PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive multipurpose bolt action rifle build; input requested

Nephrology
04-08-2018, 02:04 PM
So, I've talked about building a bolt action rifle for years, but adult finances kept getting in the way, largely of the curveball variety. I've spent a year or two pricing out the .308 build that I want, and having thought about it very carefully I've resigned myself to it being just south of a $3000 purchase.

I'll get there, but in light of a few recent developments, I've decided it might be sensible for me to start with something cheaper in an intermediate caliber that would just get my hands on a rifle to learn the basics of marksmanship with. I should note that while I do have a lot of experience with handguns, I've never really warmed to rifles and, at present, own exactly zero of my own. I live in a state with a 15rd mag ban, so the appeal of ARs is slightly diminished given the difficulty of acquiring "real" magazines.

It's also worth mentioning that I now live with my girlfriend who owns her (departed) father's Winchester Model 70 in .30-06 and has expressed interest in learning to hunt. She is very crunchy-organic-yada yada but also has 0 qualms with guns, and as someone who's always been looking for a reason to learn to hunt, this seems like a great pursuit to encourage and, most importantly, a reason to finally buy a rifle.

So: the gun. In order of priority, I want it to be capable of doing the following:

1. Platform for developing very basic marksmanship skills at intermediate distances (200yd and under)
2. Conceivably use for hunting deer (i.e. >.24cal/6mm in CO) though I accept that if I get serious about hunting I'll end up buying a rifle with more reach.
3. A rifle useful for social purposes, of course, is never undesirable

With those goals in mind, I want a rifle with the following qualities, also in order of priority:

1. Reliable, durable, built of components backed by good CS
2. Relatively inexpensive (Under $1k for complete rifle, not including glass)
3. Enjoyable to shoot
4. Inexpensive to shoot

Here is what I have envisioned so far:

Ruger American Ranch in either 7.62x39 or .300BLK (see questions below) - ~$400-450 out the door
Magpul Hunter Stock - $275-300
Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6x24 (Reticle undecided) - $650-700
Timney Trigger - ~$120
Sling

That puts the rifle at $825; with glass, ~$1500.

So, on to my questions:

1. Is there anything that is missing here? I am considering a bipod, but if that might violate the esprit of the rifle and probably would add a lot to my end price if I went with my first choice (atlas)

2. How do we feel about aftermarket bolt handles/shrouds/etc?

3. Are there other base rifles I should be looking at? I considered the CZ527 but the ruger American seemed more versatile and had a more accessible aftermarket.

4. Any other suggestions for glass? I am looking for something illuminated, 1-6ish variable power, of good quality/clarity but ultimately something in this price range ish. I considered the Burris XTR series, too, but open to other ideas.

5. Finally, caliber. I like the idea of 7.62x39 because it is inexpensive and seems like it will still take deer within 200yd (Hornady makes 123gr SSTs that supposedly do well out of these guns). However, .300BLK is the new hotness and might be a better choice ballistically, but I know really zilch about rifles so I might be wrong here too. .300BLK would also open up my magazine options quite a bit too... 7.62x39 limits me to ruger Mini 30 mags, as far as I can tell. Not sure how copacetic that will be with the magpul hunter stock.

Also, for those who are curious, here is my evolving idea for a .308....

Tikka T3x CTR .308 Win
Burris XTR II 5-25x50mm illuminated mil-dot FFP (or the bushnell DMR 2)
KRG Bravo Chassis
Badger Ordnance; Improved 6-9" Harris bipod

schüler
04-08-2018, 02:56 PM
To budget learn with, I'd recommend a .223 Ruger Predator + SWFA 10x for the range. Easy recoil, beats the hell out of factory 7.62x39 ammo options, decent marksmanship stock options and you already have an '06 available if you need to hunt tomorrow or feel the need for a "real" hunting/legal rifle. Easy to sell if/when you move to a high power rifle.

Upgrade to T3x .223 Varmint if you want to stay around 1k, learn on the same CTR bolt throw with low recoil and still get the KRG Bravo ;-)

If you really want to learn wind/dope affordably go .22LR to 200y (if you have a range that allows rimfire at that distance). There's the Ruger Precision Rimfire and newer T1x MPR.

pangloss
04-08-2018, 03:10 PM
I've been thinking over this same topic for a couple of years now. The Ruger American and a Magpul stock definitely strikes me as one if the top options. Ideally, my rifle would have iron sights too, so the Savage Hog Hunter had some appeal. I would lean towards 6.5 Cred or 7.62x51 over the x39, but cheap ammo for the x39 is certainly attractive. A good friend has a 527, and he's been very pleased with it. You might also check out the Howa mini actions, which I believe are available in x39.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

jandbj
04-08-2018, 03:19 PM
Ruger American in 7.62x39 , 5.56 (both ranch models), or .308 (predator aics)...
Use the factory stock, add a good sling and a Leupold 1-4x20, under $700 starter package.

