PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Home Defense Light and Rail Combo

holmes168
04-17-2018, 12:57 PM
Setting up an AR as my primary home defense tool ASAP. I’m doing research but wanted to know what this group has found as the best rail/light combo.
The AR is a Colt- and I’m leaning towards Magpul M-Lock but would appreciate some more input. Also- any accessories I would need to purchase. I believe my best option would be a streamlight, but definitely need help.

I can do a better thread search when I’m not at work, as I’m sure there has been more than one discussion on this already. But sometimes the old threads could use some updating!

Thank you.

Crews
04-17-2018, 01:03 PM
Scout light mounted with an Arisaka inline mount on a 45* rail hole works fantastic for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trukinjp13
04-17-2018, 02:57 PM
Scout light mounted with an Arisaka inline mount on a 45* rail hole works fantastic for me.

Currently I have a mlok with arisaka offset light mount and a g2x light. Works good and is light weight. Clicky switch is okay but a dual tape switch is easier in my opinion to use after trying both extensively.

I am moving to a streamlight with the dual switch. Just need a offset scout mount. Really would like baby surefire, too much moola for me currently.

Basically what above poster said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180417/4b0b112061e8d958ac69372160558ec6.jpg

Beat Trash
04-17-2018, 05:16 PM
Setting up an AR as my primary home defense tool ASAP. I’m doing research but wanted to know what this group has found as the best rail/light combo.
The AR is a Colt- and I’m leaning towards Magpul M-Lock but would appreciate some more input. Also- any accessories I would need to purchase. I believe my best option would be a streamlight, but definitely need help.

What kind of Colt do you have? Does it have a fixed front sight post, or does it have a low profile gas block with a 13”-15” rail?

Depending on how your gun is set up depends on what options are available to you.

NH Shooter
04-17-2018, 05:37 PM
Plenty of very viable options, to the point of over load. For a light that will remain permanently attached I would roll with something as light and compact as possible, such as the Arisaka 600 Series (https://arisakadefense.com/collections/light-mounts/products/600-series-light).

I decided to go with a Vltor QD mount that allows me to quickly attach/detach any of my Malkoff or SF hand held lights. This results in more weight but a light doesn't live on the rifle, I only install it as needed. Below is a photo of a Malkoff Hound Dog 18650 (https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com/collections/large-malkoff-led-flashlights/products/malkoff-neutral-turnkey-hound-dog-18650) installed on my BCM;

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/wml-5.jpg

holmes168
04-17-2018, 05:50 PM
What kind of Colt do you have? Does it have a fixed front sight post, or does it have a low profile gas block with a 13”-15” rail?

Depending on how your gun is set up depends on what options are available to you.

LE6920- sorry guess that helps.

1Rangemaster
04-17-2018, 08:15 PM
I just started to set up a Colt for a family member-kept it simple.
Not as “sexy”, but Bill Rogers has designed the “Tri-Rail”, which is a bolt on piece of the hand guard. Maybe not heavy duty, but very economical and efficient; Holsterops.com.
I put that with a Streamlight dedicated light. One could go with a SUREFIRE(highest quality), or Inforce(which I don’t have a lot of experience with. Streamlight has a 2 battery version, and SUREFIRE the same.
Make your choice, pay the money.

Duckysattva
04-17-2018, 08:25 PM
Timely thread as I just decided to do the same and set up my rifle to be more home defense and low light capable.

Can't say that it's the best but it's an M Lok rail with a BCM 1 inch ring light mount. I looked hard at the Arisaka and Surefire scout lights but I had the P2X lying around and decided that it was more prudent to snag the mount for 40 bucks rather than 200+ for a new light. I also looked at the Arisaka ring mount but ended up going with the BCM as I was concerned that the scallops in the light body might lend to poor purchase by a single ring and decided that two points of contact would be more solid and likely hold up better to abuse.

Overall I'm pleased but I'm going to play around with placement and front sight clearance to support mounting at 10-11 o'clock on the rail to better fit natural hand/thumb placement for intuitive activation. The Arisaka inline mount looks to be more capable from a tuneability perspective and may be worth the price to experiment but for now this setup gives me more capability than I previously had to deal with darkness so I'm a happy camper.

theJanitor
04-17-2018, 08:38 PM
holmes168, I don't know what your home looks like or what kind of capability you need for that home, but here's MY 6920: Centurion rail that preserves the factory, pinned FSB, haley mount for the scout light, VFG, and an aimpoint. my sling is normally wrapped up tight with the shock cord so it's not flapping around

https://i.imgur.com/mYTNWrO.jpg?1

I do believe that for a "house" gun, the money should be spent on the red dot, and the light. Unless you need alot of accuracy, a magpul MOE handguard will do everything a bedroom-to-kitchen gun needs.

schüler
04-17-2018, 10:38 PM
IWC SMC and MLok mounts for G2X/P2X at 10:30 or so.

