PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Combat Rob Haught Special

JHC
05-30-2018, 07:08 AM
Nice gauge!!!

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/05/29/wilson-combat-rob-haught-special-shotgun/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LvDHDgkD_M

GJM
05-30-2018, 08:20 AM
I find it interesting that this new shotgun, along with the new Vickers Wilson Glock, are specified with a fiber optic front sight.

TCinVA
05-30-2018, 11:07 AM
If someone is looking for a gun that's just about optimal for defensive use right out of the box, that'll do it.

Jay Cunningham
05-30-2018, 11:09 AM
Comments section is gold.

EVP
05-30-2018, 11:25 AM
I am a novice with a shotgun except for some dove and duck hunting but he can sure run a pump shotgun!

Cecil Burch
05-30-2018, 11:26 AM
That half-ghost ring sight is the shiznit.

okie john
05-30-2018, 02:35 PM
That half-ghost ring sight is the shiznit.

Tell me more. I'm a ghost-ring guy from way back--probably too much Cooper in my diet as a child.

Okie John

TCinVA
05-30-2018, 02:39 PM
I would assume that Wilson is starting with an 870 Police gun and then un-fucking it before adding the neat things that the comments section on that article thinks it's no big deal to install. (Like the sights)

Wondering Beard
05-30-2018, 03:15 PM
I like it.

I wonder if they'd retrofit my old Wilson Border Patrol into that variant.

JHC
05-30-2018, 03:34 PM
I find it interesting that this new shotgun, along with the new Vickers Wilson Glock, are specified with a fiber optic front sight.

Do you think it should come with tritium?

Cecil Burch
05-30-2018, 06:49 PM
Tell me more. I'm a ghost-ring guy from way back--probably too much Cooper in my diet as a child.

Okie John

I am not good with putting up pics and stuff, but if you go here and look towards the very bottom row of pictures, you get to see a decent look:

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/rob-haught-special-shotgun/

It's Rob's design/idea and I got to play with it last fall. Very nice and quick sight picture. I could see it being as close to a "universal" shotgun sight as you could get.

BobLoblaw
05-30-2018, 07:01 PM
Preface: shotgun ignoramus here. What does this 870 do that an Aridus-upgraded 1301 (w/ Haught CROM) doesn’t?

GyroF-16
05-30-2018, 07:05 PM
Preface: shotgun ignoramus here. What does this 870 do that an Aridus-upgraded 1301 (w/ Haught CROM) doesn’t?

(Mild snark warning)

Besides require the user to work the action without screwing it up and short-stroking under pressure?

I think they are both examples of top-of-form guns for their respective action type.

okie john
05-30-2018, 07:25 PM
I am not good with putting up pics and stuff, but if you go here and look towards the very bottom row of pictures, you get to see a decent look:

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/rob-haught-special-shotgun/

It's Rob's design/idea and I got to play with it last fall. Very nice and quick sight picture. I could see it being as close to a "universal" shotgun sight as you could get.

Thank you. I've got it, I think.

One of the problems of being an early Cooper disciple is that it drastically narrowed my thinking. In his world, the only reason to endure the hassle and expense of installing a ghost ring is to get an actual peep sight, and one should accept no substitutes. As I understand it:

A peep on an 870 gets you more precision (and range with slugs) with very similar speed, but the zero can wander if you separate the barrel and action.
The open deer-hunter rear sight loses a little in precision (and range with slugs) but it's cheaper since it comes from the factory that way, plus the zero stays put.

It seems like the Haught sight would combine the expense and hassle of the peep with all of the disadvantages of an open sight, plus the zero could wander. But I'm probably overthinking it from the Cooper perspective, so I'm definitely willing to be re-educated.

Are there videos or sites that explain his sight system?

Thanks,

Okie John

HCM
05-30-2018, 07:47 PM
Thank you. I've got it, I think.

One of the problems of being an early Cooper disciple is that it drastically narrowed my thinking. In his world, the only reason to endure the hassle and expense of installing a ghost ring is to get an actual peep sight, and one should accept no substitutes. As I understand it:

A peep on an 870 gets you more precision (and range with slugs) with very similar speed, but the zero can wander if you separate the barrel and action.
The open deer-hunter rear sight loses a little in precision (and range with slugs) but it's cheaper since it comes from the factory that way, plus the zero stays put.

It seems like the Haught sight would combine the expense and hassle of the peep with all of the disadvantages of an open sight, plus the zero could wander. But I'm probably overthinking it from the Cooper perspective, so I'm definitely willing to be re-educated.

Thanks,

Okie John

The real question is why isn’t this made on an 870 receiver drilled and tapped for factory 870 mounts so it can accommodate a CROM /KE Arms RDS Mount ?