Or since you have access to a good hunting rig already, just get a Ruger American rimfire with the laminate stock and the same sling & Leupold scope, and 5000 rounds of ammo for the same price. :D

Had a lot of time on other rifles through the years but wanted a do all bolt gun myself... I went with a synthetic stocked Ruger GSR .308 and shot irons while saving for an optic. Now it’s zeroed with a Burris 2.75, a red dot, and irons.
Love this rig.

TGS
04-08-2018, 03:53 PM
Nothing in your desirables/requirements would make me think you should get a bolt action.

A lever action looks like it fits the listed qualities better.

OlongJohnson
04-08-2018, 04:01 PM
Brownell's has a crazy clearance deal on the Howa Mini lightweight barreled action in 7.62x39 right now. Had to talk myself out of that. Howas don't need Timney triggers. You can configure your stock from Boyd's. Then you'd have a lightweight, compact rifle that can easily take deer and that the GF might enjoy shooting a bit more than the -06. It's about $450 all up, the way I was looking at it.

For basic short-range marksmanship and stalking critters, Leupold is very popular, in the VX-3 and up. Below that line, you're paying for the name. The Leupolds are lightweight and compact, with good glass and excellent customer service. Where they tend to fall down is in dialing knobs, but you don't need that at the ranges you're talking about.

Even more versatile would be a Tikka T3 or T3x in .223 or .308. Lightweight, stock that gets the job done, excellent trigger, excellent accuracy. T3x comes with a metal bolt shroud. It's the easy answer. Many people report a satisfactory load development process of going to the range and zeroing it with some old rounds they had sitting on the shelf. Throw a Leupold 2.5-8x32 on it and go shoot stuff. If you get the .308, you can always start the new hobby of hand loading and create light loads that would duplicate the 7.62x39, but you also have a lot more headroom to go to longer ranges, as the case holds ~50 percent more powder.

Tikka is now chambering in 6.5CM, which would also be a nice junior partner to your aspirational build. Magazines would be shared. Trigger should be the same. It's a meaningful step down from the -06 in recoil. Suitable for coyotes to long range and short to mid range deer.

I'm in the camp that doesn't care for .300BLK. It doesn't have the ballistic sauce of the bigger cases, but there are only maybe a couple bullets (recently introduced and very expensive) with good terminal performance at subsonic speeds. It's a beautiful solution for someone who wants to shoot an AR suppressed and isn't allowed to use expanding bullets for whatever reason, but outside that tiny box, I don't see it ever being the best answer. There are also a lot of people who are far more knowledgeable than me and opine that it tends to have poor accuracy.

Note that the way I talked myself out of the Howa Mini was realizing that I'd rather have another Marlin 1894 in .357. It likely won't have the accuracy of a Howa or Tikka, but it's useful at short range ~150yds and in and for social events.

Nephrology
04-08-2018, 04:05 PM
Nothing in your desirables/requirements would make me think you should get a bolt action.

Any models in particular that you'd recommend instead? I am not opposed to a levergun if it would be a better choice.

To budget learn with, I'd recommend a .223 Ruger Predator + SWFA 10x for the range. Easy recoil, beats the hell out of factory 7.62x39 ammo options, decent marksmanship stock options and you already have an '06 available if you need to hunt tomorrow or feel the need for a "real" hunting/legal rifle. Easy to sell if/when you move to a high power rifle.

Upgrade to T3x .223 Varmint if you want to stay around 1k, learn on the same CTR bolt throw with low recoil and still get the KRG Bravo ;-)

If you really want to learn wind/dope affordably go .22LR to 200y (if you have a range that allows rimfire at that distance). There's the Ruger Precision Rimfire and newer T1x MPR.

Only reason I was leaning away from the .223 was that I ended up going right to the T3x too, and then I have a very expensive (but fun) rifle that I still can't hunt with :P

You’re overthinking it.

A Tikka T3x Lite will do everything you described, plus it’s about a pound lighter than the CTR. There’s no need to upgrade the stock, and it won’t need trigger work or aftermarket stuff. The CTR is meant for sniping and long-range competition, but a hunter may grow tired of humping the extra weight.

