PDA

View Full Version : RFI 22lr Threaded Pistols

XXXsilverXXX
05-05-2018, 02:59 PM
I was looking to pick up a threaded .22lr pistol, my main two I was looking at are the SR22 & the M&P 22. Anyone have preference of one over the other? Also any other I should consider?

farscott
05-05-2018, 03:25 PM
I would look at the Ruger Standard pistols, including the Standard, Mark I, Mark II (.22/45), Mark III (.22/45), and Mark IV (.22/45), and the Browning Buckmark. These two lines are arguably the two most prevalent and successful rimfire pistols of all-time. My preference is for the Ruger, but it is swayed by the fact that I have shot them since 1972.

The facts are that both designs have extensive aftermarket and factory support, and the biggest difference is the barreled receiver of the Ruger is the serialized (the pistol) part while the frame is for the Browning.

Since the polymer frames seem to be of interest, I suggest looking at the Ruger .22/45 variants.

StraitR
05-05-2018, 03:57 PM
I agree with everything farscott said, and also prefer the Ruger. I've had some variation of a MkI, II, III for as long as I can remember (not 1972 though :)). Extremely reliable, and only as unreliable as your rimfire ammunition choice. I can't recall the las malfunction I've had with Mini-Mags. Other bulk stuff, not so much, but that's a bulk ammo problem stemming from stacking loose ammo in a box.

I've found the threaded models make excellent suppressor hosts.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1621/25783091540_db8d97996b_c.jpg

OlongJohnson
05-05-2018, 04:29 PM
The only real problem with Buck Marks is that you leave them alone in the safe and next thing you know, the .22 stork is dropping off another that you have to find room for. rimfirecentral.com is the leading forum for them. It's simple to get a 1911-quality trigger for very little money. You can change barrels at will. No need to send C-notes off to Volquartsen.

gtae07
05-05-2018, 06:17 PM
I have been very pleased with my M&P 22 compact so far. It's eaten all the bulk pack .22 happily. It got dirty and started malfunctioning after a couple hundred rounds but it just needed a good cleaning. Shoots nice but it's a plinker gun; doesn't have a competition trigger.

One of these days I'll put a suppressor on it...

littlejerry
05-05-2018, 08:10 PM
I was looking to pick up a threaded .22lr pistol, my main two I was looking at are the SR22 & the M&P 22. Anyone have preference of one over the other? Also any other I should consider?

I have no experience with the M&P, but I was very unimpressed with the SR. My friend bought one as a suppressor host. Garbage trigger, akward size, and his threads weren't concentric. He traded it in on a Mk3 22/45 which is much nicer.

paul105
05-05-2018, 08:41 PM
From your initial post, it looks like you are wanting a smaller sized gun. If open to larger platform, and already have a 1911, you might want to consider a Nelson 22 conversion. They are expensive but, in my opinion worth it. They come with various barrel and sighting options. Here is mine when it was mounted on a slightly customized Colt Delta Elite bottom unit. I've since put it on a Light Weight CMD lower because the full size 1911 is a bit heavy. The Nelson features last round slide lock and dry fire capability. I hav/had several different Ruger MKs, and a Browning Challenger and would take the Nelson hands down over all of them.

http://www.nelsoncustomguns.com/

https://photos.imageevent.com/paul105/hobby/large/22%20IMG_0917_zpss6l2jxdu.jpg

FWIW,

Paul

Clusterfrack
05-05-2018, 10:01 PM
Ruger Mk 3 lite has run well suppressed for me.

The right ammo is key. I prefer Eley Contact
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018134176/eley-contact-semi-auto-ammunition-22-long-rifle-subsonic-42-grain-lead-round-nose

I don’t like M&Ps in centerfire, and really don’t like the .22s. Unless you’re already into M&P, I think there are way better options.

Clusterfrack
05-05-2018, 11:47 PM
Ruger Mk 3 lite has run well suppressed for me.

