PDA

View Full Version : "Law Makers"

NH Shooter
05-12-2018, 03:37 PM
We collectively refer to those who inhabit The Swamp as "law makers." Seems any elected swamp dweller who hasn't had a few of their sponsored bills voted into law are deemed failures by their fellow swamp creatures. This has lead to the creation of so many laws that we've lost track of them.

As a republic, we have accumulated a bewildering array of laws. Like a hoarder, we have over 200 years worth of laws - many of which are useless - clogging our navigation through everyday life. And like the habitual hoarder, we seem to collect new crap on a daily basis.

Case in point - I just got off the phone with my 72 year old sister (who I affectionately consider a died-in-wool libtard) who told me that NY has just passed a law that requires display of proof-of-age to buy alcohol, regardless if the person is obviously of age. She told me that she was just "proofed" buying a six pack and that she was somewhat taken back by it. Now granted she doesn't look a day over 68, but the exercise seems to me a bit goofy (but I guess entirely normal for life in NY).

Because of this non-stop creation of laws - of which so many are truly stupid and useless - I hereby propose the creation and passage of the REAL Act - the Repeal Excessively Asinine Laws Act. This act would officially award Swamp Dwellers for repealing laws and credit them as much as creating new ones. To be worn like a badge of honor, perhaps we could encourage enough Swamp Dwellers to vote for and get REAL, to start cleaning house and in the process, save us all from drowning in their stupidity.

I could see NFA as a prime candidate to be teed up after the passage of the REAL Act. Time to pour more bourbon on this rainy Saturday afternoon of fantasizing....

hufnagel
05-12-2018, 04:02 PM
President Trump's repeal 2 to pass 1 idea has merit. Even if having a definitive count is somewhat silly.

Joe in PNG
05-12-2018, 04:18 PM
It's not just the swamp critters, but We The People who are often responsible for the overage of laws and regulations.
When something bad happens, there's tons of citizens who cry "Something Must Be DONE!!". Doesn't matter if that bad thing is a rare, out of the blue onetime occurrence, or if that Something being proposed in the heat of emotionalism is foolish, ill considered, or just plain worthless. They got to do Something!
And politicians, who in general have the spines of tubeworms, will often go along with the hue and cry (unless trusted minion tells them that it's actually against the core beliefs of the base).

hufnagel
05-12-2018, 04:37 PM
Standing requirement that any law proposed must have a 3 or 6 month waiting period before a vote can be taken?
eta: and/or any law passed within 30 days of initial proposal has an automatic sunset/repeal date of not more than 1 year after passage?

so you can pass your "law" immediately but it'll automatically expire, or you can "chill out".

David S.
05-12-2018, 08:06 PM
I think we as a society pay way too much respect to our elected overlords. To hell with all of those crooks.

I recently listened to Jason Stapleton interview Libertarian candidate for NY Governer (https://jasonstapleton.com/764-libertarian-larry-sharpe-on-his-run-for-ny-governor-and-how-libertarians-can-win-big/). He proposed a "would I ask my friend/neighbor to do it" standard for state licensing. Would I ask my friend to cut my hair or do a manicure? to landscape my yard? to walk my dog? to babysit my child? If so, then maybe it doesn't need a license.

Interesting proposal.

Stephanie B
05-12-2018, 09:28 PM
Not just them. Wal-Mart now wants to see my ID when I buy ammo. I am very far past 21.

Damn the iPhone Typos!

Toonces
05-12-2018, 09:35 PM
Not just them. Wal-Mart now wants to see my ID when I buy ammo. I am very far past 21.

Damn the iPhone Typos!

Eh, that's the cost us pretty people must bear with pride.

HCM
05-12-2018, 11:40 PM
This is why Texas’ Legistlature only meets every other year.

JCS
05-13-2018, 08:45 AM
My states lawmakers just passed (overwhelmingly) constitutional carry for the state, only to have it vetoed by our governor. Frustrating!

LOKNLOD
05-13-2018, 09:10 AM
Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.

When the state is most corrupt, then the laws are most multiplied.

blues
05-13-2018, 09:18 AM
My states lawmakers just passed (overwhelmingly) constitutional carry for the state, only to have it vetoed by our governor. Frustrating!

One wonders whether one person should have that amount of authority and ability to counter the will of the people.

hufnagel
05-13-2018, 09:30 AM
One wonders whether one person should have that amount of authority and ability to counter the will of the people.

Given the legislature has the ability to override a veto, I'm still ok with the status quo, but they waited so long to get it done the legislature was out of session, and won't be called back for an emergency session because of "optics." That, is politics.

blues
05-13-2018, 09:58 AM
Given the legislature has the ability to veto, I'm still ok with the status quo, but they waited so long to get it done the legislature was out of session, and won't be called back for an emergency session because of "optics." That, is politics.

To override the veto...I think you meant to say.

hufnagel
05-13-2018, 09:59 AM
yes... corrected. my bad.

fixer
05-14-2018, 06:21 AM
So many people fall into the trap of feel good legislation and other knee jerks. They do this because "do something!" becomes an imperative. There are all too many "law makers" scrambling to craft laws to address the imperative. They want the celebrity status, they want the re-election. People further inherently think that their comfort will be enhanced by reducing the freedom of others; that the state has the ultimate responsibility in delivering nirvana on earth.

We don't naturally have a systems thinking mindset. We only know what is bothering us. We simply don't care. Its hyper-selfish. When laws end up with unintended consequences then the police get blamed and other folks have to pay the costs.

RevolverRob
05-14-2018, 01:52 PM
I like the idea of a 72-day or maybe even 72-week “cooling off period” for new legislation.