PDA

View Full Version : Your Input is Requested

NPV
05-01-2018, 09:12 AM
I am posting this thread hoping to receive some input from the P-F brain trust. I am currently tossing around the idea of selling my AR to fund the purchase of a Beretta 1301. But first I will give you some background.

I live in CT so we can still purchase certain Pre-Ban (Pre 1993) rifles and lowers. This "Ban" has driven the prices on these lowers upwards of $1K. There seem to be a decent amount of them around but I'm sure at some point they will dry up as there are only a finite number of these "pre-ban" lowers/rifles in circulation.

I currently own an Olympic lower with a BCM RECCE upper and some other toys/accessories. I bought the gun simply because it is fun to shoot but I truthfully don't have a purpose for it and don't plan on taking any carbine training. I'm also limited to 10 round mags so the usefulness of such a rifle can be debated. My view has always been if I ever were to need a firearm to defend myself it will likely be a handgun as that is what I am going to be carrying with me so I don't put much stock into rifle training/practice.

I would like to get a 1301 for home defense as well as other "tasks" as I believe shotguns are very versatile tools. The money I would get from selling my entire AR setup would allow me to afford the shotgun as well as a few add-ons and still have money left over for ammo/maybe a class.

On to my question; Should I sell this AR I may not be able to replace I the future for a shotgun that likely prove to be more useful?

overton
05-01-2018, 10:04 AM
What are new 1301 going for? 700,-?
I would never sell something as versatile as an Ar15 (with several uppers) that cant be replaced.

Bigghoss
05-01-2018, 10:16 AM
The AR will be difficult/impossible to replace so I say keep it.

dontshakepandas
05-01-2018, 10:30 AM
I wouldn't sell it. I'd never get rid of something that I might not be able to reacquire later.

I can't fault you for wanting a 1301, but I'd keep what you have and just save up and buy one later. I'd also argue that a shotgun for home defense may require more training than an AR15 and has its own set of difficulties you'd have to overcome.

Duces Tecum
05-01-2018, 11:05 AM
To rephrase the question a little, your alternatives seem to be (a) should I exchange my apple and for an orange, and have only one or the other, or (b) should I keep my apple and add an orange next year, thus having both an apple and an orange a year from now.

Twelve months from now, when you look back on this decision, what would you wish you would have done? That's your answer.

WobblyPossum
05-01-2018, 11:07 AM
I voted to keep the AR and save for a 1301 only because you’re in a ban state and may not be able to get another AR in a similar configuration if you sell your current one. However, if you don’t really care about the AR and you feel like you might get more out of the 1301, you should go ahead and sell. You should be able to clear enough to afford the gun and some nice Aridus accessories.

–————————————————
My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

pangloss
05-01-2018, 11:12 AM
Given the regional politics, I would keep the AR.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

TCinVA
05-01-2018, 11:24 AM
Keep the AR for sure.

Buy a trade-in 870 now or a 1301 next year.

jwperry
05-01-2018, 11:24 AM
Which do you think you'll actually use? Whether for fun or for practical purposes?

I was fairly anti-shotgun for a while, for no other reason than rifles are "better". Better at what? I don't know. I do know that my 1301 Comp is a hoot to shoot #8 shot with and is cheap fun. I feel like shooting the AR I'm counting $$ every time I pull the trigger. Only reason I haven't sold my AR is that it is the only gun my wife has ever bought me (well the stripped lower that became my AR). If it was a factory gun with no sentimental value, I'd have sold it to buy a 1301 Tactical. For me, in my lifestyle and experience set, a decent pistol & hunting rifle are all that I "need" and anything else is a toy and I try to judge my invest in those toys with that 'want vs need' mentality.

I haven't found a new 1301 Tactical for less than $800 in 2018, if someone has a lead, I'm interested. I should have bought 2 when they were $650!

