PDA

View Full Version : Illinois counties declare 'sanctuary' status for gun owners

Amp
05-07-2018, 06:50 AM
I like it, turn one of the left's tactics around and use it against them:

At least five counties recently passed resolutions declaring themselves sanctuary counties for gun owners — a reference to so-called sanctuary cities such as Chicago that don't cooperate with aspects of federal immigration enforcement.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-illinois-gun-sanctuary-counties-20180506-story.html

ranger
05-07-2018, 08:04 AM
I think this illustrates another growing "divide" in the US - the "big city" versus "rural America". I see it here in GA where Atlanta seems more concerned about Hollywood (GA has a booming entertainment business) or foreign corporations (Porsche, Mercedes, etc. have HQs in ATL now) not to mention wooing Amazon, Google, etc. versus the rest of GA (aka OTP = Outside the Perimeter of 285).

Amp
05-07-2018, 08:38 AM
You can't make this stuff up:

Such talk worries Kathleen Willis, a Democratic state representative from suburban Chicago who sponsored some of the gun legislation.

"I don't think you can say, 'I don't agree with the law so I won't enforce it,'" she said. "I think it sends the wrong message."

She was a co-sponsor of HB0426 Immigration Safe Zones:
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=426&GAID=14&DocTypeID=HB&LegId=99918&SessionID=91&GA=100

RoyGBiv
05-07-2018, 08:53 AM

Such talk worries Kathleen Willis, a Democratic state representative from suburban Chicago who sponsored some of the gun legislation.

"I don't think you can say, 'I don't agree with the law so I won't enforce it,'" she said. "I think it sends the wrong message."

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=426&GAID=14&DocTypeID=HB&LegId=99918&SessionID=91&GA=100

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance
#Asshole (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=Asshole)

RevolverRob
05-07-2018, 09:26 AM

<---See Avatar.

As far as I know this is just political posturing by rural counties, though. Only the 72-hour 'waiting period/bumpstock bill' and the bill charging FFLs increased fees have made it out. Rauner already vetoed the FFL bill and is expected to veto the waiting period bill.

Since Rauner is being hammered by Chicago Scumbag JB Pritzker in this Gubernatorial Race Rauner cannot afford to look weak on 2A rights.

But alas, he has bigger fish to fry. Pritzker is going to take Rauner out to pasture with respect to budget impasse and lack of infrastructural improvements in IL. Of course...my perspective, as a person who comes from a fiscally responsible state, is that IL doesn't have money for infrastructural development, because of the looming debt. I don't see moneybags Pritzker opening his wallet to pay any of that debt off, either. In fact, I'm wary of a man who has a lot of investment in real estate and business in this state becoming governor. That's how you get deeper in debt and corruption.

But hell, if there is one thing Illinois is known for...it's corruption. :rolleyes:

I cannot wait to leave this state. Chicago is a beautiful city, ruined by crappy politicians and politics.

NH Shooter
05-07-2018, 04:31 PM
I cannot wait to leave this state.

Get out of there Rob, get out before it's too late (but not before you piss on the Obama's hedges)!

RevolverRob
05-07-2018, 04:55 PM
Get out of there Rob, get out before it's too late (but not before you piss on the Obama's hedges)!

I'm on my way. I got one step closer today, when I submitted the first of my three dissertation chapters for publication. First one down, two to go, and one more year of this PhD. Ostensibly, only one more winter, before I am out of here*.

*Fingers crossed that I get a job south of the Mason-Dixon line.

98z28
05-07-2018, 05:38 PM
I'm on my way. I got one step closer today, when I submitted the first of my three dissertation chapters for publication. First one down, two to go, and one more year of this PhD. Ostensibly, only one more winter, before I am out of here*.

*Fingers crossed that I get a job south of the Mason-Dixon line.

Get after it! Life on the other side (of the PhD and the Mason-Dixie line) has a lot to recommend it.

There are so many people with horror stories from this stage of the dissertation process (committee member sabatoging your defense because of a political fight with the chair, a fellow student plagiarizing and publishing your topic secretly just a short time before you defend, etc.), and so many people quit in the face of these obstacles within sight of the finish line. Hopefully your's is just a matter of putting in the work without the drama of unnecessary, ludicrous obstacles. Whatever happens, there is probably a solution. Lot's of us have had the worst happen right at the end, yet found solutions to getting through. Keep your head down and push. You'll be looking back on this before you know it. Hopefully from somewhere warm, sunny, and freedom-loving. :cool:

entropy
05-07-2018, 05:46 PM
I always thought I-80 WAS the Mason-Dixon Line.

Just travel an hour south. Lots of pickups and good BBQ.

ragnar_d
05-07-2018, 06:08 PM
<---See Avatar.

