PDA

View Full Version : Is there a be-all end-all Load Data manual

SC_Dave
04-19-2018, 07:00 PM
I use RMR bullets in 9mm 124gn FMJ RN and I'm having trouble finding data in Lyman 49 and Hornady 9. So, I'm looking for another manual and wondered if you guys new of a manual that had it all so to speak.

Jared
04-19-2018, 07:04 PM
Hodgdon publishes one in magazine form every year that I really like. Has Hodgdon, IMR, and Winchester powders in it. That one and the two you listed are my go to manuals

ranger
04-19-2018, 07:14 PM
I use the Hodgdon and Nosler on-line reloading data for most of my rifle and pistol loads.

Jim Watson
04-19-2018, 07:45 PM
RMR does not publish a Reloading manual for their bullets. I have not seen a manual that includes RMR bullets.
All that remains is to take somebody else's data for a 124 gr bullet and apply logic and caution. That is what the fine print about "starting loads" and "working up" is about. It is the difference between Reloading and Handloading.

Peally
04-19-2018, 07:48 PM
No not really. Find a safe load that's close-ish to what you have and work the load up, it's what everyone's gotta do.

If RMR bullets are like practically every other FMJ on the planet just find a FMJ 124 grain load and work from there. When I load Xtremes I don't bother looking for Xtreme specific load data, the powder type is more important IMO.

Mike C
04-19-2018, 07:53 PM
I use RMR bullets in 9mm 124gn FMJ RN and I'm having trouble finding data in Lyman 49 and Hornady 9. So, I'm looking for another manual and wondered if you guys new of a manual that had it all so to speak.

Last Chrono results with their stuff:

124gr RMR RN (Avg. weight 123.7 gr)
1.110” OAL
5.0 gr Unique (+/- .01)
1166 fps (10 shot string avg. 10' from chrono)
elev. 400'
78* F
SD not recorded
MV not recorded

ETA: All taken from a VP9.

BN
04-19-2018, 08:14 PM
http://handloads.com/

I use this cautiously.

deputyG23
04-23-2018, 08:27 AM
I use the online data from Alliant when loading handgun since I have standardized on BE-86 for nearly everything I load. 5.4 grains with a RMR plated flat point 124 grain bullet yielded an average of 1165 fps from a G2 G17.

Trooper224
04-23-2018, 03:50 PM
The most accurate load I've tried in the 9mm, as well as my current standard, is 5.9 grains of BE-86 under a 124 grain concave base FMJ.

willie
05-21-2018, 10:53 PM
Manuals are reference books. The student of reloading can't have too many. Reading and studying their narratives contributes to the hand loader's knowledge. Comparing data from one to the other provides insight. But you can get by with only one, and then there are published data on the net. I bought my first manual when a teenager--years before I bought the first equipment. I continue to study and learn new things frequently. Sometimes I find out information on this forum from guys who were born after I hit middle age.

mtnbkr
05-22-2018, 07:48 AM
Having multiple manuals is sound. I also like referencing the online resources of the various powder and bullet manufacturers. That tends to be more up-to-date than published manuals. Certain forums are good sources of into that may not be in manuals (especially for specialty loads like cast bullets or rare calibers).

A good book to get is Ken Waters' Pet Loads. It's a bit dated, but has lots of useful info.

Chris

GuanoLoco
05-22-2018, 08:24 AM
Get a starting load for any (1) 124gr (2) RMJ (3) RN and work up.

Learn with more forgiving powders, ones that aren’t on the fast side of the burn rate charts.

It’s important to have a chronograph and to learn to read pressure signs on primers if you are going to play at the upper end of loading - something I strongly recommend against, at least until you are a lot more experienced.

I work with 9mm pistol powders that don’t have great load data (e.g. cross-reference with powder “X”). Load workups work. You can/will definitely see pressure signs (primer flow, primer flattening) with max+ loads on pistol, particularly if you use soft primers, specifically Federals.