Padwan
05-30-2018, 08:35 PM
The real question is why isn’t this made on an 870 receiver drilled and tapped for factory 870 mounts so it can accommodate a CROM /KE Arms RDS Mount ?

I think it serves to keep costs down. (The Haught Signature seems to be less expensive than the other packages they list on their web site.) Before Wilson Combat acquired Scattergun Technologies, SGT offered a Louis Awerbuck Signature model. It was relatively simple - trak loks, sidesaddle, factory wooden furniture, Parkerized (IIRC). Not the most expensive model they offered but their only one (at the time) that carried a popular shotgun instructor's name.

Also, Haught hasn't advocated RDS on shotguns...yet. In a recent podcast, he said he has a 1301 coming and plans to mount an Aimpoint on it. Would be interesting to see how he takes to the Micro.

HCM
05-30-2018, 09:11 PM
I think it serves to keep costs down. (The Haught Signature seems to be less expensive than the other packages they list on their web site.) Before Wilson Combat acquired Scattergun Technologies, SGT offered a Louis Awerbuck Signature model. It was relatively simple - trak loks, sidesaddle, factory wooden furniture, Parkerized (IIRC). Not the most expensive model they offered but their only one (at the time) that carried a popular shotgun instructor's name.

Also, Haught hasn't advocated RDS on shotguns...yet. In a recent podcast, he said he has a 1301 coming and plans to mount an Aimpoint on it. Would be interesting to see how he takes to the Micro.

Wilson is building these on either new guns or new receivers they are buying from Remington. All the dedicated RDS mounts for the 870 I am aware of attach via the factory hole pattern found on certain 870 models. The cost of starting with a receiver / gun factory drilled and tapped for optics mounts is negligible, if there is any additional cost at all.

I’m familiar with the podcast you are talking about where in he discussed dedicated mounts like the CROM being superior to 1913 rail mounted RDS due to height issues. I agree with him about dedicated mounts vs 1913 mounts for this application BTW.

TCinVA
05-31-2018, 09:06 AM

Functions with less lethal ammunition that you most likely have no real use for anyway.

But apart from that, nothing.

txdpd
05-31-2018, 11:11 AM

YMMV but without a healthy dose of red loctite, the rear rifle sights are prone to random drifting. If there's an extension and a magazine clamp, the clamp can have a significant effect on zero when it's removed, kind of a problem with glued down rifle sights. If there's no magazine clamp, my experience is that ghost rings and receiver mounted RDS will return close enough to zero for shotgun work.

I think they are both examples of top-of-form guns for their respective action type decade.

The 870 stopped being state of the art 30 years ago. The Beretta has some warts, but it's about state of the art as we have at the moment.

Cecil Burch
05-31-2018, 01:33 PM

I have no idea. I saw it firsthand on Rob's gun. Hopefully there is something out there, if not now, then soon.

TCinVA
05-31-2018, 02:54 PM
YMMV but without a healthy dose of red loctite, the rear rifle sights are prone to random drifting. .

Most definitely.

Loc-tite is your friend on Remington's rifle style sights.

It's also a good idea to use a silver sharpie or something to put some witness marks on your sights so you can tell at a glance if they've moved.

mtnbkr
05-31-2018, 05:14 PM
Comments section is gold.

I'm dumber for having read them, especially since I should be studying ITIL stuff, not reading derp.

Chris

Toonces
05-31-2018, 05:26 PM
I like the fact that it is 5+1 without any mag extension. It appears that an effort was made to keep it light and handy, unlike many other tactical shotguns.

I would assume that Wilson is starting with an 870 Police gun and then un-fucking it before adding the neat things that the comments section on that article thinks it's no big deal to install. (Like the sights)

I didn't see where the Wilson website listed the base gun or any internal modifications besides the follower, mag spring, and dome safety. The description page does mention their tried and true practical enhancements, but doesn't specify what those are. I assume you are right, but for $1275 I would do a better job detailing the difference between this and a Wal-Mart Express with Magpul furniture.

Maybe WilsonCombatRep can provide details?

jlw
05-31-2018, 05:52 PM
I'm withholding interest until I know what WC is doing to them other than the parts and finish job. If they are slicking up the action, making absolutely certain the chamber is good to go, etc, I may be more interested, but the fact that that there is a need to have to work over the gun in the first place to make certain it works is problematic.

farscott
05-31-2018, 06:21 PM

I believe that is an incorrect assumption. Wilson (very recently) used to start with 870 Express guns. I also think the price is too high for what one gets. The biggest value-add is the front and rear sights, and the finish is nice. But I am used to buying used 870 Police and Wingmaster guns and tweaking them myself.