Clusterfrack
04-17-2018, 11:53 PM
Here’s my setup. 11.5” BCM lite fluted w/Keymod handguard and TLR-1 HL.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180418/8842fdb36bb61cdd7daed818da930956.jpg

Beat Trash
04-18-2018, 07:20 AM
LE6920- sorry guess that helps.

With the fixed front sight post of your Colt 6920, you can't use the same setup as many have posted as using on their rifle, unless you get a cutout rail like the Centurion rail shown below. These rails are nice, but they tend to be heavy and expensive.

I still own a Colt 6920, and have gifted each of my children and step-children a Colt 6920 to get them started in life. While the factory furniture is functional, I greatly prefer the feel of the MagPUl MOE-sl furniture on the 6920's. The MagPul MOE-sl hand guard also gives you the option of having M-LOK attachment points. All in a light and cost effective manner.

Depending on the light to be used, I've used two different methods to attach a white light with good results.

First is to get the MagPul polymer Cantilever Rail and attach it to the left side of the hand guard. The Inforce WMLX light works well in this position and it puts the light at about 9 O'Clock. If you use a VFG, this works really well. If you hold the gun in a beer can or C grip then you have to rotate the hand to the left to activate the light. The latest generation of the Inforce light, especially the WMLX is more sturdy than the original light and is a good option for a HD gun.

Another option is the SMCXL mount by IWC. This is a gooseneck type of mount that puts the light at around the 10-11 O'Clock position and forward so that the light is next to the front sight post. This works really well with a light such as the Surefire Scout series or the Streetlight copies of the scout lights.

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/smcxl-scout-light-mount-n-slot/

All of the Colt 6920's that I had gifted my kids were set up with MagPul MOE-sl furniture with a cantilever rail attached, a VCAS sling, an Inforce WMLX and a Trijicon MRO optic along with a fist full of PMAG's. This is what I consider to be a basic setup.

Crews
04-18-2018, 08:40 AM
Currently I have a mlok with arisaka offset light mount and a g2x light. Works good and is light weight. Clicky switch is okay but a dual tape switch is easier in my opinion to use after trying both extensively.

I am moving to a streamlight with the dual switch.

I am using the Streamlight scout light, smaller one. It’s not too bright for inside the house. It’s on an SBR with a 7” rail, so space is limited. At first I had it on right side with the supplied tape switch at 12 o’ clock. I just couldn’t get down with the remote switch, seems flimsy, prone to fail at the wrong time, and always got pushed inadvertently during travel. YMMV. Ended up moving it back to the left side, coupled with a stubby VFG. It’s a more natural angle for me to reach up and push the clicky tailcap with my thumb.

To the OP: nothing wrong with a FSB and a Magpul handguard. Plenty useable and affordable. If it’s a possibility, having a low pro gas block and a longer rail gives you better options IMO.

Below picture is pretty crappy, but might help. My rail ought to be similar in length to a carbine handguard.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180418/8d9e6da70355884fa8c47f03b711ab9a.jpg

Trukinjp13
04-18-2018, 09:00 AM
I am using the Streamlight scout light, smaller one. It’s not too bright for inside the house. It’s on an SBR with a 7” rail, so space is limited. At first I had it on right side with the supplied tape switch at 12 o’ clock. I just couldn’t get down with the remote switch, seems flimsy, prone to fail at the wrong time, and always got pushed inadvertently during travel. YMMV. Ended up moving it back to the left side, coupled with a stubby VFG. It’s a more natural angle for me to reach up and push the clicky tailcap with my thumb.

To the OP: nothing wrong with a FSB and a Magpul handguard. Plenty useable and affordable. If it’s a possibility, having a low pro gas block and a longer rail gives you better options IMO.

Below picture is pretty crappy, but might help. My rail ought to be similar in length to a carbine handguard.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180418/8d9e6da70355884fa8c47f03b711ab9a.jpg

Thank you for the info. I have only used one streamlight with tape switch. Put a lot of rounds through it. But that is only a sample of one. The surefire and the streamlight I used had the tape switch at the upper 45* on the left side of the gun with the lights on the right.

If the tape switch is sketchy I might as well just throw a upgraded g2x in my current mount.

holmes168
04-18-2018, 09:04 AM
The front sight post on the 6920 does present a problem with some rails, but guess I’m just an AR-15 originalist :).
My thought is to get a Surefire 600U and the arisaka inline mount for now. I want to upgrade my rails in the future. Seems like there are a million options to choose from. I like the BCM carbine rails but BCM on a Colt- just doesn’t seem right!

Greg
04-18-2018, 12:14 PM
I have to agree with Beat Trash - The IWC and MOE combo works well enough that I wonder why my latest Colt is sporting a Geissele mk 8.

StraitR
04-18-2018, 09:34 PM
Scout 600u in a Arisaka Inline.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4799/25840959317_bc1f7707cf_c.jpg

That Guy
04-21-2018, 10:13 AM
Unless you need alot of accuracy, a magpul MOE handguard will do everything a bedroom-to-kitchen gun needs.

