PDA

View Full Version : Getting my Crockett on.

Trooper224
04-06-2018, 06:58 PM
Freeze, Miami Vice! Yes, I'll admit it. Back in the day I was an unabashed fan of Miami Vice. If we're honest with ourselves, anyone interested in becoming a cop during that era was influenced by the show on some level. It was so indicative of the '80s: lots of speed and flash, big hair, big shoulder pads. Big guns with big bores were also the order of the day. This was also the era of the infamous Miami Shootout involving the FBI and two armed felons. In the aftermath, the 9mm was found to be inadequate (it really wasn't but that's another story) so big bore modern semi-autos became the flavor of the moment. The 1911 was maintaining some traction within law enforcement circles, but the whole cocked and locked thing gave the desk jockies the heebie jeebies. Enter the 4506 by Smith and Wesson.

http://a4.pbase.com/g10/64/521964/2/167266958.3O8hIw1J.jpg

As one of Smith and Wessons entries in their, then new, 3rd Generation line, the 4506 was really nothing more than an ergonomic improvement of the 2nd Generation 645. Like its predecessor, the 4506 was big, heavy and built like a bank vault.

http://a4.pbase.com/g10/64/521964/2/167266959.hIGjImUU.jpg

At the time I was drinking the Jeff Cooper KoolAid in the 44 ounce size, so I was a .45acp, 1911 man all the way. In the words of the old Master Chief, "I'd rather carry a bucket full of long necked Budweiser bottles than a damned 9mm." And those "Crunch n' Ticker" double action autos as El Padrone called them? Well, that was just an answer looking for a question. If you couldn't handle Gods Gun, go set at the kids table. Still, I had to admit, those shiny stainless autos thrown around by Sonny Crockett on a weekly basis sure looked sexy. That Bren Ten was cool (until I actually shot one, what a clunker), so was the 645 and then the 4506 appeared.

http://a4.pbase.com/g10/64/521964/2/167266960.oKXeQVg0.jpg

Despite my opinions on Gods Gun and double action autos, I had to admit that big stainless beast really stirred my juices and it quickly became one of the tactical hotnesses of the latter part of the decade. Unfortunately, I was a poor sailor with babies to feed. Consequently, I was a one gun man back then. To get a new one I had to sell what I had. Sell Gods Gun? My God, would Moses pawn the Ten Commandments? So sadly, I never did acquire one. A shipmate did though. Whether based upon my recommendation, or just to rub my nose in it my ego cannot say. He let me shoot it and it was cool. I then moved on to other things and the big Smith faded into history along with MC Hammer pants and the Mullet.

Then, earlier this week I walked into my local range and there it was in the display case.

http://a4.pbase.com/g10/64/521964/2/167266962.Jm9fTazF.jpg

In a flood of nostalgia it all came back to me. I could smell the salt in the air, the Cadillac in the parking lot started to look a lot like a Ferrari and I swear I could hear In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins playing in the distance.

http://a4.pbase.com/g10/64/521964/2/167266963.1s0n96FN.jpg

Yes, yes, I know. Before the Interwebz Movie Police pull me over, I realize this isn't the exact variant used in the show. But please, don't harsh my pastel mellow.

http://a4.pbase.com/g10/64/521964/2/167266965.6uKfsxPC.jpg

I'd recently lost out on acquiring a cherry Colt Python and I had a sad on about that, so I made the snap decision to carpe diem the s**t out of this one.

http://a4.pbase.com/g10/64/521964/2/167266969.OV9Z8vXl.jpg

For a thirty year old gun, it's in great shape with just a few handling marks here and there. The trigger is what you'd expect from an unaltered double action auto from the 80s: not bad, but not outstanding. It's long and smooth on the DA if a bit heavy, with a not too shabby SA pull and a crazy short reset. Certainly not terrible and nothing that will be an impediment to good shooting. The price was reasonable and the package included four magazines, so I didn't hesitate.

http://a4.pbase.com/g10/64/521964/2/167266966.aZXmj7Xn.jpg

Today, I happily carry a 9mm and a double action semi-auto to boot. Gods Gun is now a part time fun gun, so my attitudes have changed quite a bit over the years. As I get older, more of my decisions are based upon nostalgia for the past and I freely admit, this is one of them. I don't have the long hair anymore and I long ago outgrew the white linen blazer, but now I have the gun.

blues
04-06-2018, 07:02 PM
"Hey pal!"...

...Congrats!

Amp
04-06-2018, 07:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hJXE4L3DsQ

Balisong
04-06-2018, 07:12 PM
She's a beaut!! Let us know how she shoots!

TheNewbie
04-06-2018, 07:15 PM
I can feel it coming in the air tonight...

Trooper224
04-06-2018, 07:20 PM

Man, I knew Sonny was fashion forward, but an IDPA vest in the 80s? What a trend setter. :)

MattyD380
04-06-2018, 07:25 PM
Well, I was 3 years old when Miami Vice came on the scene... nor was I ever a cop... but none of that matters:

Because I definitely have a thing for these guns. The 645 is one of my favorites--and not just because Crockett carried it. It's a sweet shooter, and has been flawlessly reliable. I have become a big Smith fan, lately. I actually have a 1076 in shoulder holster, as I type this.

In some ways, I prefer the 645's setup to the later 3rd gen configuration--I've had a 4566, and the one-piece grips feel a little thin to me. With the Pachmayrs on the 645, it feels just about perfect. Anyway... congrats. Beautiful gun.

Jason M
04-06-2018, 07:38 PM
We were issued 4566s because of the “cool” that seeps from the pores of that gun.

JTQ
04-06-2018, 08:19 PM
That looks in great shape. Good find.

I have one from the same era (I'm always amazed at the small changes that went on with 4506 over its' life span), with the same grip, sights, etc., though the bumper pads on your mags look a little more "sophisticated" than the ones on mine. The pads on my 4506 kind of look like Pachmayr 1911 stick on pads. I think I bought mine in 1988.

Every time I think a Government size 1911 is too big and clunky, I pull out the 4506 and realize how sleek the 1911 is.

TheNewbie
04-06-2018, 08:22 PM
When I see the 4506, not only do I think of Miami Vice, but I also think of Detective Tom Ludlow from Street Kings.

hufnagel
04-06-2018, 08:49 PM
http://m.memegen.com/0dff5n.jpg

Hoping to start collecting guns that I want just because I want soon. This might have to go on the list.

BobM
04-06-2018, 08:51 PM
I bought a 4506 for an off-duty gun after we traded our revolvers for 5906s. I also shot some IDPA and bowling pin matches with it.

Cheap Shot
04-06-2018, 08:54 PM
"I then moved on to other things and the big Smith faded into history along with MC Hammer pants and the Mullet."

Wait? What? When did this happen?

Congrats. Very nice find on the 4506.

JSGlock34
04-06-2018, 08:55 PM
Nice find.

It needs leather. Where's your Miami Classic?

41magfan
04-06-2018, 09:13 PM
Those were good shooting and reliable pistols. I carried both iterations as a duty-gun back in the 80's. Stock up on magazines if you plan to shoot it much as prices and availability are starting to really get sporadic.

Trooper224
04-06-2018, 10:10 PM
http://m.memegen.com/0dff5n.jpg

Hoping to start collecting guns that I want just because I want soon. This might have to go on the list.

