PDA

View Full Version : Dick's Again! (Hired Gun Control Lobbyists)

JohnO
05-02-2018, 02:42 PM
I didn't want to tack this on the tail end of the other long thread: Dick's Sporting Goods will no longer sell MSRs.

Dick’s Sporting Goods Hired Three Gun Control Lobbyists In April.
http://thefederalist.com/2018/05/02/dicks-sporting-goods-hired-four-democrat-gun-control-lobbyists-april-records-show/

Dick's Lobbying Registration Form.
https://soprweb.senate.gov/index.cfm?event=getFilingDetails&filingID=42DCBF70-A497-4192-AA06-E598CB19A30D&filingTypeID=1

Lobbying Issue Codes
https://lobbyingdisclosure.house.gov/help/default.htm?turl=WordDocuments%2Flobbyingissuecode s.htm

blues
05-02-2018, 02:53 PM
Dick move.

Kyle Reese
05-02-2018, 03:07 PM
Great business move.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

WobblyPossum
05-02-2018, 03:18 PM
The only good thing about all this virtue signaling is that we know who definitely isn’t our friend.

–————————————————
My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

RoyGBiv
05-02-2018, 05:02 PM
What a bunch of Dicks.

Greg
05-02-2018, 06:16 PM
They are aptly named.

SeriousStudent
05-02-2018, 07:56 PM
I'm honestly not surprised at all.

Horseman
05-02-2018, 08:34 PM
Those actually having virtue don't need to signal it...

Totem Polar
05-02-2018, 11:27 PM
I'm honestly not surprised at all.

Y’know, nothing surprises me anymore on the one hand, but on the other, isn’t this a bit like big pharma lobbying for natural remedies, or big oil lobbying against pipelines? Makes me wonder how, exactly, do they think this move will ultimately play out? What, are they planning on driving friendly LGS’ out of business so they can corner the market on cheap chinese soccer cleats, spandex, and boxing gloves that aren’t fit to hit a bag with?

I must not be doing ‘evil genius’ right this week, because I don’t get it.

Paul D
05-02-2018, 11:53 PM
That company is awfully cocksure about their strategy. Of course it is full of fallacies, and is truly impotent. The climax of hiring these lobbyists is obviously premature. Hopefully they will find a way to quickly erect this dysfunction into something more virulent ....when moment is right....

Joe in PNG
05-03-2018, 12:03 AM
Y’know, nothing surprises me anymore on the one hand, but on the other, isn’t this a bit like big pharma lobbying for natural remedies, or big oil lobbying against pipelines? Makes me wonder how, exactly, do they think this move will ultimately play out? What, are they planning on driving friendly LGS’ out of business so they can corner the market on cheap chinese soccer cleats, spandex, and boxing gloves that aren’t fit to hit a bag with?

It's not the only case of a company making a roll to the left, and then going broke. You got too many bubble raised MBA's who don't understand the actual market they're supposed to be appealing to, because their social group is other bubble raised MBA's.

TAZ
05-03-2018, 11:48 AM

I think it’s a bit different from big oil lobby lobbying against pipelines. Big oil is invested in importing oil from say the ME, so it could be in their $$ interest to keep dependence going. Same for pharma and vitamins and homeopathic stuff. They have fingers in those pots.

Dicks is a sporting good store. Their customer base are hunters, fishermen, outdoorsmen... They are literally turning away their customer base. Hope they go belly up.

richiecotite
05-03-2018, 07:12 PM
Dicks is a sporting good store. Their customer base are hunters, fishermen, outdoorsmen... They are literally turning away their customer base. Hope they go belly up.

Might be different where you live, but the local Ducks customer base is soccer parents, high schoolers, and those that aren’t yet knowledgeable enough about guns and ammo to buy online or the local Walmart

OlongJohnson
05-03-2018, 07:37 PM

GENESEO, IL, (05/03/18) – Springfield Armory is severing ties with Dick’s Sporting Goods and its subsidiary, Field & Stream, in response to their hiring a group for anti-Second Amendment lobbying.

This latest action follows Dick’s Sporting Goods’ decision to remove and destroy all modern sporting rifles (MSR) from their inventory. In addition, they have denied Second Amendment rights to Americans under the age of 21. We at Springfield Armory believe that all law abiding American citizens of adult age are guaranteed this sacred right under our Constitution.

