 90/10. If nothing else to go twards furthering my own education in the field.

okie john
06-07-2018, 02:37 PM
I’ve spent some time teaching the pistol. My advice is as follows:

Pistol technique is simple but it can be hard to teach. Focus on becoming a good teacher. The most important things I’ve learned about shooting are that a) there are no advanced techniques, only fundamentals applied under conditions of increasing difficulty, and b) an expert is the guy who can nail the basics on command. Once beginners understand these things, they can more easily adopt a mindset that lets them learn how to shoot and you can begin to do good work with them.
Decide whether you want to make a living doing this. If you’re not a genuine people person, then this may not be the profession for you.
Understand the market. Level A courses are administrative handling with marksmanship fundamentals, Level B focuses on marksmanship but is still pretty basic, Level C helps people smooth out the application of their general skills, and Level D is specialized (houses, vehicles, low light, etc.). I found that maybe 50% of students who took a Level A course would take Level B, and about 15% of those would take Level C. About 50% of the Level C folks go to Level D, but they go in a big way. They’ll be most of your repeat customers but they have to love your teaching style and want to hang out with you, hence my comments about being a people person.
Define your lane, stay in it, and learn to market it. You’ll have to become a marketing master to keep the pipeline full, especially if you focus on Level A classes. Understand what you DON’T teach and resist the efforts by your students to move you in that direction.
Most NRA certifications are focused on the LCD, so get the ones you need for insurance or whatever and move on.
Study with other instructors. Each has developed a perspective over years that will enrich your understanding of the art. Your quest is for ways to teach the fundamentals to anyone.
Watching a master teach the basics is worth more than gold.
Know the derp. Students will ask and you need to have a solid responses.
Learn to manage egos. Students who want to learn will adhere to pre-class guidance, pay attention, and follow instructions. The guy who thinks he can shoot and shows up with a Lahti in a cut-down military holster on a dress belt with one spare mag and no mag carrier will derail an entire class if you let him.
Learn as many systems as you can: striker, TDA, 1911, DA revolver, LEM, etc. Not everyone will choose the gear that you do, but they may have solid reasons for their choices and they all need your help.
Learn to identify and solve the actual problems that your students face, which may have nothing to do with the questions they ask.

Okie John

David S.
06-07-2018, 03:00 PM
I'm not a firearms instructor, but I am a full time instructor teaching a technical skill.

NRA and Rangemaster classes form a decent introduction to teaching and adult learning. You will pick up some credentials and some material to steal.

I think the most valuable thing you can do is identify one or two local instructors whom you respect and form a mentorship relationship with them. Become a safety officer and assistant instructor under the watchful eye of that instructor. Teach some of the lecture blocks, answer some questions, and assist students on the firing line.

Seeing is you won't be doing this full time, I recommend you fall under the mentorship of a good instructor for a year or two before you go off on your own. Get comfortable teaching. Develop your own social media brand at the same time so you have interested people when you go independent.

Cheers,
David S

DAB
06-07-2018, 03:48 PM
i saw an interesting video with Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathorn some time ago on this topic. Ken was relating some advice he gave to Vickers years ago, about how he needed to wean away from the .gov training, as that gravy train was coming to an end. he also mentioned that some students are there to learn, and they make great students, while others are there mostly to fill up their own training resumes "yes, i've trained with X, Y, Z, and Mr. Q" to buff up their own credentials, but perhaps not to learn anything new to them.

as noted, there is some marketing aspect, as well as just general business paperwork aspect to this. time you spend that you don't get paid for. and from a student's point of view, they have to think that what they are paying you is money well spent. will you spend 4 hours talking about "combat mindset", or will you spend that time showing drills, testing students, showing them how to improve, and then assigning homework for them to do over the next few months before they come back to show they have in fact improved?

pick your clients and then develop your materials.

baddean
06-07-2018, 04:50 PM
I’ve spent some time teaching the pistol. My advice is as follows:

