PDA

View Full Version : My new J frame grips

Holmes375
04-12-2018, 03:15 PM
I love the little 642 but large hands, +P 158s and little boot grips don't always get on well together. Decided to try something that was kind of in between a full 3 finger grip and the usual boot grips. Started with an Altamont Bateleur set in a walnut lam with no texture. Out of the box they have a highly buffed and polished finish that shows off the grain nicely. Prominent finger grips and thumb rest. A full grip is afforded but concealment is compromised and the thumb rest bothers me when shooting off side. So....

I minimized the finger ridges, reduced the butt by about .25", reduced the thumb rest, softened the upper back strap edges, rounded the butt and refinished them with tung oil and beeswax.

Fits my standard issue men's large mitts and strikes a middle ground between shooter control and concealment. Quite like 'em.

NPV
04-12-2018, 03:32 PM
Wanna send me a set for "testing" ;)

OlongJohnson
04-12-2018, 06:39 PM
I wish more companies would make grips specific for the Centennial that go all the way up the back strap.

rainman
04-12-2018, 06:49 PM
Very nicely done!

-Rainman

Duelist
04-12-2018, 07:53 PM
I wish more companies would make grips specific for the Centennial that go all the way up the back strap.

I wish S&W would!

Sherman A. House DDS
04-12-2018, 08:10 PM
I like those stocks. I don’t own any Altamonts and I think I better remedy that!

civiliandefender.com

OlongJohnson
04-12-2018, 08:21 PM

This is the only one I know. The cushion is nice, but it's kinda long and I'm not a fan of finger grooves. Plus, pulling a giant eraser out of your pocket in a hurry might get slow.

https://www.hogueinc.com/s-w-j-frame-round-butt-centennial-polymer-bodyguard-rubber-tamer-grip-black

rathos
04-12-2018, 08:30 PM
Seems like they would slip around in the hand. Had a pair of altamonts for my cobra and even with the pattern on it it slide around like a bar of soap in recoil. Do yours move around?

mmc45414
04-12-2018, 09:00 PM
I don’t own any Altamonts and I think I better remedy that!
I have several and think they are a smoking deal. I have several sets of the ALTAI, including the ones on Dad's M-60:
(I probably should clean it up...). I bought a second set for a 637 I plan to setup as kind of a twin. I also have a set I bought for my 2" 64, but I didn't like them on it so much, but they ended up being perfect on my 4" 617.

Holmes375
04-12-2018, 09:23 PM
Seems like they would slip around in the hand. Had a pair of altamonts for my cobra and even with the pattern on it it slide around like a bar of soap in recoil. Do yours move around?

I have that trouble with the factory finish. Altamont uses a white compound buff followed by a light oil finish and buffed again. Looks very nice and really lets the layers jump out visually.

I finish most of my grips/stocks with a 320 dry or 400 g wet sadnpaper - leaves a light fine tooth to the surface. Followed this with a couple applications of pure tung oil (not the stuff you find in the big box stores which have only a bit of tung oil in them.) More coats will be glossier but that's not what we're after. Two coats penetrates and protects. The finish is smooth and silky. Its also gets less slippery when wet with sweat or fighting fluids. I like to rub in some pure beeswax a few days after the tung oil is completely dry. It gives even more traction when wet and feels like a nice dressed custom axe handle. They're smooth and silky but not slippery.

Holmes375
04-12-2018, 09:24 PM
Very nicely done!

-Rainman

Thank ya, sir.

Holmes375
04-12-2018, 09:30 PM
Wanna send me a set for "testing" ;)

Ha! Only the one set, so far. I'm ordering a couple more to fix up for my other little shooters.

I've only had these to the range once but I sure liked how they worked, especially with the hotter stuff. The extra material at the higher part of the back strap gives me a nice consistent position on the trigger for double action work.

Holmes375
04-12-2018, 09:32 PM
I have several and think they are a smoking deal. I have several sets of the ALTAI, including the ones on Dad's M-60:
(I probably should clean it up...). I bought a second set for a 637 I plan to setup as kind of a twin. I also have a set I bought for my 2" 64, but I didn't like them on it so much, but they ended up being perfect on my 4" 617.

That looks right nice.

Holmes375
04-12-2018, 09:41 PM
This is what the grips look like from the factory (image courtesy Altamont Company):

Tung oil and beeswax result in a much darker finish than the light oil the company uses. If you want to keep the factory finish but improve traction a bit, lightly dress the finish with fine steel wool. You'll lose the glossy finish but you won't affect the color and the surface will be less "slickery".

