PDA

View Full Version : Lee Precision Launching New Press--Lee Auto Breech Lock

Tokarev
04-06-2018, 08:12 AM
https://leeprecision.com/auto-breech-lock-pro.html

Price seems good even without the dies and shell plate. I wonder how well it will work. Will this press be a replacement for the tired old Pro 1000 or something that'll be sold alongside the Pro 1000 and the Load Master?

I have little to no experience with the Load Master other than helping a friend set his up. It seemed okay from what little I messed with it but he quickly sold it and bought a Dillon.

The Pro 1000, on the other hand, is something I've been using for years. It has its issues but what's amazing about the Pro is that, as cheap as it is, it can be used to churn out ammo at a pretty good rate. Not the most heavy duty or reliable press on the market by any means but certainly a good little press for someone who doesn't need a commercial grade unit.

So what do you all think? Will the Auto Breech be a decent product or pot metal junk?

entropy
04-06-2018, 08:40 AM
It’s about time they came out with something new. It looks like a cross between the 1000 and the Loadmaster. I frequent an outfit called Titan Reloading up near the Lee facility in WI. Next time through, I’ll have to stop. I’m sure they will have one set up and running.

I’ve caught a LOT of grief over the years with my support of Lee equipment. My first Lee press was a Pro-1000 bought in 1984. It’s STILL on bench downstairs. It’s had a few parts replaced over the years due to wear, but I cannot even imagine how many tens of thousands of rounds that thing has cranked out for me since I bought it at Farm&Fleet. About 2 years ago, the carrier body finally developed a hairline crack in it. I decided to not fix it and get a Loadmaster for my volume work. I’m happy with that too. I continue to use the 1000 frame as a turret press. So...my bench left to right has a Lee Challenger for precision rifle loading, the old 1000 set up as a turret for low volume stuff like .300BO/.357mag/.44spl, and the Loadmaster set up for volume practice rounds for .40, 9mm and the like. Most of my general purpose dies are Lee to. The exception being the Forester and other specialty dies I use for precision rifle. The only other press I might entertain purchasing is a Co-Ax. The folks at Forester make great products that IMHO pretty much sit at the top of the heap.

Tokarev
04-06-2018, 08:54 AM
One odd thing, from looking over the available info, is that this new press does not use an automated primer feeder. Primers need to be either placed in the seater cup one at a time or fed into the cup via the Safety Prime.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Rich@CCC
04-06-2018, 09:01 AM
Looks to be an in between thing.

For the minor price difference, I'd stay with the Load Master. That is, unless this new press does something spectacularly well that is not self evident from the limited info at LP's web site.

I like to set up "tool heads" for my Load Master. I have them ready for 9mm, .45acp, .380, .223/5.56, .300blk and .30-30. Very quick to change caliber and no set up required. I also use the extra station for a Powder COP die on the rifle calibers. Can't do that with the new press.

Again, this may be a fantastic press and I just don't see the advantage. Most of Lee's stuff does exactly what it's supposed to at good prices. I was not fond of the Pro 1000. Didn't like it even a little bit after getting the Load Master. But, it worked and was cheap.

entropy
04-06-2018, 09:02 AM
One odd thing, from looking over the available info, is that this new press does not use an automated primer feeder. Primers need to be either placed in the seater cup one at a time or fed into the cup via the Safety Prime.

No worries! Lee will come up with something dreamed up in an ice fishing shanty on Lake Shawano using a case of Leinenkugle as inspiration. Funny thing is that it will look like your typical Wisconsin homemade trailer you see being towed by a GMC heading “nort” but it will work just fine.

Tokarev
04-06-2018, 04:46 PM
Not in stock yet but surprisingly cheap! Shell plates are showing as less than $20.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0000690900/lee-auto-breech-lock-pro-progressive-press

FPS
04-06-2018, 05:07 PM
$107 is insanely cheap. Is it 4 or 5 stage?

If it is 5 stage and faster than the turret press and works, I’m in.

Tokarev
04-06-2018, 05:21 PM
$107 is insanely cheap. Is it 4 or 5 stage?

If it is 5 stage and faster than the turret press and works, I’m in.Four station so nowhere to use a Powder Cop and/or separate crimp die.

Rich@CCC
04-06-2018, 05:29 PM
It's 4 stage. Where are you seeing it for $107?

Titan has it listed at $124 and after adding the shell plate, powder drop, dies and shipping it comes in at $242.00 and the Load master set up for a pistol caliber is $267.00 delivered from Titan Reloading.

Tokarev
04-06-2018, 05:33 PM
It's 4 stage. Where are you seeing it for $107?

Titan has it listed at $124 and after adding the shell plate, powder drop, dies and shipping it comes in at $242.00 and the Load master set up for a pistol caliber is $267.00 delivered from Titan Reloading.Check my link to Mid South Shooters above. $107 for the press. $18 for shell plate.

Adding dies and a powder measure does lean the press towards other options. I guess Lee figures most interested people have accessories previously used in the Pro 1000 or Turret.

jeep45238
04-06-2018, 05:38 PM
Looks like a 4 hole pro1000, separate seating and crimping.

I really dislike the loadmaster priming system and would pick this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich@CCC
04-06-2018, 05:44 PM
I have a couple observations just from the available pics.
1. The bullet seat station is at the back of the press and may(or may not) be a pain to hand set the bullet.
2. It doesn't look like there would be a line of sight into the case after powder drop for visual verification.

I could be wrong. I probably am wrong, this is based solely on a couple pictures as I could find no vids of the operation.

$.02

Believe me when I say I am not looking for problems. I love my Lee reloading gear.

Rich@CCC
04-06-2018, 05:48 PM
Looks like a 4 hole pro1000, separate seating and crimping.