I’d add a Leupold or NF 3-9 and go shooting. A 1x low end is nice on a carbine but a 3x low end is no handicap—I’ve been shooting blacktails at pistol distances with a fixed 4x for 20 years and never missed a chance because I had too much glass on the gun. Even a fixed 4x is a solid choice if money is an issue.

Not sure that you need a chassis unless you need to fold the stock to move through urban areas without drawing undue attention, but it might be a nice upgrade in the future.

The 7.62x39 and 300 Blackout are similar with 125-ish grain bullets—fine for deer but not for elk, which I mention because you live in some of the world’s finest elk country. Some 7.62x39 rifle bores are .308” and some are 0.311”, so you can have problems finding factory ammo that matches your bore. Not sure that this is a safety issue, but it can wreak havoc on accuracy and POI. The 300 Blackout was designed to run heavy subsonic bullets through the suppressed AR platform, but it’s OK on deer with lighter bullets. Ammo availability can be an issue, as you may only be able to find subsonic ammo for suppressed use, which has a limited range and can have a dramatically different POI than supersonic ammo. Although these two cartridges are becoming more common, neither is as common as the 308, 30-06, or 270 Winchester, all of which will drop anything in North America cleanly. Also, you can find good ammo for those three almost anywhere. They’d be my first choices, with a bunch of other stuff between them and either the 7.62x39 or the 300 Blackout.

I think Lost River first said that the Tikka T3 in 308 is the G19 of long guns. Check out his posts on the subject. They cover pretty much everything you need to know.

Okie John

There is definitely a solid argument for just going with the Tikka T3x in .308 and being done with it... I was envisioning the .308 CTR build as being purely for fun/long range shooting, with this lighter rifle for plinking/hunting. .308 recoil isn't terrible, but ammo is pricier and I would be less inclined to spend all day at the range with it vs a 7.62x39

okie john
04-08-2018, 04:05 PM
You’re overthinking it.

A Tikka T3x Lite will do everything you described, plus it’s about a pound lighter than the CTR. There’s no need to upgrade the stock, and it won’t need trigger work or aftermarket stuff. The CTR is meant for sniping and long-range competition, but a hunter may grow tired of humping the extra weight.

I’d add a Leupold or NF 3-9 and go shooting. A 1x low end is nice on a carbine but a 3x low end is no handicap—I’ve been shooting blacktails at pistol distances with a fixed 4x for 20 years and never missed a chance because I had too much glass on the gun. Even a fixed 4x is a solid choice if money is an issue.

Not sure that you need a chassis unless you need to fold the stock to move through urban areas without drawing undue attention, but it might be a nice upgrade in the future.

The 7.62x39 and 300 Blackout are similar with 125-ish grain bullets—fine for deer but not for elk, which I mention because you live in some of the world’s finest elk country. Some 7.62x39 rifle bores are .308” and some are 0.311”, so you can have problems finding factory ammo that matches your bore. Not sure that this is a safety issue, but it can wreak havoc on accuracy and POI. The 300 Blackout was designed to run heavy subsonic bullets through the suppressed AR platform, but it’s OK on deer with lighter bullets. Ammo availability can be an issue, as you may only be able to find subsonic ammo for suppressed use, which has a limited range and can have a dramatically different POI than supersonic ammo. Although these two cartridges are becoming more common, neither is as common as the 308, 30-06, or 270 Winchester, all of which will drop anything in North America cleanly. Also, you can find good ammo for those three almost anywhere. They’d be my first choices, with a bunch of other stuff between them and either the 7.62x39 or the 300 Blackout.

I think Lost River first said that the Tikka T3 in 308 is the G19 of long guns. Check out his posts on the subject. They cover pretty much everything you need to know.

Okie John

Bigghoss
04-08-2018, 04:23 PM
The Marlin 336 is the go-to answer for a lever gun if .30-30 works for you. Henry long ranger or Browning BLR if you want to shoot spitzer bullets.

Nephrology
04-08-2018, 04:31 PM
The Marlin 336 is the go-to answer for a lever gun if .30-30 works for you. Henry long ranger or Browning BLR if you want to shoot spitzer bullets.

How well made are new marlins?

Crews
04-08-2018, 04:39 PM
Another vote for a Tikka T3X in 308 or 6.5 Creed if they make them. Slap one piece base on, and a Nightforce SHV in a set of Seekins rings and call it a day.

There are prefit barrels and nice chassis systems to upgrade to down the road, all nice but none necessary for what you’re trying to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HCM
04-08-2018, 04:45 PM
My recommendations would be either a Tikka in .308 or 6.5 creedmoor or a Ruger American Predator in the same calibers. Preferable one of the newer Rugers which take Magpul AI Pattern magazines.

