PDA

View Full Version : Shooting glasses

UNK
05-18-2018, 10:26 AM
Yes another shooting glasses thread.
I have been to an optician who is highly experienced in making shooting glasses
My dilemma is trifocals were recommended. This makes sense in explanation in the optician office but I am hoping there are some members here who can share some personal experiences.
Also the second question is for lined or no lined.
Which do you feel is better and why.
This is relevant to pistol shooting primarily.

Mark D
05-18-2018, 12:11 PM
I've been wearing prescription shooting glasses for a couple of years. Since cataract surgery obliterated my near vision.

My glasses are monovision. The right (dominant) eye has a Rx that provides perfect focus on the front sight. Left (non-dominant) eye has no prescription, since my distance vision is decent.

After my losing my near vision with the cataract surgery my pistol shooting went to Sh*t and I though I was done. But these glasses got me back in the game.

Further experimentation has revealed that I shoot just as well with some light readers. The readers give me just enough prescription that my front sight is visible, but not so much correction that I can't see the target. The level of correction with these glasses is so low that I'd struggle to read a newspaper with them.

For general defensive scenarios, I can shoot OK without any correction at all. I haven't tried shooting a match without Rx but I probably should, just to quantify the difference.

Couple extra thoughts:

Z87 safety-rated frames and lenses are a good idea if you're shooting a lot. Between spall from steel targets, brass to face, and potential KBs, it's nice to have actual eye protection, not just correction. I think there's a PF member who had a serious eye injury while shooting, but I can't remember who it was. Most good eye doctors have a selection of Z87 frames.

I like anti-reflection coating - it allows more light transmission. YMMV.

Good luck.

BN
05-18-2018, 12:33 PM
I think there's a PF member who had a serious eye injury while shooting, but I can't remember who it was. Most good eye doctors have a selection of Z87 frames.

That might be me. I had a serious eye injury in 1986, when a ricochet hit and broke my glass lens. The broken glass caused a cataract. The lens in my eye had to be removed and couldn't be replaced like in a normal cataract surgery. I wore a contact lens until a few months ago when I had a lens implant. I always wear Z87 glasses, even for daily wear. For shooting, I have a set of mono vision glasses that have my strong eye focused on the front sight.

Wear safety glasses folks.

UNK
05-18-2018, 01:03 PM
I've been wearing prescription shooting glasses for a couple of years. Since cataract surgery obliterated my near vision.

My glasses are monovision. The right (dominant) eye has a Rx that provides perfect focus on the front sight. Left (non-dominant) eye has no prescription, since my distance vision is decent.

After my losing my near vision with the cataract surgery my pistol shooting went to Sh*t and I though I was done. But these glasses got me back in the game.

Further experimentation has revealed that I shoot just as well with some light readers. The readers give me just enough prescription that my front sight is visible, but not so much correction that I can't see the target. The level of correction with these glasses is so low that I'd struggle to read a newspaper with them.

For general defensive scenarios, I can shoot OK without any correction at all. I haven't tried shooting a match without Rx but I probably should, just to quantify the difference.

Couple extra thoughts:

Z87 safety-rated frames and lenses are a good idea if you're shooting a lot. Between spall from steel targets, brass to face, and potential KBs, it's nice to have actual eye protection, not just correction. I think there's a PF member who had a serious eye injury while shooting, but I can't remember who it was. Most good eye doctors have a selection of Z87 frames.

I like anti-reflection coating - it allows more light transmission. YMMV.

Good luck.

I should have more specific . These are not shooting only glasses. They are all purpose glasses they are going to tweak to make them better for shooting. The lens are made from the same material the military uses. I can post specifics if anyone is interested in the specifics of the tweaks and materials.

Mark D
05-18-2018, 01:16 PM
I should have more specific . These are not shooting only glasses. They are all purpose glasses they are going to tweak to make them better for shooting. The lens are made from the same material the military uses. I can post specifics if anyone is interested in the specifics of the tweaks and materials.

I'm Definitely interested to hear about the specific tweaks you're making.

Also, can you articulate exactly what your dilemma is? I thought you had concerns about trifocals, but now I'm not sure.

And to further clarify, what do you mean by "lining"? Are you referring to something different than lens coatings?

BN
05-18-2018, 01:52 PM
I'm interested too.

I think the military specs are even better than Z87.

I have no personal experience with trifocals, but from reports I have read that it's difficult to find the "sweet spot" for the shooting lens where the shooter doesn't have to bob their head around to find the proper focus.

UNK
05-18-2018, 05:18 PM
I'm Definitely interested to hear about the specific tweaks you're making.

Also, can you articulate exactly what your dilemma is? I thought you had concerns about trifocals, but now I'm not sure.

And to further clarify, what do you mean by "lining"? Are you referring to something different than lens coatings?

My dilemma is to have lined or no lined trifocals.
My other question is does anyone shoot with trifocals and have experience they can share plus or minus especially related to line or no line and also to how trifocals work at shooting.
I can see his point as he is going to make the uppermost part of the lens for distance, the center correction for the front sight, and the lower correction for up close.
With bifocals If I want to shoot very accurately at distance I have to be steady and tilt my head back to my current bifocal then drop my head to get on the distance correction. The tilt would be less with a trifocal and maybe faster I don't know.
With standard no line bifocals which are progressive I have to search for the spot that gives me the best clarity on anything I look at within close range depending on distance. With lined I dont have that problem. Of course I may not have the clarity I have with progressives depending on the distance.
He is telling me that no lines would be faster but I am having a hard time with that based on my experience with lined and no lined.
Does this explanation make my question clearer?
I didn't write down the specifics as I haven't made a final decision but I will when I go back in.
I believe the material he was reffering to as what the military uses is the Z87 previously mentioned. If this is not what the military uses then I am interested in that also.

BN
05-18-2018, 05:24 PM
https://blog.safetyglassesusa.com/how-to-identify-ballistic-rated-eyewear/

Mark D
05-18-2018, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the clarification, UNK. For me, the trifocals sound tough to use, but everyone's eyes are different. If you go that route please let us know what you think of 'em.

The article posted by Bill Nesbit is a nice explanation of the different between the industrial standards (Z-87) and the military standards. I usually just use the Z-87 rating because it is easy to find frames and lenses, and my life-style is pretty low risk. It appears the military standards offer more protection though. Good luck.

TAZ
05-21-2018, 08:35 PM
Progressives are a goofy animal. For the life of me, I can’t make them work. Vomit comet. I scan with my eyes too much apparently and stuff going in an out of focus as my eyes pan through the various zones don’t work.

When you say trifocals are you saying that you have far-middle-near corrections or that you’re going to have near-far-near. If the latter many places do upside down bifocals. Carpenters cut, mechanics cut... There is a company that does a zone near the bridge of the frame set specifically for sight focus. I’m going to experiment with some stick on readers and see how different locations can work. I wear bifocals and it’s getting next to impossible to focus on front sight with my distance contacts. I still do ok with target focus so I have a bit to experiment and find that sweet spot.