PDA

View Full Version : RFI: NoVA professional gun safe installation

TGS
05-05-2018, 06:42 PM
Poking the hive to see if anyone can recommend a company that sells and installs gun safes with the bolts in the concrete.

Brownie points if they will work on hardening a room's door, frame, and walls as well.

My new house includes an armory. Well, it's a room....soon it will be a hardened armory.

:D

GuanoLoco
05-05-2018, 09:53 PM
Poking the hive to see if anyone can recommend a company that sells and installs gun safes with the bolts in the concrete.

Brownie points if they will work on hardening a room's door, frame, and walls as well.

My new house includes an armory. Well, it's a room....soon it will be a hardened armory.

:D

Consider DIY. Fafes are surprisingly movable with a pry bar or two and some golf balls. Dropping 1/2” anchor bolts in slab isn’t hard with a masonry bit. You can use a composite angle grinder wheel to ‘shield’ the bolts from logn sawzall blades. Do a built-in and a couple layers of fireboard and you can make it much harder to attack and greatly increase the fire resistance time.

TGS
05-05-2018, 10:01 PM
Consider DIY.

This is not an option for multiple reasons.

willie
05-06-2018, 01:00 AM
It's my understanding that some newer slabs are not made in such a way that one can drill into them. I may have read that here. But, about installation, most if not all retail shops selling safes will know outfits to recommend for installation. I recall that olong is one of our engineers, and perhaps he will comment on some of your concerns. My only suggestion is beefing up the way the armory room's door frame's sides are attached on their perimeter and consider having that door open into the hall and not into the room so that it can less easily be kicked in. Too, you could have the safe installed inside a giant closet having a secure door. In a corner of the room you might have a cheap Walmart safe installed as a decoy.. Let that one be the safe's that's carried out.