The merits of the Tikka are well documented on PF.

The Ruger American is a great value. It's two weak points are the stock and the magazine. Ruger has addressed the magazine issue and there is an increasing aftermarket for the Ruger Americans including a Magpul stock which should be coming out this month.

The 308 and 6.5 are much more versatile "do it all" cartridges than 7.62 x39 or .223 even though they are cheaper to shoot.

I have a CZ 527 in 7.62x39. It's a neat gun but it's a niche item (short range carbine) in the same way a lever action 30-30 is a niche item. Such carbines are great hunting guns in woods or thick brush but are not really suited to hunting in open areas with longer shots like Colorado.

Both the Tikka CTR and the Ruger American Predator are light enough to serve as GP bolt guns and to be shot off hand.

Bigghoss
04-08-2018, 04:46 PM
How well made are new marlins?

The new ones should be fine. There were some teething issues when Remington took over in 2007 but they should be good now. Everyone talks about the JM stamped guns that were pre Remington but my 2006 model is no heirloom piece for sure. The Marlin owners message board would have more info. Or there's the Winchester 94. I don't have any experience with those.

Nephrology
04-08-2018, 04:56 PM
My recommendations would be either a Tikka in .308 or 6.5 creedmoor or a Ruger American Predator in the same calibers. Preferable one of the newer Rugers which take Magpul AI Pattern magazines.

The merits of the Tikka are well documented on PF.

The Ruger American is a great value. It's two weak points are the stock and the magazine. Ruger has addressed the magazine issue and there is an increasing aftermarket for the Ruger Americans including a Magpul stock which should be coming out this month.

The 308 and 6.5 are much more versatile "do it all" cartridges than 7.62 x39 or .223 even though they are cheaper to shoot.

I have a CZ 527 in 7.62x39. It's a neat gun but it's a niche item (short range carbine) in the same way a lever action 30-30 is a niche item. Such carbines are great hunting guns in woods or thick brush but are not really suited to hunting in open areas with longer shots like Colorado.

Both the Tikka CTR and the Ruger American Predator are light enough to serve as GP bolt guns and to be shot off hand.

Between the Tikka CTR and the American Predator in the Magpul Stock + Timney, which would you lean towards?

It's tempting to go with the CTR, rings and glass, the $1400 I have priced out for the Ruger american, stock, timney, rings and a SWFA SS 3-9 FFP is certainly within budget... the CTR seems like it is the better build product, however.

whomever
04-08-2018, 05:58 PM
1)When I hear '...learn marksmanship' I have kind of a knee jerk response of 'buy a 22', like maybe a Ruger American Rimfire. Even if you reload and your time is free, any centerfire is going to cost 50 cents a round or so[1]. By the time you shoot a couple of bricks of 22 you've paid for the rimfire trainer.

2)I have one of the new AR mag Ruger Americans. Mine happens to be in 300BLK. The new stock is actually OK (they changed the reinforcing in the fore end). Unlike my original RAR in 223, I'm not going to change the stock. The trigger is fine, IMHO. Both of mine shoot just over an inch (10 shot groups off bags) with minimal load development. Pairing one with any reasonable scope (SWFA works) is a lot of rifle for the money. The 3 lug bolt makes for a fast, smooth action.

IMHO, they are like Honda Civics. You can pay a lot more for not much functional improvement.

I'm not really a fan of the original rotary magazines. Either the AR or AICS versions are a step up, IMHO. Getting better mags is actually most of the reason I'm replacing the stock on the older one.

[1]OK, you can do it cheaper if you get wheel weights for free and cast your own...

ranger
04-08-2018, 06:07 PM
Tikka T3X in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Leupold scope with the CDS elevation knob and spend the rest of the money of ammo. Lots of ammo choices for 6.5 CM from "cheap" practice ammo to "great" practice ammo plus lots of hunting ammo choices.

HCM
04-08-2018, 06:17 PM
Between the Tikka CTR and the American Predator in the Magpul Stock + Timney, which would you lean towards?

It's tempting to go with the CTR, rings and glass, the $1400 I have priced out for the Ruger american, stock, timney, rings and a SWFA SS 3-9 FFP is certainly within budget... the CTR seems like it is the better build product, however.

Likely the Tikka but a CTR is 2x the cost of an American Predator. The non CTR Tikkas are a bit more comparable price wise. My understanding is the Ruger Precision Rifle is basically a Ruger American action.

