PDA

View Full Version : Tactical downside to opened loading port?

ASH556
04-21-2018, 12:08 AM
Considering opening the loading port on my latest Benelli. I’ve done another in the past. Worked very well, no issues. On a weapon that is ammo limited and complicated to reload by design, I don’t see a downside to making it faster/smoother/easier.

Any thoughts from the shotgun masters (@Dagga Boy, Tom Givens, jlw, HCM)

This is the last one I did to illustrate the idea:

03RN
04-21-2018, 05:31 AM
I would hate to see something get jammed in that Gap that would not allow the shell lifter to raise.

Maybe weaken the receiver? IDK

I know gamers do that to help quad loading. I'm not sure such an aggressive opening is needed for loading one at a time.

I do plan on smoothing some edge on my Mossbergs one of these days.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here

HCM
04-21-2018, 11:20 AM
Unless you are doing something where getting dirt into the receiver is a concern, I would be curious about wear issues.

How does cutting through the Anodizing affect the strength of the receiver and how will it affect wear in that area ?

StraitR
04-21-2018, 12:23 PM
Depends on the application I guess. For 3-gun, perfect... social use, maybe not so perfect. I look forward to seeing the opinions of those you tagged. I think the ( threw off your @Dagga Boy (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=1336) tag

From everything I've read, there have been exactly ZERO instances of a civilian reloading their shotgun when deployed defensively. Clearly, one should know how to reload reliably and efficiently (which is why I chose the Metro load across the board for simplicity), but it seems that a shotgun purposely built for social use would fail to benefit from modifications to the loading gate. This is exacerbated if potential failure points or stoppages are introduced which would not have been possible without the modification.

Hambo
04-21-2018, 04:04 PM
I wouldn't do it, but only because the thought of grinding a Benelli receiver makes me queasy.

What's the purpose of this shotgun? Riding in a car? Sitting in the corner of the bedroom?

GJM
04-21-2018, 04:11 PM
I have two Benelli M2 14 inch shotguns that I use for bear defense in AK. One has the loading area opened up and one does not. The one that is opened up is only because the gun started as a Benelli custom shop 3 gun model, and they did the work.

As I envision using my 14 inch shotguns, my primary reload is my HK USP, and the next most likely scenario would be tossing one slug in the action with it locked open empty, where opening the action up would be irrelevant.

Dagga Boy
04-21-2018, 04:13 PM
My Benelli M2is a 3 Gun Model and with the big loading and ejection ports and an 18”Vent rib with chokes, I would be on it like a fat kid on cake.

ASH556
04-21-2018, 06:38 PM
For me the gun is mostly a sporting gun. Recreational sporting clays, 3gun (though not so much anymore due to time, but still enjoy it), hunting. Basically, if something requires a shotgun, this is what I grab. Not so much an HD role, although I consider most of my firearms to be defensive weapons at some point and so require that they be up to the task. karmapolice just borrowed it last month to run through a LEO instructor class. It’s definitely up to the task, just wondering specifically if the port mod has a downside. Not seeing it personally and sounds like DB agrees.

Here’s the gun:

jlw
04-23-2018, 02:34 PM
I have no experience with the modified ejection port, but remember, I'm also that the guy that refers to stippling as frame mutilation..

OlongJohnson
04-27-2018, 09:46 PM
I'd think the "gun mods" thread and previous one linked in it over in the Semi-Auto Pistol area would be relevant, if any social uses are contemplated.

BobLoblaw
04-28-2018, 04:12 PM
I'd think the "gun mods" thread and previous one linked in it over in the Semi-Auto Pistol area would be relevant, if any social uses are contemplated.

I don’t think that thread is very useful to this topic. Most of the advice was directed at trigger pull weight, sticking with OEM specs, and avoiding inflammatory decorations. This is no different than a permanent magwell. I’ve considered doing this with my 1301 as well since the gate has torn up my thumb, making subsequent loading not so fun.

jellydonut
04-28-2018, 05:14 PM
I'm not sure I like how exposed it leaves the lifter. The lifter is physically exposed to damage, dirt, and even snags, depending on just how much material is removed.

I feel like you're onto something with mag well funnels. A shotgun loading port funnel could do the job without having to remove any material (aside from fitment). I realize these already exist for IPSC shooters to load the tube with speedloaders, but I'm thinking of something less.. substantial.. than those funnels. Just a few millimeters of material to smooth-out the loading port.

Erick Gelhaus
04-28-2018, 10:18 PM
Unless that creates actual structural or reliability issues I would not be opposed to it. However, I'm not an engineer.

Considering it for the first time, having just read the idea, I am not envisioning a negative - again, absent structural or relibility issues - based on the OP's description.