PDA

View Full Version : SOE micro rig

03RN
04-21-2018, 05:45 PM
I finally sucked it up and bought one. Brownells has them in stock and active junky gave me 7% back.

I stopped by the range and "mag dumped" it twice. With an unloaded shotgun I'd load untill full. Shoot untill empty, then repeat.

I did it with my shockwave once, then my stocked 590a1. I think it's a good addition to a side saddle and the shockwave where I don't want to make it heavier. The micro rig is a nice way to add some extra rounds.

Trying to load the shockwave from the chest puts all the weight and torque on your right hand. Make sure you eat your Wheaties. It's doable, but noticable after a while.

Sherman A. House DDS
04-21-2018, 06:10 PM
I finally sucked it up and bought one. Brownells has them in stock and active junky gave me 7% back.

I stopped by the range and "mag dumped" it twice. With an unloaded shotgun I'd load untill full. Shoot untill empty, then repeat.

I did it with my shockwave once, then my stocked 590a1. I think it's a good addition to a side saddle and the shockwave where I don't want to make it heavier. The micro rig is a nice way to add some extra rounds.

Trying to load the shockwave from the chest puts all the weight and torque on your right hand. Make sure you eat your Wheaties. It's doable, but noticable after a while.

I invented the Micro Rigs with John Willis, back about 07-08. I was working with the Barrett family at the time, and wanted a lightweight rig that would carry Ammo for a long gun and an IFAK, but suspended asymmetrically. I drew a picture on a Chili’s napkin and sent it to John on a flip phone. He made the prototype, and brought it to me a week later. I wore it for 2 weeks straight while working, recommended a couple tweaks, and John streamlined the design for mass production.

Post pics. I collect them. I have photos of folks wearing them as Civilian Defender training rigs, as active killer rigs in patrol cars all over America, AND Canada, and soldiers and contractors all over the world. There’s tens of thousands of them out in the world.

civiliandefender.com

03RN
04-21-2018, 06:43 PM
I invented the Micro Rigs with John Willis, back about 07-08. I was working with the Barrett family at the time, and wanted a lightweight rig that would carry Ammo for a long gun and an IFAK, but suspended asymmetrically. I drew a picture on a Chili’s napkin and sent it to John on a flip phone. He made the prototype, and brought it to me a week later. I wore it for 2 weeks straight while working, recommended a couple tweaks, and John streamlined the design for mass production.

Post pics. I collect them. I have photos of folks wearing them as Civilian Defender training rigs, as active killer rigs in patrol cars all over America, AND Canada, and soldiers and contractors all over the world. There’s tens of thousands of them out in the world.

civiliandefender.com

Cool

I'll get some video from my next practical shotgun match too.

Sorry but this one is just in Rhode Island. It's been 13 years since my last deployment and I sure don't wear this to work at my psych hospital. It's just for funsies. I will use it hunting this year though.

Sherman A. House DDS
04-21-2018, 06:57 PM
Cool

I'll get some video from my next practical shotgun match too.

Sorry but this one is just in Rhode Island. It's been 13 years since my last deployment and I sure don't wear this to work at my psych hospital. It's just for funsies. I will use it hunting this year though.

Well done!

civiliandefender.com

03RN
04-22-2018, 09:02 AM
Filtered

Hizzie
04-22-2018, 05:19 PM
One of these days I’ll grab one for the AK.

Dagga Boy
04-22-2018, 05:33 PM
If there was a similar product made by someone other than John Willis, I would get one. I won’t give Willis a nickel. I use an old Eagle one that has worked well.

GJM
04-22-2018, 05:55 PM
If there was a similar product made by someone other than John Willis, I would get one. I won’t give Willis a nickel. I use an old Eagle one that has worked well.

Sounds like customer service is not something John is big on.

I got my SOE rigs 15 years or so ago, and took shotgun classes with them. I ditched them for use in Alaska, as I couldn’t imagine a use for that much extra ammo, in my wilderness setting. I did go with a subset of the micro rig, to mount on my belt with extra shotgun ammo.

Here some of my other kit for carrying shotgun ammo.

Out at our remote cabin, 100 miles from town, we try to keep a bit of spare gear around in case something breaks or we have guests. :D

StraitR
04-22-2018, 09:18 PM
Had a not so favorable experience with John at SOE about a decade ago. Basically told me and my buddy to piss off after we inquired about a paid in full order 8 weeks past it's estimated delivery date. Seems like my experience isn't that uncommon.
GJM I like that minimalistic approach a lot. Almost makes me want to dig my HSGI belt out of the closet and fit it up for woods walking.

GJM
04-22-2018, 09:25 PM
Had a not so favorable experience with John at SOE about a decade ago. Basically told me and my buddy to piss off after we inquired about a paid in full order 8 weeks past it's estimated delivery date. Seems like my experience isn't that uncommon.
GJM I like that minimalistic approach a lot. Almost makes me want to dig my HSGI belt out of the closet and fit it up for woods walking.

Since the battle belt is too bulky to fly with, most often when out in the field in AK, I just have my USP in a JM George, spare mag, and one of those shot shell cards with five extra Brenneke slugs in my front left or thigh pocket to feed the 14 inch Benelli.

HopetonBrown
04-22-2018, 09:33 PM
I've taken the SOE rig through classes with Awerbuck and Haught, and Haught wore one for part of the class.