I'm at the point in my life where I'm getting a bit tired of walking around with a tactical tampon in my mangina 24/7. I still see the need to keep things wired down, but I see no harm in acquiring things simply for their enjoyment. I think I've earned the right.

Trooper224
04-06-2018, 10:12 PM
Nice find.

It needs leather. Where's your Miami Classic?

Had one, for a 1911. :) Believe me, over the last couple of days my ebayfu has been strong. Holsters altogether are hard to find for an early production sample like this one, with the hooked trigger guard. That's probably a good thing though, otherwise I'd probably do something stupid like actually carry the thing.

Trooper224
04-06-2018, 10:14 PM
Those were good shooting and reliable pistols. I carried both iterations as a duty-gun back in the 80's. Stock up on magazines if you plan to shoot it much as prices and availability are starting to really get sporadic.

The fact that it came with four mags was a real sweetner.

AMC
04-06-2018, 10:22 PM
"If I even flinch..she's gone!"

"Maybe... you won't....even...flinch." *BANG!*

Paul D
04-06-2018, 10:29 PM
I have a police trade in 4506 with decocker only safety (I think it is a Harrisburg PD gun..HPD). The double action pull is great but the single action pull is kinda bad. I have a 459 which has much better trigger and is lighter too (40 oz vs 28 oz). I love them both.

rathos
04-06-2018, 10:49 PM
I had one of those that I got rid of due to the slide release beating up my thumbs during shooting (I shoot thumbs forward or up normally). However I miss it and I have been eyeing a 4506-1 at a local gun store that is priced pretty low... Figure I can just adopt my revolver grip when shooting it.

gomerpyle
04-07-2018, 12:03 AM
Gods Gun is now a part time fun gun, so my attitudes have changed quite a bit over the years.

Every time I think a Government size 1911 is too big and clunky, I pull out the 4506 and realize how sleek the 1911 is.

Big congrats on your new acquisition! I grew up on Miami Vice as well, but was more drawn to the pastel outfits....

Don't want to hijack this thread, but God's Gun also plays a memorable role in one Miami Vice episode - and Jim Zubiena proves just how sleek it is:) Moreover, i believe Michael Mann had attended Gunsite....

https://youtu.be/MsKj6RGQ2VM?t=69

Or am I confusing Jim Zubiena with Gabe White:)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVX8KAWdnDg

Duelist
04-07-2018, 01:14 AM
I had a similar moment a couple of months ago. LGS had a 645, 745, 4506, and 4516-1. It was a tough call, because I totally wanted to Sonny the hell out of it, but the 4506 somebody had put a high polish on the slide, so it was out, and all my other S&W semiautos are 3rd gens, so I went with the one that I thought I might actually carry and got the 4516. Don't have a lot of rounds through it, but I really like having it in my safe.

JSGlock34
04-07-2018, 06:51 AM
Moreover, i believe Michael Mann had attended Gunsite....

There's some debate about exactly what Mann's tie to Gunsite was. We unpack that a bit in The Films of Michael Mann (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?8201-The-Films-of-Michael-Mann) thread.

I've long been a fan of Michael Mann's work, dating back to my misspent youth watching Miami Vice reruns and trying to figure out what Sonny Crockett was carrying in Season One before the invention of Google. Mann's attention to technical proficiency gives his films a particular intelligence and air of authenticity that sets him apart from his contemporaries. While his attention to firearms selection and training makes him particularly appealing to the members here, his eye for detail extends to nearly any tool used by his characters. I recently was listening to the Director's Commentary for Thief (Mann is one of the few Directors that will get me to turn on the Director's track) and was struck by the array of real tools used by Frank (James Caan) during the film as he executes his heists.

The Thief commentary had a few more gems within as Mann and Caan discussed the making of the film. Mann apparently attended the American Pistol Institute in 1979.

JAMES CAAN: "I got to handle these tools that Michael talked about...I got to handle my gun...oh, that was another great thing...we went to Jeff Cooper in Gunsite, Arizona and went through a course...we shot for two days...learned how to go through rooms, houses...how to draw and fire..."

During the final scene...

JAMES CAAN: "...and now we will see some of the techniques that Michael and I learned from Jeff Cooper called sweeping...sweeping a house, sweeping a room, etc."

Interestingly, there is a list of notable Gunsite students at Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunsite_Training_Center), and James Caan's name is specifically not listed, along with the following explanation...

Actor James Caan is sometimes included in the foregoing list, but when he told Cooper than he wanted to learn the Modern Technique for his role in the Michael Mann production, Thief (1981), Cooper declined, reasoning that Caan's character, an ex-con and career criminal, would not have been exposed to such training. Caan and Mann did, however, induce Gunsite's then D.Ops, Galen D. "Chuck" Taylor, to give him a one evening crash course, not in shooting, but looking like he knew how to shoot and move with a handgun. So thorough was Taylor's instruction, that many who saw the movie were convinced that Caan had been through Gunsite.

Earlier today I had the opportunity to get Chuck Taylor's take on what happened at Gunsite with Jeff Cooper and James Caan.

Chuck's recollection.
Feb. 1980 James Caan and Michael Mann showed up at Gunsite with a couple of Hogue long slide 1911s. Rather than use colorful language I will say Chuck did not think highly of Caan or Mann. A meeting took place in Cooper's office (The Crow's Nest) in his home. From the get go Cooper thought they both were the southbound end of a northbound horse and blew them off even though they were paying handsomely for a private tutorial. Mann wanted Caan to have some idea about what he was doing. Caan did not want to be there. Caan's hobby was rodeo. There was a rodeo in Denver coming up and Caan wanted out and to get to the rodeo.

The intention was for Caan to get five days of training. Cooper was offended because the hero, Caan was a bad guy. Cooper purposely dropped the whole thing in Taylor's lap. Chuck told me that Cooper used Taylor to get himself off the hook because Mann had paid for the training. Cooper did not refuse to give Caan training Cooper just refused to personally provide the training. Chuck said this all took place during the "off season" when nothing else was going on at Gunsite.

Chuck told me that he did some significant work on the script making the action realistic and was promised screen credit which he said he was "screwed out of".

Chuck said Caan did not want to listen or pay attention because he did not want to be there. He said Caan had a terrible trigger mash and decided that the only thing he could accomplish with Caan was make him look like he knew how to handle a weapon.

Lynskey
04-07-2018, 07:32 AM
OP, thanks for your post and excellent photos.

I was and still am a fan of Miami Vice. I own the first three seasons, when it was really good, on DVD. Some of their individual episodes are better than some movies.

During that era I also owned a 645 and loved shooting it. Later I also bought a 745 which I liked shooting a little better. Neither ever gave me any trouble. During that same time frame I couldn't get any of the four Colt 1911s that I bought to work correctly.

Yeah, the 645s and 745s were big and heavy but mine shot very well. Unfortunately I was much younger and had a very limited budget for guns so both were eventually traded off for something else that I couldn't afford otherwise.

Good find, OP. Enjoy in good health.

blues
04-07-2018, 09:09 AM
"Big Booty" Trudy approves:

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/fd/40/c2/fd40c27483783bda6ed249e35c55b5b0.jpg

"Oh...hell yeah, baby!"