My LGS has the old style Ruger American predators in 6.5 Creedmoor for $379. The new style with the AI/Magpul mag is $470. You could beat the price at a new style at a big box store like Cabelas. My LGS has a Tikka T3 CTR used for $799. A new T3X CTR is likely $900-$1,000. The Tikka is nice but that money could go also into better / illuminated glass.

The trigger on the Ruger American is adjustable and can be adjusted within factory specs to 2 1/2 or 3 lbs I believe. It's not bad. The Timeny is more a want than a need.

Speaking of Cabelas, check out Mr.Guns'ngears facebook page. He has links to a online deal for Cabelas gift cards at 20% off face value.

schüler
04-08-2018, 06:25 PM
Only reason I was leaning away from the .223 was that I ended up going right to the T3x too, and then I have a very expensive (but fun) rifle that I still can't hunt with :P

Even with the plastic stock the CTR will shoot just fine at 200y for your training use. It's only a few pounds more than a traditional hunter (esp if you go with the 20" bbl) and the budget leaves some money for stock pack, sling, bipod if you wish. However that KRG will be calling!

I would NOT recommend a 308 hunting weight rifle (T3x Lite) for bolt gun training. I did most of my bolt gun learning on a ~6.5lb Savage 16FSS. Punishing but I was poor(er) and F4 ball was cheap.

Hence the .22LR or .223 for affordable practice like a lot of long range guys do. You will burn the same number of rounds at a cheaper price without fighting flinch. A full power rifle will then expose further technique weaknesses. Think of the .223 as a rental, you'll get most of your money back if you decide to sell for an upgrade.

Robinson
04-08-2018, 06:40 PM
Maybe a little more money than you plan to spend, but I'm pretty happy with my Remington Micro 7 300 BLK. CDI bottom metal with 10-round magazine, a definite improvement as the original internal magazine was somewhat awkward to load. AccuPower 1-4 LPV, SilencerCo Omega suppressor. I've since installed somewhat higher scope rings.

Nephrology
04-08-2018, 06:49 PM
Even with the plastic stock the CTR will shoot just fine at 200y for your training use. It's only a few pounds more than a traditional hunter (esp if you go with the 20" bbl) and the budget leaves some money for stock pack, sling, bipod if you wish. However that KRG will be calling!

I would NOT recommend a 308 hunting weight rifle (T3x Lite) for bolt gun training. I did most of my bolt gun learning on a ~6.5lb Savage 16FSS. Punishing but I was poor(er) and F4 ball was cheap.

Hence the .22LR or .223 for affordable practice like a lot of long range guys do. You will burn the same number of rounds at a cheaper price without fighting flinch. A full power rifle will then expose further technique weaknesses. Think of the .223 as a rental, you'll get most of your money back if you decide to sell for an upgrade.

If the CTR will do basically everything I want out of the box, maybe it makes most sense to start there - a muzzle brake will probably also go a long way with .308. That said, you do make a persuasive argument for the .223...

Duelist
04-08-2018, 07:26 PM
I would get a .22 or a .223 for what you are talking about. .22 is so much less money, even buying bricks of $80 standard velocity match ammo, and you learn a ton about doping wind with it, even just pushing it to 100 yards. .223 is less than any other centerfire to shoot, and you can reach out to 1000 yards with the right rig and ammo. Plus it gives you a coyote killing rifle with next to no recoil that just about anybody can shoot and feel accomplished with in a short period of time.

I don't have a lot of money in my current bolt rifles: a Savage MKII heavy target barrel .22 and a Savage 11 .243. Both need better stocks. I'm auditioning a new scope on the .243 right now to play longer range and coyote hunting with, but I bet I'm back to my lighter, more compact Burris 3-9 by the time deer season comes back around. I'll either keep the PA 4-14 FFP mil dot as a second scope for swapping over when I want to do those things, put it on a new dedicated long range rig, or pop it on the .22 and get something higher end later.

I like Savage, but if I were doing this again, or getting the .270 or 6.5CM I'm thinking about, I'd be leaning toward a Weatherby Vanguard or Howa 1500. Don't need a new trigger, can live with the stock (especially on the Weatherby).

Bigghoss
04-08-2018, 07:31 PM
1)When I hear '...learn marksmanship' I have kind of a knee jerk response of 'buy a 22', like maybe a Ruger American Rimfire. Even if you reload and your time is free, any centerfire is going to cost 50 cents a round or so[1]. By the time you shoot a couple of bricks of 22 you've paid for the rimfire trainer.

Good point. I bought a Savage MK II TR for this purpose. These days I would look at a Ruger Precision Rimfire or a CZ Tacticool.

