PDA

View Full Version : Parents Sue to Kick 30 YO Son Out of House

Chance
05-23-2018, 11:22 AM
You know a story is stupid when even BBC News (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-44213623) can't withhold the snark:

A New York couple have won their legal battle to evict their 30-year-old son from home after he refused to leave.

During a hearing at the state's highest court in Syracuse, a judge praised Michael Rotondo's legal research, but ordered him to leave the house anyway.

Justice Donald Greenwood told the son his bid to remain in his parent's home another six months was "outrageous".

But Mr Rotondo, who legally represented himself, said it was the eviction notice that was outrageous.

"I don't see why they can't just, you know, wait a little bit for me to leave the house," Mr Rotondo argued, as his parents looked on, sitting with their lawyer.

Sporting long hair and a beard, Mr Rotondo argued that six months was "a reasonable amount of time for someone who has been depending on persons for support".

In a court filing last week, Christina and Mark Rotondo described issuing several orders for their son to move out, starting on 2 February 2018.

"There are jobs available even for those with a poor work history like you," they wrote in one note, dated 18 February.

"Get one - you have to work!"

They also gave him $1,100 (£819) to leave, according to one letter, which suggested he sell his some belongings including a broken down Volkswagen Passat.

After Tuesday's hearing, Mr Rotondo summoned news cameras into a hallway for an impromptu press conference.

He told reporters he would appeal against the ruling, and that he had planned to move out of the home in Camillius, New York within three months anyway.

He said that is relationship with his parents has grown very strained, with the three of them never speaking or interacting inside the home.

"After a while it just kind of beats itself down to where there's nothing left," he said.

When asked how he can manage to avoid them, and whether he lives in a basement, he replied that he lives in a bedroom but did not want to provide more detail.

He left court, presumably heading back to his parents' home.

I'm a little foggy on the details, but apparently there were legal reasons that this had to be adjudicated at the New York state Supreme Court. Anyone know why?

Casual Friday
05-23-2018, 11:30 AM
Not sure about NY, but here in WA evidently it's similar. I have relatives that have been trying to get their son and his wife to move out of their spare bedroom for over a year to no avail. It's probably headed to court.

Also couldn't help but think of this.

https://youtu.be/QR_mjFzTOt8

LockedBreech
05-23-2018, 11:39 AM
Edit: Need to factcheck myself.

Lon
05-23-2018, 11:47 AM
Nothing new here. It’s unfortunate that parasites like him are very common. We have to have the “no we can’t make him leave you have to evict him” talk with parents/grandparents on a regular basis.

Gadfly
05-23-2018, 12:08 PM
As soon as he left to go to the store, his shit goes onto the lawn and the locks get changed...

I am sure NY has some law against that, but I am sure I could make it unpleasant enough that he would want to leave.

(side note: stories like this make me realize how fortunate I am that my kids turned out so well. I know some very good parents who had a couple of good kids and one dud)

MEH
05-23-2018, 12:19 PM
I'm a little foggy on the details, but apparently there were legal reasons that this had to be adjudicated at the New York state Supreme Court. Anyone know why?

https://www.nycourts.gov/courts/structure.shtml

NEPAKevin
05-23-2018, 12:22 PM
...which suggested he sell his some belongings including a broken down Volkswagen Passat.

I bet its bumper looks something like this:

Shotgun
05-23-2018, 12:43 PM
I am pretty sure the US military provides housing.

JAD
05-23-2018, 01:00 PM
I am pretty sure the US military provides housing.

I don't think they have to take lazy scumbags anymore.

Chance
05-23-2018, 02:53 PM
We have to have the “no we can’t make him leave you have to evict him” talk with parents/grandparents on a regular basis.

Seriously? I mean knew it happened periodically, but "regular basis" I wouldn't have expected.

TAZ
05-23-2018, 04:21 PM
Seriously?! WTF is wrong with people. Assuming squatters rights or implied contract BS is what’s causing this. Makes you not want to help any adult anymore.

