PDA

View Full Version : Don't want to be next to this guy!

Glenn E. Meyer
04-13-2018, 12:25 PM
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/04/12/double-negligent-discharges/

Wow!

What can be said?

RevolverRob
04-13-2018, 12:39 PM
What can be said?

Avoiding shooting at indoor ranges if at all possible.

Ichiban
04-13-2018, 03:26 PM
It would have been poetic justice if he had pulled a Tex Grebner.

Clusterfrack
04-13-2018, 03:37 PM
Man, I hate seeing things like that. Definitely one reason I don't like shooting at indoor ranges with shared lanes.

I know I've posted these stories before... but they seem relevant here...

Gangbanger’s girlfriend
When I visit a buddy in California, there isn’t a lot of options for shooting. A convenient, but sketchy location is an indoor facility called Targetmasters West. In the evening, the clientele is typically wannabe gangbangers and their chicks. One time, in the lane next to me and my buddy, a guy was there with a girl in 4” heels and super tight jeans. He had given her a big .40 Beretta, and was standing behind her looking at her ass. The girl had obviously never shot a gun before, and was very nervous. Just as I was about to intervene, she closed her eyes and fired. Then she danced and squealed “I shot it! I shot it!”, and turned--sweeping me and my buddy--and stopped with her finger on the trigger and the gun pointed straight at her guy. I couldn’t help thinking, “please… pull the trigger” ;-)

Is it loaded?
This next incident was the last time I’ve been to Targetmasters because it’s just too scary. In two lanes to my left was a large group of older Chinese guys. One guy went to the back of the bays and took a Glock 26 out of a bag (obviously violating safety rules). Since he was pointing the gun in our direction (with finger in the trigger guard), I walked over and calmly put my hand on top of the slide and pointed it downrange. I asked him if the gun was loaded, but his English wasn’t very good. He didn’t like me grabbing his gun, and for some reason, he kept trying to point the gun at me. We ended up having a little grappling match while he was yelling at me in Chinese and his friends were trying to get in on the action. We ended with his gun pinned to the bench. After he finally let go, I discovered that gun was loaded and chambered. We left and informed the ROs (who never seem to pay attention to what’s going on in the bays).

I shot the roof
Another story from an indoor range: Cletus and Billybob were in a lane to my left. They had one of those monster S&W revolvers for killing bears or Godzilla. It was so loud that I gave up trying to shoot and just watched them. After a couple of shots, Cletus was so twitchy that he was visibly shaking. He touched one off prematurely, and a ton of ceiling tile and dust rained down.
Cletus: “FUCK! I shot the roof…”
Billybob: “You idjut. They charge you like $20 every time you do that”
Cletus, looking up at the hundreds of holes in the ceiling: “Huh. They sure must make a lot of money that way.”

MGW
04-14-2018, 12:12 AM
There has been more than one suicide at indoor ranges in my area. I can’t help but think about the commitment level. Fill out the paperwork, watch the video, pick out the rental gun, buy the ammo, walk to the lane...

All I know is I would be extra pissed if I was in the next lane close to finally cleaning TDA dot torture at five yards. Does that make me shallow?

Totem Polar
04-14-2018, 11:11 AM
I’ve got to say, I just don’t get the hot brass dance. I’ve had my own 9mm—and other’s .40 brass—land in seemingly impossible fashion right on the bridge of my glasses (not terribly fun), and I’ve had all sorts of stuff go down my collar over the years. At no time did I ever feel like waving my gat around in response. Of course, I don’t put my car in a highway ditch over bees flying in the window and getting in one last grudge sting before quasi-juicing on my neck, nor do I throw a spatula in the air when bacon grease pops and puts a mini-torture mark on my arm, cartel-style. I’m not a tough, hardened guy either, having led a relatively soft work life.

I just don’t get it.

Jaywalker
04-14-2018, 01:07 PM
Outlaw hooded sweatshirts.