Nephrology
04-08-2018, 07:43 PM
A rimfire trainer is not a bad idea at all, particularly given that it will probably end up costing about as much as the glass I'd like for a .308...

Duelist
04-08-2018, 07:45 PM
Good point. I bought a Savage MK II TR for this purpose. These days I would look at a Ruger Precision Rimfire or a CZ Tacticool.

The TR is basically my MKII bull barrel in a much better stock.

45dotACP
04-08-2018, 08:19 PM
Tikka T3 lite, in .308 with a Vortex viper 1-6.

I'd hold back on the Magpul stock or timney trigger in favor of the .22 caliber trainer.

Get slings for both. Get to an Appleseed class.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Bigghoss
04-08-2018, 08:20 PM
The TR is basically my MKII bull barrel in a much better stock.

Yup. Does the bull barrel have the oversized bolt knob?

Malamute
04-08-2018, 08:32 PM
The new ones should be fine. There were some teething issues when Remington took over in 2007 but they should be good now. Everyone talks about the JM stamped guns that were pre Remington but my 2006 model is no heirloom piece for sure. The Marlin owners message board would have more info. Or there's the Winchester 94. I don't have any experience with those.

I lean to the Winchester 94 for several reasons. There are tons of clean angle eject 94s on gunbroker that can be had in the $400 range. My preference would be an early angle eject, a pre-crossbolt safety and non tang safety gun, both of which may not matter to the next guy. Many Ive handled have been some of the smoothest 94s Ive seen. A set of Leupold bases and low rings, decent low power variable or 3 or 4 power, and go.

Ive had and seen many Marlins, but dont seem to run into many i want to own or keep. i dont seem to run into many Winchesters I want to sell, and I seem to want them all.

Bigghoss
04-08-2018, 08:37 PM
Off topic but I saw a Winchester 94 in .44 mag at Specialty Sports in Colorado Springs last week. That was tempting.

Malamute
04-08-2018, 09:02 PM
I have no personal experience with the pistol caliber Winchester 94s, but have seen many mixed reports on their reliability, though that may be primarily 357s. They are quite reliable in the 30-30 class of cartridges. I got a grin from a late 50s/eary 60s NRA loading manuals comments about the 94s, they commented "...virtually indestructible in service..." which seems to be a fair representation of the majority of them if not dry fired.

schüler
04-08-2018, 09:13 PM
If the CTR will do basically everything I want out of the box, maybe it makes most sense to start there - a muzzle brake will probably also go a long way with .308. That said, you do make a persuasive argument for the .223...

A few more comments and I'll shut up.

For .223s there are of course the Ruger options and the ~$550 T3x Lite .223 (22") and Compact (shorter LOP and 20" bbl). The Ruger should have a good twist rate and I believe the T3x version has finally standardized their 223s at 1:8. Watch out for older T3 .223s as they had both 1:8, 1:12 and I believe one intermediate twist as well.

Making yourself start with a good .22 or .223 will put added pressure on achieving technique and equipment setup/use in all positions so you make the most of your future rifle. Bench shooting is for the dogs - none of this makes much sense unless you have a range you can practice positions off the bench. Heck, you may say the positional shooting is for the dogs and go a different direction!

Highly recommend good snap caps for dry fire especially with rimfire. I like the Carlson 22 or you can use shot cases or even the small size plastic drywall anchors about .22LR size.

On glass... I think the SWFA 10x beats the pants off the cheap 1-6 and 1-8 with better resolution, eye relief and no possibility of focus difference between min/max magnification. Parallax adjustment is a bonus too for your future whiz bang CTR KRG acronymicus maximus.

Good luck! Hope you find an enjoyable combo.

Duelist
04-08-2018, 09:44 PM
Yup. Does the bull barrel have the oversized bolt knob?

Nope, but it'll probably get one after it gets a better stock.

HCM
04-08-2018, 09:46 PM
Tikka T3 lite, in .308 with a Vortex viper 1-6.

I'd hold back on the Magpul stock or timney trigger in favor of the .22 caliber trainer.

Get slings for both. Get to an Appleseed class.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Did you mean the Viper PST II 1-6 ? It’s decent but a 1-8 or a compact 2.5-10 might be more appropriate.

A Magpul stock and Timeny trigger would be for a Ruger American, a Tikka wouldn’t need either. Of course the Ruger is half the initial cost so it’s likely a wash in terms of cost.

The T3 Lite (or T3X Lite since the T3 is out of production) is not what I would want for high volume shooting in .308. You could trim the barrel back and thread it for a break, or later a suppressor. If starting from scratch why not go 6.5 instead of .308 ? 6.5 would also be a bit more pleasant to shoot without a break.

rob_s
04-09-2018, 05:40 AM

I agree with the first sentence.

