PDA

View Full Version : NRA Instructor Certification VS Anything else...

BaiHu
02-08-2012, 11:19 AM
I found that starting with NRA classes was very helpful to instill simple and safe shooting practices. After taking classes outside of the NRA, I realize that there is very little tactical training (yes, there is some) being taught beyond things like PPOH (personal protection out of home) for CCW holders, but I'm in NJ, so it's a waste. In short, there is almost no bridge b/w range shooting and IDPA/IPSC or general defensive gun handling skills-to my knowledge.

So here are my questions:

1) As a potential/future budding instructor, do you think it is worth getting NRA certs? Especially given that I have no Mil/LEO experience.

2) If you have gotten NRA certs, what were they and what other certs/classes/experiences did you feel best filled out your knowledge base in order to start a successful teaching practice?

Thanks

Wendell
02-08-2012, 11:03 PM
Becoming an Instructor (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2682-Becoming-an-Instructor)
<http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2682-Becoming-an-Instructor>

BaiHu
02-08-2012, 11:57 PM
Becoming an Instructor (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2682-Becoming-an-Instructor)
<http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2682-Becoming-an-Instructor>

Ya know I saw that thread and when it got started it wasn't going where I thought my questions would be answered and I totally forgot to check back in-thanks and sorry for the double post.

Mods can remove this if you'd like.

Mr_White
02-09-2012, 01:15 PM
So here are my questions:

1) As a potential/future budding instructor, do you think it is worth getting NRA certs? Especially given that I have no Mil/LEO experience.

2) If you have gotten NRA certs, what were they and what other certs/classes/experiences did you feel best filled out your knowledge base in order to start a successful teaching practice?

BaiHu,

If you want to teach pistol, I would strongly recommend the NRA certs, especially if you are not able to be certified as a 'firearms instructor' by an LE agency.

Ironically, the NRA certs are the easiest to get and entail the least expertise (in comparison to the other instructor training I've undertaken) but are the most widely recognized in society in general, other than being an 'LE certified firearms instructor', whatever the exact term and whatever that means in NJ.

I do not mean the NRA certs are bad or not worthwhile, just that what's entailed in them is incongruent with the level of recognition they enjoy.

I have the NRA Basic Instructor Training, and Pistol Instructor certifications, which, in Oregon, allow me to teach a CHL class, and also were important in me being able to actually be an instructor at the two schools I teach/taught at.

As far as actually preparing me to teach the pistol as far as I do, the NRA certs were more of a formality, but weren't bad from the standpoint of better understanding how to teach. I don't, and never have, taught any of the NRA curriculum.

The most fundamental preparation was as a serious student of defensive pistolcraft, then practicing that material. I took hundreds and hundreds of hours of excellent pistol and firearms training, then practiced and continue to practice it a lot (I'm guessing thousands of hours), and the understanding gained there is fundamental to my ability to teach it now.

A week long firearms instructor development course was very helpful, as was another similar two day course. Those were at schools in Oregon. If I were anywhere near him, Tom Givens/Rangemaster is probably where I would go. Though I have not trained with him, his reputation, abilities, and the consistently excellent feedback I hear would send me in his direction.

In preparation to teach use-of-force issues, I sought out the LFI Judicious Use of Deadly Force Instructor class, which is also a week long class. I wanted a certification and training specific to responsibly teaching use of force issues if I was going to deal with those issues in class at all. Those issues are typically part and parcel of 'defensive pistol training.' That training was excellent. At the time, before Force Science Research Center came along and offered their certification, it was the only course I located anywhere, open to civilians, that purported to train a person to train others to responsibly use deadly force, and potentially function as an expert witness in the legal defense of persons involved in self-defense incidents.

I've since considered attending the Force Science Certification course, but money is tighter now and the expense is a big issue, plus based on what Marty Hayes mentioned in the other thread, I am doubtful they would let me in since I am a not a sworn LEO.

In a way, your general question is almost like the self-defense question, "how good is good enough?" Of course, there is no limit to the level of knowledge, skill, and ability you should seek if you are going to teach other people how to fight for their lives with a pistol. We all can only do what we can do. Make sure you are doing everything that you can do.

And, as a fellow non-going-in-harms-way-for-a-living person, I strongly suggest that you vet your ideas and material on an ongoing basis with those who have gone in harms way to be sure that you don't come up with some really wacky crap. I believe it is incredibly important in defensive firearms training to adopt a very conservative approach to incorporating new ideas that you or others have. People have paid with a lot of blood to know what we know now. I don't at all mean that one should not innovate; simply that new ideas must be rigorously tested and vetted before being adopted wholesale, because it could be your students who bleed or die, go to prison or get sued into financial ruin if you teach them badly or teach them bad TTPs. If you keep the gravity of the material and subject matter in mind and do everything you can to make sure your material is solid and you teach it well, I think you and your students will be in good shape.

rsa-otc
02-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Jay Cunningham is hosting a Range Master 3 day Instructor Developmental class in April. I don't know if there are still openings or if it fits in your schedule but it's close in the Pittsburgh area.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2476-Rangemaster-Instructor-Development-amp-Cert-Course-April-20-22-Beaver-Falls-PA

BaiHu
02-09-2012, 11:58 PM
Origami,

I really appreciate your input and I'm doing my best to do my own due diligence on all the matters you have put forth.

rsa-otc,

I have been in contact and I would like to take some courses with Jay personally, but timing and distance aren't working in our favor currently.

Thanks guys.

Jay Cunningham
02-10-2012, 12:06 AM
Jay Cunningham is hosting a Range Master 3 day Instructor Developmental class in April. I don't know if there are still openings or if it fits in your schedule but it's close in the Pittsburgh area.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2476-Rangemaster-Instructor-Development-amp-Cert-Course-April-20-22-Beaver-Falls-PA

My club has a very active NRA program teaching Basic Pistol and PPIH. I am an NRA RSO, Pistol Instructor and PPIH Instructor. Hopefully I get my PPOH Instructor cert this year. The NRA materiel is actually pretty good, but it all depends on the instructor(s) presenting it.

And yes, I'm hosting Tom Givens for a Pistol Instructor class and yes there are open slots!