I really dislike the loadmaster priming system and would pick this

There have been a lot of complaints about the newer Safety Prime system. I have the earlier Safety prime and use it on my single stage with no issues. I also have no issues with the Load Master priming system. You just have to keep a full chute of primers. If you let the chute empty out it stops feeding reliably. I made a LED sensor alarm to let me know when the tray is empty.

Tokarev
04-06-2018, 07:43 PM
$110 @ Midway.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/272349/lee-auto-breech-lock-pro-progressive-press

willie
04-06-2018, 08:20 PM
There is an auto primer feed available called Safety Prime. Hit the link and see it on bottom margin.

Being in no big hurry, I now decap using another a dedicated single stage press. My priming is done off press using a Lee hand primer. This procedure is followed even if I choose a Dillon 550 or Square Deal B or one of my three turret presses for the remainder of the operations. This method permits preparing cases in batches. Also it frees me from the hassle of using auto primer feeds.

Over the years I've used all the major brands of reloading equipment with good success. Lee dies have also served me well.

Tokarev
04-06-2018, 08:27 PM
There is an auto primer feed available called Safety Prime. Hit the link and see it on bottom margin.Not really automatic because the operator needs to manually swing it in each time.

lee n. field
04-06-2018, 08:58 PM
https://leeprecision.com/auto-breech-lock-pro.html

Price seems good even without the dies and shell plate. I wonder how well it will work. Will this press be a replacement for the tired old Pro 1000 or something that'll be sold alongside the Pro 1000 and the Load Master?

The Pro 1000 recently got a design refresh. Pictures on Lee's website now show a different base. I doubt they'll drop it so soon.

I have little to no experience with the Load Master other than helping a friend set his up. It seemed okay from what little I messed with it but he quickly sold it and bought a Dillon

I find if I prime off press, the Loadmaster is a whole lot smoother to work with..

The Pro 1000, on the other hand, is something I've been using for years. It has its issues but what's amazing about the Pro is that, as cheap as it is, it can be used to churn out ammo at a pretty good rate. Not the most heavy duty or reliable press on the market by any means but certainly a good little press for someone who doesn't need a commercial grade unit.

I tried and gave up on the Pro 1000 twice. Traded it straight up to a guy who was similarly tired of his Loadmaster (which I have much less trouble with).

So what do you all think? Will the Auto Breech be a decent product or pot metal junk?

Wait and see.

jeep45238
04-06-2018, 09:38 PM
There have been a lot of complaints about the newer Safety Prime system. I have the earlier Safety prime and use it on my single stage with no issues. I also have no issues with the Load Master priming system. You just have to keep a full chute of primers. If you let the chute empty out it stops feeding reliably. I made a LED sensor alarm to let me know when the tray is empty.

My main concern is the separation from the primer being forced into the case and the rest of the primers, and protection to the reloader.

Had 100 daisy chain on a loadmaster on me when reloading 45 (I’ll never know if it was a primer feed issue or a small primer brass that I missed). There is a shield sold after the fact for $5 to protect the loader in the case of this happening.

Essentially, there’s nothing to prevent a daisy chain from happening on a loadmaster if one goes. With it priming when all the brass is being worked by the dies, there’s no way to feel if something is wrong either.

After that experience, primer separation and feed mechanisms are something I’m critical of from a safety perspective. A carousel is better than the direct lineage system. A slider is even better. Priming movement different from the movement to send brass into dies is great (lets you feel issues).

I am on a 1050 now, and while it does prime when everything is happening, there’s a lot of primer separation and primer tube shielding just in case. I’ll live with that happily.

Tokarev
04-06-2018, 09:42 PM
The Pro 1000 recently got a design....

Good catch on the base update. It looks like the Pro 1000 now has an actual tube to catch spent primers instead of having them fall down inside the press. Is this the same base as used on the new AB?

I still have a Pro 1000 but seldom use it as designed. Mostly nowadays I also prime off press. This allows me to put the powder measure at station one. I put the seater at station two and a FCD at station three. Since the Pro 1000 has a short little throw I can crank out ammo pretty fast. Especially true if I hook up the case feeder.

Tokarev
04-06-2018, 09:49 PM
A carousel is better than the direct lineage system. A slider is even better.

The Hornady Pro Jector used a swinging arm that pivoted a primer from the tube over to the shell plate. The Lock N Load uses a slider that works in a similar manner.

jeep45238
04-06-2018, 10:08 PM
The Hornady Pro Jector used a swinging arm that pivoted a primer from the tube over to the shell plate. The Lock N Load uses a slider that works in a similar manner.

My first press was a single stage on .40 (I do not recommend that combo to start - ever). Then it was the loadmaster.

Then it was a LnL AP. I moved to a dillon 650 after that for the case feed and company support (Hornady refused to sell me certain parts for example - dillon will sell you every piece and gives you the part numbers to do so).

Now I’m at a 1050 and don’t see how much could improve upon it without having a much higher price point.

Tokarev
04-06-2018, 10:14 PM
My first press was a single stage on .40 (I do not recommend that combo to start - ever). Then it was the loadmaster.

Then it was a LnL AP. I moved to a dillon 650 after that for the case feed and company support (Hornady refused to sell me certain parts for example - dillon will sell you every piece and gives you the part numbers to do so).

Now I’m at a 1050 and don’t see how much could improve upon it without having a much higher price point.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkMy first progressive press was a Lee Pro 1000. This was followed a few years later by a Pro Jector.

I love the old Pro Jector. It is a solid old press. It lacks the QD die bushings but those kind of suck anyway.

My main complaint with the LNL is the primer system. I think the old pivoting arm on the PJ was a better unit. It was easy to see and watch and, therefore, see when it was empty or when a primer might be upside down or sideways.

Probably the only real improvement on the LNL is the current shell kicker system. This works better than the arm and later bent piece of wire used on the PJ and older LNL

The only real experience I've had with Dillon presses is with the Square Deal. It did not work well for me.

