PDA

View Full Version : Collecting Brass/Steel/Aluminum

MTechnik
03-08-2011, 04:31 PM
What creative things have you done to help clean-up?

One time I hung a dog blanket I keep in the car to the side of the enclosure you shoot from, then the bottom was just inside the trash can. About 2/3 of the AR-15 shots ended up hitting the blanket and sliding in to the bucket. Saved me a lot of work.

Now when I shoot steel case, I just bring a roofer's broom (http://www.amazon.com/Rolling-Magnetic-Sweeper-Metal-Magnet/dp/B001CKWOJC).

I wish brass were magnetic.......

So, besides saying "hey, do you reload? want that brass?" how do you make clean-up a breeze?

Kyle Reese
03-08-2011, 04:47 PM
I sweep it forward of the firing line at the NRA Range.

fuse
03-09-2011, 03:39 AM
I sweep it forward of the firing line at the NRA Range.

At this very same range I have been known to sweep it from forward of the line to into my lane. It then mysteriously enters my brass bag, somehow.

turbolag23
03-09-2011, 10:04 AM
At this very same range I have been known to sweep it from forward of the line to into my lane. It then mysteriously enters my brass bag, somehow.

that happens with me as well. i once had a range officer tell me to leave their brass alone, i'm free to take what i brought but not "theirs". i dont frequent that range anymore.

orionz06
03-09-2011, 12:10 PM
I leave it, if indoors I sweep it up. If outdoors the brass gnomes descend from the forest and collect it for themselves.

For classes where brass needs to be patrolled I have debated on steel case and a magnet.

Odin Bravo One
03-09-2011, 12:35 PM
For classes I teach, I usually try to find a couple of local kids looking for a few bucks to put in their pocket. Then offer up to the students that for $2.00-3.00 per student, they can avoid the brass call at the end of the course. Never had a student not willing to pay the $3.00, especially for a 1500 round count carbine course.

For classes I attend, I make sure I have my brass bag and do it the old fashioned way, get down and pick it up. Unless someone else brought out kids for clean up duty, in which case I usually double the "fee". Worth every penny.

My local range has brooms and dustpans.

The brass "broom" rollers, that collect up the brass in the rubber bristles, then dump them into a container are great for all concrete ranges, but there are not many public ranges where they would be useful.

I think maybe I will just start having some kids of my own, space them out a few years apart, and while I would have to wait 5-6 years for them to become truly reliable, I could easily get 14-15 years of solid brass clean up out of them. And save my $3.00 too.

VolGrad
03-09-2011, 12:40 PM
I use one of these at my local club.

http://www.nutwizard.com/?gclid=CN3TraqDwqcCFYh_5Qodt2DiBg

It works like a charm on dirt or hard surfaces .... not so much on gravel though. It doesn't work on the gravel range where I've taken many of my classes. Too bad too given the round count at last weekend's AFHF class.