NPV
05-01-2018, 11:45 AM
I voted to keep the AR and save for a 1301 only because you’re in a ban state and may not be able to get another AR in a similar configuration if you sell your current one. However, if you don’t really care about the AR and you feel like you might get more out of the 1301, you should go ahead and sell. You should be able to clear enough to afford the gun and some nice Aridus accessories.

–————————————————
My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
That's kind of where I'm at. Let's put it this way the last time I shot it I fed it 80 rounds 12/2017 prior to that was 120 rounds 12/2016, so it doesn't get used really at all.

Keep the AR for sure.

Buy a trade-in 870 now or a 1301 next year.
I slept too long on that Rat-Worx deal and missed out, now I'm sold on the 1301 in some form or another.

Which do you think you'll actually use? Whether for fun or for practical purposes?

I was fairly anti-shotgun for a while, for no other reason than rifles are "better". Better at what? I don't know. I do know that my 1301 Comp is a hoot to shoot #8 shot with and is cheap fun. I feel like shooting the AR I'm counting $$ every time I pull the trigger. Only reason I haven't sold my AR is that it is the only gun my wife has ever bought me (well the stripped lower that became my AR). If it was a factory gun with no sentimental value, I'd have sold it to buy a 1301 Tactical. For me, in my lifestyle and experience set, a decent pistol & hunting rifle are all that I "need" and anything else is a toy and I try to judge my invest in those toys with that 'want vs need' mentality.

I haven't found a new 1301 Tactical for less than $800 in 2018, if someone has a lead, I'm interested. I should have bought 2 when they were $650!
The shotgun would be used for HD, boat gun (on rare occasions), maybe to shoot some clays (if I get the comp model), and the occasional hunt.

My AR gets used as a "fun" gun when (more like if) it gets used. I will admit I do like having it just to have it. But If I knew that I could get one again tomorrow it would be gone.

WobblyPossum
05-01-2018, 11:50 AM
I think the cheap 1301s are still sporadically showing themselves. Buds Gun Shop had 5 of them for $650 last week. They’re all sold out now but it might be worth keeping an eye out online.

–————————————————

41magfan
05-01-2018, 01:33 PM
Personally, I'd keep the AR and acquire a SG later.

I've often said that if I had to "make do" (for whatever reason ... real or imagined) with just one long-gun, it would be a SG. But, it wouldn't be an open and fixed choked gun with iron/ghost ring sights like the old model 1301 Tactical ..... one of the 1301 Competition models, maybe.

Drang
05-01-2018, 01:39 PM
Unless you are moving to a free state, or there is a serious prospect of Connecticut becoming a free state in the near future, or the political atmosphere is such that you would be better off defending your family with a shotgun, keep the AR, get the shotgun later.

txdpd
05-01-2018, 01:40 PM
I'm also limited to 10 round mags so the usefulness of such a rifle can be debated.

While I'm not going to argue against that train of thought that morer is betterer when it comes to 20 and 30 round mags, 10 rounds of 5.56 is nothing to scoff at. For the vast majority of domestic rifle uses that have gone beyond 10 rounds, the solution was aim more and miss less, not more shooting. I know that's of little consolation if you need more than 10 rounds, regardless of the circumstances, but 10 rounds mags are more of limitation in theory than in practice. I wouldn't ditch a rifle because it was limited to just 10 rounds per magazine.

NPV
05-01-2018, 01:44 PM
Personally, I'd keep the AR and acquire a SG later.

I've often said that if I had to "make do" (for whatever reason ... real or imagined) with just one long-gun, it would be a SG. But, it wouldn't be an open and fixed choked gun with iron/ghost ring sights like the old model 1301 Tactical ..... one of the 1301 Competition models, maybe.
I'm leaning towards a 21" Comp as a Do-it-all shotgun. But the input I've received from this thread is telling me that it will be happening in later years.

critter
05-01-2018, 02:23 PM
On to my question; Should I sell this AR I may not be able to replace I the future for a shotgun that likely prove to be more useful?