Rich@CCC
04-07-2018, 07:39 PM
I found a Square Deal set up for 9mm and a 1050 with the automatic bullet feeder set up for .45 acp w/9mm and .223 conversions at the Gun Show today.

$300 for the square deal and $1,500 for the 1050.

No way could I justify $1500 but $300 for the square deal is more reasonable. If they weren't proprietary dies and a PITA to switch calibers I'd seriously consider it.

Tokarev
04-08-2018, 09:45 AM
Here's a short description of the New and Improved Pro 1000

https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-presses/lee-pro-1000

If the indexing/timing point is improved it should mean the priming system will work better. Still gravity fed via that little slide but it should mean the primer has more time to get onto the primer punch before the shell plate indexes. Hopefully.

lee n. field
04-14-2018, 01:03 PM
The Breech Lock Pro is out now, from some vendors. (Titan Reloading has them. Midway does not, yet.)

First Youtube review I've seen, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbWBdYJuQ2E.

Priming is done by a Safety Prime on position 2. Most negative complaints I've seen online seem to focus on that. I think that misses the point.

The indexing rod can be removed, to turn it into a manually advanced progressive. (Dillon 550 works like this, I think.)

When the carrier is down all the way, the shell plate is locked in position by a solid pin coming up from below. Shell plate index adjustments should be a thing of the past.

Now to find a home for my Loadmaster....

LittleLebowski
04-14-2018, 02:26 PM
Tag, interesting.

Tokarev
04-14-2018, 02:50 PM
Priming is done by a Safety Prime on position 2. Most negative complaints I've seen online seem to focus on that. I think that misses the point.

The indexing rod can be removed, to turn it into a manually advanced progressive. (Dillon 550 works like this, I think.)

Maybe Lee's intended market is the 550 crowd. It does appear the press has some of the same capabilities with the index rod removed.

Still, I'd think most users would welcome some sort of automated primer feed, even if the feed is an upgrade.

LittleLebowski
04-14-2018, 03:14 PM
No primer feed, even an add on one, makes it truly not a progressive and is a deal killer.

FPS
04-14-2018, 03:31 PM
So you have to prime with your left hand and then place a bullet with your right? I think I would rather pay a couple hundred more and move up to a Hornady LNL

Tokarev
04-14-2018, 04:06 PM
No primer feed, even an add on one, makes it truly not a progressive and is a deal killer.Yeah. I guess this leaves me kind of scratching my head.

Lee has the entry level market pretty well covered, at least I thought. Why I make a new press that's also basically an entry-level product? Without an automatic primer feeder, this new press doesn't seem to be much different then the 4 hole turret.

Tokarev
04-14-2018, 04:09 PM
So you have to prime with your left hand and then place a bullet with your right? I think I would rather pay a couple hundred more and move up to a Hornady LNLThe press could be set up so that the right-hand can remain on the loading handle.

https://youtu.be/zGK8_SEVN2o

Tokarev
04-15-2018, 11:32 AM
Stolen from Titan Reloading's Facebook page:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180415/65ef7868a1174e5249f2049019952c62.jpg

LittleLebowski
04-15-2018, 11:33 AM
I need to see a video of the primer operation.

ranger
04-15-2018, 11:39 AM
I started off a long time ago with Lee 1000s - one in 45, one in 9, and one 38 Special. I loaded a LOT of rounds on those presses and literally wore them out. They were cheap and effective for the price. I like Lee dies and use them for rifle and pistol.

I moved to Dillon Square Deals and 550s. I hope Lee great success with their new press but I doubt I will be leaving my 550 for one.

jeep45238
04-15-2018, 11:45 AM
I need to see a video of the primer operation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbWBdYJuQ2E

With some goodies. Skip to the 17:30 or so mark

Rich@CCC
04-15-2018, 11:46 AM
LL,
There's a video from Eagle Eye Shooting that does the whole un boxing, set up and short operational sequence which shows the safety prime in use.

It works just like the safety prime installed on any of the Lee single stage presses.

This looks like a decent press and better option than the Pro 1000 but the manual(semi auto)primer feed and loss of a station from the Load Master makes it a no go for me. It's just a case of the minimal price difference doesn't out weigh the limitations this time.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I've never had any problems to speak of with my Load Master.

ETA: Jeep beat me to it!

LittleLebowski
04-15-2018, 03:54 PM

With some goodies. Skip to the 17:30 or so mark

Wow. No thanks.

Tokarev
04-15-2018, 07:49 PM
LL,
There's a video from Eagle Eye Shooting that does the whole un boxing, set up and short operational sequence which shows the safety prime in use.

It works just like the safety prime installed on any of the Lee single stage presses.

This looks like a decent press and better option than the Pro 1000 but the manual(semi auto)primer feed and loss of a station from the Load Master makes it a no go for me. It's just a case of the minimal price difference doesn't out weigh the limitations this time.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I've never had any problems to speak of with my Load Master.

ETA: Jeep beat me to it!My only experience with the Load Master was helping a friend set one up. It all went into action without too much fuss and I helped him load a few rounds to get a feel for everything. He was new to reloading so, when I was leaving, I told him to take it easy until he got a feel for it. I specifically remember telling him not to force anything and to give me a call if he needed help.

I did get a call that evening. He'd had a primer jam that resulted in a detonation. It scared him bad enough that he immediately got rid of the Lee and bought a Dillon 650. It never gave him any issues.

LEE stuff can be a good value and some of their products I like really well. But the primer systems on all their presses, in my opinion, are the weak spots.

Nowadays, when I do occasionally load on my Pro 1000, I prime off press. This allows me to set the powder measure at Stage One, the bullet seater at Stage Two and a crimp die at Stage Three. In this manner I can really crank out some ammo once I've gone through the work of sizing and priming the press.

Tokarev
04-15-2018, 09:04 PM
https://youtu.be/ZqO1YRnkqCg

Hambo
04-16-2018, 06:28 AM
I watched a couple of the linked videos and the primer thing looks like it came out of a toilet tank rebuild kit.