Poconnor
04-07-2018, 10:18 AM
I had a 4566 that I should have kept

Trooper224
04-07-2018, 10:38 AM
I had a 4566 that I should have kept

Sadly, I have more than one gun on that list.

PD Sgt.
04-07-2018, 11:23 AM
A 4506 was my first duty weapon. When we switched out to polymer I bought it from the department. I wish I had picked up a second as a parts back-up.

Back then we had more of a marksmanship culture on the department and qualified out to 50 yards with the Smiths. Never had a problem that wasn’t my fault.

Beat Trash
04-07-2018, 11:53 AM
They were nice shooting pistols. And when you ran out of ammunition, you could just beat someone to death with the empty gun.

There comes a time in life when it’s ok to buy a pistol just because...

You need a Miami Vice leather shoulder holster. I actually bought one for a 5906 when I was first hired on in 1993. The 5906 was the issued pistol, and I may have watched a few episodes of Miami Vice.... still have that shoulder holster floating around in a box of holsters somewhere. Not sure if it would work with the 4506 or not though.

Hambo
04-07-2018, 11:56 AM
Had one, for a 1911. :) Believe me, over the last couple of days my ebayfu has been strong. Holsters altogether are hard to find for an early production sample like this one, with the hooked trigger guard. That's probably a good thing though, otherwise I'd probably do something stupid like actually carry the thing.

Kramer still lists availability for large frame S&W autos, and I bet Sparks could still make belt holsters.

I will now confess one of the biggest mistakes in my gun buying life. Back when you couldn't keep up with S&W auto model numbers, I bought my wife a two-tone DAO 59-something or other. Not long after that I saw its larger two tone .45 brother: blue slide/alloy frame. I can't remember if it was DAO or not, but it was the slickest looking .45 Smith I ever saw. That could have been because I had '80's wood for two tone 1911s but that's not important right now. I thought too long and one day it was gone from the shop.

SouthNarc
04-07-2018, 12:05 PM
You don’t shoot people when you carry God’s gun. You smite them.

SAWBONES
04-07-2018, 01:24 PM
...thought it was gonna be a Bren Ten!

I watched it regularly when it originally aired.

And I even have the first-third seasons on DVD. :cool:

Dagga Boy
04-07-2018, 01:26 PM
Speaking of a Smiting gun.......how about a real LAPD SIS 4506.

Gary1911A1
04-07-2018, 03:46 PM
The character Sonny Crockett went from a Ted Blocker, which wasn't set up right, to a Galco Jackass Shoulder Rig. The Miami Classic came later and was named so for marketing purposes. I still have a 645 and an early 4506. Great pistols and I can say I do not remember a malfunction. Both would of been heavy for all day carry and I would of went back or stayed with the Sig 220 in .45 with it's lighter frame myself, but still they are great pistols.

Dagga Boy
04-07-2018, 04:19 PM
The character Sonny Crockett went from a Ted Blocker, which wasn't set up right, to a Galco Jackass Shoulder Rig. The Miami Classic came later and was named so for marketing purposes. I still have a 645 and an early 4506. Great pistols and I can say I do not remember a malfunction. Both would of been heavy for all day carry and I would of went back or stayed with the Sig 220 in .45 with it's lighter frame myself, but still they are great pistols.

I was a big P-220 guy myself all the way until the HK USP45 came out. Which is actually the first pistol Crockett used in the first pilot episode. It was likely a European heel magazine release P-220 that was converted to a American button release by Tim LaFrance who was very local to me and did a lot of guns for the show.

JSGlock34
04-07-2018, 04:22 PM
The Miami Classic came later and was named so for marketing purposes.

Gotta love 80s Galco marketing...

Earlymonk
04-07-2018, 04:34 PM
But please, don't harsh my pastel mellow.

Wouldn't dream of it, man. Great find!

(And truth be told, I actually went to a HS dance dressed as Crockett: white pants, pink shirt, baby blue blazer, men's espadrilles, no socks. Big hit, baby. BIG hit. :))

blues
04-07-2018, 04:48 PM
Wouldn't dream of it, man. Great find!

(And truth be told, I actually went to a HS dance dressed as Crockett: white pants, pink shirt, baby blue blazer, men's espadrilles, no socks. Big hit, baby. BIG hit. :))

You shoulda seen some of the get-ups we would wear back in the day working in Miami.

(It's embarrassing to even think back on it. But yeah, some of the ladies loved it and that's all that really mattered. It was all Rico Suave, all the time. Oye mamita!)

ubervic
04-07-2018, 05:00 PM
Op’s post might be THE best post of all time.

Well done.

Trooper224
04-07-2018, 06:07 PM
Looks like it's gonna be a project...................
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?30618-Problem-with-4506-Slide-Stop

Duelist
04-07-2018, 06:08 PM
They were nice shooting pistols. And when you ran out of ammunition, you could just beat someone to death with the empty gun.

There comes a time in life when it’s ok to buy a pistol just because...

You need a Miami Vice leather shoulder holster. I actually bought one for a 5906 when I was first hired on in 1993. The 5906 was the issued pistol, and I may have watched a few episodes of Miami Vice.... still have that shoulder holster floating around in a box of holsters somewhere. Not sure if it would work with the 4506 or not though.

59xx size leather won't work with 45xx size slides and frames. They're not a lot bigger, but just enough to give no joy.

JSGlock34
04-07-2018, 06:15 PM
Op’s post might be THE best post of all time.

Well done.

It's good, no doubt about it. I'm a sucker for any Miami Vice related thread. But we've had pretty epic Miami Classic threads before...

So look...shoulder holsters. Yeah, I know. (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?7407-So-look-shoulder-holsters-Yeah-I-know)

Don't take my word for it.

Best. P-F.com thread. Ever.

Tier One thread.

ubervic
04-07-2018, 06:30 PM
It's good, no doubt about it. I'm a sucker for any Miami Vice related thread. But we've had pretty epic Miami Classic threads before...

So look...shoulder holsters. Yeah, I know. (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?7407-So-look-shoulder-holsters-Yeah-I-know)

Don't take my word for it.

Bringin’ it back fo real, doh.

;-)

Horseman
04-07-2018, 07:29 PM
My first FTO, circa 1995 or so, still carried a 4506.

He'd shot a knife-wielding bad guy dead with it, six months or so before I started working with him. With one round of 230-gr. Winchester Black Talon, no less. :eek:

Those are cool pistols.

DpdG
04-07-2018, 07:38 PM
I went through the police academy in 2008 with a Melonite'd 4566, decock only. Likely the most reliable pistol I've had, but I still have nightmare of the rangemaster's impending command to fire while I was still topping off mags. I was the only recruit, of a 60 person class, with single stack mags...

BobM
04-07-2018, 07:40 PM
Looks like it's gonna be a project...................
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?30618-Problem-with-4506-Slide-Stop

I had to send the one I bought in 1990 back for a slide stop issue. They fixed it but in 2007 I had to send it back. The said the frame holes were too far out of spec to repair. They happened to have some left from a recent run so they sent me a new one

Lester Polfus
04-07-2018, 11:12 PM
My first FTO, circa 1995 or so, still carried a 4506.

He'd shot a knife-wielding bad guy dead with it, six months or so before I started working with him. With one round of 230-gr. Winchester Black Talon, no less. :eek:

Those are cool pistols.