As far as I know this is just political posturing by rural counties, though. Only the 72-hour 'waiting period/bumpstock bill' and the bill charging FFLs increased fees have made it out. Rauner already vetoed the FFL bill and is expected to veto the waiting period bill.

Since Rauner is being hammered by Chicago Scumbag JB Pritzker in this Gubernatorial Race Rauner cannot afford to look weak on 2A rights.

But alas, he has bigger fish to fry. Pritzker is going to take Rauner out to pasture with respect to budget impasse and lack of infrastructural improvements in IL. Of course...my perspective, as a person who comes from a fiscally responsible state, is that IL doesn't have money for infrastructural development, because of the looming debt. I don't see moneybags Pritzker opening his wallet to pay any of that debt off, either. In fact, I'm wary of a man who has a lot of investment in real estate and business in this state becoming governor. That's how you get deeper in debt and corruption.

But hell, if there is one thing Illinois is known for...it's corruption. :rolleyes:

I cannot wait to leave this state. Chicago is a beautiful city, ruined by crappy politicians and politics.

Quoted for truth. I grew up just north of I70 on IL-1, so my disdain for Illinois and its politburo/nomenklatura class and how "southern" Illinois is run roughshod over. Best thing I ever did was to make the decision to move south (first to FL, then AL, back to FL, and hopefully back to AL eventually).

There are a few cities not far from where I grew up in IL that I'd have loved to stay and raise a family in, but the politics at made that a no-go. Pretty much decided I'd be in Indiana or points further south.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pit
05-07-2018, 07:28 PM
Illinois is so bad. If Wisconsin would just annex Chicago, viola all good.

Down Stater.

JW

RevolverRob
05-07-2018, 07:35 PM
I always thought I-80 WAS the Mason-Dixon Line.

Just travel an hour south. Lots of pickups and good BBQ.

When I leave here, if I never see another snowplow, salt truck, or 2+ inches of snow, it’ll be too soon.

Baldanders
05-07-2018, 08:51 PM
So....what would happen if states started to refuse to enforce federal gun laws, and set up systems allowing full-auto, suppressors, SBRs w/o paperwork, etc.

It seems unlikely, but it's been a winning strategy for Cannabis legalization.

RevolverRob
05-07-2018, 09:51 PM
So....what would happen if states started to refuse to enforce federal gun laws, and set up systems allowing full-auto, suppressors, SBRs w/o paperwork, etc.

The ATF will come and lock your ass in jail, until the gun equivalent of the Rohrabacher-Farr Amendment is passed (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohrabacher%E2%80%93Farr_amendment). The DEA just raided medical marijuana dispensaries until this amendment passed and appeals courts blocked them from doing it. And they are still raiding "recreational" cannabis dispensaries in Colorado (or at least were in early 2017).

Baldanders
05-07-2018, 11:08 PM
So if the NRA gave a damn about gaining ground, as opposed to playing defense, it seems like they would be pushing for something like this for firearms. At the very least, it seems like it might help move the terms of the debate.

okie john
05-08-2018, 07:32 AM

The cannabis industry is a long way from the finish line, and I believe that the wins it has seen thus far are temporary. There's a dark side to legal cannabis that a lot of folks don't see until it's too late. Increasing the number of stoned people in your jurisdiction increases the numbers of single-vehicle fatality accidents, pedestrians getting clipped by cars, and toddlers showing up in emergency rooms because they mistook edibles for candy.

The sanctuary strategy is not civil disobedience, no matter what the left would have people think. I wouldn't be surprised if the Sessions DoJ makes life miserable for anyone who uses the sanctuary strategy, especially if Mr. Trump gets re-elected. They'll probably prioritize immigration and drugs over guns, though.

Okie John

okie john
05-08-2018, 07:35 AM
So if the NRA gave a damn about gaining ground, as opposed to playing defense, it seems like they would be pushing for something like this for firearms. At the very least, it seems like it might help move the terms of the debate.

That is exactly what we need. Right now, the antis control the narrative. We can change that with things like calling the NRA a civil rights organization, equating carry reciprocity with other types of reciprocity, etc., but we'll be on the defensive as long as we let the antis frame the debate

Okie John

Guerrero
05-08-2018, 09:46 AM

In general, no matter who does it, I think the whole, "We just won't comply with federal law" is a bad idea.

Baldanders
05-08-2018, 10:27 AM
That is exactly what we need. Right now, the antis control the narrative. We can change that with things like calling the NRA a civil rights organization, equating carry reciprocity with other types of reciprocity, etc., but we'll be on the defensive as long as we let the antis frame the debate

Okie John

"Don't play defense" has seemed good advice on any public debate, of late.