The right ammo is key. I prefer Eley Contact
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018134176/eley-contact-semi-auto-ammunition-22-long-rifle-subsonic-42-grain-lead-round-nose

I don’t like M&Ps in centerfire, and really don’t like the .22s. Unless you’re already into M&P, I think there are way better options.

Whoops, that came across a little more negative about M&P than I would have liked. Blame the beer(s)... I know plenty of happy M&P shooters.

H&KFanNC
05-06-2018, 12:49 AM
I have the Ruger SR22. I run a Sparrow on mine. That little gun eats everything and doesn’t have a particular preference for ammo. My only gripe is the magazine release isn’t as user-friendly as I’d like it to be. It ejects the mags but you have to fully depress it, more so than all the other pistols I own. Granted, that’s on my gun. Take down for cleaning is simple, mags are easy to load and work great. Sights are *just* tall enough to use over the Sparrow. I really like it.

Good Luck with whichever .22 you choose!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtae07
05-06-2018, 07:55 PM
I'll add that I picked the M&P solely on two criteria: it was available threaded, and from what I read it has the reputation of being the most omnivorous .22 pistol out there--it eats everything. I refuse to have a .22 that has to use special ammo, which is why I ditched my old Mosquito.

It was nice to be able to shoot a full magazine without a stoppage. And nicer to shoot a couple dozen.

hufnagel
05-06-2018, 08:12 PM
what about a Beretta M9-22 with threaded barrel?

Irelander
05-07-2018, 09:51 AM
I like my Buckmark with TacSol Trail-lite barrel. Although I have not tried other platforms besides a Walther P22.

Clusterfrack
05-07-2018, 09:57 AM
I'll add that I picked the M&P solely on two criteria: it was available threaded, and from what I read it has the reputation of being the most omnivorous .22 pistol out there--it eats everything. I refuse to have a .22 that has to use special ammo, which is why I ditched my old Mosquito.

It was nice to be able to shoot a full magazine without a stoppage. And nicer to shoot a couple dozen.

There is special ammo that runs in a Sig Mosquito*? My buddy tried everything in his, but never found the magic.

(*maybe the most unreliable .22 ever)

OlongJohnson
05-07-2018, 10:11 AM
I like my Buckmark with TacSol Trail-lite barrel. Although I have not tried other platforms besides a Walther P22.

Go factory.

26079 (http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/pistols/buck-mark-pistols/current-production/buck-mark-plus-lite-flute-ufx-suppressor-ready.html)

mtnbkr
05-07-2018, 10:32 AM
My threaded 22lr pistol is a Ruger MK3 22/45 Lite. I run a Ruger can on it. Until it got really nasty (somewhere around 1500rnds of cheap bulk-pack stuff), it started having feed/ejection problems, but a good cleaning returned it to full functionality and reliability.

Chris

EricP
05-07-2018, 11:20 AM
There is special ammo that runs in a Sig Mosquito*? My buddy tried everything in his, but never found the magic.

(*maybe the most unreliable .22 ever)

My second one ran fairly well with CCI Standard, but I had to use the recoil spring for high velocity ammo.

The first one didn’t work at all.

Irelander
05-07-2018, 11:25 AM
Go factory.

26079 (http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/pistols/buck-mark-pistols/current-production/buck-mark-plus-lite-flute-ufx-suppressor-ready.html)

Back in the day there was no factory option.

PensFan
05-07-2018, 11:28 AM
I've run thousands of rounds through a Buckmark with a TacSol 4" barrel suppressed. If I had to do it over again I'd probably go with a Ruger. While my Buckmark runs flawlessly they are louder with a can than most of the Rugers mainly because of the design. Other than that, its a great host. Stick with the short threaded barrels to keep velocity down with non-sub ammo.

XXXsilverXXX
05-07-2018, 02:49 PM
I used to have a 22/45 target, hated taking it apart.
The buckmark looks like a pain as well.
I presume the m9-22 is as easy as a beretta 92?

peterb
05-07-2018, 05:50 PM
I used to have a 22/45 target, hated taking it apart.
92?

Takedown is much simpler on the Mk IVs.
https://ruger.com/products/markIV2245Lite/models.html