PDA

View Full Version : Copper fouling

iakdrago
02-14-2012, 11:53 AM
My second pistol succeffuly completed the 2000 round challenge. The first one being my Gen3 Glock 19, and the most recent being my M&P9 fs. The M&P has a substantial amount of copper residue between the rifling--particularly near the muzzle. Even a soak shooter's choice over night hast not helped all that much. Should i try Hoppe's? That was the product that i have always used before wanting to try something different for reference's sake.

Interestingly enough--my glock did not have as much copper fouling, perhaps there is something to the hex barrel.

Any thoughts, or tips would appreciated.

DocGKR
02-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Have you noted a reduction in accuracy?

If not, I wouldn't worry about it...

iakdrago
02-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Have you noted a reduction in accuracy?

If not, I wouldn't worry about it...

Not yet, however the amount of time that i spent trying to get rid of this little bit of copper out with almost zero success, has me worried for when i really ave to start getting it all out.

I do remember reading an article on precision rifle shooting, where the author advocated to completely disregard the copper, and only worry about getting the carbon out. He claimed that after 10k rounds there was no decrease in accuracy. I don't know if that can be carried over into pistol shooting--as the groves on the rifle barrels are much deeper.

Al T.
02-14-2012, 01:36 PM
I agree with Doc. But.

Get KG-12 or one of the foaming copper solvents if you want to clean the copper out.

I had a very accurate 1911 that collected lead in the throat. Still runs fine. :)

NETim
02-14-2012, 03:38 PM
I agree with Doc. But.

Get KG-12 or one of the foaming copper solvents if you want to clean the copper out.

I had a very accurate 1911 that collected lead in the throat. Still runs fine. :)

I'll second the foamy stuff. Works like a charm, particularly if you let it sit for several hours.

Packy
02-23-2012, 03:11 AM
use stp engine degreaser, then let it sit for 5mins then brush it. flush again with stp then patch dry and oil.

GJM
02-23-2012, 07:02 AM
Bill Rogers has a cleaning kit for this which can be bought thru his Rogers Shooting School web site or Holsterops.com. Saw a demo of it and it removes all lead and copper easily.

JV_
02-23-2012, 07:04 AM
For copper cleaning in pistol and rifle barrels, I've been happy with Wipe-Out.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/784639/sharp-shoot-r-wipe-out-brushless-foaming-bore-cleaning-solvent-5-oz-aerosol

DocGKR
02-23-2012, 10:18 AM
I no longer spend much time cleaning barrels; I just shoot the barrel until accuracy drops off, then get a new barrel. The cost of a barrel is pretty inexpensive compared to the cost of the ammo required to get it to a state with enough wear/fouling for accuracy to plummet...

SamuelBLong
02-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Not yet, however the amount of time that i spent trying to get rid of this little bit of copper out with almost zero success, has me worried for when i really ave to start getting it all out.

I do remember reading an article on precision rifle shooting, where the author advocated to completely disregard the copper, and only worry about getting the carbon out. He claimed that after 10k rounds there was no decrease in accuracy. I don't know if that can be carried over into pistol shooting--as the groves on the rifle barrels are much deeper.

Todd Hodnett states that when he has worked to take all the copper out of the barrel, he generally has had to re foul the barrel in order for the accuracy of the gun to come back.

He recommends just trying to get the carbon out, and that it's not essential to get every single bit of copper out of the barrel. Copper isn't going to hurt the barrel, the carbon will.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/784639/sharp-shoot-r-wipe-out-brushless-foaming-bore-cleaning-solvent-5-oz-aerosol

I'll second this.

I tried Wipe-Out after seeing Paul Howe use it on his stuff. I am amazed at how clean the barrel gets. If you use it, I recommend using their "accelerator" product in conjunction to the foam... it speeds up cleaning time and effectiveness of the foam alot.

Kyle Reese
02-23-2012, 06:27 PM
I no longer spend much time cleaning barrels; I just shoot the barrel until accuracy drops off, then get a new barrel. The cost of a barrel is pretty inexpensive compared to the cost of the ammo required to get it to a state with enough wear/fouling for accuracy to plummet...

Same here. I shoot more and clean less these days.

SecondsCount
02-23-2012, 07:04 PM

+1 for Wipe Out. I shoot some in the bore and let it sit while cleaning the rest of the gun then run a couple patches through it.

Just be careful with it on some wood finishes and plastics.

JAD
02-24-2012, 07:10 AM
I've never been happier dealing with copper (specifically making .223 go into wee groups) than with Sweet's 7.62 solvent. I do believe in breaking varmint barrels in, as it made an empirical improvement in cleaning time, and I use Sweet's in that process. I don't use it after break-in, but I don't worry about copper after break-in.

mizer67
02-24-2012, 09:08 PM
I find this to be commonplace with M&P barrels. Copper fouling is far, far worse in my M&Ps than in any other pistol I own.

After about 12K without getting that stuff out completely no matter what I tried, the only thing that would work was JB Bore Paste.

I realize it's not the best product to use often, as it's basically lapping compound, but it worked when nothing else would for me.