Your statement sounds like you were implying there is some sort of accuracy issue with Magpul handguards at longer ranges. If so, I have to disagree with you. The 6920's we have shoot just fine out to 150 meters with the Magpul handguards that are on the guns.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk

MistWolf
04-21-2018, 01:49 PM
I've been using a Mossie Tactical Midnight Mount with a Surefire 300 for a few years and it's always worked great!
I believe Arisaka carries them now

Wake27
04-22-2018, 06:59 PM
Your statement sounds like you were implying there is some sort of accuracy issue with Magpul handguards at longer ranges. If so, I have to disagree with you. The 6920's we have shoot just fine out to 150 meters with the Magpul handguards that are on the guns.

150m isn’t really far. I think he’s referring to the fact that the barrel is not free floated with those hand guards and therefore, it will typically be a less accurate platform as it is more vulnerable to barrel flexing.

littlejerry
04-23-2018, 08:23 PM
150m isn’t really far. I think he’s referring to the fact that the barrel is not free floated with those hand guards and therefore, it will typically be a less accurate platform as it is more vulnerable to barrel flexing.

While it's true that a floated barrel wont have POI shift like a non FF setup, it's still an accurate platform. Especially shooting with irons or a red dot, it's adequate. I've shot out to 500 and 600 yards many times with a plane jane 20" A2 rifle with good success, even with a sling. Bipods are a different story though

Wake27
04-24-2018, 03:08 AM
While it's true that a floated barrel wont have POI shift like a non FF setup, it's still an accurate platform. Especially shooting with irons or a red dot, it's adequate. I've shot out to 500 and 600 yards many times with a plane jane 20" A2 rifle with good success, even with a sling. Bipods are a different story though

Agreed, which is why I said “less accurate” and not “inaccurate.”

That Guy
04-24-2018, 04:48 AM
150m isn’t really far.

It is when compared to the bedroom to kitchen distances mentioned in the post I replied to. :)

(I do agree it's not that much of a distance for a rifle. But until the local range completes its renovation that's the furthest distance available locally.)

Will_H
12-21-2018, 04:02 PM
I've been using a Mossie Tactical Midnight Mount with a Surefire 300 for a few years and it's always worked great!
I believe Arisaka carries them now

I have copied this style light attachment method on my carbine length AR, with Magpul MOE hand guard, F marked front sight post, Mossie FSB mount, and X300U 600 lumen model. I'm still trying to get comfortable with carbine handling, but i find my index and middle fingers get awfully close to slipping off the front of the hand guard and touching the FSB to reach the tail of the X300U for activation. I am thinking about getting a Magpul SL handguard to cover the bottom of the FSB like so (not my picture):

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2l94jf5.jpg

Any thoughts/experience with this? Should I just shut up and rotate my wrist more to reach the light?

MistWolf
12-21-2018, 04:20 PM
..I am thinking about getting a Magpul SL handguard to cover the bottom of the FSB...Any thoughts/experience with this? Should I just shut up and get the MagPul Slimline handguard?
Fixed it for ya!

All kidding aside, the Midnight Mount is better with the Magpul Slimline handguard.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-KVF2r4M/0/dfff8ce3/X4/i-KVF2r4M-X4.jpg

I think the Slimline is the best non-freefloat handguard out there, unless your rail estate needs are measured by the linear yard.

Will_H
12-21-2018, 04:28 PM
Great! I'm probably going to pick one up this weekend. As fashionable as bigger free floated hand guards are, I can't justify the cost to change over yet. I gotta prioritize more ammo buying!

MistWolf
12-21-2018, 05:34 PM
I've been running the Slimline handguard almost as soon as they became available. In all that time, I've never found myself wishing I had a free float handguard.

I have carbon fiber free float handguards, which I like very much, on two of my ARs. Those ARs are set up for precision shooting and are a different story.

NH Shooter
12-21-2018, 05:42 PM

Chuck Whitlock
12-22-2018, 10:09 PM
Fixed it for ya!

All kidding aside, the Midnight Mount is better with the Magpul Slimline handguard.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-KVF2r4M/0/dfff8ce3/X4/i-KVF2r4M-X4.jpg

I think the Slimline is the best non-freefloat handguard out there, unless your rail estate needs are measured by the linear yard.

I've been running the Slimline handguard almost as soon as they became available. In all that time, I've never found myself wishing I had a free float handguard.

I have carbon fiber free float handguards, which I like very much, on two of my ARs. Those ARs are set up for precision shooting and are a different story.

I'm running the original MOE carbine handguards.

Malamute
12-22-2018, 10:44 PM
A short piece of universal plastic rail from magpul, drilled and screwed to the ribbed handguard at about 10-11:00, spare weaver 1" ring on a Surefire G2 nitrolon light works pretty well for those of us on a budget. I think the rail piece was about $7 at the local dicks gun smut emporium, the ring I had in the parts box, and already had the nice yellow G2. It required a little file work on the light to get the ring around it, but not difficult.

Casual Friday
12-23-2018, 09:21 AM
If you still have the ribbed handguards, these mount n slot 1" light mounts from IWC with a Surefire 6P is a pretty good setup.

https://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/tmc-1-light-mount-n-slot/