It is clear where Dick’s Sporting Goods and its subsidiary, Field & Stream, stand on the Second Amendment, and we want to be clear about our message in response. Their position runs counter to what we stand for as a company. At Springfield Armory, we believe in the right and principles fought for and secured by American patriots and our founding forefathers, without question. We will not accept Dick’s Sporting Goods’ continued attempts to deny Second Amendment freedoms to our fellow Americans.

SeriousStudent
05-03-2018, 09:33 PM
Might be different where you live, but the local Ducks customer base is soccer parents, high schoolers, and those that aren’t yet knowledgeable enough about guns and ammo to buy online or the local Walmart

Which is exactly why I was not surprised. The soccer moms outnumber the security moms.

Stephanie B
05-03-2018, 09:42 PM
So, they’ve flipped on this issue, then?

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device using Tapatalk

OlongJohnson
05-03-2018, 11:00 PM
I still haven’t seen any evidence that their earlier failure was anything more than inadequate supervision of a political consultant who didn’t understand the politics of their business. We, the firearms community, carry with one in the chamber when it comes to torches and pitchforks. Not necessarily without good reason, but I’ve seen it go overboard a few times in recent years.

Arbninftry
05-03-2018, 11:53 PM
Good for Springfield, now us little people can take money to other stores, drop emails, and in general tell DICKs like these to go DICK themselves and tell all of our friends that FRIENDS DONT DO DICKs

And if you really want DICKs go to a local gunshop and SLAP YOURSELF!! Support youR local shops you FUKKINSHMUCKS

Totem Polar
05-04-2018, 08:52 PM
Springfield PR

I like the headline that these guys used:

http://gunsgeardaily.wpengine.com/springfield-armory-cuts-dicks-off/

Wheeler
05-04-2018, 09:00 PM
They made the NSSF's shit list as well.

MAY 4, 2018

NSSF EXPELS DICK’S SPORTING GOODS
NEWTOWN, Conn. — The National Shooting Sports Foundation® (NSSF®), the trade association for the firearms, ammunition, hunting and shooting sports industries, Board of Governors today unanimously voted to expel Dick’s Sporting Goods from membership for conduct detrimental to the best interests of the Foundation.

Dick’s Sporting Goods recently hired a Washington D.C.-based government affairs firm, for “[l]obbying related to gun control.” Dick’s Sporting Goods CEO Edward W. Stack announced earlier this year the retail chain would end sales of modern sporting rifles, voluntarily raise the age to 21 to purchase firearms in their stores and called for more restrictive legislation. Dick’s later announced they would destroy the remaining modern sporting rifle inventory. NSSF responded that business decisions should be individually made, but was nonetheless disappointed and the decision does not reflect the reality of the vast majority of law-abiding gun owners.

https://www.nssf.org/nssf-expels-dicks-sporting-goods/

SeriousStudent
05-04-2018, 09:43 PM
I like the headline that these guys used:

http://gunsgeardaily.wpengine.com/springfield-armory-cuts-dicks-off/

Jim Watson
05-05-2018, 10:29 PM
What goes around, comes around.

"MAY 4, 2018
NSSF EXPELS DICK’S SPORTING GOODS

NEWTOWN, Conn. — The National Shooting Sports Foundation® (NSSF®), the trade association for the firearms, ammunition, hunting and shooting sports industries, Board of Governors today unanimously voted to expel Dick’s Sporting Goods from membership for conduct detrimental to the best interests of the Foundation.

Dick’s Sporting Goods recently hired a Washington D.C.-based government affairs firm, for “[l]obbying related to gun control.” Dick’s Sporting Goods CEO Edward W. Stack announced earlier this year the retail chain would end sales of modern sporting rifles, voluntarily raise the age to 21 to purchase firearms in their stores and called for more restrictive legislation. Dick’s later announced they would destroy the remaining modern sporting rifle inventory. NSSF responded that business decisions should be individually made, but was nonetheless disappointed and the decision does not reflect the reality of the vast majority of law-abiding gun owners."

https://www.nssf.org/nssf-expels-dicks-sporting-goods/

Chemsoldier
05-06-2018, 06:56 AM
I can't really shop there any less at this point.

Perhaps I can start going there after taco night and blowing up their restroom...