One of our Sergeants drilled a guy on the other side of a sheet rock wall with his. Dude was hiding behind the door frame with his hand stuck out, firing blindly. It was a round of Ranger SXT (Same eXact Thing) though...

Trooper224
04-07-2018, 11:39 PM
Well, the gun appears to be in need of some parts replacement, namely a slide stop and side plate, as well as a new guide rod. Miracles can happen and I think I've managed to get all of those sourced. It only took about five hours on the computer to do it.

Hopefully I'll have this baby runnin' like a cigarette boat off the Florida Keys.

Beat Trash
04-08-2018, 09:17 AM
Remember that in true Miami Vice, Crocket fashion, you can't wear socks when carrying this gun...

blues
04-08-2018, 09:20 AM
Remember that in true Miami Vice, Crocket fashion, you can't wear socks when carrying this gun...

http://www.liketotally80s.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/miami-vice-costume-360x450px.jpg

"And make sure your drink matches your shirt...and that you remember to button your pants."

TGS
04-08-2018, 09:22 AM
You shoulda seen some of the get-ups we would wear back in the day working in Miami.

(It's embarrassing to even think back on it. But yeah, some of the ladies loved it and that's all that really mattered. It was all Rico Suave, all the time. Oye mamita!)

Pictures, E.

Let's go.

blues
04-08-2018, 09:27 AM
Pictures, E.

Let's go.

There are no pictures. We were too drunk to handle cameras, and (at least) smart enough not to leave any evidence.

(And thankfully it was before cellphone cameras.)

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1f/f2/ef/1ff2ef59e48c54e21bb13cfc3c628fc8.jpg

The (former) local watering hole for many LEOs, prosecutors, and night crawling denizens of Miami's torrid night life:

http://www.miami.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2014/10/MiamiTobaccoRoad2WEB_0.jpg

(A speakeasy frequented by Al Capone back in the prohibition era.)

NickA
04-08-2018, 12:57 PM
If being like Sonny Crockett, then being like Sonny Crockett is the answer [emoji16]
On the Michael Mann front, I try to catch Miami Vice on one of our OTA channels when I can, and just re-watched Heat on Netflix yesterday.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Trooper224
04-08-2018, 01:03 PM
There are no pictures. We were too drunk to handle cameras, and (at least) smart enough not to leave any evidence.

(And thankfully it was before cellphone cameras.)

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1f/f2/ef/1ff2ef59e48c54e21bb13cfc3c628fc8.jpg

The (former) local watering hole for many LEOs, prosecutors, and night crawling denizens of Miami's torrid night life:

http://www.miami.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2014/10/MiamiTobaccoRoad2WEB_0.jpg

(A speakeasy frequented by Al Capone back in the prohibition era.)

Thank God there was no social media when we were younger. The things we did and got away with............

There are too many things that will go to the grave with just my buddies and me. :)

gomerpyle
04-08-2018, 01:09 PM
Big congrats on your new acquisition! I grew up on Miami Vice as well, but was more drawn to the pastel outfits....

Don't want to hijack this thread, but God's Gun also plays a memorable role in one Miami Vice episode - and Jim Zubiena proves just how sleek it is:) Moreover, i believe Michael Mann had attended Gunsite....

Or am I confusing Jim Zubiena with Gabe White:)?

Finally figured out how to embed a video rather than simply a link....

A memorable role for God's Gun, ably wielded by Jim Zubiena, in Miami Vice (starts at approx the 50 second mark):

And Gabe White's homage to the scene:

Hambo
04-08-2018, 01:09 PM
and (at least) smart enough not to leave any evidence.

Never leave evidence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yWp-Byg0Sc

gomerpyle
04-08-2018, 01:17 PM
There's some debate about exactly what Mann's tie to Gunsite was. We unpack that a bit in The Films of Michael Mann (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?8201-The-Films-of-Michael-Mann) thread.

Thanks for this - a great read!

MDFA
04-09-2018, 03:32 PM
Back in the early 90's I carried a 4506 with the straight backstrap grip, in a SSIII Duty Holster with 4 magazines in a Don Hume Quad mag pouch on duty. I taught at the Academy with that rig as did one of the other instructors. I even had a Miami Classic Shoulder Holster. That pistol would feed empty cases as I recall. At some point I traded it for something..... As others have said you could use it as an impact instrument if you ran out of ammo. Old School Cool...

Be Safe

Robinson
04-09-2018, 04:01 PM
Man I owned a bunch of those 3rd Generation S&Ws -- probably 7-10 of them in 9mm and .45ACP. Some were TDA and a couple were DAO guns. I remember they were always reliable and they shot pretty nice. I owned a few right up until I started shooting 1911s. My wife still has a model 457 converted to DAO with night sights added.

BillSWPA
04-09-2018, 04:48 PM

To really be authentic, a Detonics Combat Master in an ankle holster (still worn with no socks) would be required.

I cannot imagine wearing even a much lighter gun in an ankle holster without socks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lost River
04-09-2018, 05:01 PM
OOH Yeah!

Count me as a fan of the 4506, and the Smith .45s in general.

No shortage of Hollywood gunfighters sported a 4506, and Detective Tom Ludlow in Street Kings did a bang-up job carrying one, along with a custom 1911. Great movie!

Here is my 4506 (decocker version) I carried it a fair bit this winter. Very accurate gun.

https://i.imgur.com/oOPjlA0.jpg?1

And a 645 to boot, for the Miami Vice fans. :)

https://i.imgur.com/XG53bl6.jpg

Trooper224
04-09-2018, 05:04 PM
I started this thread and I've greatly enjoyed the replies. However, all this talk about the 80's like they're ancient history makes me feel old. I think, "It wasn't that long ago." Then, I walk by a mirror.................

jnc36rcpd
04-09-2018, 05:06 PM
I've got a 5906 that I won't part with for sentimental reasons. I suppose in part for how hooked I was on "Miami Vice." Great thread and great scene from "The Glades". Crockett's two best gunfighting quotes were that one and "You can come along nice and peaceful...or...you don't have to come along at all."

OlongJohnson
04-09-2018, 08:40 PM
I wish I'd known about third gens when the 4586 blowouts were going on.

Trooper224
04-13-2018, 06:54 PM
I've just completed a 200 round session with the Big Smitty and I'm happy to proclaim it good to go.

I replaced the slide stop and side plate, as well as the recoil, extractor and mag springs. Retired Fire Captain Jonathon Race, from the S&W Collector's Forum, supplied the slide stop and side plate at a very considerate price. I also purchased a steel guide rod from Paul Howell, also of the S&W Forum. As most will know, the original guide rod is aluminum and a multi-piece affair. (way to go S&W, take a boat anchor of a gun and try to save weight with an aluminum guide rod, spectacular) There's a spring plunger on the back end of the rod that applies pressure to a notch in the slide stop, helping to keep the latter in place.

The plunger is in turn held in place by a cap that's crimped into the guide rod. If the cap comes loose you're dead in the water. Mine is in good shape, but since this is another near unobtanium part, I opted to replace it with a steel unit. Paul makes them himself and his turn around was an incredible two days. The rod is beautifully made and functions flawlessly. If you have one of these pistols, the price of $60 is well spent insurance. One of our forum members here kindly offered to send me an NOS factory grip module for the cost of postage.