Robinson
04-14-2018, 02:48 PM
I’ve got to say, I just don’t get the hot brass dance. I’ve had my own 9mm—and other’s .40 brass—land in seemingly impossible fashion right on the bridge of my glasses (not terribly fun), and I’ve had all sorts of stuff go down my collar over the years. At no time did I ever feel like waving my gat around in response. Of course, I don’t put my car in a highway ditch over bees flying in the window and getting in one last grudge sting before quasi-juicing on my neck, nor do I throw a spatula in the air when bacon grease pops and puts a mini-torture mark on my arm, cartel-style. I’m not a tough, hardened guy either, having led a relatively soft work life.

I just don’t get it.

Same here. It can burn a little. So what?

Bigghoss
04-14-2018, 03:36 PM
Man, I hate seeing things like that. Definitely one reason I don't like shooting at indoor ranges with shared lanes.

I know I've posted these stories before... but they seem relevant here...

Gangbanger’s girlfriend
When I visit a buddy in California, there isn’t a lot of options for shooting. A convenient, but sketchy location is an indoor facility called Targetmasters West. In the evening, the clientele is typically wannabe gangbangers and their chicks. One time, in the lane next to me and my buddy, a guy was there with a girl in 4” heels and super tight jeans. He had given her a big .40 Beretta, and was standing behind her looking at her ass. The girl had obviously never shot a gun before, and was very nervous. Just as I was about to intervene, she closed her eyes and fired. Then she danced and squealed “I shot it! I shot it!”, and turned--sweeping me and my buddy--and stopped with her finger on the trigger and the gun pointed straight at her guy. I couldn’t help thinking, “please… pull the trigger” ;-)

One time a buddy and I were out shooting with his (then) girlfriend (now wife) and her/our other friend, we'll call her E. E had never held or fired a gun before so I was about to grab my 10/22 for her when my buddy slaps his 9mm in her hand and points her down range. She shoots one round and turns around, flagging everybody, and asks if she hit it. After explaining to her why that was not good form I explained to my buddy why handing a newb a 9mm and pointing at the target was not good form.

Clusterfrack
04-14-2018, 03:40 PM
Same here. It can burn a little. So what?

Yeah. I have a Harry Potter lightning bolt scar from a 5.56 case that got wedged between my glasses and my forehead. I could smell the skin burning but for some reason decided to finish the drill.

Drang
04-14-2018, 10:53 PM
I’ve got to say, I just don’t get the hot brass dance. I’ve had my own 9mm—and other’s .40 brass—land in seemingly impossible fashion right on the bridge of my glasses (not terribly fun), and I’ve had all sorts of stuff go down my collar over the years.
At MAG40 I had some hot brass from the guy next to me go down the back of my neck, and into my skivvies.
I did the hot brass dance, but somehow managed not to flag anyone.

Clusterfrack
04-14-2018, 11:01 PM
At Project Appleseed, my 13 yr old daughter wore low rise jeans despite my advice. She got brass down the back of her pants but still scored Sharpshooter. Tough girl.

Glenn E. Meyer
04-15-2018, 11:47 AM
At a recent match a young lady was wearing a ball cap backwards as was her BF. I told her you should turn it around. Why she asked - do keep casings out of your eyes! She got it and reversed. Thanked me later. BF didn't turn his - monkey dominance, pseudo-gang member posing by white guys.

Here' a hot casing story. Years ago I went to a indoor range demo in WA state. We were at an Academic gun issues conference and the 2nd Amend. foundation arranged for us to shoot guns as many did not have any experience. I did, well of course. But we just go eyes and ears. One gun that they had there was a 1911 pattern 50 AE. We could shoot it if we wanted. I passed as I had just broken my wrist. Anyway, a guy was shooting in his lane. The empty bounced off the side and whacked me right in forehand. A hot 50 AE casing is heavy and raised a bump. Ouch.

JohnO
04-15-2018, 12:20 PM

Could have been a Double Grebner!

JohnO
04-15-2018, 12:22 PM

Could have been a Double Grebner!

Bigghoss
04-16-2018, 08:39 AM
#BrassHappens (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=BrassHappens)

Bucky
04-17-2018, 05:19 AM
People treat guns like incidental items.