LittleLebowski
04-16-2018, 06:49 AM
I watched a couple of the linked videos and the primer thing looks like it came out of a toilet tank rebuild kit.

Hopefully the free market will respond as it would be nice to have a decent progressive for $200-ish.

jeep45238
04-16-2018, 06:52 AM
My only experience with the Load Master was helping a friend set one up. It all went into action without too much fuss and I helped him load a few rounds to get a feel for everything. He was new to reloading so, when I was leaving, I told him to take it easy until he got a feel for it. I specifically remember telling him not to force anything and to give me a call if he needed help.

I did get a call that evening. He'd had a primer jam that resulted in a detonation. I

In fairness, the weakpoint of the Loadmaster is how the primers rest against each other with no real seperation from the one being seated. The one being seated happens when all other pieces of brass are being worked, making it neigh impossible to tell if there's a problem with the primer itself.

The Hornady LnL and Dillon 650 primer on the downstroke, so you feel only the primer being seated. The Dillon 1050 seats when all the other brass is getting worked, but has a solid steel slider that effectively seperates the primer stack from the one being seated.

That's the sole reason why I do not recommend the Loadmaster. Been there, done that.

entropy
04-16-2018, 07:30 AM
In 30+ years of running a 1000 and now a Loadmaster, I have never had a primer detonate. The key to efficiently operating any progressive press is to understand how it works mechanically and keep an eye on it as it operates. If something isnt indexed properly, you stop, take a look at what the issue is, clear it and continue.

Tokarev
04-16-2018, 07:52 AM
In 30+ years of running a 1000 and now a Loadmaster, I have never had a primer detonate. The key to efficiently operating any progressive press is to understand how it works mechanically and keep an eye on it as it operates. If something isnt indexed properly, you stop, take a look at what the issue is, clear it and continue.

The above is true with any press.

The problem with the Pro 1000's priming system, in my experience, is where the Press indexes. The shell plate has very little time to rotate over the primer before the primer punch is lifting a primer to meet the case. If the timing is off just a little bit the primers get tipped.

I've found that keeping the slider portion full at all times is key as is watching for full primer stack movement as the press indexes. Also trying to make sure the index is set and checked periodically helps.

LEE appears to possibly have a fix for this timing issue with the new Pro 1000 update. I hope that's the case. I haven't seen a new P1000 in person but it appears now to use a pin that pops up through the shell plate rather than a big BB as an index stop. The new shell plates have three large holes drilled through for this new stop/index pin.

Regarding the Auto Breech; seeing that it has a primer system that's a complete afterthought I don't think one will find a place on my bench. At least not for loading. The press might have some usefulness for processing brass.

entropy
04-16-2018, 08:09 AM
That’s one of the items I scan as the plate indexes. As soon as the primer tray is emptied and can be removed from the chute, it would get pulled and filled. Every system out there, no matter the color, has its issues. I think some folks (not saying here) forget that you’re basically dealing with an explosives dispenser, not a Keurig machine.

jeep45238
04-16-2018, 12:40 PM

True - but sometimes you do not feel resistance or experience an improper index and a problem occurs.

I suspect the primer detonation I had on a Loadmaster was due to missing a small pistol primer .45acp, but it could have been a failed decaping/two primers stacked at once/crushed sideways primer. Either way there was nothing different in the feel of the press, largely because every other operation is happening simultaneously at once. This resulted in a daisy chain which turned the primer reservoir into a miniature explosive sending shrapnel at my friend's face. Thankfully pride and minor lacerations was all that was injured. I do believe that if a Loadmaster is used, it is imperative to install a blast shield around the primers as insurance if something occurs. At that point in my life I was shooting 200 rounds a day, and had been loading on the Loadmaster for almost two years.

After that I was adamant about sticking with presses that prime separate from everything else. I've gone away from that recently and have gotten a Dillon 1050, but due to a primer swager and the primer separation from the primer stack that is contained in a blast shield, the danger is mitigated.

Tokarev
04-16-2018, 05:19 PM
I sent LEE Customer Service an email asking why they chose to use a manually-fed (or manually operated) primer system on this new press. Below is the response.

I kind of read this as almost, "Historically, our primer feed systems have not been the best so we just gave up. If you want to prime your brass in a hurry, buy one of our hand priming tools." LOL.

In LEE's defense, I often prime off press using either a Hornady or Lee hand priming tool. But that's usually only when I'm working with swaged military brass.

Thank you for your feed back. While we term the new press as a progressive, it's intended market is for all levels of reloaders, and can be modified to the user's preference. It can be used as a single stage, and later on down the road, should the user want to increase their production, they are able to using the same press in a more progressive manner, depending on what accessories they are comfortable with. Because so many people have an issue with primer feeding on the progressive presses, we decided to use the single stage press feeder.

Thank You,

Laine
Customer Service
Lee Precision, Inc.
4275 Highway U
Hartford, WI 53027
phone: 262-673-3075
fax: 262-673-9273

Rich@CCC
04-16-2018, 08:19 PM
I kinda figured that was the reason for the Safety Prime. The number one complaint about lee presses is the primer feed. Of course that is also the number one complaint about most of the progressive press from any manufacturer.

Tokarev
04-16-2018, 08:42 PM
What would be interesting, keeping in mind that I haven't actually seen one of these presses and don't know how sturdy it is, might be a primer swage plug that would replace the primer arm. This would allow for processing brass on the press progressively.

Along these lines, I wonder if it would be possible to mount up a motorized case trimmer. If either or both of these is possible I can see buying one of these presses to use as a dedicated processing machine.

LittleLebowski
04-16-2018, 08:48 PM
The option to upgrade to a real priming system would have been nice. I wonder if this is really better than the Classic Turret (seriously, I don’t know).