Pistol technique is simple but it can be hard to teach. Focus on becoming a good teacher. The most important things I’ve learned about shooting are that a) there are no advanced techniques, only fundamentals applied under conditions of increasing difficulty, and b) an expert is the guy who can nail the basics on command. Once beginners understand these things, they can more easily adopt a mindset that lets them learn how to shoot and you can begin to do good work with them.
Decide whether you want to make a living doing this. If you’re not a genuine people person, then this may not be the profession for you.
Understand the market. Level A courses are administrative handling with marksmanship fundamentals, Level B focuses on marksmanship but is still pretty basic, Level C helps people smooth out the application of their general skills, and Level D is specialized (houses, vehicles, low light, etc.). I found that maybe 50% of students who took a Level A course would take Level B, and about 15% of those would take Level C. About 50% of the Level C folks go to Level D, but they go in a big way. They’ll be most of your repeat customers but they have to love your teaching style and want to hang out with you, hence my comments about being a people person.
Define your lane, stay in it, and learn to market it. You’ll have to become a marketing master to keep the pipeline full, especially if you focus on Level A classes. Understand what you DON’T teach and resist the efforts by your students to move you in that direction.
Most NRA certifications are focused on the LCD, so get the ones you need for insurance or whatever and move on.
Study with other instructors. Each has developed a perspective over years that will enrich your understanding of the art. Your quest is for ways to teach the fundamentals to anyone.
Watching a master teach the basics is worth more than gold.
Know the derp. Students will ask and you need to have a solid responses.
Learn to manage egos. Students who want to learn will adhere to pre-class guidance, pay attention, and follow instructions. The guy who thinks he can shoot and shows up with a Lahti in a cut-down military holster on a dress belt with one spare mag and no mag carrier will derail an entire class if you let him.
Learn as many systems as you can: striker, TDA, 1911, DA revolver, LEM, etc. Not everyone will choose the gear that you do, but they may have solid reasons for their choices and they all need your help.
Learn to identify and solve the actual problems that your students face, which may have nothing to do with the questions they ask.

Okie John

Okie John, if I may, this thread could stop right here. Solid gold.

Chance
06-07-2018, 04:54 PM
Just a handful of thoughts off the top of my head....

If you haven't had any formal training, I would recommend getting as much of it as you can reasonably afford. You can build up a very respectable level of knowledge via self-study, but there's always going to be secondary ignorance at play, and one of the best ways of addressing that is with formal training. Taking classes will also: a) increase your breadth and depth of knowledge to share with your students, b) expose you to how professionals approach teaching, and c) maybe make you think twice about teaching once you see some of the BS instructors have to deal with in shooting classes.

I would also strongly recommend spending some time with Toastmasters or a similar organization. It took me a solid year of teaching almost every weekday before I finally got comfortable being in front of a class, and there were a lot of really embarrassing experiences during that period. Speaking in front of an audience, driving the lesson, fielding questions, handling the derp, and so forth is something you only learn by doing. I don't have personal experience with Toastmasters, but they have a great reputation for helping people with that sort of thing.

Anyhow - good luck.

Shoresy
06-07-2018, 05:20 PM
I'm not a firearms instructor, but I am a full time instructor teaching a technical skill.

NRA and Rangemaster classes form a decent introduction to teaching and adult learning. You will pick up some credentials and some material to steal.

I think the most valuable thing you can do is identify one or two local instructors whom you respect and form a mentorship relationship with them. Become a safety officer and assistant instructor under the watchful eye of that instructor. Teach some of the lecture blocks, answer some questions, and assist students on the firing line.

Seeing is you won't be doing this full time, I recommend you fall under the mentorship of a good instructor for a year or two before you go off on your own. Get comfortable teaching. Develop your own social media brand at the same time so you have interested people when you go independent.

Cheers,
David S

I can't emphasize the bolded part enough. Most of my development came via Project Appleseed, which has a very heavy mentor-centric model. It would have been a much longer, harder road without being able to shadow some solid senior folks.

Also, the NRA certs are good for putting on your resume. Their utility pretty much starts and ends there.

okie john
06-07-2018, 05:28 PM
Okie John, if I may, this thread could stop right here. Solid gold.

Thank you.

Okie John

Mr_White
06-07-2018, 05:33 PM
I should add that I am more and more becoming of the opinion that the apprentice/ mentor model is the way to go. To be a really good instructor you have to have done a lot of instructing.

Seeing is you won't be doing this full time, I recommend you fall under the mentorship of a good instructor for a year or two before you go off on your own. Get comfortable teaching.

Lots of good advice in the thread, but this is what I was going to say. Lean on the bedrock of other people's experience, and apprentice with them for some time. I couldn't be where I am today without essentially a dual-apprenticeship with multiple teachers very experienced in instructing, as well as with a lot of real-world experience underpinning what they taught. Honestly, I'd say to be ready to spend at least a couple of years doing this.