As I stated in my original post: I shot one of these only once, way back in the day. I remember liking it, but didn't recall any really detailed recollections. After putting a few rounds down range I will say, I really like this pistol. Third Generation Smiths seem to be a love it or hate it affair, you can put me in the latter category. I loaded up some 230 grain hardball loads over 5.0 grains of Bullseye, the classic service load for the round. Since I was mainly checking function, I wanted to eliminate as many variables as possible and decided to avoid lighter target loads this time out. At the twenty five yard line accuracy was as good as it was during my first outing. I had a few fliers, but that was me trying too hard with an unfamiliar gun. With dedicated target loads the gun will be quite the shooter.

I was very impressed with the way the gun handled during speed drills at the seven and ten yard lines. Two hundred rounds of hardball from one of my 1911s would send my looking for the pain killers due to my arthritis. The mass of the 4506 really dampened the recoil of the service loads and it was quite comfortable to shoot. The grip is a tad narrow for me, but it is rather long front to back and that helps minimize it. The DA trigger is around twelve pounds and the SA at six, but they're both pretty smooth and neither presented an issue. Four years of shooting Beretta 92s has helped in that regard. The reset is crazy short for a DA/SA gun, almost 1911 short. I don't plan on doing anything to the trigger, it's fine as is. The decocker didn't pose any problems for me, since operating one has now become second nature. It's easily reached with either my shooting or support hand thumbs.

The 4506 has been affectionately described as (some times not so much) clunky, massive and cumbersome. Yes, it's big with a capital B, but overall it's no bigger than the 92 I've been carrying and actually quite a bit flatter than the Beretta. Personally, I don't find it clunky and I actually think it handles quite well. It is heavy though, no getting around that, but that's actually a plus when it's time to pull the trigger. I bought this gun for nostalgias sake, but I find that I quite like it as a shooter. I wish Smith and Wesson still made them. If that was the case I'd buy one or two more and run them a lot harder than I plan on running this one. I don't intend for this to supplant my Berettas as my carry gun. However, I will be obtaining a holster so that I can work with the 4506. I like expanding my knowledge base and this one will provide an enjoyable experience.

I'm very thankful to the people who were kind enough to give me the benefit of their experience in analyzing the guns issues and especially to the people I've mentioned for supplying the parts necessary to get this old beast back in action. Cool stuff all around.

Now to find that 1006.

Lester Polfus
04-13-2018, 07:07 PM
I'm glad you got it up and running!

I always loved those pistols. We were issued either 5906s or 4006s, but the 4506 and 4566 were authorized for private purchase and on duty carry. I was very close to buying one for years, but we were always going to go to Glocks "next year." Several guys had them and loved them though.

Trooper224
04-14-2018, 02:08 AM
I'm glad you got it up and running!

So am I. I'm also glad it was something a little TLC could fix. When I was done shooting I told the store manager the gun was up and running. He said, "I'm glad you got it fixed." I told him, "So am I. Now we don't have to have the discussion about you selling me a defective gun." The look on his face made it obvious the issue had crossed their minds, but they weren't about to go there voluntarily. Now, I have no doubt they would have given me a refund if I'd asked for it, but I wanted to give them a reminder about who they were dealing with.

Trooper224
04-18-2018, 02:24 PM
The Big Smitty's proving to be a bit of a challenge. It's relatively high bore line and narrow grip are making it a bit of a challenge. That's good though, I like things that make me work for it. I've decided this is going to be my summer project. I'm gonna slap this bitch around and by the end of the summer it'll call me daddy.

DpdG
04-18-2018, 03:11 PM
I struggled continuously with the grip dimensions. Due to my large palms and short stubby fingers, I had very little contact with the sides of the grips which resulted in recoil control issues. I tend to do better with more girth (phrasing) than either the strait or curved backstraps. I had the best luck with a FBI 1076 grip shell, which have a palm swell. The other option is Hogue rubbers, but those can present their own issues for the grip pin retention of the mainspring.

Trooper224
04-18-2018, 03:52 PM
I struggled continuously with the grip dimensions. Due to my large palms and short stubby fingers, I had very little contact with the sides of the grips which resulted in recoil control issues. I tend to do better with more girth (phrasing) than either the strait or curved backstraps. I had the best luck with a FBI 1076 grip shell, which have a palm swell. The other option is Hogue rubbers, but those can present their own issues for the grip pin retention of the mainspring.

My issue is that while I have large hands they aren't overly fatty or meaty. This results in long fingers and hollow palms. It's why I always used standard sized grips and avoided the thins when I carried a 1911. It's also why the Beretta 92 works so well for me, when others find it too large. I despise rubber grips on any gun so I'm going to try avoiding the Hogues if at all possible. Looking at the way those are designed I did have questions concerning the mainspring, as you've mentioned. If I keep a good firm grip on the gun there's no issue, if I slack up just a bit I start throwing shots at the twenty five yard line. I've noticed a weakening grip is correlating to increasing age, so this will help me work on that.

MattyD380
04-18-2018, 10:35 PM
My issue is that while I have large hands they aren't overly fatty or meaty. This results in long fingers and hollow palms. It's why I always used standard sized grips and avoided the thins when I carried a 1911. It's also why the Beretta 92 works so well for me, when others find it too large. I despise rubber grips on any gun so I'm going to try avoiding the Hogues if at all possible. Looking at the way those are designed I did have questions concerning the mainspring, as you've mentioned. If I keep a good firm grip on the gun there's no issue, if I slack up just a bit I start throwing shots at the twenty five yard line. I've noticed a weakening grip is correlating to increasing age, so this will help me work on that.

I have the same issue with the single stack 3rd gens. Mine will group tightly... about 2 inches left of where I aim. As you pointed out, there's just not enough palm contact on the sides, with the stock grips.

The FBI palm swell grips (that came with the 1076) are an improvement. I added granulate grip-tape from Talon to mine, and it feels really good. My 1076 now groups right on the money.

There's a Turkish company... KSD Grips... that makes wood grips for a lot of the 3rd gens--4506 included. You might consider them. I tried the rubber Hogues on my 4516... felt all right. Definitely improved the lateral purchase. But, they significantly extended the trigger reach. No go for my stubby fingers.

Honestly, I find the 645 to be the best of the bunch. With the Pachmayer grip panels, it feels about perfect.

Trooper224
04-19-2018, 01:41 AM
I have the same issue with the single stack 3rd gens. Mine will group tightly... about 2 inches left of where I aim. As you pointed out, there's just not enough palm contact on the sides, with the stock grips.

The FBI palm swell grips (that came with the 1076) are an improvement. I added granulate grip-tape from Talon to mine, and it feels really good. My 1076 now groups right on the money.

There's a Turkish company... KSD Grips... that makes wood grips for a lot of the 3rd gens--4506 included. You might consider them. I tried the rubber Hogues on my 4516... felt all right. Definitely improved the lateral purchase. But, they significantly extended the trigger reach. No go for my stubby fingers.

Honestly, I find the 645 to be the best of the bunch. With the Pachmayer grip panels, it feels about perfect.

I have considered the KSD Grips, as well as wooden Hogues. However, considering how the mainspring and its plunger are mounted into the grip I have concerns about durability with wooden grips that are of two-piece construction.

