PDA

View Full Version : Suspect in stolen armored military vehicle surrenders to police in Richmond

NEPAKevin
06-06-2018, 03:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=56&v=dSWZyudj4mA

When life imitates art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPvx8c_yRVc

BehindBlueI's
06-06-2018, 04:44 PM
Meh.

This is a tank:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msPrOIAVUZo

NEPAKevin
06-06-2018, 05:04 PM
Then there was Marvin Heemeyer and the "Killdozer"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zRsmcIaB1Q

JHC
06-06-2018, 05:40 PM
Track tension was on point! The joes did their PM! (stolen)

Peally
06-06-2018, 07:04 PM
Should have broken out the 'ol Javelin for a real party.

Drang
06-06-2018, 08:29 PM
Overkill for a 577.

SeriousStudent
06-06-2018, 08:36 PM
What, no spike strips? :cool:

revchuck38
06-06-2018, 09:11 PM
Overkill for a 577.

True. I haz lotsa miles in the driver's hatch of dem 577s! :) Not to mention having to run the AN/VRC-46s with squelch off...hearing loss? Huh, what'd you say?

idahojess
06-06-2018, 09:29 PM
First Lieutenant -- apparently live tweeted.

https://taskandpurpose.com/m577-joyride-joshua-yabut-twitter/

Peally
06-06-2018, 10:05 PM
Overkill for a 577.

You never let me have any fun.

Cypher
06-06-2018, 10:32 PM
Meh.

This is a tank:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msPrOIAVUZo

I remember Oprah interviewing the cop that shot him. She kept on him about "You busted a cap in him right?" "You took him out?" The cop looked at her like she was nuts and said "Yes. I was forced to take the life of another human being" She still didn't get it

Drang
06-07-2018, 06:15 AM
You never let me have any fun.

I'm just saying you should save the javelin for bigger game.

BehindBlueI's
06-07-2018, 06:35 AM
So the suspect was a LT. I think it's fair to assume no criminal intent. I find it likely he tried to read a map and just ended up where he did.

HCountyGuy
06-07-2018, 07:14 AM
Man, I want to hear the weekend safety briefs following that.

60Driver
06-07-2018, 07:23 AM

Ok then how about an older AGM-114B, have to shoot those up now that the Kilo variant is out. Kinda like shooting up your old duty ammo once a year.

Sensei
06-07-2018, 07:38 AM
So the suspect was a LT. I think it's fair to assume no criminal intent. I find it likely he tried to read a map and just ended up where he did.

Assuming there are no substances involved (a big assumption), the more I read about this guy the more it sounds like he had a psychotic break from schizophrenia or a related mental health disorder such as bipolar/mania with psychotic features. He appears to have a lot of the negative symptoms (withdrawn, bizzare behavior, etc.) leading up to this event. He is also the right age.

If this is the case, I empathize for him and hope that he gets the help that he needs rather than incarcerated. He is fortunate that nobody was hurt and no property damaged. On the other hand, if this was a meth binge...

Peally
06-07-2018, 08:11 AM
I remember Oprah interviewing the cop that shot him. She kept on him about "You busted a cap in him right?" "You took him out?" The cop looked at her like she was nuts and said "Yes. I was forced to take the life of another human being" She still didn't get it

Oprah is a pile of shit. That's not her only little episode of being a psycho asswipe.

Peally
06-07-2018, 08:12 AM

If Uncle Sam is buying we have spares ;)

HCountyGuy
06-07-2018, 08:49 AM
Assuming there are no substances involved (a big assumption), the more I read about this guy the more it sounds like he had a psychotic break from schizophrenia or a related mental health disorder such as bipolar/mania with psychotic features. He appears to have a lot of the negative symptoms (withdrawn, bizzare behavior, etc.) leading up to this event. He is also the right age.

If this is the case, I empathize for him and hope that he gets the help that he needs rather than incarcerated. He is fortunate that nobody was hurt and no property damaged. On the other hand, if this was a meth binge...

Reports circulating already the guy was hopped up on drugs.

psalms144.1
06-07-2018, 09:48 AM
So the suspect was a LT. I think it's fair to assume no criminal intent. I find it likely he tried to read a map and just ended up where he did.Brother B - that's some GOOD hate!

JRB
06-07-2018, 10:21 AM
The *real* question is - how did he get a vehicle out of the motorpool without a completed 2404/5988E and a signed dispatch?

Drang
06-07-2018, 11:03 AM

No comment on him being a combat engineer? :D

txdpd
06-07-2018, 11:09 AM
Wasn't smart enough to take the tracked military vehicle somewhere that a police car couldn't go.