SouthNarc
06-07-2018, 05:40 PM
I think you need 5-7 years of closely supervised mentoring before you strike out on your own. I know that’s not practical but that’s an informed opinion.

jlw
06-07-2018, 06:11 PM
The biggest challenge that I have found is learning to talk less but saying more.

Mr_White
06-07-2018, 07:23 PM
The biggest challenge that I have found is learning to talk less but saying more.

Well and succinctly said, jlw! ;)

Cory
06-07-2018, 08:16 PM
There was a brief time when I got to teach M9 shooting to some soldiers. It was at times incredibly difficult, and at times incredibly rewarding. Nothing I have done for employment since has been remotely as interesting, enjoyable, difficult, or important.

I would love to teach handgun marksmanship. The bars to entry into instructing are incredibly high though. Getting enough training qualifications, instructor development courses, education on learning, mentorship relation with experienced instructor, positive relationship with a shooting facility, time shooting competition to develop personal skills... not to mention the time investment and money.

And thats for marksmanship training. Just shooting. Not thinking, tactics. Largly focused on just the shooting.

Its something I would love to do at somepoint, but frankly may never have the ability to unless I become involved in LE or another arena that has clear pipeline for firearms instructors who are paid.

-Cory

TC215
06-07-2018, 08:33 PM
Keep in your head that a lot of what you teach is a way, not necessarily the way. Be able to explain why you do what you do, because at some point, someone will question it.

Jeff22
06-08-2018, 05:26 AM
Never stop learning. Never stop being a student.

Lots of cops go to one 40 hour Firearms Instructor Class and never attend any related training again, unless they have to go to an update every couple of years. They went to one school one time once, they know what they know and they know it for sure, and that's it. Irrespective of the fact that equipment and techniques evolve over time, and irrespective of the fact that they may have misunderstood some of the material they were presented in the one class they went to.

Don't be that guy.

Sherman A. House DDS
06-08-2018, 08:47 AM
As I’ve aged, and taught medicine and dentistry in the university/hospital setting, in the ambulance, firearms on the range, mindset in the classroom, and my Civilian Defender classes is this (very similar to Lee’s earlier comment):

“The BEST way for me to teach a person NOTHING, is to teach them EVERYTHING I know.”

civiliandefender.com

Chance
06-09-2018, 09:46 AM
So what does good instructor development training look like exactly? The one firearm instructor course I've been to basically had the students demonstrate they could perform the techniques they were going to teach, and then a literal "repeat after me" when it came to how to teach. For folks that have zero experience teaching, that approach makes sense. For people that do have experience teaching, it really wasn't all that useful.

What are the instructor development courses out there that are worth the time? Which ones probably aren't useful for much other than checking a "qualification" box?

Drang
06-09-2018, 09:55 AM
I did the NRA instructor class and it was a shocking waste of time.

NRA Basic Instructor credentials are recognized, even if they are not thought highly of inside the gun culture. For those outside the gun culture, who are likely to be the ones HCountyGuy is trying to reach, saying "Certified NRA Firearms Safety Instructor" can be an assurance of some kind of standard -- even if we understand that the bar is somewhat low, and diluted by a bunch of folks with no interest in maintaining high, or even moderate, standards.

David S.
06-09-2018, 10:05 AM
There’s a reason that aspiring doctors go through a residency period and aspiring school teachers go through a Student Teacher period.

HCountyGuy
06-09-2018, 05:45 PM
NRA Basic Instructor credentials are recognized, even if they are not thought highly of inside the gun culture. For those outside the gun culture, who are likely to be the ones HCountyGuy is trying to reach, saying "Certified NRA Firearms Safety Instructor" can be an assurance of some kind of standard -- even if we understand that the bar is somewhat low, and diluted by a bunch of folks with no interest in maintaining high, or even moderate, standards.

Bingo.

It’s been discussed in other threads that if nothing else most folks will recognize the NRA certs. Unfortunately not everyone knows of the more respected training philosophies like Rangemaster, ShivWorks, etc.

I’m not out to be one of those guys who takes classes just to put it on a resume.