TCinVA
05-31-2018, 10:27 PM
I'm withholding interest until I know what WC is doing to them other than the parts and finish job. If they are slicking up the action, making absolutely certain the chamber is good to go, etc, I may be more interested, but the fact that that there is a need to have to work over the gun in the first place to make certain it works is problematic.

...especially when you can buy a good condition trade-in Wingmaster and have the sights put on it.

As a value proposition it's a tough one, to be sure. Especially as it doesn't have anything like the Vang Comp barrel magic done on it.

I believe that is an incorrect assumption. Wilson (very recently) used to start with 870 Express guns. I also think the price is too high for what one gets. The biggest value-add is the front and rear sights, and the finish is nice. But I am used to buying used 870 Police and Wingmaster guns and tweaking them myself.

If they start with an Express gun and do the things Remington should be doing to it (like vibra-honing the receiver, etc) then that would add some value.

I've handled a couple of specimens sold from the WC shop and they do not cycle like an off the shelf Express gun.

The price is a bit high, I'll grant you that.

GJM
06-01-2018, 08:16 AM
Sure seems like new 870 shotguns = new S&W revolvers. My Vang guns are built on early P models, and I have some sweet old Wingmaster based, Brockman customized shotguns. He spent a lot of time on the actions.

hwalker84
07-25-2018, 01:34 PM
Full disclosure. I'm officially the first person to buy this shotgun and had the workorder signed by Rob Haught. I also haven't taken to the range yet.... If you happened to put your hands on it at the NRA show that was my actual gun.

TCinVA
07-25-2018, 06:08 PM
Full disclosure. I'm officially the first person to buy this shotgun and had the workorder signed by Rob Haught. I also haven't taken to the range yet.... If you happened to put your hands on it at the NRA show that was my actual gun.

I'm assuming it runs a hell of a lot slicker than the typical 870 Express guns.

Willard
07-25-2018, 09:18 PM
I don't know what the police models are like now, but the plastic trigger guard with "Remington" stamped on the bottom looks like an express model. No slam on Wilson, but having bought a UT-15 when they were first introduced, I wouldn't repeat a similar low information purchase where specs are not spelled out. Like the concept, but need more on the particulars, esp at that price point.

Wingate's Hairbrush
08-05-2022, 02:20 PM
Reviving an old one because it looks like with (a version of) Remington cranking them out, Wilson is back in the 870 game again. Haught Special and several others available on their site. They are built on the Express model.

TCinVA
08-05-2022, 10:37 PM
In the time between the original life of this thread and this one, I've had the chance to shoot a few Haught model Wilson shotguns and I can tell you that the action runs slicker than owl snot. When I say that I mean I can shoot .23 splits with one of Rob's guns.

That's not terribly relevant for anything other than gauging how smooth the action on the shotgun is. With my main teaching 870 that's had the stuffing kicked out of it for years but is fundamentally an Express gun, the best I've ever done is .28. Usually it's .30-.35. All because the action is just rougher.

Wilson's finish seems to hold up very well...so if you're wondering whether or not the Wilson version is a good value proposition, all I can say is that the specimens I've handled have all run splendidly. Do with that what you will...

Paul Blackburn
08-06-2022, 06:36 AM
In the time between the original life of this thread and this one, I've had the chance to shoot a few Haught model Wilson shotguns and I can tell you that the action runs slicker than owl snot. When I say that I mean I can shoot .23 splits with one of Rob's guns.

That's not terribly relevant for anything other than gauging how smooth the action on the shotgun is. With my main teaching 870 that's had the stuffing kicked out of it for years but is fundamentally an Express gun, the best I've ever done is .28. Usually it's .30-.35. All because the action is just rougher.

Wilson's finish seems to hold up very well...so if you're wondering whether or not the Wilson version is a good value proposition, all I can say is that the specimens I've handled have all run splendidly. Do with that what you will...

What makes them so slick?

TCinVA
08-06-2022, 07:21 AM
What makes them so slick?

My guess is the finish Wilson applies. I don't think they're vibra-honing the guns before they refinish them. Their finish has a fairly high teflon content in it, as best I remember.

Wingate's Hairbrush
08-06-2022, 08:34 AM

Wilson's finish seems to hold up very well...so if you're wondering whether or not the Wilson version is a good value proposition, all I can say is that the specimens I've handled have all run splendidly. Do with that what you will...That's high praise given your breadth and depth of knowledge on the 870. I'd hoped Wilson was doing some basic reliability tuning as part of the package, and perhaps they are but not declaring it. It's also possible they've inspected this new crop and determined reliability tuning isn't necessary. Vang Comp makes explicit that their Express and Tactical series 870s get extra TLC.

Either way, Wilson's always been by-and-large exceptional at standing behind their product if there is an issue.

I wish JD McGuire over at AI&P was still building them; far as I can tell he's officially retired from 870 wrenching.