JRB
06-07-2018, 11:30 AM

It's all fun and games until the 12B's start booby-trapping your AO's porta-shitters.

HCountyGuy
06-07-2018, 11:32 AM
Stolen from Facebook:

o fostered relationships with local law enforcement
o organized joint training exercise across multiple government organizations
o personally tested tracked vehicle to ensure safety measure were in place
o promoted a farm-friendly environment through highway aeration

PROMOTE NOW!!!

willie
06-07-2018, 11:38 AM
Wonder if his supervisors are in trouble, or said another way, who will be blamed?

txdpd
06-07-2018, 11:42 AM
Wonder if his supervisors are in trouble, or said another way, who will be blamed?

It sure would be helpful if someone told them to start looking for the private that left the keys in the vehicle.

eb07
06-07-2018, 11:43 AM
That mere fact that it drove over 60 miles without catching on fire or breaking down should nominate them for maintenance unit of the year.

Stephanie B
06-07-2018, 11:45 AM
Wasn't smart enough to take the tracked military vehicle somewhere that a police car couldn't go.

When I watched the story, I was wondering why he just didn’t turn hard right and head off the highway.

Stephanie B
06-07-2018, 11:46 AM
It sure would be helpful if someone told them to start looking for the private that left the keys in the vehicle.

Do APCs even have keys?

txdpd
06-07-2018, 12:17 PM
Do APCs even have keys?

I'm trying to be clever, no reason to bring facts into this.

Glenn E. Meyer
06-07-2018, 12:18 PM
Wait for the Uber self-driving APC. You can already see stories of self-driving armored vehicles being developed.

Shoresy
06-07-2018, 12:29 PM
Do APCs even have keys?

That's the joke [/RanierWolfcastle]

BehindBlueI's
06-07-2018, 01:25 PM

Combat Engineers are the most smartest most bestest soldiers. 13 weeks ago I couldn't spell enginere. Now I are one!

BehindBlueI's
06-07-2018, 02:16 PM
Do APCs even have keys?

Generally the only keys on a military vehicle are for padlocks. Soft vehicles may just have a cable that runs through the steering wheel, armored vehicles have ways to lock the hatches shut with padlocks.

There are exceptions in commercial vehicles adapted to military use. I think CUCVs had ignition keys, but only the mechanics and comms guys had them in my battalion. I know none of our tracks (M60 tank, ACE, and M113) or Hummers did.

Drang
06-07-2018, 07:44 PM

Do APCs even have keys?

No.

And technically, the M577 isn't an "Armored Personnel Carrier", it's a Command Vehicle, Tracked.

When I watched the story, I was wondering why he just didn’t turn hard right and head off the highway.

Because he couldn't see. One of the many issues with the 577 is that there is this 4.5KW generator mounted in such a manner that the driver has no visibility to the right. Basically, starting at 1 O'clock he's blind.

Drang
06-07-2018, 07:50 PM
I think CUCVs had ignition keys, but only the mechanics and comms guys had them in my battalion.

Commercially sourced vehicles have door and ignition keys, CUCVs and whatever the Dodge's that preceded them did. There were all keyed alike, so everyone had a key, or two in case one broke. I ass-you-me that you mean only the maintenance and commo guys had CUCVs, not that they had the only keys... :cool: Seems odd to me, us secret squirrels had phased out CUCVs entirely by 2000, including the wrenches and sparks.

Wheeled vehicles will (or did) usually have a padlock and chain through the steering wheel; tracked vehicles (like BBI said) will have a padlock on the hatch. Or "paddle-lock", as many called it.

BehindBlueI's
06-07-2018, 07:58 PM
I ass-you-me that you mean only the maintenance and commo guys had CUCVs, not that they had the only keys... :cool: Seems odd to me, us secret squirrels had phased out CUCVs entirely by 2000, including the wrenches and sparks.

Yes, they were the only ones with CUCVs. They still had the GMC diesel CUCVs with the slave cable hookup in the front grill. Engineer softskins were all HMMWVS or HEMTTs. Medics and Decon was all HMMWVs. Ft. Riley was probably the last active duty base to get anything. We didn't get SINGARS radios until 1999 or 2000.

Drang
06-07-2018, 08:08 PM
Riiiiiiiiight...
Virginia guardsman insists he was ordered to take armored vehicle (http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/Virginia-guardsman-says-he-was-ordered-to-take-armored-vehicle-484873601.html)

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — An Army National Guard officer charged with driving an armored personnel carrier off base while under the influence of drugs insisted Thursday he was ordered to do so as part of a training exercise and called the charges against him "completely bogus."

