PDA

View Full Version : LaGuardia Airport. ?

Robert Mitchum
05-13-2018, 11:47 AM
My wife wants to fly to NY. A direct flight goes into LaGuardia and she has not heard anything good about it.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge about LaGuardia airport?

She's not bringing a handgun so that is not a concern.

Is Newark any better to fly into?

TGS
05-13-2018, 11:52 AM
Is Newark any better to fly into?

Oh fuck yeah.

We were always told LaGuardia has more cancelled flights and delays than any other 1st world airport. Area wise it's a very small airport for the volume, and on top of that they are entirely rebuilding it while it's under operation.....so it's an absolute shit-show. It feeds onto the Grand Central Parkway which gets backed up pretty bad as well.

It's pretty easy to get into Manhattan from Newark, on the other hand.

RoyGBiv
05-13-2018, 11:52 AM
LGA isn't any better or worse than Newark or JFK.
There's no direct connection to a train at LGA, so plan on Uber into Manhattan, if that's where she's heading.
If her hotel is in NJ then Newark will be easier.

Robert Mitchum
05-13-2018, 12:07 PM
She is going to Long Island to visit friends.

TGS
05-13-2018, 12:15 PM
She is going to Long Island to visit friends.

Newark would add a significant amount of time even during off hours. If she ended up having to drive from Newark to Long Island during rush hours (3pm-7pm), it could literally add an hour and a half....the cross Bronx turns into a parking lot every day, and if she went the southern route across Staten Island then it's going to get really rough once she crosses into Brooklyn and gets on the belt parkway.

LGA or JFK would be her best choices. It's a wash depending on what time of day and where specifically she's heading to on Long Island, but JFK definitely functions better as an airport than LGA. I've worked a considerable amount at LGA, JFK, EWR, and Teterboro. When we flew to Indonesia, my wife and I purposely drove an extra half hour, passing LGA, in order to fly out of JFK. Literally everyone in my office would do the same.

Robert Mitchum
05-13-2018, 12:18 PM
Newark would add a significant amount of time even during off hours. If she ended up having to drive from Newark to Long Island during rush hours (3pm-7pm), it could literally add an hour and a half....the cross Bronx turns into a parking lot every day, and if she went the southern route across Staten Island then it's going to get really rough once she crosses into Brooklyn and gets on the belt parkway.

LGA or JFK would be her best choices. It's a wash depending on what time of day and where specifically she's heading to on Long Island, but JFK definitely functions better as an airport than LGA. I've worked a considerable amount at LGA, JFK, EWR, and Teterboro. When we flew to Indonesia, my wife and I purposely drove an extra half hour, passing LGA, in order to fly out of JFK. Literally everyone in my office would do the same.

Thanks for the great info !

Robert Mitchum
05-13-2018, 12:20 PM
LGA isn't any better or worse than Newark or JFK.
There's no direct connection to a train at LGA, so plan on Uber into Manhattan, if that's where she's heading.
If her hotel is in NJ then Newark will be easier.

Thanks appreciate the help !

Stephanie B
05-13-2018, 02:09 PM
LGA is known as LaGarbage by a lot of pilots. JFK or EWR. Upstate, HPN or SWF. On the island, ISP. Into CT, BDL.

Damn the iPhone Typos!

Guinnessman
05-13-2018, 02:20 PM
EWR, LGA, and JFK are always one thunderstorm away from becoming a complete shitshow.:p

If your wife wants to visit Long Island, fly her into ISP and make life simple!

43Under
05-13-2018, 03:17 PM
Try MacArthur Airport on Long Island. If that's where she's going anyway...

LGA is full of delays and is also one of the most dangerous airports in the world. Unless you really like your takeoff and landing runways to crisscross.

Norville
05-13-2018, 04:24 PM
As noted, LGA is a hell hole. The other airports are marginally better.

Suvorov
05-13-2018, 04:40 PM
I avoid LGA like the plague. EWR is my choice for the big 3 airports as the train will take you right into the city. Like others have mentioned ISP or White Plains are less congested but given the easy train access it’s hard to beat EWR and avoiding a long cab or Uber Ride. Remember New York airspace operates on the 1-2-3 rule. 1 cloud + 2 planes = 3 hour delay.

ragnar_d
05-13-2018, 04:54 PM
EWR, LGA, and JFK are always one thunderstorm away from becoming a complete shitshow.:p

If your wife wants to visit Long Island, fly her into ISP and make life simple!

I've been through LGA when it was sunny and clear skies and it was still a shitshow. I avoid it at all costs now unless there's a pressing need for me to fly through it.

Robert Mitchum
05-14-2018, 01:41 AM
Thanks for the help everyone !

MK11
05-14-2018, 08:57 AM
LaGuardia has been undergoing major construction--what used to be just a crappy airport is now a nightmare. Last year I flew in around midnight, jumped in a cab and sat there for 10 minutes without moving. Total gridlock. I had to get out of the cab, walk out of the airport onto the Grand Central Parkway and flag down a cab on the highway.

Avoid.

psalms144.1
05-14-2018, 02:01 PM
LaGuardia is, possibly, the worst airport in the world.

Seriously, it sucks ass. The entire poorly designed piece of shit is currently under construction, so the only way in or out by ground entails an average of 1-3 hours of waiting in stopped dead traffic to get to/from the terminals. There's no parking anywhere near. Last time I flew in there, it took me 3.5 hours from stepping onto the curb to wait for a shuttle bus to get to my valet-parked car, then another several hours in traffic to get home.

When people compare LaGuardia to a 3rd World airport, it's a HUGE insult to third world airports. My boss knows that if the options for me to get off LI are fly out of LaGuardia or drive - I drive, even if it means a whole day in the car to get whereever I'm going.

Do NOT fly into LGA.

JFK is hit and miss - they ground stopped for weather last Thu, causing my flight home to be delayed by four+ hours, but, at least the terminal is somewhat decent.

ISP is MUCH MUCH better, but you'll be a long drive away from anything in NYC, if that's your focus.

JAD
05-23-2018, 01:07 PM
I have had equally bad experiences at all three airports but at the moment as noted LGA is unusually jacked up. I would add a connection to fly into ISP if I was going to long island.

ubervic
05-23-2018, 02:06 PM
Land at Islip.
Slam dunk.