PDA

View Full Version : Charging Handle Recommendations Please.

SC_Dave
04-27-2018, 07:30 AM
So I added a Steiner LPVO to my DDM4V11. The optic sits far enough to the rear for proper eye relief that it make getting a purchase on the charging handle a little difficult. I'm looking for a replacement CH that has some extension. I considered the Geissele SCH but I'm not sure if it's an extended handle. Recommendations?
David

NPV
04-27-2018, 07:49 AM
BCM Mod 3 if you're looking to go super extendo

leathermaneod
04-27-2018, 08:59 AM
I just purchased the newest version of the BCM, I think it’s the 3x3, medium size, ambi. It is slightly larger than oe, which is what I wanted. I like it very well so far. Maybe the 4x4, which is the large version, would be good for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

txdpd
04-27-2018, 08:59 AM
Did you want an extended handle?

I have an older BCM mod 3, i.e. sternum gouger, if you want it. It's free so even if t doesn't work out it'll give you reference point to work off of.

texasaggie2005
04-27-2018, 09:33 AM
I have a Geissele ACH & SCH; I prefer the ACH as it snags less, but the SCH is just a tad larger which makes it easier to use around a magnified optic.

MSparks909
04-27-2018, 09:35 AM
Geissele SCH or the new BCM 3x3

Clusterfrack
04-27-2018, 10:18 AM
I haven't found the perfect CH yet. Everything I've tried other than the flimsy standard CH either pokes me in the sternum or--even worse--comes open by snagging on my gear when the rifle is slung.

I'm interested in where this thread leads... hopefully to a charging handle that stays closed when it's supposed to.

William B.
04-27-2018, 10:38 AM
I've been using the Sintercore Tripwire on my AR for a year or so. I don't use my AR nearly as much as my pistols, but the Tripwire is holding up well so far. (Disclaimer: I served with the guy who makes this product)

https://sintercore.com/product/tripwire-5-56-scv/

SC_Dave
04-27-2018, 10:39 AM
Did you want an extended handle?

I have an older BCM mod 3, i.e. sternum gouger, if you want it. It's free so even if t doesn't work out it'll give you reference point to work off of.

Well, this is hard to beat. This post and Clusterfrack post brings me another thought process when it comes to finding a new CH. I had and extended CH on my Stag Arms rifle, went to a 2 day rifle class at Valor Ridge. I could not wait to get home to get the "sternum gouger" as txdpd calls it off of my rifle! So, I'm not sure how to get a CH that makes it easier for me to manipulate and not gouge my sternum.

I run my stock fully extended.

https://i.imgur.com/sUZJKqO.jpg

MSparks909
04-27-2018, 10:58 AM
I haven't found the perfect CH yet. Everything I've tried other than the flimsy standard CH either pokes me in the sternum or--even worse--comes open by snagging on my gear when the rifle is slung.

I'm interested in where this thread leads... hopefully to a charging handle that stays closed when it's supposed to.

The Geissele Airborne charging handle was developed to address these issues. Have you checked it out? The new BCM 4x4 or new Mod 4 is similarly sized.

I tend to prefer larger latches (standard Geissele/BCM 3x3/new Mod 3/Raptor) on my rifles that wear magnified optics and medium sized latches (Airborne Geissele/BCM 4x4/new Mod 4) on optics that wear a RDS or Eotech.

Clusterfrack
04-27-2018, 11:25 AM
The Geissele Airborne charging handle was developed to address these issues. Have you checked it out? The new BCM 4x4 or new Mod 4 is similarly sized.

I tend to prefer larger latches (standard Geissele/BCM 3x3/new Mod 3/Raptor) on my rifles that wear magnified optics and medium sized latches (Airborne Geissele/BCM 4x4/new Mod 4) on optics that wear a RDS or Eotech.

Ordered. Thanks.

https://geissele.com/airborne-charging-handle.html

SC_Dave
04-27-2018, 11:46 AM
Ordered. Thanks.

#notmessinaround (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=notmessinaround)

bravo7
04-27-2018, 02:45 PM
Geiselle or Radian Arms.

dontshakepandas
04-27-2018, 03:13 PM
I've been using a Radian Raptor on my BCM rifle that has a Steiner LPVO with no issues. I like it a lot better than the ambi BCM charging handle that I got with the upper, although the new BCM models look better.