At the very least, I want to devise a respectable “Intro to carry” type course. I know that’s a huge box to open but feel it can be beneficial in getting folks more interested in continued training, if done properly. If nothing else, it would be better than the typical intro class (At least that’s my goal).

HopetonBrown
06-09-2018, 09:54 PM
even if we understand that the bar is somewhat low, and diluted by a bunch of folks with no interest in maintaining high, or even moderate, standards.

I wouldn't want to tell anyone I'm an NRA instructor because I know how empty that title is and don't want it to seem like I'm giving an endorsement to it and to those who use it as credentials.

I've taken 2 dozen classes, shoot competitively and feel I'd be staying in my lane with teaching a basic ccw class.

That Guy
06-10-2018, 06:26 AM
I’ve not yet shot a competitive match. I’ve comsidered it, just didn’t really have the time and resources before.

Have you done any shooting in a stressful environment?

I feel that if someone were to instruct on how to use a firearm defensively, an understanding of the effects of stress on a shooter is important. And if you have never felt it yourself, it's kind of hard to know what you are talking about. Despite it's alleged shortcomings, for regular people competition is the easiest way to get yourself into a stressful shooting environment. It's also a decent skill level gauge.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk

RJ
06-10-2018, 07:12 AM
Good thread.

I used to want to teach Scuba diving. But I decided I liked helping people through issues in classes, so I stopped at the Divemaster stage. I was what they call a ‘Certified Assistant’, meaning I could do certain things 1:1 with a Student (free ascent to the surface in a simulated out of air emergency drill, for example) but not sign off for the whole course.

I really liked that role. I made no money; maybe got free air, but that was it. Otherwise I paid my own way.

I wonder sometimes if there could be a similar role for those of us who really aren’t that interested in the whole ‘training’ deal, but wanted to help.

Assistant Instructor?

Shooting Coach?

HCountyGuy
06-10-2018, 10:35 AM
Have you done any shooting in a stressful environment?

I feel that if someone were to instruct on how to use a firearm defensively, an understanding of the effects of stress on a shooter is important. And if you have never felt it yourself, it's kind of hard to know what you are talking about. Despite it's alleged shortcomings, for regular people competition is the easiest way to get yourself into a stressful shooting environment. It's also a decent skill level gauge.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk

I’ve done some minor stressful work via FATS machine and some FoF while in the Explorers and my CJ classes. However, that’s been a few years.

Going competitive would serve to induce stress and help develop my shooting.

DAB
06-10-2018, 10:55 AM
i spent all day friday shooting the NM Scorcher IDPA match, and then all day saturday being an SO for that same match. had the privilege of watching some the world's best shooters come thru the stage i helped run. amazing skills.

overall winner was Elias Frangoulis. he is back at that range this morning (i'm not) teaching an all day class. he has the props to give such a class.

would you want to pay and listen to the guy who came in 89th (me) overall, or the guy who came in 1st overall? through hard work, he has figured out how to shoot fast and accurately, and is in a position to pass along such information to others. he charges a fee that people think is worth paying. he has something of value to offer that others are willing to pay for.

why am i not at his class? 1- i'm too tired. 2- i've just spent 2 long days at that range, that's enough for this old man.

Duces Tecum
06-10-2018, 12:38 PM
How are you at public speaking?

Ans: http://www.toastmasters.org/

You're welcome

Cecil Burch
06-10-2018, 03:10 PM
One thing I strongly suggest is to teach something right now.

Find something you are competent at, and find someone who would like to know about it, and teach them. Not for profit, but for free to start building the ability to teach. Because being a shooting instructor is only partially about the shooting. It is far more about getting information across. You need to formally act as a teacher to students wanting to learn specific things from you. That is a different proposition than showing someone a few things or helping point out some details to a coworker.

When I first started teaching martial arts in an apprenticeship under the guidance of an instructor, I taught to individuals and small groups at my college for free. I emphasized I was new to teaching and had only been studying martial arts for 7 years, but I would be happy to show them what I knew. I also jumped at every opportunity my instructors gave me to assist them at seminars. I made zero money, and almost always paid my own way. But I was able to see experienced teachers teach tons of students and coach some of them myself in small ways under the eye of my teacher.

So by the time I taught my first formal open enrollment course as the lead circa 2006, I had been teaching for 20 years and had literally been involved in teaching thousands of people before I took the lead.

Knowing how to teach is not the same as being a good and knowledgeable shooter.