PDA

View Full Version : Unsecure Connection?

RevolverRob
04-29-2018, 01:05 AM
Just had an issue loading P-F. On both my laptop and my phone (not tapatalk). I got an “unsecure connection” warning. I used Verizon data to attempt login via phone and my home internet from my laptop. So two different devices, different connections - same error. I screen shotted the info of the untrusted security cert.

Drang
04-29-2018, 01:54 AM
I go that, too.
Then I got a message telling me to email webmaster@pistol-forum.com

Those were on the computer here in the Salt Mines. It was sure looking like a slow night. Which is fine, but no P-F!

I tried from my phone, but when I navigated to pistol-forum.com I got a view of the directory structure I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to have access to...

Drang
04-29-2018, 01:55 AM
I got that, too.
Then I got a message telling me to email webmaster@pistol-forum.com

Those were on the computer here in the Salt Mines. It was sure looking like a slow night. Which is fine, but no P-F!

I tried from my phone, but when I navigated to pistol-forum.com I got a view of the directory structure I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to have access to...

RJ
04-29-2018, 06:46 AM
Well, this is pretty odd...coincidentally I was charging up an old iPod Touch for possible use on a vehicle with a four year old entertainment system.

The iPod charged up ok, then I went to Safari to see whether things were ok from an internet perspective. I typed in www.pistol-forum.com and got a "Safari could not open the page because it could not establish a secure connection to the server" message.

I went over to the Acer laptop I have on my desk here at home, and have no issues with the forum using FireFox/Windoze 10.

I don't know much how all this works; just trying to add a data point.

RJ
04-29-2018, 11:23 AM
Thanks Tom.

Hope things get resolved soon.

blues
04-29-2018, 11:50 AM
Me too. Every action on the site is taking 30 to 60 (or more!) seconds to complete. I keep trying to impress upon the support people at our hosting provider exactly how unacceptable this is. :)

Good to know. I thought it was just wonky on my end.

hufnagel
04-29-2018, 01:39 PM
aye. I thought it was me somehow, but PF is dogging hard still.

perlslacker
04-29-2018, 01:58 PM
SSL root certificates and other security related things change, I’m not surprised that an old device, with an assumably un-updated OS, would have problems. In any case, the only things that have changed are DKIM, SPF, and RDNS — and all that was done in an effort to get MS to start deliverying email from PF. #ThanksMicrosoft (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=ThanksMicrosoft)

I had the same issue, and IIRC it was a certificate expired error. Nothing to do with root certs (and our company's DUO auth is really good about reminding me to stay updated).

Could be something with your hosting provider? IDK what service you use or what control you have over things like TLS certs.

perlslacker
04-29-2018, 03:36 PM
perlslacker, I got your PM (WTF?!) and forwarded the info (with corroborating evidence) to my hosting provider -- where I'm sure I'll get a "we're monitoring the server" bullshit response.

cPanel's team rn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IG3zqvUqJY

perlslacker
04-29-2018, 03:39 PM
perlslacker, I got your PM (WTF?!) and forwarded the info (with corroborating evidence) to my hosting provider -- where I'm sure I'll get a "we're monitoring the server" bullshit response.

cPanel's team rn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IG3zqvUqJY

also I'm repeatedly getting 503'd on this site, but only for this thread. COINCIDENCE???!?!?!?!!?!?!?1111??!11??11one

e: ok at least once the post went through despite the error code

it's official: I do not understand computers. I'm quitting computers and starting a bakery. Free muffins for p-f members.

Totem Polar
04-29-2018, 04:03 PM
lots of 503 today for me, as well. timeouts, and 60-second+ loading, both desktop and iPad; home and away. FWIW. And, it's just P-F. Aliens...

Spartan1980
04-29-2018, 04:21 PM
Maybe it's the same issue, but Tapatalk appeared to be totally broken earlier today. Never did get it to load a page but I could have been a bit impatient with it. Tell them to reboot the damn server!

BehindBlueI's
04-29-2018, 04:59 PM
Also, they are in Ernakulam, not Bangalore. Sorry, Bangalore.

I don't know where either are, but the folks at Bangalore make a damn fine torpedo.

SeriousStudent
04-29-2018, 05:30 PM
A pity it's not Bangalore, I'd have some of my minions go over and help.

They are very loyal, and quite good at computer nerditry.

SeriousStudent
04-29-2018, 05:40 PM
Tom, I'm a nice boss. They fly Air India domestic, and Emirates when they visit the States.

That's how you keep the minions loyal. :cool:

RJ
04-29-2018, 07:43 PM
Response time seems to be back to normal, at least here in Tampa. Thanks for keeping the lights on Tom.

beenalongtime
04-29-2018, 10:12 PM
A lot has changed in India since 1912, especially since 1947.

Earlier today, and late last night, had issues hitting the archive (blue), posts instead of current ones. Then I send someone a PM and received a 503, so hit back and resent (they got two messages).
Got to say the mod is great, the server however is shit.:p
And I wish you luck getting those running it, to pay attention to their job, rather then telemarketing/scamming us instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJXww8aizAM