I don't think you can go wrong with Radian, Geissele, or BCM. Just pick the one you like best.

critter
04-27-2018, 03:14 PM
Another thumbs up for the Raptor. All of my AR's are Raptorfied. I have no plans to change out but mine are all a couple years old though. Lots of newer options to take a look at. I didn't like the Gunfighters back then, but I especially like the look of the newer BCM offerings (admittedly, I'm a huge BCM fan... I have quite a few of their... hats)

cmbarny2
05-06-2018, 08:30 PM
I’m running a DDM4V5 with a Steiner P4xi. I have my optic closer to the rail compared to you. Anymore forward and I’d be bridging it, but I also run my stock closer (slot 2).

As for charging handle I went to a Raptor Radian I got on blem sale. I have BCM Mod 3 and Mod 4 for my other two rifles and I think I prefer the BCMs. I’d probably go with their new charging handle if I wanted to change. The raptor doesn’t impress me honestly. Not that its done anything wrong, I just really like the BCMs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

einherjarvalk
05-07-2018, 01:14 AM
I'm very much sold on the Geissele charging handles. While I honestly think an "upgraded" charging handle isn't that necessary on an AR, I still like them enough that they're one of the first things I replace or spend extra money on when presented with a stock AR.

With that in mind, I purchased one of the new BCM Gunfighter Mod 4B charging handles for my dad's rifle since they were on sale. I was rather surprised to find that they've actually gotten a bit smaller since their last iteration; you may find this to be a boon or a bane depending on your approach. It still feels like a solid upgrade over a USGI model, but I certainly still prefer the SCH and ACH design over everything else I've tried thus far.

For comparison, here's the USGI handle, the BCM Mod 4B (Medium), Geissele SCH, and Geissele ACH:

https://i.imgur.com/OFq5vWfl.jpg

Wake27
05-07-2018, 04:17 AM
Heard great things about the Radian but I love my Geissele ACHs. The SCH will serve just as well for those that want a larger latch. Pair either with the Forward Controls Design LDFA for a win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somewhatstock
05-07-2018, 04:30 AM
People are missing out on the Mega Arms/now Zev charging handle.

If my rifle is slung with the bolt back, my Geisseles get pulled back just from snagging my clothes.

DMF13
05-09-2018, 12:56 AM
. . . older BCM mod 3, i.e. sternum gouger . . .
You've just hit on one of the few advantages to shooting a long gun left handed. I use a BCM 3, but it's away from my body.

Clusterfrack
05-09-2018, 12:17 PM
Ordered. Thanks.

I like it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180509/c58d101af3cd0879a9eff04bce8e42b7.jpg

Mark D
07-17-2018, 11:23 AM
Probably a stupid question, but can someone explain the advantages that these charging handles have over the USGI pattern? Is it primarily for ambi operation, or are there deficiencies with the standard style?

I learned the M16 manual of arms back in 1985 and I know things have changed since them, so I'm genuinely interested.

Mark D
07-23-2018, 01:43 PM
I've done some more research. In case anyone is wondering (like I was), there appears to be at least two advantages to the aftermarket charging handles.

1) Some folks like to stroke the charging handle by grasping only one side of the handle, instead of pulling it with a digit on each side. 2) Large optics can make it hard to grasp the small USGI handle.

I'll probably try one eventually.

Clusterfrack
07-23-2018, 07:23 PM
Also:
Some CH are less prone to come open by snagging on gear (although many aftermarket CH are worse in this regard). And some reduce gas blowback from suppressors.

smithjd
07-24-2018, 08:14 AM
All good choices mentioned. But whatever you do, avoid the Spikes Tactical charging handles. I think they must use soft aluminum shear pins instead of quality roll pins, with the old design that puts the stress on the pin. Have seen three fail with limited use.

Unobtanium
07-24-2018, 10:44 AM
Badger Gen 3.

Jay Cunningham
07-24-2018, 10:50 AM
You guys must have some big sternums.

MistWolf
07-25-2018, 06:30 PM
You guys must have some big sternums.

I've got big sternums
I've got big sternums
They're such big sternums
And they're dirty big sternums
And he's got big sternums
And she's got big sternums
But we've got the biggest sternums of them all!