A few weeks ago, I was at my buddy’s store / range. Guy takes his compact 1911 out of his bag, sweeps everyone behind the counter, and hands it to me muzzle first, saying “it’s not loaded”. I immediately face the gun in a safe direction to check it, and jack a live round out of it. UHG.

45dotACP
04-17-2018, 10:38 AM

A few weeks ago, I was at my buddy’s store / range. Guy takes his compact 1911 out of his bag, sweeps everyone behind the counter, and hands it to me muzzle first, saying “it’s not loaded”. I immediately face the gun in a safe direction to check it, and jack a live round out of it. UHG.Guy at my local range was walking around with his LCR and wound up having the muzzle directly covering me.

Must have been my expression because when he looked me in the eyes he belted out a quick Midwestern "Ope, I'm so sorry" and quickly went back to his range stall before I could tell him he was a fucking idiot.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Clusterfrack
04-17-2018, 11:20 AM

A few weeks ago, I was at my buddy’s store / range. Guy takes his compact 1911 out of his bag, sweeps everyone behind the counter, and hands it to me muzzle first, saying “it’s not loaded”. I immediately face the gun in a safe direction to check it, and jack a live round out of it. UHG.

You pegged it. Incidental. Not like life safety equipment or like a deadly weapon, but like a toy or a baseball glove.

Glenn E. Meyer
04-17-2018, 03:36 PM
At the range, a guy with a Glock 22 stuck out of battery walks up to us (I guess we look 'expert) with the gun in his hand, pointing forward to act what's up with his gun.

At the range, son is shooting his rifle with good ol' Dad (Silver Alert territory). A cease fire is called so we can hike out the 200 yards to change targets. Dad keeps shooting. He is chasitzed but insists that he knows what he is doing so he is safe to continue shooting. At the next time out, Dad keeps shooting. Son has to wrassle the gun away from him and shove him squawking into the drug.

JRB
04-17-2018, 03:49 PM
At the range, a guy with a Glock 22 stuck out of battery walks up to us (I guess we look 'expert) with the gun in his hand, pointing forward to act what's up with his gun.

At the range, son is shooting his rifle with good ol' Dad (Silver Alert territory). A cease fire is called so we can hike out the 200 yards to change targets. Dad keeps shooting. He is chasitzed but insists that he knows what he is doing so he is safe to continue shooting. At the next time out, Dad keeps shooting. Son has to wrassle the gun away from him and shove him squawking into the drug.

Years ago (like 50's and 60's) it was commonplace on military ranges to have Soldiers still shooting targets in one lane while other Soldiers were changing out their targets in other lanes. Perhaps that was part of the issue, depending on that gentleman's age.

But a lot of handling and safety practices have developed since those days. Many are overbearing (CLEARING BARRELS! ALL THE CLEARING BARRELS!) but the rest are pretty damn sensible, really.

Glenn E. Meyer
04-17-2018, 03:57 PM
Having seen people shoot cross range by incompetent accident, I'll pass. We were at a match and some dude at the rifle range, shot across lanes, hit something which came back and penetrated a guy on the line. Police, etc. Shooter tried to sneak away and was stopped for the law's arrival.

At the same range, the match berms have a reasonable separation from the lanes with Donald Deerhunter shooting his five rounds. We hear a whistle and a guy get a crack on his skull from a round. It didn't penetrate but left quite a lump. I thought the guy should go to the ER because, you could have hairline fracture and bleeding in your dome. But the guy was a soldier from one of the local bases and didn't want to go. So nothing was done. A few minutes later, we heard another whistle and a round hit the corrugated metal roof over the bench tables. It was investigated to see what the idiot was shooting at to cause the ricochet.

RevolverRob
04-17-2018, 04:16 PM
Several years ago I got kicked out of an indoor range. For violating range rules. Two lanes down from me was a young'ish guy shooting an XD with a buddy and his girlfriend. I hear some shots and then a bunch of noise (I was double-plugged) I step back and glance over at all the noise and see the gun pointing in my direction. It's quickly corrected, before I say anything.