Tokarev
04-16-2018, 09:14 PM
The option to upgrade to a real priming system would have been nice. I wonder if this is really better than the Classic Turret (seriously, I don’t know).That's hard to say. The presses share a similar base price but cartridge conversions will be cheaper with the Turret since each conversion won't need a $20 shell plate.

Theoretically the Breech Loader will be faster since each pull of the handle will produce a loaded round. Priming will be just as slow on either machine.

willie
04-17-2018, 05:44 AM
One neat use of the Breech Loader is rapid sizing and decapping of a batch of cases. Once sized and decapped, the batch can be primed off-press and then loaded progressively. Operated in this manner, the press should produce loaded rounds at a much faster rate than the turret version. Also this method circumvents using Lee's priming system, which appears to be an afterthought.

LittleLebowski
04-17-2018, 05:45 AM
One neat use of the Breech Loader is rapid sizing and decapping of a batch of cases. Once sized and decapped, the batch can be primed off-press and then loaded progressively. Operated in this manner, the press should produce loaded rounds at a much faster rate than the turret version. Also this method circumvents using Lee's priming system, which appears to be an afterthought.

To me, "priming off of the press" means not a progressive reloader.

Tokarev
04-17-2018, 10:11 AM
Well, maybe someone like Inline Fabrication will come up with an adapter that allows mounting a non-Lee priming system to this press.

Rich@CCC
04-17-2018, 10:11 AM
To me, "priming off of the press" means not a progressive reloader.

I'm with you on that, but there seems to a majority who prefer priming off the press, even when loading on a progressive.

I do see this new press as a good "My First Loading Press". If I hadn't already got my Load master tweaked(and it did take a little tweaking) and running smooth, I'd consider it.

entropy
04-17-2018, 11:39 AM
I will probably be up thru The Hartford, WI area within the next week or so. I plan on stopping into Titan and taking a look. I dont need another press, but can usually find something to buy when Im in there. Lol

LittleLebowski
04-17-2018, 12:19 PM
I'm with you on that, but there seems to a majority who prefer priming off the press, even when loading on a progressive.

I do see this new press as a good "My First Loading Press". If I hadn't already got my Load master tweaked(and it did take a little tweaking) and running smooth, I'd consider it.

On your first statement, those guys are probably retired and not short on free time.

Agreed on your second statement, I hope this press works well.

Tokarev
04-17-2018, 02:14 PM
The other "benefit" to priming off press is that it allows the operator to prime up an unlimited amount of brass that can then be loaded without having to stop every 100 rounds to refill the tube.

jeep45238
04-17-2018, 02:41 PM
The other "benefit" to priming off press is that it allows the operator to prime up an unlimited amount of brass that can then be loaded without having to stop every 100 rounds to refill the tube.

Assuming a case feeder of some sort, then more time is spent handling each case by hand and then in bulk vs only in bulk. I’m assuming that someone can peck 100 primers faster than fill a tray and flip, then handle 100 pieces of brass. This is especially true if a primer tube filler is involved along with the case feeder.

I also can’t see putting 1-100 primers above my hand while shoving them into the primer pocket. Doesn’t seem like a very safe idea (and I believe there’s a thread about that on here).

Tokarev
04-17-2018, 02:59 PM
Assuming a case feeder of some sort, then more time is spent handling each case by hand and then in bulk vs only in bulk. I’m assuming that someone can peck 100 primers faster than fill a tray and flip, then handle 100 pieces of brass. This is especially true if a primer tube filler is involved along with the case feeder.

I also can’t see putting 1-100 primers above my hand while shoving them into the primer pocket. Doesn’t seem like a very safe idea (and I believe there’s a thread about that on here).I saw the thread with the blown up Hornady hand priming tool. Yikes!

I use a Hornady priming tool (same as the one that blew up) and have had good experiences with it. But I haven't had a primer go off while using it. I'm sure my opinion would change immediately in a case like that.

The other hand priming tool I use is the Lee Ergo Prime. It doesn't have the leverage the Hornady does so it can take more perceived force to seat. What it does have is a primer seater that is separated from the tray. Again, I haven't popped a primer using the Lee but believe it would be one of the safer options on the market in this regard.

Handling brass again is a bit of a slowdown. However, once I have a rhythm set I can feed them into the shell plate quickly.

Priming off press isn't ideal but it does save the aggravation of dealing with loaded rounds with smashed, tilted, upside down or missing primers.

Rich@CCC
04-17-2018, 04:14 PM

I also can’t see putting 1-100 primers above my hand while shoving them into the primer pocket. Doesn’t seem like a very safe idea (and I believe there’s a thread about that on here).emphasis added

This is where I feel that Lee's Load Master shines.(I know about the possibility of a chain fire if one manages to pop a primer on the press. It hasn't happened to me in many many thousands of rounds loaded, but I know it's possible. The blast shield is $5.00) Once the Load master priming system is tweaked(very little to do but a basic fluff and buff) it runs very reliably as long as you keep the feed chute full.(If you can't pay close enough attention to the process to do that, you probably shouldn't be reloading.) No feed tubes to load, no extra $300.00 piece of equipment to load the feed tubes. Just open the feed tray, dump a flat of primers, give a shake or two, replace the cover and stick the tray back on the chute. It takes all of 30 seconds to load another 100 primers and keep loading.

jeep45238
04-17-2018, 04:20 PM
emphasis added

This is where I feel that Lee's Load Master shines.(I know about the possibility of a chain fire if one manages to pop a primer on the press. It hasn't happened to me in many many thousands of rounds loaded, but I know it's possible. The blast shield is $5.00) Once the Load master priming system is tweaked(very little to do but a basic fluff and buff) it runs very reliably as long as you keep the feed chute full.(If you can't pay close enough attention to the process to do that, you probably shouldn't be reloading.) No feed tubes to load, no extra $300.00 piece of equipment to load the feed tubes. Just open the feed tray, dump a flat of primers, give a shake or two, replace the cover and stick the tray back on the chute. It takes all of 30 seconds to load another 100 primers and keep loading.