Bart Carter
05-23-2018, 04:49 PM
This is the logical outcome for the idiots that raise their children to be dependent. How can a parent not teach a child to deal with life?

ranger
05-23-2018, 04:50 PM
I don't think they have to take lazy scumbags anymore.

Absolutely not.

Totem Polar
05-23-2018, 04:57 PM
Q: How do you when your adult child has been staying with you?

A: They’re still there...

:)

critter
05-23-2018, 04:58 PM
The irony is that in a couple decades Ole Squatter likely will be in charge of his elderly parents' alzheimer's arrangements. They probably should have eaten him when they had the chance.

ranger
05-23-2018, 06:06 PM
The irony is that in a couple decades Ole Squatter likely will be in charge of his elderly parents' alzheimer's arrangements. They probably should have eaten him when they had the chance.

I am at an age where I am looking more at estate planning plus I have an elderly father I am helping. There seems to be a lot of "elder care" law now focused on this specific topic you raise.

ragnar_d
05-23-2018, 09:21 PM
I heard about this story when it first got some press. Now that I've seen pictures . . . the manchild looks exactly like I expected him to. Hell, I thought I was falling behind because a several folks I graduated with are already team leads, working their way into management, or were getting their startups off the ground. Guess in the overall age bracket, I'm doing alright for myself.

Lex Luthier
05-23-2018, 09:45 PM
Some people exist primarily to serve as a cautionary tale. I would venture that this fella is one such person.

fatdog
05-23-2018, 10:35 PM
Perhaps the rural Alabama equivalent is the adult son who is living in a trailer on the back of the property. I had a friend from our gun club with that problem and his wife was constantly protecting and defending the kid and his trailer. Lots of pot/dope parties, druggie friends in and out, etc.

When he had finally had enough he sold the trailer to one of the mobile home salvage guys, had them come pick it up and move it while the kid was out and left his stuff stacked in the place the trailer used to be. He put up one of those nylon camping tents where the trailer used to be. That ended the dope friends coming to visit. Not sure what happened after that but I admired his solution.

Lon
05-23-2018, 10:41 PM
Seriously? I mean knew it happened periodically, but "regular basis" I wouldn't have expected.

You’d be surprised how often it happens. A good portion of them are parents with heroin addicted kids/grandkids. The parents finally get tired of their stuff being stolen and call us to kick the kid (and their junky girlfriend or boyfriend) out. Sorry. No bueno. Evict them.

But we occasionally get non-related folks who tried to be a Good Samaritan and get shafted.

Ed L
05-24-2018, 12:28 AM
Here's a somewhat related question.

If female friend of mine who I have been romantically involved with asks to stay at my place for a few days while she is travelling through, but then decides she doesn't want to leave, do I need to go to court to evict her?

UNM1136
05-24-2018, 01:45 AM
Depends on the state. Here if it is a week or so and she is clearly living out of a suitcase, no. If she has "her" drawer(s), her own keys, her television is the one in the bedroom, then as little as four or so days, depending on other factors, and she has established residency and needs to be evicted.

A common one here is kid invites a boyfriend or girlfriend over and they live together in the apartment for the school term, and the relationship goes south, as they often do for 19-20 year olds. Party on the lease stamps their foot and demands the cheater be removed from the apartment, bacause "I am on the lease and they are not". Parents get involved, because they are paying the rent and why can't they kick out the micreant who is not on the lease? Because a misguided, uninformed decision allowed the no longer sweetheart to establish residency, in spite of the lack of a lease, which gives them rights.

