PDA

View Full Version : Best Geissele trigger for serious use?

navyman8903
04-20-2018, 12:34 PM
I've heard about some light strikes with the some of the Geissele triggers. I'm looking to put one into my RECCE rifle build that will be a truck/travel gun that I will rely on if I need to. It's wearing a 1-4 P4Xi so I'd like to be able to touch off precise shots while also able to belt out some rounds if needed. I was looking at the SSA or Tricon. I was wondering if anyone had any mileage on these triggers and if they're solid enough to run in a self defense rifle.

SamuelBLong
04-20-2018, 12:38 PM
SSA, SSF and Super Tricon (pretty much an SSA with some tweaks) are all solid.

I use the SSA and SSF for my work guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schüler
04-20-2018, 12:41 PM
LMT or MBT 2 stage. ;-)

Clusterfrack
04-20-2018, 01:22 PM
I have two lowers with the SSA-E. One is on a suppressed LMT Mk-18 that's seen some hard use. The SSA-E has worked well, even when coated with suppressor crud, mud, and high desert volcanic dust. The other SSA-E is on my 3-gun lower, and it's been great also.

I also like the G2S. I have one in my home defense gun, that I also used in a carbine course. No issues.

My other game gun has a SD3G trigger that's seen a high round count. But I would not choose the SD3G for your application.

Beat Trash
04-20-2018, 02:08 PM
I use an SSA on my duty gun and on my training gun.

karmapolice
04-20-2018, 02:12 PM
I've run Geissele triggers for about 7 years now and have never had a light strike through tens of thousands rounds of different types of ammunition. I ran the SD-C for long while and then switched to the SD-E and that's what my work carbine, training carbine (copy of work), and house carbine all have in them. I have also run the SSA but that is it, I'd recommend the SSA, SSA-E, SD-C, or SD-E for any hard/duty use carbine with out hesitation.

critter
04-20-2018, 03:25 PM
I have SSA's on most of my AR's. No problems of any kind. I haven't tried the Super Tricon, but since it is essentially the SSA it should be good to go as well. My guess is that you'll love either one on the Recce.

Though you're not looking at getting one, the SSA-E is a just bit too light for my preference though no functional problems with it either. That pound does make a big difference.

secondstoryguy
04-20-2018, 05:29 PM
I use an SSA on my duty gun and on my training gun.

Same here.

JHC
04-20-2018, 05:36 PM
I've run Geissele triggers for about 7 years now and have never had a light strike through tens of thousands rounds of different types of ammunition. I ran the SD-C for long while and then switched to the SD-E and that's what my work carbine, training carbine (copy of work), and house carbine all have in them. I have also run the SSA but that is it, I'd recommend the SSA, SSA-E, SD-C, or SD-E for any hard/duty use carbine with out hesitation.

My son has a SD E in his Noveske carbine. I tease that it's a psychic trigger. He's gonna swap it for my SSA or SD C to get a little closer to his GI guns. I ain't arguing :D

Wake27
04-21-2018, 03:19 PM
The only light strikes I’m aware of from G triggers are due to improper install. I actually had the issue with a Super Tricon I got used, because one of the springs was on backwards. It still functioned about 90% of the time but finally I emailed them a pic. It wasn’t the common mistake with the legs of the springs installed wrong, but I guess the other guy pulled a spring off and flipped it around. G customer service figured it out ASAP and it never had another issue. All that being said, I wasn’t a huge fan of the Tricon. The hybrid bow makes sense, but I prefer straight bows without serrations. My current Noveske has an SD-E that works well, as does the SD-C in my wife’s BCM. I have another BCM with an SSA. All of my future triggers will likely be flat bowed SD-Cs with the exception of maybe one SSP.

StraitR
04-21-2018, 04:02 PM
I also chose the SSA.

That Guy
04-21-2018, 04:37 PM
Do any of the other Geissele triggers, aside from SSA have official clearance for duty use?

https://geissele.com/super-semi-automatic-trigger.html

The SSA is safety certified by Crane Naval Surface Warfare Center.

karmapolice
04-21-2018, 07:26 PM
Do any of the other Geissele triggers, aside from SSA have official clearance for duty use?

https://geissele.com/super-semi-automatic-trigger.html

The select fire version is approved for SOCOM use aka the SSF which is a select fire SSA. The other SSA/SSA-E and SD-C/E triggers are made to the same standards. The G2S are different in manufacturing/assembly but good, I wouldn’t say the SD-3g or some of the others for duty use but they are made out the same materials as the ssa etc.

navyman8903
04-22-2018, 03:10 AM
The select fire version is approved for SOCOM use aka the SSF which is a select fire SSA. The other SSA/SSA-E and SD-C/E triggers are made to the same standards. The G2S are different in manufacturing/assembly but good, I wouldn’t say the SD-3g or some of the others for duty use but they are made out the same materials as the ssa etc.