True - I'll counter that a large capacity motorized case feeder on competitor brands evens it out :-) THe price point is not the same, but any mechanized sorting procedure, especially at volume, will pay dividends.

timotab
04-17-2018, 10:55 PM
My Breech Lock Pro gets here Thursday. I'll report back. Right now I use an LCT and a hybrid LCT/1000 (1000 carrier on an LCT frame). I've found the safety prime system to be quick and reliable. With a case feeder mounted I hope to be cranking at 550 speeds.

Tokarev
04-18-2018, 06:52 AM
My Breech Lock Pro gets here Thursday. I'll report back. Right now I use an LCT and a hybrid LCT/1000 (1000 carrier on an LCT frame). I've found the safety prime system to be quick and reliable. With a case feeder mounted I hope to be cranking at 550 speeds.Let us know what you think once you get the press.

Curious about your hybrid press. What advantage does using a Pro 1000 carrier and Turret frame have over just using a Pro 1000?

timotab
04-18-2018, 11:14 AM
Rigidity, leverage and spent primer disposal are the main benefits.

Tokarev
04-19-2018, 07:30 AM
I see Inline Fabrication has a riser mount for the ABLP.

https://inlinefabrication.com/products/ultramount-for-lee-auto-breech-lock-pro

Tokarev
04-19-2018, 10:24 AM
I've been exchanging emails with Lee customer service to express my dissatisfaction with the Safety Prime.

It turns out there's a new and improved version that's been available since July 2017. This one in distinguished by its gray primer feed pieces.

timotab
04-19-2018, 10:25 PM
Got it setup and my initial impressions are favorable. Spent most of my time fitting it to my Inline Fab riser and bench. Only loaded 50 or so. Will report back after I've put a few hundred through it.

Tokarev
04-19-2018, 10:26 PM
Got it setup and my initial impressions are favorable. Spent most of my time fitting it to my Inline Fab riser and bench. Only loaded 50 or so. Will report back after I've put a few hundred through it.Are you feeding primers by hand? By finger, actually.

Lester Polfus
04-19-2018, 10:59 PM
I've been exchanging emails with Lee customer service to express my dissatisfaction with the Safety Prime.

It turns out there's a new and improved version that's been available since July 2017. This one in distinguished by its gray primer feed pieces.

Reeeeaaaalllly....

I bought my LCT and assorted bits and bobs sometime last September, but I've got the white plastic pieces so that must have been old stock. I may have to upgrade.

Thank you.

timotab
04-19-2018, 11:12 PM
Are you feeding primers by hand? By finger, actually.

Using the safety prime 2.0.

timotab
04-21-2018, 04:28 PM
About 500 rounds so far. Indexing has been excellent. Having that 4th station is nice. Case feeder works well. Case retainers work well. Priming has been good. Only issue I've ran into is with the spent primer tube. At the ram up position the tube makes contact with the ram linkage. This tweaks the tube and the clip that connect it to the ram enough to allow the occasional primer to escape. I put a zip tie on it and the issue went away.

Tokarev
04-21-2018, 04:33 PM
About 500 rounds so far. Indexing has been excellent. Having that 4th station is nice. Case feeder works well. Case retainers work well. Priming has been good. Only issue I've ran into is with the spent primer tube. At the ram up position the tube makes contact with the ram linkage. This tweaks the tube and the clip that connect it to the ram enough to allow the occasional primer to escape. I put a zip on it and the issue went away.
25625Can you make a short cell phone video and post it?

timotab
04-21-2018, 05:15 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh2UpTXhJ_a/

FPS
04-21-2018, 06:44 PM
Thanks for posting that. Looks pretty smooth. Case feeder seems like a must to keep right hand on the handle and left hand working the priming and bullet seating.

I actually don't mind the safety prime, it has worked well for me on the LCT. I like how the newer version is actually square to properly fit the manufacturer packaging on the primers.

Did you buy a new Inline Fab riser mount or retrofit an old one? I have the LCT set up on one now and wonder if that will work.

So for caliber changes, assuming dies are already owned and you move around the powder measure, it would basically cost a shellplate (~$19) and 4 bushings (~$16) or $35 correct?

What's your die setup at each stage? I seat and crimp on the last stage since I use a powder check. I am wondering on this machine if that would make it hard to reach to place the bullet at the last stage.

What would you say your speed is on this compared with the turret?

timotab
04-21-2018, 07:06 PM
Thanks for posting that. Looks pretty smooth. Case feeder seems like a must to keep right hand on the handle and left hand working the priming and bullet seating.

I actually don't mind the safety prime, it has worked well for me on the LCT. I like how the newer version is actually square to properly fit the manufacturer packaging on the primers.

Did you buy a new Inline Fab riser mount or retrofit an old one? I have the LCT set up on one now and wonder if that will work.

So for caliber changes, assuming dies are already owned and you move around the powder measure, it would basically cost a shellplate (~$19) and 4 bushings (~$16) or $35 correct?

What's your die setup at each stage? I seat and crimp on the last stage since I use a powder check. I am wondering on this machine if that would make it hard to reach to place the bullet at the last stage.

What would you say your speed is on this compared with the turret?

The riser is for the LCT, I had to drill 1 hole, the other 2 lined up.

Correct on caliber changes.

1. Size/deprime
2. Powder drop and bell case mouth
3. Seat
4. Crimp with Lee DVD

Not sure about seating on the 4th station. Might have to use your right hand. I'll check later and let you know.

timotab
04-21-2018, 09:13 PM
There's room to feed bullets on the 4th stage with your left hand, at least for me. Might be an issue if you have large hands.

FPS
04-21-2018, 09:29 PM
There's room to feed bullets on the 4th stage with your left hand, at least for me. Might be an issue if you have large hands.