Another common theme is a young man getting laid for the first time and gives his sweetheart a new Mac laptop. That his parents gave him to take to college. Not a cheap decision. Relationship goes south, and parents find out, and the former sweetheart does not want to return the Mac. Now parents want the cops to retreve the laptop, or charge the former sweetheart with theft. Young man does not have the password to get into the computer, and all the emails, syllibi, and homework on the hard drive belong to the former sweetheart. Gift, theft, or embezzlement will now be decided by a judge. Don't care that mom has a receipt and warranty information. She can show all that to a small claims judge and try to get the judge to see things her way.

pat

BobM
05-24-2018, 05:28 AM
You’d be surprised how often it happens. A good portion of them are parents with heroin addicted kids/grandkids. The parents finally get tired of their stuff being stolen and call us to kick the kid (and their junky girlfriend or boyfriend) out. Sorry. No bueno. Evict them.

But we occasionally get non-related folks who tried to be a Good Samaritan and get shafted.

I work one county south of Lon and our prosecutors and judges decided that if one parties name isn’t on a written lease, he or she has to go when told.

Lon
05-24-2018, 07:26 AM
I work one county south of Lon and our prosecutors and judges decided that if one parties name isn’t on a written lease, he or she has to go when told.

Wish that was the case here. Would be AWESOME.

UNM1136
05-24-2018, 10:40 AM
Wish that was the case here. Would be AWESOME.

Would certainly make decision making much less convoluted here.

pat

NEPAKevin
05-24-2018, 11:32 AM
Guests or children overstaying their welcome? Refer to Rich's RFI: Steel Toe Shoes (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?31164-RFI-Steel-Toe-Shoes) thread and apply appropriately to unwanted ass.

If female friend of mine who I have been romantically involved with asks to stay at my place for a few days while she is travelling through, but then decides she doesn't want to leave...

Stephanie B
05-24-2018, 12:20 PM
In NY, the “Supreme Courts” are the county-level trial courts. The top court in NYS is the Court of Appeals.

Damn the iPhone Typos!

BehindBlueI's
05-24-2018, 05:49 PM
Here's a somewhat related question.

If female friend of mine who I have been romantically involved with asks to stay at my place for a few days while she is travelling through, but then decides she doesn't want to leave, do I need to go to court to evict her?

Maybe.

In my state, if she has a contractual interest in the property she must be evicted. This has been *very* broad in it's interpretation, and does not require a written contract. It can be as simple as "ok, you can stay if you wash the dishes". You've now established a contract and the person has to be evicted, even if they didn't wash the dishes.

Stephanie B
05-24-2018, 07:37 PM

Well, you can probably tell her to GTFO, but if she refuses, then yeah, you’re probably going to have to go to court.
If you call the cops and tell them that she’s trespassing, they’re more than likely to tell you “that’s a civil matter” and you’ll have to go to court anyway. Packing her car full of her stuff and locking her out of your house is “self help”, and courts often really frown on that.

And you’ll need to do it fast, because shoot for she gets an inkling that you’re going to evict her, and if she has any idea how to work the system, then she’ll go down to the courthouse and file for an ex parte protective order. Which generally means that the deputy sheriff will come by, serve it on you, and you’ll have to leave your own house until the hearing is held on the protective order.

Then there are issues of what sort of notice that you have to give her to vacate, how is it served upon her, and all that is state-specific.

The bottom line is that this is a really easy area to screw up, so if she won’t leave, find a good attorney who has experience in landlord-tenant matters.

NEPAKevin
05-25-2018, 12:20 PM
Could be worse....

Saw a story about dude and his partents on TV and looking at the parents, I can just her them saying "...I don't understand how this happened. He was such a good child. You should see all his participation trophies... "

serialsolver
05-25-2018, 12:34 PM
This case reminds me of the little old lady that had a similar problem with family members that she could not get out of her house. So one day she started packing up her things. The family members asked her what was she doing. The little old lady told them she sold the house and was moving out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

QuickStrike
05-25-2018, 04:11 PM
He’s probably going to become homeless and move to my state. :rolleyes:

Chance
05-26-2018, 06:50 AM
Jones: "5G is going to kill a billion people in the next 20 years from cancer. Now tell me how the goddamn racism is important!"

Rotondo: "Personally I think the racism is more important than the 5G thing."

Yeah... that played out pretty much exactly the way you would have anticipated.