With that said, and I'm not asking for a stamp of approval or endorsement. But since the Tricon is an enhanced SSA, would it theoretically be good to go? That's the only trigger I've been able to dry fire so far and I really liked it. But if the only trigger for sure 100% is good to go is the SSA, then that's what my rifle is getting.

Beat Trash
04-22-2018, 08:53 AM
With that said, and I'm not asking for a stamp of approval or endorsement. But since the Tricon is an enhanced SSA, would it theoretically be good to go? That's the only trigger I've been able to dry fire so far and I really liked it. But if the only trigger for sure 100% is good to go is the SSA, then that's what my rifle is getting.

If I were you, I'd just get an SSA and be done with it.

I currently have SSA triggers in four rifles, to include my duty rifle. The other triggers may be GTO, but you know that the SSA is GTO.

NH Shooter
04-22-2018, 09:03 AM
I find the crisp but not-too-light pull of the SSA and it's wide acceptance for serious use as all the reason to stick with it for as long as I have.

FWIW, I've also tried the G2S and the BCM PNT - my sample of the G2S was not quite as consistent in break as the SSA and the PNT, while better than most, was still a little too heavy with noticeable (but not objectionable) creep.

For a SD carbine that might be used to make a precision shot, IMO the SSA is perfect.

SamuelBLong
04-22-2018, 09:12 AM

As I’ve said, The SSA and Tricon triggers are good, and both will serve you well.

If you like the shape of the Tricon trigger (curve / straight blend) vs the curved trigger of the SSA, go with it, cause that’s the big difference between the two.

Geometry, materials (except for the springs - they’re stainless in the Tricon), reset, pull weight, etc are the same as the SSA.

ASH556
04-22-2018, 12:19 PM
Loving disclaimer from an armorer: please if you have doubt about your trigger installation, have someone qualified check it out!

I recently had a very close friend bring me a lower where the FCG pins were walking. This is almost always an indication of mis-installed parts. In this case it was a Geissele G2S where whoever he got it from didn’t include the hammer clip spring so there was literally nothing keeping the hammer pin from walking. For those not familiar, the G2S saves money by leaving out the machining and installation for the J spring in the hammer. It has a pocket machined one one side that captures a clip spring that engages one of the outer grooves on the hammer pin rather than the center groove that is normally engaged by the J spring.

littlejerry
04-22-2018, 12:26 PM
I've been really happy with my G2S. The install isn't hard and the cost savings are worth it IMO. Haven't had a single problem with it. Weight feels appropriate for a GP rifle. SSA-E and the lighter "single" stage Geissele triggers are a bit too light for me.

critter
04-22-2018, 12:47 PM

"Enhanced" is rather ambiguous in this case as is naming it the "Super Tricon." As far as I am aware, the Tricon *is* an SSA with the only difference being the trigger bow. The operational feel will be slightly different, but functionally, it should be identical. It would probably have been better named SSA-RB for the ribbed bow. If you liked the feel of that particular trigger bow, there's no real reason to worry about it.

karmapolice
04-22-2018, 05:54 PM
The SSA and SSF are the only on3s to be submitted to get approval from my knowledge, they haven’t tested any of the others but that doesn’t mean they wouldn’t pass. The only difference between the SSA and SD-C is curved trigger vs flat face. Same with SSA-E and SD-E, I like flat face triggers and prefer the E but would be happy with a C if limited to it. If I couldn’t run Geissele’s I’d run a an ALG , if not that a stock GI trigger as I’ve seen other brands fail.

Wake27
04-23-2018, 03:11 AM

Any Geissele trigger would, in all honesty, probably be my absolute last concern on a rifle, assuming of course, it’s installed properly. Hell the one I had that was installed wrong functioned perfectly for about a year before the gun got dirty enough to make it start acting up. That’s kind of impressive.