"Likely" is operative there. If you knew the future for certain I'd say go for it. Tea leaves are difficult to read. You already have a hell of a versatile firearm with the AR which you may not be able to replace. I'd wait and have both.

NPV
05-01-2018, 03:15 PM
"Likely" is operative there. If you knew the future for certain I'd say go for it. Tea leaves are difficult to read. You already have a hell of a versatile firearm with the AR which you may not be able to replace. I'd wait and have both.

And that's why I'm torn on the decision and I think at this point I'm going to wait until I have to funds and just be the happy owner of both. That is unless someone makes a really substantial argument as to why I need a 1301 NOW.

For those interested I should have made it more clear in my original post I am leaning towards the Comp model for added versatility and capacity over the Tactical model but again I can be convinced otherwise.

RevolverRob
05-01-2018, 03:29 PM
I wouldn't trade an AR you might not be able to get again for a 1301.

Limited to 10-rounds does suck. So, why not do something fun? .458 SOCOM upper. At least then you get slugs approaching 20-gauge territory, and the Barnes bullets in a .458 are nothing to mock. Nine-rounds fit in a standard AR magazine.

That'd give you some big-bore versatility.

Or, buy a Mossberg 500.

03RN
05-01-2018, 06:43 PM
Do an 80%

StraitR
05-01-2018, 08:22 PM
I voted Keep and Save due to being in the ban state. I totally get dust settling on stuff in the safe and feeling compelled to sell for something on my "wantsies" list, but I've often repurchased the sold items when they get interesting again. The fact that you may or may not be able to repurchase, or have to repurchase at a much higher buy-in, puts me solidly in the patience grasshopper camp.

Wheeler
05-01-2018, 08:44 PM
I'm in the minority. I voted to ditch the AR. They aren't really any more versatile than a shotgun, shotgun ammo never disappeared after Sandy Hook like 5.56/.223 did, nor did the price go up substantially. You'll never have an AR setup that will hit as hard as 12 gauge slugs. Flite Control isn't cheap but it's the best alternative for Buckshot. Yes splatter gats take more work to run well. So what? Sell the AR, set up a 1301, get some ammo, and take a class from jlw. :)

NPV
05-01-2018, 09:01 PM
Do an 80%

Tempting but it's ended badly for people in this state before......

Spartan1980
05-01-2018, 09:53 PM
Keep the rifle. An 870 or Mossberg 500/590 will do all the shotgun activities you list especially one with screw-in chokes. Cake + the icing.

Unobtanium
05-02-2018, 12:58 AM
Keep the AR, add the 1301. Remember when t he Post-86 deal happened? How much is an M16A1 lower? Yeah...I know it sounds stupid, but I could see your lower not getting to Pre-86 status, but it will go far above $1K before it's said and done.

NPV
05-02-2018, 07:30 AM
Keep the rifle. An 870 or Mossberg 500/590 will do all the shotgun activities you list especially one with screw-in chokes. Cake + the icing.
I do have a Pardner Pump I just would like to add a semi to the stable

Keep the AR, add the 1301. Remember when t he Post-86 deal happened? How much is an M16A1 lower? Yeah...I know it sounds stupid, but I could see your lower not getting to Pre-86 status, but it will go far above $1K before it's said and done.

I didn't think of it from a collector's perspective but that is a good way of looking at it.

NPV
05-02-2018, 08:03 AM
So to everyone who replied to this thread. Do you think I should get the Comp or Tactical model when I am ready to buy. My thought is the Comp model will have a bit more versatility as well as capacity, but may be a bit less "handy" if ever forced to use it indoors.

What are your thoughts?

03RN
05-02-2018, 09:12 AM
Tempting but it's ended badly for people in this state before......

Gotcha, I didn't know. Same with 80% AR pistols?

I prefer the tac one fwiw too.

NPV
05-02-2018, 10:14 AM
Gotcha, I didn't know. Same with 80% AR pistols?

