PDA

View Full Version : Making friends in the right place....

BaiHu
02-11-2012, 06:08 PM
I'm a big believer in accumulating good people and good experiences in life, b/c you never know what life may bring you and it's always better when you share.

That being said, I was nudged here by JodyH from another forum and I've never met him, but I bet he's a hell of a guy, b/c I've seen the way he reaches out on this forum and on that 'other forum' and it's always constructive/positive.

Now that I've been here for a while and made some PTF buds, I felt like it was time to pay the site back, so I became a supporter. As a side note, ToddG, you should offer certain price levels for site supporters, like a discount for paying in advance for a few years or lifetime, b/c I intend to make this my home away from home.

That being said, I linked up with TGS, who's another Jersey boy today, and we had a hell of a time. As always, when you meet someone through the intertubz, it's just like a box of chocolates, ya never know what kind of nut you're gonna get. Well, here's another reason why I love this forum; PTF tends to cull most of the nuts out and TGS was a hell of a guy and an asset to my training. I even felt comfortable enough to bring him home to meet the woman in my life. If that doesn't say something about the caliber of this community that ToddG and all of the staff has created, then you must be one of the exceptions on this forum (ie a nut).

If you want to know what we did, here's the link: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2346-FAST-Wall-or-busted-broken-and-broke-from-trying&p=52084#post52084

Other than that, I just wanted to say thanks to all the people who make this site an invaluable piece of my daily life.

Al T.
02-11-2012, 07:44 PM
I'll ditto what you said. This is like thefiringline in the old days, when most folks were linked somehow and SMEs were common. There are several folks here that know each other from years of posts other places.

Hate to say it, but this is the adult end of the pool. :cool:

BTW, I'm not a pay pal type person. I have no issues cutting someone a check (not you jmjames, lol) to help keep the lights on.

TGS
02-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Bro,

I also had a great time. It's nice to know you can meet up with new people and place your money on a P-F member not being a complete psycho, and most likely a training oriented shooter with goals and some semblance of intelligence.

Hopefully the next time it isn't below 40, snowing and windy. We'll have to break out the dueling tree next time....that's going to be a blast.

TCinVA
02-11-2012, 10:15 PM
While I'm glad you enjoy the forum, I'd take slight issue with the idea that we cull the nuts. The members of staff certainly do try to steer discussion in a reasonable manner, we cannot hope to define the nature of the forum through special powers and force of personality alone. It's the interaction of the membership that defines a forum. Having members that treat others from a default position of respect, who are interested in exchanging good information, and who can manage to laugh at themselves every now and then is what will make the forum work in the long term.

If we're successful, it will be because quality people show up and share the benefits of their learning and personality.

jstyer
02-11-2012, 11:38 PM
I was just thinking today how amazing PF has been for me (unfortunately it's been devastating to my attention span in Dynamic Systems and Controls :D )...

Last night I had some issues with a new p30, twelve hours later JodyH (whom i'd never spoken to before) is pulling up to my door to sort it out. That kind of comradery and pure "bro-ness" is what I love so much about pf. I feel like not only do I get fantastic technical advice on here, but I can bounce around and read the opinions of true professionals on everything from technique, to the newest gear, to advanced instructional pedigogy, and even netflix ques!!!

I guess all I'm saying is thank you Todd and staff for giving me such a great resource, and thank you all the members for keeping it so dang real!

J.

Al T.
02-12-2012, 08:00 AM
Class act by JodyH....

I'd take slight issue with the idea that we cull the nuts.

Sorry for my poor communication. What I meant was that the forum is not seeing many immature or ego driven posts as compared to other bigger forums. I for one certainly appreciate that. :)

TGS
02-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Having members that treat others from a default position of respect, who are interested in exchanging good information, and who can manage to laugh at themselves every now and then is what will make the forum work in the long term.

If we're successful, it will be because quality people show up and share the benefits of their learning and personality.

At the same time, it's only natural for the membership to grow, and P-F suffer an increase of comments about how .45 is king and to prove it you should shoot yourself in the chest while wearing a bulletproof vest and do pushups afterwards, comparing the results from 9 to 45....

So, yeah...nut cases.....those who embrace ignorance....idiots......whatever. The reason I come to P-F is because they're generally not here. If that's an offensive way of thinking, so be it.

TCinVA
02-12-2012, 02:15 PM
The general point I was trying to make is that the environment created by the membership is going to be a far better protection against stupid than liberal use of the ban button. In other words, if our board culture values the right things then those who have nothing of value to contribute won't stick around for very long.

BaiHu
02-12-2012, 08:35 PM
The general point I was trying to make is that the environment created by the membership is going to be a far better protection against stupid than liberal use of the ban button. In other words, if our board culture values the right things then those who have nothing of value to contribute won't stick around for very long.

Right on, right on! They'll move along like a perp who notices you noticing them :p