S&J Hardware have an similar looking piece that looks like it might work well with GJMs type of set up.

https://sjhardware.com/collections/accessories/products/detachable-shotshell-carrier-pouch-mkiii
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180423/fde64368556742be56e5e50a3f424348.jpg

StraitR
04-22-2018, 09:57 PM
Since the battle belt is too bulky to fly with, most often when out in the field in AK, I just have my USP in a JM George, spare mag, and one of those shot shell cards with five extra Brenneke slugs in my front left or thigh pocket to feed the 14 inch Benelli.

My application will be hog hunting in dense brush. My initial thought was to stoke the Benelli (C3 w/ shell on the carrier/safety off, ready to rack, as you've described before) and stuff one (or two) of the Esstac 4 shot cards into a HPG kit bag. I wear a pistol OWB in a Phantom and use the kit bag for phone, admin, spare pistol mag, torch, multitool, IFAK + boo-boo kit, and cliff bars etc. You're spot on with the bulk of the battle belt. I originally shelved it because it had a tendency to ride up when running, climbing or squatting, at least on me.

HCM
04-22-2018, 11:33 PM

There are a lot more issues to John Willis of SOE gear than bad customer service.

He is a convicted felon x2 (sale of cocaine and felon in possession of firearms) and tight with James Yeager and the Tactical Response crowd.

Apparently a few years ago he refunded a customers money after they complained about lead time then posted a YouTube video of him burning the customers order.

Is that really who you want to do business with ?

Drang
04-23-2018, 01:45 AM
There are a lot more issues to John Willis of SOE gear than bad customer service.

He is a convicted felon x2 (sale of cocaine and felon in possession of firearms) and tight with James Yeager and the Tactical Response crowd.

Apparently a few years ago he refunded a customers money after they complained about lead time then posted a YouTube video of him burning the customers order.

Is that really who you want to do business with ?

He pleasures in mocking people who try to contact him and ask where the order he cashed the check for a year ago is, so saying that "customer service is not his thing" is an understatement.

He seems to be able to keep Brownell's in stock with these, so if you must have one, rather than build the equivalent from a "blank" MOLLE panel and some pouches, it's an option, but...
...If you buy from Brownells, you're still doing business with him, yes?

03RN
04-23-2018, 09:53 PM
Hmmm, I normally know the people/companies to avoid. I must have missed this one.

Most of my hunting is just done with a few extra shells in my strap vest or a couple slugs in my pocket. I'm thinking this might just be something fun to try.

LittleLebowski
04-24-2018, 06:51 AM
Hmmm, I normally know the people/companies to avoid. I must have missed this one.

Most of my hunting is just done with a few extra shells in my strap vest or a couple slugs in my pocket. I'm thinking this might just be something fun to try.

I'd avoid him, except if he made the exact product I wanted and it was in stock at a third party which is what you describe. Good post, bro.

Randy Harris
04-24-2018, 10:18 AM
I really like the idea of the micro rig. I had actually asked him about 8 years ago if he could make one with the pouch to hold the IFAK but instead of the shell loops have a double mag pouch to hold 2 Saiga 12ga 5 rd mags one in front of the other but he never responded............ I guess that's a "customer service not being his thing" kind of thing....

Chuck Whitlock
04-24-2018, 12:18 PM

A few years back (prior to hearing the negatives about Willis) I had my previous agency order SP bungie slings and 12 ga / M4 micros for vehicle bail-out bags from a stocking vendor (AGS).
I'm currently usung a BFG 10-speed 6-pack bandolier with AR mags. Not sure of a 12 ga solution yet.

03RN
04-24-2018, 06:38 PM
I'd avoid him, except if he made the exact product I wanted and it was in stock at a third party which is what you describe. Good post, bro.

I guess it matches my Springfields

Drang
04-24-2018, 06:53 PM
I'd avoid him, except if he made the exact product I wanted and it was in stock at a third party which is what you describe.
On further reflection, this is a good point: The issue with Willis, the only one I've heard, is that he makes a good product in his own time, and has no patience with people who gave him money but expect him to produce in good time.
I gotta admit, if he cashes my check I expect him to keep me posted about progress, especially if it's going to take a year plus for my order to move to the front of the queue.
But if he takes forever because he is supplying a retailer or two, and they have them in stock, why not order from them?

Although I confess I did a quick check, you can assemble a similar rig from parts, but it would probably cost more than Brownell's is charging.

03RN
04-27-2018, 06:49 PM
https://youtu.be/pOU69Dmniks

03RN
04-28-2018, 03:10 PM
:cool:

https://youtu.be/NbKMmV6K0y8

1slow
04-28-2018, 05:49 PM

Full agreement he F*cked me out of about $800 some years ago.

Dagga Boy
04-28-2018, 06:34 PM
Full agreement he F*cked me out of about $800 some years ago.

And likely bragged about and got a big laugh.

txdpd
04-28-2018, 07:39 PM
I had an SOE cop rig and the quality was superb. Outside of range I didn't have any real use for it and sold it off.

The new style HSGI cards actually work and they can be rigged up to work like an SOE pouch.

Chuck Whitlock
05-02-2018, 08:08 AM
I had an SOE cop rig and the quality was superb. Outside of range I didn't have any real use for it and sold it off.

The new style HSGI cards actually work and they can be rigged up to work like an SOE pouch.

I'd had a cop rig as well. The reason I opted to outfit with M4 + 12 ga. rigs instead was that I deduced that we would exit our vehicles with either the rifle or shotgun, but not both at once. Therefore, only 1/2 your ammo load was suitable for the weapon at hand.

txdpd
05-02-2018, 04:47 PM
Mine was set up to carry 36 shotgun shells. Good on the range, but outside of that, it was a lot of extra weight bulk for a fat kid with short arms to deal with.