I go back to shooting. And suddenly feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn around the buddy is standing there. I ask him what's up, "Are you shooting a revolver? I want to shoot a revolver!" I glance over at the GP100 in my hand and polite inform the guy that the rental counter has revolvers for rent. :rolleyes: He gets affronted, like I'm supposed to let him do whatever he wants. But he goes back to the guy and his girl.

I'm reloading and I hear the girl shouting, "What happened?"

And I look over and there she is holding the XD, pointing it right at me with her finger on the trigger. Boyfriend grabs it from her and starts finger fucking it, still pointing it at me. At this point, I yell, "Hey get the muzzle downrange!"

And the buddy says, "Something is wrong!"

At which point I walk over - and calmly push the muzzle of the gun in boyfriend's hand down range. And that's when everyone starts yelling. The RO finally comes to see the ruckus and asks me to leave, "You can't just put your hands on someone else's gun!"

Last time I visited Red's Indoor Range in Austin, Texas.

gringop
04-17-2018, 10:22 PM
Last time I visited Red's Indoor Range in Austin, Texas.

The North one in Pflugerville used to be good when it was Cooks Sure Shot Range. Tuesday night was Steel Night with man on man double elimination match. First to clear the table wins and moves up. We had people driving down from Waco to shoot. I still have a crapload of trophies from there in my closet. Then we'd go out to eat at the Italian place down the road. Good times.

Then Cooks sold it to Reds, the yearly membership cost was bumped up a couple of hundred dollars, and Tuesday Night Steel faded into the past and was lost to time...like tears in the rain.

Damn that was fun stuff.

Gringop

JohnO
04-17-2018, 10:56 PM
At which point I walk over - and calmly push the muzzle of the gun in boyfriend's hand down range. And that's when everyone starts yelling. The RO finally comes to see the ruckus and asks me to leave, "You can't just put your hands on someone else's gun!"

Sounds like the boyfriend was lucky he didn’t end up needing the expertise of a Board Certified Proctologist!

Sensei
04-17-2018, 11:12 PM
I only use the indoor range that is 5 min from my house during off hours. As soon as I see novices arrived the lanes start to fill, I pack-up my shit and go home. Mostly, I hate using the indoor range for anything other than sight confirmation and function checking a new gun. They are often a waste of ammo for any real training. Moreover, this thread reaffirms my belief that most indoor public ranges are simply not safe.

gringop
04-18-2018, 12:54 AM
And my brain is gone, it was the Tuesday Night PIN match not Tuesday Night Steel.

Gringop (eh, I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time)

Let me know if you want to hear more about 1911s with 4 lbs weights, comps and red-dot sights, winning real prize money at pin matches, pin shooting with DE 44mag using "godzilla loads", SW1917 Brazilian revolvers with curved front sights and DE 50AEs that win the "send the pins the furthest down the range" award but never the match. And also, Stromboli, Calzone and other Italian delights offered in the heart of the Mediterranean gastronomic center of Central Texas, Pflugerville.

Gringop

Stephanie B
04-18-2018, 07:45 AM
I only use the indoor range that is 5 min from my house during off hours. As soon as I see novices arrived the lanes start to fill, I pack-up my shit and go home.

I'm a member of an indoor range. I try to also time my shooting when the place is largely empty. They have big signs that announce, in black and red lettering, that rifles are only to be shot with the targets at 25 yards. Some nimrod was banging away at a silhouette (the kind with a colored edge and white shape) with an AR at seven yards. I banged my hand on the window to get the RO/salesclerk's attention and pointed at the guy. The RO came in and squared the guy away. When I came off the range, the RO thanked me and remarked that the guy said he didn't see the very large sign (which was ten feet from his lane).

I can use a club range, but there's no ROs. I've been there when a cease-fire was called and some {deleted} at the other end of the range looses off a few rounds because he thinks it's safe. Had the same thing happen at a Forest Service public range, too.

People who live where they can shoot in safety on their own property are very fortunate.

Glenn E. Meyer
04-18-2018, 08:30 AM
I've been to Red's. My daughter and I shot there, when she lived in Austin/Pflugerville. She commented on some of the less than impressive behaviors of some patrons.