PDA

View Full Version : J Frame Grip Technique

JV_
02-09-2012, 05:21 AM
For a right handed shooter, where's the proper place for your strong hand thumb on a J Frame grip?

Is it acceptable to rest it on top of the cylinder release? If I curl it below, I get bitten during recoil.

Byron
02-09-2012, 07:49 AM
Here's a good one: J frame questions (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2795-J-frame-questions)

JV_
02-09-2012, 07:54 AM
Here's a good one: J frame questions (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2795-J-frame-questions)Thanks, I did see that. But, unless I'm missing something, it doesn't address my issue. A few posts suggest curling the thumb down, which is what I'm doing, and it's problematic.

JodyH
02-09-2012, 08:03 AM
Look for the Mickulek video on revolver shooting.
He demonstrates a j frame specific grip that works great.
It looks a lot like a novice pistol grip where their thumb gets whacked by the slide.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

JHC
02-09-2012, 08:10 AM
For me, it's weak hand thumb over the web of strong hand.

JV_
02-09-2012, 08:11 AM
Weak hand position is not the issue, it's strong hand (right) thumb position.

Byron
02-09-2012, 08:14 AM
Thanks, I did see that. But, unless I'm missing something, it doesn't address my issue. A few posts suggest curling the thumb down, which is what I'm doing, and it's problematic.
Sorry -- I should have figured you would have read that already.

When you shoot, does your strong thumb start with as much clearance as is shown in the Miculek link?
I.E. is your thumb in contact with the release before the shot breaks, and then gets rubbed? Or is your thumb clear of the release, but gets struck during recoil?

JV_
02-09-2012, 08:15 AM
When you shoot, does your strong thumb start with as much clearance as is shown in the Miculek link?I'm not sure on exact distances, but it's as curled down as far as it'll go.

Or is your thumb clear of the release, but gets struck during recoil?This.

JV_
02-09-2012, 08:29 AM
Interesting, a similar thread (found via Google):
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?1142-Cylinder-Release-Bite-Assistance

JHC
02-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Weak hand position is not the issue, it's strong hand (right) thumb position.

Oh sorry. Strong hand thumb curled down. And the tip of the strong hand thumb is actually tucked/trapped under the weak hand. Been doing it that way with revolvers for decades and it's worked very well. I sure hope a bonifide SME doesn't tell me now that's wrong. ;)

My hands have long fingers but are not thick bulky hands so this may factor into how naturally it works for me.

bdcheung
02-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Where is kle when you need him

joshs
02-09-2012, 12:11 PM
I use the same grip with revolvers and autos. My stronghand thumb is over my weakhand to avoid the cylinder release. It's the same position you have to put your thumb on Sigs to avoid the slide release.

JV_
02-09-2012, 12:25 PM
joshs - Thanks. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow.

SmokeJumper
02-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Same problem here as well on the little j-frames. I've gone to using a bit of duct tape on my thumb during extended shooting sessions or wearing one glove on the right hand. I got tired of the thumb getting chewed up, especially with an open wound in my work environment on any given day. I was still getting chewed up even holding my strong thumb down against the frame/grip as suggested after recoil. So the one glove seems to be the solution or now. Let me know if you come up with anything else.

JodyH
02-09-2012, 05:27 PM
This thread prompted me to get my J-frame out of the back of the safe, 5 minutes of dry fire reminded my why it was back there in the first place.

joshs
02-09-2012, 06:14 PM
This thread prompted me to get my J-frame out of the back of the safe, 5 minutes of dry fire reminded my why it was back there in the first place.

The Apex jframe kit and a quick polish of the rebound spring slide make for a pretty awesome trigger. Mine is very smooth and about 8 pounds.

Up1911Fan
02-09-2012, 08:43 PM
I use what Massad Ayoob I believe refers to as the jackhammer grip. Stronghand thumb curled ( tip pointing down), support hand thumb curled over it from the outside.

joshs
02-09-2012, 09:45 PM
This pic shows my strong hand thumb placement.

GJM
02-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Do most folks dehorn the bottom edge of the cylinder release? That is what I did to avoid getting bit.

Al T.
02-09-2012, 11:47 PM
George, smaller hands here. I do what JHC does.

03-01-2012, 11:28 AM
I preferred the handling of the J-frame over the LCR, but having owned an SP-101, the cylinder release is one area where the Ruger has it all over the Smith. I've came back from the range more than once bloodied. I'm going to gently file and smooth the edges of the release on my J.