DpdG
04-19-2018, 05:52 AM
Can't speak to the KSD, but Hogue uses a plastic mainspring cup with embedded brass nuts the stock screws thread into. The grip panels themselves do not retain the mainspring. It's not perfect, especially if there is any gap between panels near the beavertail, but at least the wood/rubber isn't the part retaining the mainspring. I really would troll around the secondary market for the FBI palm swells as they are very likely the best option.

newt
04-19-2018, 07:35 AM
OK, maybe I'm a bumpkin and I DID love the show, but when I saw the thread title I thought this was going to be more like old school DAVY Crocket thread. Like Henry levers or something (yeah I know they came after).

JTQ
04-19-2018, 08:24 AM
OK, maybe I'm a bumpkin and I DID love the show, but when I saw the thread title I thought this was going to be more like old school DAVY Crocket thread.
I'll admit I did too, and I watched "Miami Vice" when it was new, and I've owned a 4506 since the late 1980's. However, it is in the "Semi-Auto Pistols" sub forum, so I should have guessed a Bren10 or big S&W auto.

Trooper224
04-21-2018, 12:38 AM
Today, I threw in the towel and ordered a set of rubber Hogues. I must be getting less stubborn because it only took me 500 rounds to give up. I just can't overcome the narrow grip and the checkering on the factory grips must be there for visual appeal, because it's worthless for grip adhesion. Oh well, we'll go for performance over style points.

Trooper224
04-21-2018, 12:39 AM
OK, maybe I'm a bumpkin and I DID love the show, but when I saw the thread title I thought this was going to be more like old school DAVY Crocket thread. Like Henry levers or something (yeah I know they came after).

Versace not Buckskin.

GardoneVT
04-21-2018, 01:10 AM
I’ll just leave this pic of my latest addition here. Hope that’s alright with y’all.

https://i.imgur.com/9eBggw1_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

TheNewbie
04-21-2018, 01:28 AM
I’ll just leave this pic of my latest addition here. Hope that’s alright with y’all.

Normally I do not like wood grips on non 1911s, but wow that looks good.

Trooper224
04-21-2018, 01:36 AM

Sweet.

Bucky
04-21-2018, 05:53 AM
I started this thread and I've greatly enjoyed the replies. However, all this talk about the 80's like they're ancient history makes me feel old. I think, "It wasn't that long ago." Then, I walk by a mirror.................

Here’s one for a younger generation, and some 4506 goodness.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/theshield/images/4/4f/Vic-mackey.jpg

Hambo
04-21-2018, 06:00 AM
You can stipple the plastic S&W grips.

blues
04-21-2018, 08:54 AM
Today, I threw in the towel and ordered a set of rubber Hogues. I must be getting less stubborn because it only took me 500 rounds to give up. I just can't overcome the narrow grip and the checkering on the factory grips must be there for visual appeal, because it's worthless for grip adhesion. Oh well, we'll go for performance over style points.

I know they're not pretty...but I really like the Hogue's that came as OEM on my 686+ and 642-1. They simply work...and to me that's a beautiful thing.

Let us know how they work out for you.

Wondering Beard
04-21-2018, 09:49 AM
Doesn't Hogue make (or used to make) wooden stocks for the 4506?

Sherman A. House DDS
04-21-2018, 12:15 PM
The Hogue woods have a slight palm swell. I’m late to the party...I have a collection of S&W 3rd Gen pistols, including a 4506. I love them all.

civiliandefender.com

Sherman A. House DDS
04-21-2018, 12:16 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180421/8e62ad04aff7d29d9d372d6199b1b410.jpg

civiliandefender.com

Sherman A. House DDS
04-21-2018, 12:17 PM
The grip panels will warp if you stipple them off of the gun. So go slow and be careful if you go that route.

civiliandefender.com

Gary1911A1
04-21-2018, 12:41 PM
S&W use to make a better grip for the FBI for their 1076 that also fit the 4506, but sadly they don't make them anymore.

Trooper224
04-21-2018, 02:00 PM
Doesn't Hogue make (or used to make) wooden stocks for the 4506?

They still do, but add some checkering and you're looking at +$100, more than I'd like to spend.

xray 99
04-22-2018, 09:19 PM
They still do, but add some checkering and you're looking at +$100, more than I'd like to spend.

And they are thick.

Bigghoss
04-22-2018, 09:58 PM
Here’s one for a younger generation, and some 4506 goodness.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/theshield/images/4/4f/Vic-mackey.jpg

This is what made me want a 4506

You can stipple the plastic S&W grips.

The grip panels will warp if you stipple them off of the gun. So go slow and be careful if you go that route.

civiliandefender.com

This. Ask me how I know.

My first 3rd gen acquisition, a 3014. It has since moved on.
https://scontent.fapa1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19274947_10155152273005219_5695245360699066003_n.j pg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeEFHJURsVlRTwzWYfrJRrcG7lrAfilEzm_Q OJtEUtyjkGkhNkgl5sIIZz-SETkzzfeMiDpTLy9rEYxbwCvfpbfkIdWg_xigAOj1cIl99yt6d w&oh=3f070a49f30c510cb24e53d9bf21ebbe&oe=5B60ADB3

Then I scored a 4006 TSW that used to belong to the local sheriff's department and a month later I got my grail 4506-1 from DB
https://scontent.fapa1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/26758083_10155751532665219_3707611630783664423_o.j pg?_nc_cat=0&oh=b5dfaf1ce78c804afba57a7563097148&oe=5B531874

And then I was able to get a hold of a CHP edition 4006 TSW. I like this a lot more than my other 4006.
https://scontent.fapa1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/27541134_10155804922820219_3069044890155054661_n.j pg?_nc_cat=0&oh=08e63f8ff0c7c65a5375342860144723&oe=5B52BB19
https://scontent.fapa1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/30715863_10155998221740219_3430047907212951552_o.j pg?_nc_cat=0&oh=44ae19b1dcae35aa63a281a321247ff4&oe=5B59C19E

Had a really hard time resisting the 5946 at the LGS, the trigger on that is so nice. Maybe I should ask about trading my 4006 for it. Sportsmans outdoor superstore has some 5906's too. I'm seeing some 3rd gens pop up more lately. I'm wondering if the last LEO agencies are finally replacing them. I'll get more in the future but I'm trying to dial back the collecting in favor of being more practical and moving to Berettas since I carry an M9 at work.

Trooper224
04-23-2018, 07:14 PM
I know they're not pretty...but I really like the Hogue's that came as OEM on my 686+ and 642-1. They simply work...and to me that's a beautiful thing.

Let us know how they work out for you.

Well, the offensive Hogues are obviously the answer to my needs. They're much more hand filling, a better fit overall for me and nicely anchor the gun in my hand. so I guess it's function over form for now. This gun is going to be my summer project and will see a fair bit of shooting over the next few months. Once it transitions into the status of collectable/occasional fun gun, I may spring for a set of checkered wood Hoques, but for now the rubbers will do just fine.

MattyD380
04-24-2018, 10:46 AM
I love the 3rd gens. I know... I know... it always comes up... but......

There's no profit in making these guns again?

They're more expensive to make. They'd have to sell them at a prohibitively high price. They're all re-tooled for M&Ps, etc., etc.