I prefer the tac one fwiw too.
Yup though I just remembered Troy is making AOW that is CT legal, you can put a pistol brace on, it needs to have a FG, with a barrel length around 12" IIRC.

Hambo
05-07-2018, 06:35 PM
Sell the Pardner and move out of CT. ;)

How likely is it that CT will at some point ban ARs entirely? I thought we were safe here in FL but it was seriously on the table after the MSD shooting. If you think it can/will happen there, beat the rush and either move or sell the AR.

NPV
05-08-2018, 08:51 AM
Sell the Pardner and move out of CT. ;)

How likely is it that CT will at some point ban ARs entirely? I thought we were safe here in FL but it was seriously on the table after the MSD shooting. If you think it can/will happen there, beat the rush and either move or sell the AR.
I'm keeping the Pardner as it was gifted to me.

As far as CT completely banning ARs; that was their original intent but as you can see the politicians who were in favor of this ban we too incompetent to get it done the first go around. I doubt these laws will be tightened up unless there is another shooting in which the AR is the focal point.

I would love to move and I may in the future but at least for the next few years I won't be going anywhere.

Also I forgot to mention I realized the AR is replaceable, I can go out and buy a Troy "AOW" with a brace to tune of $1300 OTD. 12-14" barrel IIRC, with a non-removable front pin.

Nocturnalis Discipulo
05-08-2018, 09:27 AM
Well I decided on the 1301 COMP model, and the versatility is what swayed me. I think that if you will or think you will spend time hunting, or shooting clay sports with it, the Comp model may be better for you.
To me beads feel right on a shotgun and I know how to use them. Trying to shoot slugs at range is not a great way to use a bead sight.

Not being able to adjust your sights to match POI/POA may also be a downside. I have not had any problems though all of the different bird and buck loads are centered pretty well on mine.

I am happy with my choice, I would love the shorter barrel though.

I am thinking about buying the TAC model to complement it, or a cheap 870 to get experience with rifle/open sights. But if you were to limit me to one shotgun the Comp model is what I would choose.

NPV
05-08-2018, 10:19 AM
Well I decided on the 1301 COMP model, and the versatility is what swayed me. I think that if you will or think you will spend time hunting, or shooting clay sports with it, the Comp model may be better for you.
To me beads feel right on a shotgun and I know how to use them. Trying to shoot slugs at range is not a great way to use a bead sight.

Not being able to adjust your sights to match POI/POA may also be a downside. I have not had any problems though all of the different bird and buck loads are centered pretty well on mine.

I am happy with my choice, I would love the shorter barrel though.

I am thinking about buying the TAC model to complement it, or a cheap 870 to get experience with rifle/open sights. But if you were to limit me to one shotgun the Comp model is what I would choose.
Did you go with the 21" or 24" model?

I have limited time behind a shotgun but I have used both a bead and the XS GRS. The ghost rings are definitely nicer when shooting slugs at ~50 yrs but the bead is still plenty useable IMO. I figure I'd probably replace the F/O with one of those larger "triangle" inserts.

Nocturnalis Discipulo
05-08-2018, 11:18 AM
I went with the 21" I think that would be about the maximum length I for want defensive purposes. I shot a 100 in the Rangemaster Shotgun Instructor course last weekend, so I dont think the bead is a huge problem at these ranges, but the longest shots were 25 yards. Mine seems to shoot everything I have fed it with pretty well, even the S&B and Fiocci buck did ok especially when I can adjust chokes, although flight control is worlds better.
Which triangle inserts?

NPV
05-08-2018, 11:25 AM
I went with the 21" I think that would be about the maximum length I for want defensive purposes. I shot a 100 in the Rangemaster Shotgun Instructor course last weekend, so I dont think the bead is a huge problem at these ranges, but the longest shots were 25 yards. Mine seems to shoot everything I have fed it with pretty well, even the S&B and Fiocci buck did ok especially when I can adjust chokes, although flight control is worlds better.
Which triangle inserts?
I couldn't think of who made them. They come on the Taran Tactical shotguns.