Thanks for checking on that. Do you feel it would significantly slow down reloading this way vs stage 3 seating or is there enough room to seat it fairly quickly?

timotab
04-22-2018, 09:32 AM
Thanks for checking on that. Do you feel it would significantly slow down reloading this way vs stage 3 seating or is there enough room to seat it fairly quickly?

I think it would be about as fast as on the video.

Tokarev
04-22-2018, 09:37 AM
Reaching behind the press to set the bullet looks a little awkward. I wonder if Lee has improved the little gravity fed bullet feeder.

Can you see inside the case to check powder levels?

timotab
04-22-2018, 03:01 PM
Reaching behind the press to set the bullet looks a little awkward. I wonder if Lee has improved the little gravity fed bullet feeder.

Can you see inside the case to check powder levels?

Yes.

Tokarev
04-23-2018, 04:16 PM
https://youtu.be/dtNQ2bkFiAc

timotab
04-23-2018, 07:26 PM
I'm at about 700 right now and am very pleased. Best value in reloading along the the LCT.

jeep45238
04-23-2018, 07:28 PM
Sent this to my buddy. He’s coming from a single stage and is excited

Tokarev
04-23-2018, 07:28 PM
I'm at about 700 right now and am very pleased. Best value in reloading along the the LCT.Nice. That's some good feedback right there.

What are you loading and have you switched calibers yet? What upgrades would you like to add now that you've used it?

timotab
04-23-2018, 09:56 PM
Just 9 right now. Once the dies are setup caliber changes will be very easy. No fiddling with indexing, primer changes just like the LCT.

richiecotite
04-25-2018, 07:48 PM
Anyone have a link to a retailer that has them in stock?

Paso Quito
04-26-2018, 04:08 PM
Titan Reloading is showing them in stock again.

https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-precision-reloading-equipment/lee-presses/lee-breech-lock-pro/lee-breech-lock-pro-press

LittleLebowski
04-26-2018, 08:34 PM
Anyone have a link to a retailer that has them in stock?

Come over to the house sometime if you want to check out a 650.

FPS
04-26-2018, 10:08 PM
Ordered. At that low of a price, it is worth a shot. If I can double the speed of the LCT and it works, I will be a happy camper.

Tokarev
04-26-2018, 10:58 PM
Ordered. At that low of a price, it is worth a shot. If I can double the speed of the LCT and it works, I will be a happy camper.I haven't ordered one yet although I'm tempted to.

richiecotite
04-27-2018, 01:03 AM
I ordered from Kempf, with shell plates for 9/40 and 38.

I’ve been looking at adding something faster than the LCT I use for lower volume stuff. The 550 is setup for 9mm, and I’d prefer to not have to mess around with changing dies for 40 or 357.

Ive got a bunch of 40 components I’d like to use up while also loading 9mm, and for less than $200 all in, this seems like it will fit the bill
LittleLebowski I might have to take you up on checking out the 650.

LittleLebowski
04-27-2018, 07:27 AM
I ordered from Kempf, with shell plates for 9/40 and 38.

I’ve been looking at adding something faster than the LCT I use for lower volume stuff. The 550 is setup for 9mm, and I’d prefer to not have to mess around with changing dies for 40 or 357.

Ive got a bunch of 40 components I’d like to use up while also loading 9mm, and for less than $200 all in, this seems like it will fit the bill
LittleLebowski I might have to take you up on checking out the 650.

Mi casa su casa. I need to order some bullets. We can always bang on my Scorpion Evo in the backyard :cool:

FPS
05-06-2018, 12:57 AM
Set up the press today and cannot find the case ejector or spent primer tube setup anywhere. I think someone forgot to include them or I am going blind.

Overall the press seems decent with a mix of good steel parts and really cheap feeling plastic. You can kind of tell they were trying to shave costs wherever they felt it wouldnt matter.

Will reprt back once I get it actually up and running.

Tokarev
05-19-2018, 08:24 AM
Will reprt back once I get it actually up and running.

Any updates?

FPS
05-19-2018, 02:28 PM
- Lee responded quickly and sent missing parts very fast
- Small primer arm seems to be binding at times with the shellplate. At first I thought it was getting stuck in the primer pocket but upon research, sounds like the binding has been a problem in the past on other machines. I have had it do it several times without a case in the shellplate.
- Case feeder seems to work well in my very limited testing
- Adding a round to stage 4 is a little awkward and slow but need to run it more.

I just havent given it enough time to troubleshoot the issues. Its kind of been a “more Lee issues” kind of thing. I can probably get it worked out with enough time and energy. Not ready to give up on it yet.

FPS
05-19-2018, 07:40 PM
Spent a bit more time with it today:

- Binding seems to be gone. Tested with and without cases. I am wondering if something got out of alignment during die set up due to short stroking.
- Priming system is a bit gimpy. Had several primers fall (using the new, grey triangle primer system). Need to do some more adjusting there.

Right now I am feeling it has potential but I won't really know until I use it in full progressive mode and have at least a couple thousand rounds through it.

willie
05-19-2018, 11:07 PM
The part that drives turning the shell plate and makes it automatic may have some type hitch. Perhaps removing and reinstalling may cure all. You'll see a plastic gear designed to break before something else does.
Thanks for the report and keep us informed.

Tokarev
06-16-2018, 12:58 PM
FPS

Do you have any additional info for us? Thank you.

FPS
08-13-2018, 05:56 PM
Sorry it took awhile to get back to this. Finally fired off my first 100 rds I loaded on the press. Had 1 rd with an overcharge that bulged the case and seized up the cylinder (mild .357 mag loads, no harm done but first one I've ever had in thousands of rounds loaded). Not sure how that happened since I have a Hornady powder check die but with all the futzing trying to get the press to work smoothly it is possible I missed it with some of the alterations I made having to move the cases backward to redo some stations and didn't look at the powder check die on this round.