But people pay a grand for Wilson Berettas. People pay even more than that for Sigs. I think there would be a market--albeit somewhat niche--if they released updated versions of the guns, with premium features. A 6906 patterned pistol with a tuned trigger, melonite finish, G10 grips, low profile levers and a match barrel might be my perfect gun.

Hambo
04-24-2018, 11:13 AM
I guess it's function over form for now.

WTF is wrong with you?! Next you'll be saying that you can't execute a 3 second FAST with a Miami Classic, a linen jacket hangs up your draw, and that a Testarossa isn't tactical enough.

Getting your Crockett on is all about form...and looking for that Detonics 9mm to go with the 4506.

Bucky
04-24-2018, 12:13 PM
I love the 3rd gens. I know... I know... it always comes up... but......

There's no profit in making these guns again?

They're more expensive to make. They'd have to sell them at a prohibitively high price. They're all re-tooled for M&Ps, etc., etc.

But people pay a grand for Wilson Berettas. People pay even more than that for Sigs. I think there would be a market--albeit somewhat niche--if they released updated versions of the guns, with premium features. A 6906 patterned pistol with a tuned trigger, melonite finish, G10 grips, low profile levers and a match barrel might be my perfect gun.

Consider though that, the higher priced Berettas and Sigs that you mention are upgrades to an already existing more basic priced line of pistols, sharing many of the same parts, even if said parts have additional machining. If it were just the Wilson Berettas and high end Sigs, I don't think the limited market would support an ongoing production from a major manufacturer.

To completely retool for the S&W lineup, of a much less popular / less sought after lineup of handguns, would doubtfully be a feasible venture.

MattyD380
04-24-2018, 01:37 PM
Consider though that, the higher priced Berettas and Sigs that you mention are upgrades to an already existing more basic priced line of pistols, sharing many of the same parts, even if said parts have additional machining. If it were just the Wilson Berettas and high end Sigs, I don't think the limited market would support an ongoing production from a major manufacturer.

To completely retool for the S&W lineup, of a much less popular / less sought after lineup of handguns, would doubtfully be a feasible venture.

I agree. I don't think it would make sense for S&W to retool their entire lineup for something that would be a boutique product. But, their 1911s are boutique products. And the consumer pays for it: $1200 for a scandium e-series. If Smith believed they could sell tricked-out, scandium 6906s for $1200 a pop... I wonder if they'd consider making room on the line...

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread. Back to the crux of the matter: your 4506 is really cool and makes me wish I could buy one new.

Trooper224
04-24-2018, 02:09 PM
WTF is wrong with you?! Next you'll be saying that you can't execute a 3 second FAST with a Miami Classic, a linen jacket hangs up your draw, and that a Testarossa isn't tactical enough.

Getting your Crockett on is all about form...and looking for that Detonics 9mm to go with the 4506.

You're giving me interesting ideas for a new IDPA stage. :)

Trooper224
04-24-2018, 04:11 PM
I agree. I don't think it would make sense for S&W to retool their entire lineup for something that would be a boutique product. But, their 1911s are boutique products. And the consumer pays for it: $1200 for a scandium e-series. If Smith believed they could sell tricked-out, scandium 6906s for $1200 a pop... I wonder if they'd consider making room on the line...

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread. Back to the crux of the matter: your 4506 is really cool and makes me wish I could buy one new.

Given the quality I see coming out of S&W these days, I'd be happy to just have a reliable supply of spare parts and service. Reintroducing the 3rd Gen. line up? Considering the 4506 went for just over $700 back in the 80's, that would roughly translate to twice that in 2018 dollars. Quality wise, they'd probably FUBAR it.

Lester Polfus
04-24-2018, 04:40 PM
But people pay a grand for Wilson Berettas. People pay even more than that for Sigs.

No high speed, low-drag units use a 3rd Gen S&W. No internet-famous trainer extolls their virtues on YouTube. Quality-wise, I'd stack them up there with Sig and Beretta, but that isn't the only thing that sells pistols.

If there were grainy photos of Fort Bragg Stockade Rifle and Pistol Club carrying 4506s in their drop-leg holsters, you wouldn't be able to buy them for less than a grand.

Trooper224
04-24-2018, 04:55 PM
No high speed, low-drag units use a 3rd Gen S&W. No internet-famous trainer extolls their virtues on YouTube.

But Don, Kurt, Denzel, Michael and Keanu all have as Hollyweird cops. :) Thankfully that hasn't done to the 4506 what The Walking Dead has done to the Python.

If there were grainy photos of Fort Bragg Stockade Rifle and Pistol Club carrying 4506s in their drop-leg holsters, you wouldn't be able to buy them for less than a grand.

How do you know there aren't? Maybe that's above your paygrade? :)

OlongJohnson
04-25-2018, 07:28 PM
I've detail stripped third-gens, Sigs and a Beretta.

The Smiff frames are unreasonably complex to machine, with a multitude of expensive-looking parts in them. And lots of parts had to be fitted. And they're fragile. Just not a good, robust, modern design. Sigs are utter simplicity and dirt inexpensive to build in comparison. The world has been going to "more reliable, longer lasting, easier and faster to build" for a long time. And that doesn't mean "cheap." It's no mystery why the Smiths went away.

Trooper224
04-26-2018, 12:26 AM
Yesterday I had my first shooting session with the rubber Hogues mounted and that did the trick. Does anyone have any comparative experience with the wood Hogues vs. the rubber? Is the wood close to the rubber in size or larger?

Lester Polfus
04-26-2018, 11:52 AM
Yesterday I had my first shooting session with the rubber Hogues mounted and that did the trick. Does anyone have any comparative experience with the wood Hogues vs. the rubber? Is the wood close to the rubber in size or larger?

I can't answer your question about size, but I just thought I'd throw out there that the wood Hogues were forbidden at my agency. The policy pre-dated my arrival, and it's a 15 year old memory at this point, but my understanding is that somebody had experienced an impact, I believe from a fall, that cracked the grips. Since some of the working parts of the gun are in the grip, it rendered it inoperable.

Probably not a factor for your intended use, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

fatdog
04-26-2018, 12:09 PM
... somebody had experienced an impact, I believe from a fall, that cracked the grips. Since some of the working parts of the gun are in the grip, it rendered it inoperable.

True, then at some point Hogue changed their gen 3 design so a separate piece retained the mainspring cap instead of the grip itself and the thing could actually survive a cracked grip better than the factory grips can. I had an early version of the Hogue's that let the mainspring cap rest on a surface of the grip and a later version where it rested on the little dongle thing that was attached through the pin at the base....make sure you get a set with the later design if this is a concern...

fatdog
04-26-2018, 02:17 PM
The thing that they added to their design is called a "mainspring retainer" on those later generation Hogue's. It is the black thing in the middle of this picture, screws in place independently of the grips for both the wood and polymer versions...reminds me of the plastic retaining device on the latest generation Sig P series in terms of its function to supply a base for the mainspring that is independent of the grips

NH Shooter
04-27-2018, 12:23 PM
Congrats on finding a clean 4506 and getting up and running!

As I've posted before, I purchased a 3rd gen 5906 new. Mine went back to the factory for some work immediately after purchase and it came back like the person who worked on it knew what they were doing. Mine never saw much use, remaining a safe queen. Not a pistol I want to carry but one I certainly still enjoy shooting from time to time...