They have lots of different options here http://www.hivizsights.com/product-category/products/shotgun-sights/page/2/

Primarily this one http://www.hivizsights.com/product/tricomp/

Nocturnalis Discipulo
05-08-2018, 12:42 PM
I couldn't think of who made them. They come on the Taran Tactical shotguns.

They have lots of different options here http://www.hivizsights.com/product-category/products/shotgun-sights/page/2/

Primarily this one http://www.hivizsights.com/product/tricomp/

Thanks, I hadn't seen those. I am going to have to pick one up and try out they look interesting.

I did vote to keep the AR and save up for the 1301.

One thing that Tom Givens was talking about in the instructor class was serving size. A serving size being what it takes to end a fight, 3-5 shots for AR's, 3-4 shots for pistols, but 1 shot for shotguns. Shotgun fights in his experience never took more than 2 hits and never more than one solid hit. Obviously blowing off a fat roll won't be lethal, but the second shot to the chest tends to end things decisively.

Thinking about the number of servings in a shotgun may be even more relevant in a ban state than otherwise. Having 6 in the gun and 6 on the sidesaddle is many more useful servings than a couple of 10 round AR mags on the gun. FWIW

NPV
05-08-2018, 01:15 PM
Thanks, I hadn't seen those. I am going to have to pick one up and try out they look interesting.

I did vote to keep the AR and save up for the 1301.

One thing that Tom Givens was talking about in the instructor class was serving size. A serving size being what it takes to end a fight, 3-5 shots for AR's, 3-4 shots for pistols, but 1 shot for shotguns. Shotgun fights in his experience never took more than 2 hits and never more than one solid hit. Obviously blowing off a fat roll won't be lethal, but the second shot to the chest tends to end things decisively.

Thinking about the number of servings in a shotgun may be even more relevant in a ban state than otherwise. Having 6 in the gun and 6 on the sidesaddle is many more useful servings than a couple of 10 round AR mags on the gun. FWIW

That's the point I was trying to get to with my original post. I can in theory use my AR for home defense but that will limit me to 10 rounds as I won't be stuffing my PJs full of spares. A 1301 will give me 14 rounds (8 in the tube 6 on the saddle) of one-shot-stop medicine without having to grab anything in addition to just the gun itself. Plus when my buddies ask me to go shoot some clays or waterfoul I won't have to borrow their stuff.

And yes I could just buy an inexpensive longer barreled shotgun in addition to the 18" H&R I have but I like using quality stuff. In reality this is a hobby for me not part of my job so I like to make the most of the limited time I can dedicate to it and having quality gear helps. I'd rather have one solid tool that is decent at every task rather than multiple low-quality options that are only marginally better at the given task.

Duelist
05-08-2018, 01:31 PM
That's the point I was trying to get to with my original post. I can in theory use my AR for home defense but that will limit me to 10 rounds as I won't be stuffing my PJs full of spares. A 1301 will give me 14 rounds (8 in the tube 6 on the saddle) of one-shot-stop medicine without having to grab anything in addition to just the gun itself. Plus when my buddies ask me to go shoot some clays or waterfoul I won't have to borrow their stuff.

And yes I could just buy an inexpensive longer barreled shotgun in addition to the 18" H&R I have but I like using quality stuff. In reality this is a hobby for me not part of my job so I like to make the most of the limited time I can dedicate to it and having quality gear helps. I'd rather have one solid tool that is decent at every task rather than multiple low-quality options that are only marginally better at the given task.

Put a magazine holder on the butt of the rifle. That way, you'll have 20 rounds without the oddly sagging pocket on your PJs.

NPV
05-08-2018, 01:44 PM
Put a magazine holder on the butt of the rifle. That way, you'll have 20 rounds without the oddly sagging pocket on your PJs.

This is true but I do not plan on ever using this rifle for home defense for reasons other than just mag capacity.