However, also to the second...
An AR in .300wtf looks like it fits the listed qualities better.

schüler
04-09-2018, 11:41 AM
I agree with the first sentence.

However, also to the second...
An AR in .300wtf looks like it fits the listed qualities better.Looks like his ultimate goal is a precision rifle.

Neph, clarification - the SWFA fixed 10x is a training recommendation.

The XTRs and T5Xi are notorious for CA and poor edge to edge clarity. I'd rather have a DMR II for the money. The DMR II Pro with HD glass should be released soon.

Nephrology
04-09-2018, 01:10 PM
Looks like his ultimate goal is a precision rifle.

Neph, clarification - the SWFA fixed 10x is a training recommendation.

The XTRs and T5Xi are notorious for CA and poor edge to edge clarity. I'd rather have a DMR II for the money. The DMR II Pro with HD glass should be released soon.

Thanks - this is good advice. I do like the price point of the SWFA....

texag
04-09-2018, 03:34 PM
Seems like a tikka t3x lite or superlite in 6.5 creedmoor would fit the bill, add a SWFA 3-9 on top and you'd have an economical, quality setup that should meet your hunting needs for many years to come. You could buy the same in .308 or another suitable cartridge if you would prefer, but tikka seems to have done their homework with the correct twist rate and a longer mag box compared to their other offerings. A few companies make bottom metal that will allow you to run AI mags if you want to go that route down the road.

Nephrology
04-09-2018, 05:16 PM
Thanks - this is good advice. I do like the price point of the SWFA....

Currently I feel pretty persuaded to just get the CTR, decent scope rings and the SWFA fixed 10x42mm. Ammo and shoot, upgrade glass and stock as finances permit.

thoughts?

Clusterfrack
04-09-2018, 06:26 PM
It doesn't look like SWFA has the 10x42 in mil/mil. That would be a dealbreaker for me.

MK11
04-09-2018, 06:48 PM
How about a Ruger American in 7mm-08? Better range than 7.62x39, milder recoil than .308, more punch than .233.

You won’t be buying bulk ammo but it could be better as a hunting round.

Nephrology
04-09-2018, 06:59 PM
How about a Ruger American in 7mm-08? Better range than 7.62x39, milder recoil than .308, more punch than .233.

I'm definitely leaning towards a caliber that lends itself to a good amount of shooting, so .308 checks a lot of boxes for me. If only they allowed .223 out here... oh well.

HCM
04-09-2018, 07:34 PM

You can get the same advantages and performance from 6.5 Creedmoor with better ammo choices better cost and better availability.

You can also mitigate .308 recoil via a good break. Hence the desirability of a threaded barrel even if a suppressor isn’t in your current plans.

Lost River
04-09-2018, 07:49 PM
It doesn't look like SWFA has the 10x42 in mil/mil. That would be a dealbreaker for me.

The 10X Mil/Mil (mil quad)is one of their most popular optics. For good reason too. It tracks great, and is a rock solid reliable optic.

I have one on my primary elk rifle, a .300wm Tikka T3. It is an outstanding scope for the type of hunting that I do.

https://i.imgur.com/Dq1jbaR.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/rRrngUq.jpg?2

https://i.imgur.com/Jz57ScZ.jpg?1

You would be hard pressed to get a better optic than a fixed 10X or fixed 6X SWFA for the money.

Nephrology
04-09-2018, 08:51 PM
The 10X Mil/Mil (mil quad)is one of their most popular optics. For good reason too. It tracks great, and is a rock solid reliable optic.

I have one on my primary elk rifle, a .300wm Tikka T3. It is an outstanding scope for the type of hunting that I do.

You would be hard pressed to get a better optic than a fixed 10X or fixed 6X SWFA for the money.

I am thinking this + CTR + score rings = gun. I don't need mags or a chassis. I can easily wait until I've got a year or two of shooting it under my belt.

OlongJohnson
04-09-2018, 09:03 PM
I did a post awhile back about a non-standard installation of Warne rings on the T3 and why I think it's the best solution. Should be easy to find with a search.

schüler
04-09-2018, 10:40 PM
It doesn't look like SWFA has the 10x42 in mil/mil. That would be a dealbreaker for me.Looks like a bunch of the fixed are on backorder. Often found used on arfcom, snipeshide, riverofguns.