A couple of notes: the palm swell of the Altamonts are approximately 1/8" wider than the factory boot grips and this set added .8 oz to the gun weight.

Sherman A. House DDS
04-12-2018, 10:26 PM

Do those Altai’s give you three fingers on the grip? IE do they support your pinky finger?

civiliandefender.com

UNK
04-13-2018, 12:12 AM
Do those Altai’s give you three fingers on the grip? IE do they support your pinky finger?

civiliandefender.com

If you are asking about the stock grips yes they do. I have xxl hands and I have the same grips. I pocket carry them no problem however I am planning on cutting mine tomorrow quite possibly even with the bottom of the frame. I find at the range I like the three finger grip much more but I find the blackstrap to be too narrow. A set of Herretts are in the future I have the order form filled out and the check written but I want to experiment with these before I place the order. One note is the grip screws on mine keep coming loose and unless the screw is really tight they move. Clear finger nail polish will keep the screw in place and if you buy on the company website they will send free screws if you loose yours.

mmc45414
04-13-2018, 07:18 AM

If you are asking about the stock grips yes they do. I have xxl hands and I have the same grips.
I was planning to reply "yes" but after taking the picture I might say "sorta". I am probably a smaller mammal than you two, but here is my grip:

But I think they are great. Not sure how much better I shoot, but I think they enhance the speed of the presentation. Even though I rarely pocket carry, part of the rationalization of getting the 637 (as if I am rational about any of this...) was to keep pocket-able boot grips on my 638 with the 637 being setup for elastic waistband carry.

Might also be worth pointing out, their grips that are the plain configurations (no checkering or medallions) are only $40. After seeing what Holmes did I might go right now and get the Bateleur for my 340.

They also have one they call Combat that is a nicer variation on the banana idea and they are only $35.

Sherman A. House DDS
06-27-2018, 08:21 PM
This is what the grips look like from the factory (image courtesy Altamont Company):

Tung oil and beeswax result in a much darker finish than the light oil the company uses. If you want to keep the factory finish but improve traction a bit, lightly dress the finish with fine steel wool. You'll lose the glossy finish but you won't affect the color and the surface will be less "slickery".

A couple of notes: the palm swell of the Altamonts are approximately 1/8" wider than the factory boot grips and this set added .8 oz to the gun weight.

Thanks for the bump! The problem with reading/posting before bed is that I’m never quite sure if I’m remembering correctly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holmes375
06-27-2018, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the bump! The problem with reading/posting before bed is that I’m never quite sure if I’m remembering correctly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most welcome. Half the time when I participate late at night I forget to hit the "post" button and then wonder where the hell my post went the next morning ;) My internet skills are not highly developed!

Wheeler
06-28-2018, 05:44 PM
I was planning to reply "yes" but after taking the picture I might say "sorta". I am probably a smaller mammal than you two, but here is my grip:

But I think they are great. Not sure how much better I shoot, but I think they enhance the speed of the presentation. Even though I rarely pocket carry, part of the rationalization of getting the 637 (as if I am rational about any of this...) was to keep pocket-able boot grips on my 638 with the 637 being setup for elastic waistband carry.

Might also be worth pointing out, their grips that are the plain configurations (no checkering or medallions) are only $40. After seeing what Holmes did I might go right now and get the Bateleur for my 340.

They also have one they call Combat that is a nicer variation on the banana idea and they are only $35.

Best thing to do is run a standardized drill with a timer. Run it a few times with the various grips and check your data. You might be surprised at the results.

mmc45414
06-28-2018, 06:00 PM
Best thing to do is run a standardized drill with a timer. Run it a few times with the various grips and check your data. You might be surprised at the results.
Yup, for the last couple of months I have been wrapping up with some revolver shooting at the end of our weekly session, just to maintain competence and to exercise my fun little guns. The 637 had been undergoing surgery for a XS sight, I have been working on it myself and have stalled on the project since the weather got nice and there is yard work to do. I am finding it interesting to compare different grips and sights.

TheNewbie
06-29-2018, 09:18 PM

Wish they still made 637s without locks. Looked on gunbroker for one and didn't see one.

Mike Pipes
07-01-2018, 06:39 PM

Not a jframe but close enough for government work. Stipple VZs. They feel excellent.....CYA Retro

Holmes375
07-01-2018, 08:55 PM

Not a jframe but close enough for government work. Stipple VZs. They feel excellent.....CYA Retro

Very cool. Stipple them yourself?

Mike Pipes
07-02-2018, 05:13 AM
No Holmes,new design by VZ. CYA Retro