Yabut told The Associated Press he was first notified of the training exercise by his commander a week before he drove the vehicle away Tuesday evening from Fort Pickett. Yabut said he was later given the command in coded military language to conduct the exercise, which he said was aimed at gauging police response.

"I didn't want to do it, but I believed it was a lawful order, and as a commissioned officer I was required to do so," Yabut said.

Sounds like some Skippy's List level shit, there...

Also:

The Guard said Yabut is assigned as the commander of the Petersburg-based Headquarters Company, 276th Engineer Battalion. He has more than 11 years of service, and was deployed to Afghanistan from 2008 to 2009 with the Illinois National Guard.
A silverbar is HHC6? Really?

Sensei
06-07-2018, 10:11 PM
Reports circulating already the guy was hopped up on drugs.

I know. However, those reports seem to be based on the Trooper’s assessment that he had dilated pupils, glassy eyes, an unsteady gait, etc. - all the things that Troopers often say. I’m not aware of any hard evidence of intoxication such as substances or paraphernalia on his person. Moreover, the things that he said are pretty disorganized and tangential yet he still managed to perform the complex task of driving that armored vehicle 60 miles without causing injury or major property damage - that seems like a bit of an odd combination for someone who is stoned or high. Finally, I’m seeing reports that he was on at least 1 antidepressant (Lexapro) which tells me that he struggles with some form of mental health disorder.

I’m not saying that we’ve ruled out substance abuse as the proximal cause of his escapade. I’m only saying that some of what I’m hearing about this guy makes me think there might be more to his story. I base this on 15 years experience treating mental health disorders on a daily basis.

BehindBlueI's
06-08-2018, 05:30 AM
I know. However, those reports seem to be based on the Trooper’s assessment that he had dilated pupils, glassy eyes, an unsteady gait, etc. - all the things that Troopers often say...

...when they observe signs of intoxication.

yet he still managed to perform the complex task of driving that armored vehicle 60 miles without causing injury or major property damage

Driving an APC isn't any more complicated than driving a car. Less so, actually, fewer controls. Untold drunks and druggies on the road manage to not kill anyone.

I’m only saying that some of what I’m hearing about this guy makes me think there might be more to his story. I think that's a reasonable assumption. Probably a combination of mental health and 'self-medication'.

JRB
06-08-2018, 10:40 AM
Also:

A silverbar is HHC6? Really?

Pretty common these days for a 1LT to be a Bn level element HHC/HHD Commander. They're basically a glorified babysitter/Platoon Leader so the joes in an HHD aren't bugging the XO or Bn Commander for Platoon Leader level stuff.

I know. However, those reports seem to be based on the Trooper’s assessment that he had dilated pupils, glassy eyes, an unsteady gait, etc. - all the things that Troopers often say. I’m not aware of any hard evidence of intoxication such as substances or paraphernalia on his person. Moreover, the things that he said are pretty disorganized and tangential yet he still managed to perform the complex task of driving that armored vehicle 60 miles without causing injury or major property damage - that seems like a bit of an odd combination for someone who is stoned or high. Finally, I’m seeing reports that he was on at least 1 antidepressant (Lexapro) which tells me that he struggles with some form of mental health disorder.

I’m not saying that we’ve ruled out substance abuse as the proximal cause of his escapade. I’m only saying that some of what I’m hearing about this guy makes me think there might be more to his story. I base this on 15 years experience treating mental health disorders on a daily basis.

Aside from the visibility issues of the 577, they're really easy to drive, and that goes for virtually all military ground vehicles, tracked or otherwise.

Glenn E. Meyer
06-08-2018, 12:40 PM
About keys - many years ago LBJ was coming to NYC. A guy shows up at Floyd Bennet Field (at that time a military airfield). He convinces them that he is a pilot and wants to take an A-4 to fly to another base. They agree and suit him up and tow the plane to the runway. At that time, he asks where the ignition key is and is seen to be a fraud. He wanted to go after LBJ.

TC215
06-08-2018, 01:59 PM
I always liked this one:

https://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/prestons-wild-white-house-ride-180962400/

Guy steals a military Huey, flies it around DC, gets in a "dogfight" with Maryland State Police Bell Jetrangers, then gets shot by the Secret Service as he's landing at the White House.

ranger
06-08-2018, 06:24 PM
The discussion among my military buddies is everyone is amazed that the M577 went so far and performed so well - they want to give the maintenance team and assigned 577 operators AAMs or such