SS10X42MQ (occular parallax adj) $299 or
SS10X42MMQ (side parallax) $399

There are "zero stop" shims available. https://www.ebay.com/p/Zero-Stop-Shim-Sets-for-SWFA-Super-Sniper-Scopes/21002974928

rob_s
04-10-2018, 06:49 AM
Looks like his ultimate goal is a precision rifle.

While that seems to be the way things are trending (as, for whatever reason, they always seem to in modern bolt-action discussions), I was going strictly off of this while ignoring the seemingly arbitrary "I want a bolt-action" qualifier.

1. Platform for developing very basic marksmanship skills at intermediate distances (200yd and under)
2. Conceivably use for hunting deer (i.e. >.24cal/6mm in CO) though I accept that if I get serious about hunting I'll end up buying a rifle with more reach.
3. A rifle useful for social purposes, of course, is never undesirable

With those goals in mind, I want a rifle with the following qualities, also in order of priority:

1. Reliable, durable, built of components backed by good CS
2. Relatively inexpensive (Under $1k for complete rifle, not including glass)
3. Enjoyable to shoot
4. Inexpensive to shoot

with the thought that if the OP, or anyone else, already had an AR in 5.56 you could accomplish all of the above for well under the budget.

Nephrology
04-10-2018, 07:56 AM
While that seems to be the way things are trending (as, for whatever reason, they always seem to in modern bolt-action discussions), I was going strictly off of this while ignoring the seemingly arbitrary "I want a bolt-action" qualifier.

with the thought that if the OP, or anyone else, already had an AR in 5.56 you could accomplish all of the above for well under the budget.

ARs were addressed in the OP, and yes, I am more interested in a precision rifle ultimately - it seems like the CTR is just the most sensible way for me to spend my money. Out of the box it s basically ready to go - the KRG chassis is a nice idea that I can add down the line. I'm thinking the CTR with a fixed optic and a brake will give me a reasonably lightweight rifle that will be "good enough" for basically everything I could want to do with a rifle here in Colorado. I belong to a range with 1000yd steel silhouette targets, and while I probably won't be start off with ringing those back range gongs as my goal, I'd like a gun that I could use to try out that far, so long as I will be spending the money.

The SWFA fixed 10x seems like a good place to start while I save for a nice variable power optic. Then, if I end up getting really into hunting, I can always buy a T3x Lite (either in .308, .30-06, whatever) and throw the fixed power on there and now I have a decent precision rifle and a hunting rifle to match.

StraitR
10-17-2018, 09:26 PM
@Nephrology Did you ever move forward with this? I'm considering the same two (Tikka T3x CTR and Ruger American Predator) for hunting purposes only. Some good discussion in here.

I'm leaning towards the RA Predator for the simple fact that the AICS mag model (26974) can be had for $389 (no fees and free shipping) on Gunbroker right now. I'm not hyper-critical about triggers, and the few I've felt were more than adequate for hunting. Accuracy reports are good. Biggest complaint is the stock feeling cheap, but Magpul has that covered if needed. They also have 5/10rd AICS pattern PMAG's. Add a decent low power scope (likely Vortex something via Mil discount program) in some quality rings and a nice loop sling. Done. Should be under a grand all in.

Curious if you ever pulled the trigger, or if you did additional research and care to share.

GJM
10-17-2018, 09:55 PM

Good thing you are not the Idaho commissioner of fish and game!

MistWolf
10-17-2018, 10:36 PM
I have looked at several Ruger Predators. Nearly all of them had rough actions and were awkward to run fast. In fact, I find many of the "economy" bolt actions have rough actions and are awkward to run fast.

Lost River
10-19-2018, 12:15 PM
Good thing you are not the Idaho commissioner of fish and game!

GJM,

I didn't understand the context of that comment until I looked up the Commissioner. What an arrogant tool. This is what happens when the Kings Men and their cronies get appointed instead of having a person who has the future of the various game animals, non game animals, habitat, etc as well as the sportsmen's best interest in mind, rise through the ranks. Don't get me started on ID F&G anyways.

Sadly he will be replaced by another appointee who will simply view the position as a way to get his buddies prime hunts, tags, etc as well as taking every opportunity in regards to kickbacks, private land access, etc.

But I digress...

The standard Tikka T3 (or X now) in 308 or 6.5 if you must with the factory composite stock really is the Glock 19 of the rifle world. Stick a SWFA on it with some Talleys, and a 2 point sling and go hunt. You are completely set.

Here is my daughter's.

It now wears a fixed 6X mil/mil SWFA.

She can hunt pretty much everything, everywhere that a bolt action centerfire would be appropriate.

https://i.imgur.com/9H5ShJX.jpg