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/5906-1.jpg

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/5906-2.jpg

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/5906-3.jpg

GardoneVT
04-27-2018, 02:43 PM
Had things gone to plan,there’s be a picture of my 645 with a clean Dot Torture target.

Unfortunately,the right side safety screw detached after the strong hand only drill. :-(

Trooper224
04-27-2018, 05:30 PM
Had things gone to plan,there’s be a picture of my 645 with a clean Dot Torture target.

Unfortunately,the right side safety screw detached after the strong hand only drill. :-(

Ah, the quirks of old guns. Better locktite that bi#@!

Trooper224
04-27-2018, 05:31 PM
Congrats on finding a clean 4506 and getting up and running!

As I've posted before, I purchased a 3rd gen 5906 new. Mine went back to the factory for some work immediately after purchase and it came back like the person who worked on it knew what they were doing. Mine never saw much use, remaining a safe queen. Not a pistol I want to carry but one I certainly still enjoy shooting from time to time...

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/5906-1.jpg

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/5906-2.jpg

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/5906-3.jpg

Very nice example. How long ago did you send it in for work and what was done?

NH Shooter
04-27-2018, 06:36 PM
Very nice example. How long ago did you send it in for work and what was done?

It was sent back within 30 days of purchase (1989 IIRC) to fix weak ejection, a gritty trigger and dismal accuracy. It came back well-repaired on those three counts, to say the least.

Then about five years ago I sent the slide to Novak's for installation of their tritium sites, which were a factory option a few years after I purchased this one. This was just before I took a Rob Pincus course, where I was the only one sporting a 3rd generation Smith. As expected, Rob gave me a bit of grief over my selection of firearms but the 5906 performed admirably.

I'm thinking about a Sparks 55-BN for it, even though I have no plans to carry it. How much sense does that make?

Trooper224
04-27-2018, 06:57 PM
I'm thinking about a Sparks 55-BN for it, even though I have no plans to carry it. How much sense does that make?

About as much sense as the holster I just ordered for mine. (no, it's not a shoulder holster)

Bigghoss
04-27-2018, 07:36 PM
AIM Surplus just got some 915's in. Tempting.

GardoneVT
04-27-2018, 09:07 PM
It was sent back within 30 days of purchase (1989 IIRC) to fix weak ejection, a gritty trigger and dismal accuracy. It came back well-repaired on those three counts, to say the least.

Then about five years ago I sent the slide to Novak's for installation of their tritium sites, which were a factory option a few years after I purchased this one. This was just before I took a Rob Pincus course, where I was the only one sporting a 3rd generation Smith. As expected, Rob gave me a bit of grief over my selection of firearms but the 5906 performed admirably.

Be advised that most Beretta 92 holsters will fit S&W semiautos. My 645 as I type this is holstered in a Miami Classic II originally purchased for my M9.

Trooper224
04-27-2018, 09:27 PM
Be advised that most Beretta 92 holsters will fit S&W semiautos. My 645 as I type this is holstered in a Miami Classic II originally purchased for my M9.

I wish you hadn't said that. :)

Bigghoss
04-27-2018, 09:51 PM
Copper Custom offers kydex for the CHiPs 4006's with options for WML's. I should get one for the heck of it.

medmo
04-27-2018, 11:20 PM
Sweet, great write up and welcome to Miami. I own a 1076 for similar reasons. Enjoy!

TDA
04-28-2018, 02:03 PM
The first pistol I purchased on my brand new pistol permit was a 3913NL, which I carried in a Bianchi #3 Pistol Pocket. Eventually I ended up with a 5906 for IDPA and a 5903 for carry. I hated fat, sticky aftermarket grips but struggled to get enough palm to grip contact as well. One day I was at my local indoor range and some guy a couple of lanes down put one into the overhead and severed the cable that reels the target holder in and out, bringing everything to a halt. I had been trying to drill controlled pairs, and I was “trying harder”, by which I mean doing exactly the same thing that didn’t work the first time while making a face. So during the cease fire, because I’m that guy, I pulled Brian Enos’s book out of my range bag. I was at the point where he talks about pointing your thumbs hard at the target to clamp down your grip. It turned out to be exactly what I needed to shoot 3rd gen S&Ws more effectively.

Trooper224
04-28-2018, 05:01 PM
The first pistol I purchased on my brand new pistol permit was a 3913NL, which I carried in a Bianchi #3 Pistol Pocket. Eventually I ended up with a 5906 for IDPA and a 5903 for carry. I hated fat, sticky aftermarket grips but struggled to get enough palm to grip contact as well. One day I was at my local indoor range and some guy a couple of lanes down put one into the overhead and severed the cable that reels the target holder in and out, bringing everything to a halt. I had been trying to drill controlled pairs, and I was “trying harder”, by which I mean doing exactly the same thing that didn’t work the first time while making a face. So during the cease fire, because I’m that guy, I pulled Brian Enos’s book out of my range bag. I was at the point where he talks about pointing your thumbs hard at the target to clamp down your grip. It turned out to be exactly what I needed to shoot 3rd gen S&Ws more effectively.

That's my normal shooting technique and it works quite well with nearly everything. This beast is just too narrow with the factory grips. At twenty five yards it was, ten ring, ten ring, ten ring, ten ring, torgue!, eight ring. Mother fu@@er! Worse close in during speed drills. The Hoques solve that problem all together so I guess I'll just live with them.

One thing I have realized is, this old warhorse is pretty tired. It's a bit loosey goosey in the tolerances, even though accuracy is excellent and reliability is good unless the slide stop takes a walk. It's an early, first or second year, production sample and I'm sure a former duty weapon at one time. It's been shot quite a bit and I think I'll regulate it to occasional shooter and collectable status. There's a local gun show this weekend and we just received our tax return. I'm going to see if I can find a newer sample in a bit better shape that I can play with, as I really do like the gun. I fills my rice bowl.

GardoneVT
04-28-2018, 05:56 PM
I wish you hadn't said that. :)

I have a tale to share about that exact holster.

When I went back to school years ago it was on the GI Bill,so off campus I routinely carried. One of my classmates asked for a ride home from the bar and being a gentleman I agreed.

Under my hoodie was the Miami Classic II -a brand new design for them that year ,carrying two mags and a certain knockoff Beretta made in Brazil. We got to her place,I walked her to the door and that’s when The Hug happened.

Being that she was a proud and loud liberal , I had visions of police cars and a swat standoff . Or an awkward discussion with a campus Security the following morning. She had something else in mind.

After inviting me in , the lady decreed I take everything off- except the holster. In hindsight, I should have left Galco feedback on Yelp about their new holster.....

Checkman
06-03-2020, 02:43 PM
These were introduced a couple years after Miami Vice went off the air, but They would have fit in just fine.

ViniVidivici
06-04-2020, 06:13 PM
Brings back memories.

Mask Ayoob for a while favored one modified to DAO.

OlongJohnson
06-04-2020, 06:59 PM
Against my better judgement, I have set up a GB search for "4546."

Totem Polar
06-04-2020, 07:11 PM
Brings back memories.

Mas Ayoob for a while favored one modified to DAO.

I had a 3953 once; great gun. I think someone here bought it.