PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Creek cop facing discipline over Facebook post

Wendell
05-29-2018, 10:51 AM
A story and photo of David Hogg's “die-in” protest in a parking lot of a Coral Springs (FL) Publix store appeared on a Coral Springs/Parkland page on Facebook. Posts started coming in attacking Hogg, including one from Coconut Creek police K-9 officer Brian Valenti, which read: “Hope some old lady loses control of her car in that lot. Jus saying…..”. Valenti, who has been with the department 23 years, has taken the post down. But a woman who spotted and took a screenshot of his comment sent an email Saturday night to Coconut Creek commissioners and Police Chief Butch Arenal urging that the veteran officer be suspended or fired. On Sunday, the chief could not say how Valenti would be disciplined. “We’ll look into it more fully on Tuesday,” Arenal told the South Florida Sun Sentinel.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/parkland/florida-school-shooting/fl-sb-cop-facebook-publix-parkland-20180527-story.html

HCountyGuy
05-29-2018, 11:03 AM
Can’t say I particularly disagree with the sentiment, but he should’ve known better. Not much good comes from posting this crap on social media. In all honesty, if I didn’t use bookface to keep in touch with some friends who live far away or see the next JLW class I can’t attend because Murphy sucks, I’d be off of it.

JRB
05-29-2018, 11:11 AM
I tell this to Soldiers in my AO quite often - Everything you post on social media will be read by someone who hates you and hates the uniform you wear, and will use it in any way they can to embarrass you, the Army, and end your career.

Same goes for LEO's really. Much like this situation, Soldiers that end up in hot water over social media posts are overwhelmingly <22 y/o E2-E4's, or much older, very senior SNCO's or Officers that really *really* ought to know better. Seems this guy falls into the latter category. Hopefully he gets the requisite smack on the wrist and nothing else.

CWM11B
05-29-2018, 11:51 AM
Nothing good comes from being in LE and on FB. I briefly had it while working, and deleted it in less than a year. I found it to be a time sink as well as a virtual sewer. Ive seen more than one cop take a significant hit from shenanigans there. A 23 year vet? He knew better. Hope it doesnt hurt to much

Sensei
05-29-2018, 01:40 PM
During my FBI background check, and specifically during my security interview, I was asked to provide all of the information on my social media accounts. Part of being a LEO is that you surrender the privilege of saying whatever comes to mind for all the world to see.

CWM11B
05-29-2018, 02:15 PM
During my FBI background check, and specifically during my security interview, I was asked to provide all of the information on my social media accounts. Part of being a LEO is that you surrender the privilege of saying whatever comes to mind for all the world to see.

Yup. Another benefit of being retired, I got my 1A back. We checked every applicant's social media accounts prior to hiring. Most IA units frequently surf current social media sites as well.

1slow
05-29-2018, 10:55 PM
Assume everything you post or email will end up in the hands of someone who will try to do you harm.

MichaelD
05-29-2018, 11:33 PM
Assume everything you post or email will end up in the hands of someone who will try to do you harm.That goes for everyone, not just LE or military.

1slow
05-29-2018, 11:36 PM
That goes for everyone, not just LE or military.

That is my assumption as well.

blues
05-30-2018, 09:05 AM
Yup. Another benefit of being retired, I got my 1A back. We checked every applicant's social media accounts prior to hiring. Most IA units frequently surf current social media sites as well.

Amen. (Not that I didn't mouth off at the brass or anyone else that had it coming while still employed. I'm just not wired that way. But retirement does have its perks.)

No question that forums and social media represent a (sharp) double edged sword. That said, somebody has to stand up to the madness. (Just be prepared to defend yourself if necessary.)

RevolverRob
05-30-2018, 09:13 AM
Social media is made up of people who are that nosy, busybody, neighbor that everyone has and everyone hates.

Point is, anything you publicly say on social media, you might as well have stood on your front yard and yelled into a megaphone to the neighborhood.

Mjolnir
05-30-2018, 05:13 PM
To be Devil's Advocate here it is also a forum to post news articles that might awaken others as well.

If we all got quiet we essentially handed over the First Amendment without a fight.

Now advocating crushing dumb azzes is asking for it but speaking out while we still have protections is what we all should be doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mjolnir
05-30-2018, 05:27 PM
I don't think the problem is people posting thoughtful well-reasoned arguments about their position, but rather people making ego-gratifying, clever/pithy, drive-by comments hoping for a quick hit of dopamine (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?28924-Short-term-dopamine-driven-feedback-loops-are-destroying-how-society-works).

Agreed.

And some people surprise me with some real mean-spirited stuff. If they are commenting on a post from my wall I'll delete it and PM them that some things are better thought and not typed or screamed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephanie B
05-31-2018, 05:14 PM
Assume everything you post or email will end up in the hands of someone who will try to do you harm.

Including stuff from the days of Prodigy, Compuserve, UseNet and local BBSs.

Damn the iPhone Typos!

Hawker800
05-31-2018, 08:32 PM
The Chief belongs in the Broward County Department. Typical liberal.