I need more time on it to give you a really good run down to see if I can get used to the setup. My current impressions is that it is probably an improvement over the turret press if it ends up working consistently. However, my view of Lee products keeps decreasing. I guess they are fine if you are committed to a certain price point but compared my Dillon XL 650, I am beginning to believe (against my nature that always wants bang for the buck solutions) that I really should buy once, cry once and be happy with higher quality products at higher prices. The Dillon XL 650 setup wasn't cheap, but every time I use it I think how glad I am that I made the purchase. Maybe I wouldn't be so thrilled if I had to deal with caliber changes though...

Redhat
08-14-2018, 09:11 PM
I have only ever used one press...the Lee Classic Turret and I have nothing bad to say about it. I think they hit it out of the park with that one.

Having said that, some of Lee's gadgets seem to be better than others and I assume that to be the case with anyone that makes reloading equipment. I'll let others try out the newest press but it appears to me that some Lee presses are great...if you're a tinkerer, which I am not.

willie
08-14-2018, 11:45 PM
Of course, I know that no one is comparing the Lee to a Dillon. We all are aware that they are so far apart that they are almost mutually exclusive in terms of category. However, for Dillon owners the Lee can fit a niche. It's useful for small quantity loading of calibers not frequently used. It would serve very well to decap or to size and decap brass for use on the Dillon. Processing brass on the Lee avoids "dumping" primer pocket debris into the Dillon's mechanism.

When Lee introduced the Classic Cast Turret, they outdid themselves. Mine is most useful. I suspect that this press will do nicely for the man or woman wishing to load small quantities without hair pulling, cursing, screaming, or beating the press flat with a sledge hammer. All jokes aside, I have high hopes for the new Lee progressive and may buy one after the beta testers have done their job.

richiecotite
09-05-2018, 04:51 PM
Over the last week I’ve loaded a few hundred and have spent hours mucking around (not the machines fault my R room is a gotdamn pigsty and I couldn’t figure out which press I wanted to use)
mtnbkr and me hit the range last week to do some snub practice. I needed to load 38. The last time I loaded 38 was before I got the Lee progressive, and I usually small batch on the Lee Classic Turret with my 550b other set for 9mm or 45. I also installed the Lee bench plate mounting system; all you hav to do is bolt a plate onto the bottom of your press and “lock” plate to your bench. You slide the press in, screw down 4 nuts, and our press is setup. In my experience not a bad system at all.

Once I got it dialed in I was cranked out about 200 over the course of an hour. For reference I do about 120 round per hour on LCT and 300-350 on my Dillon.

It a little awkward seating bullets as you have to almost reach behind the press to get to the charged case, but it’s not bad once you get use to it.
What does suck are the die bushings. A pox to whoever invented those.

There’s more moving pieces and more steps to mess up compared to the 550 or LCT. I see this as a great press for someone that wants to move up from the LCT to something that produces more but doesn’t want to shell out the money for a Dillon. It’s also a good press or someone that wants a second press they can load a few hundred rounds with at a time.

I specifically bought mine because I have a glut of 40 cal And .358 bullets i need to load and shoot, but I don’t want to mess with my 550 or pay $50 plus for a caliber kit from Dillon.

All in all, I like it an feel it’s a good deal go the price.

lee n. field
09-08-2018, 11:07 AM
What does suck are the die bushings. A pox to whoever invented those.

Not a big fan, myself. If I need to remove a die for whatever reason, often the die will just start unscrewing from the bushing. I think I will probably start using full sets of the "lock ring eliminator" (bushing plus integral lock ring with set screw).

Tokarev
02-07-2019, 08:41 AM
All in all, I like it an feel it’s a good deal go the price.

How's the press running almost a year later?

richiecotite
02-07-2019, 10:56 AM

The press still works and fits my needs well.

Like I mentioned, I bought it as a secondary to my 550b, which is setup 90% of the time with 9mm and 10% of the time 45acp. A year later, It's still setup for 38. I reloaded about 100 rounds of 40 s&w back in the summer, but it's almost exclusively set for 38. I've loaded maybe 800 rounds total through it. After getting to spend a little time with it there are things i like and things I dislike about it.

-Price is outstanding for what you get. The shell plates can be used for multiple calibers vs. the 550.
-Lee bracket system has worked well for me so far on this and and an LCT I have setup for rifle rounds.
-Press runs smooth and comes with a roller style handle
-Can be upgraded with a case feeder and bullet feeder for less than $100 (I haven't done it as that's outside of my needs for now)

-Wish it had a removable toolhead vs. bushings.
-Harder to get into rhythm as the process is different and requires an extra step with the left hand to prime, and give stage 3 a reacharound to add the bullet. I still don't like that as it's awkward and slows things down some.
-All the plastic on it makes it feel cheap

Overall, it's a great value. If this had come out before I outgrew my LCT I would have gotten this and been none the wiser. This would be a good press for someone going through 600+ rounds per month of various pistol calibers. I imagine with the different feeders and practice 100 rounds in 12 minutes for around $250 all setup.

LittleLebowski
02-07-2019, 11:07 AM
The press still works and fits my needs well.

Like I mentioned, I bought it as a secondary to my 550b, which is setup 90% of the time with 9mm and 10% of the time 45acp. A year later, It's still setup for 38. I reloaded about 100 rounds of 40 s&w back in the summer, but it's almost exclusively set for 38. I've loaded maybe 800 rounds total through it. After getting to spend a little time with it there are things i like and things I dislike about it.

-Price is outstanding for what you get. The shell plates can be used for multiple calibers vs. the 550.
-Lee bracket system has worked well for me so far on this and and an LCT I have setup for rifle rounds.
-Press runs smooth and comes with a roller style handle
-Can be upgraded with a case feeder and bullet feeder for less than $100 (I haven't done it as that's outside of my needs for now)

-Wish it had a removable toolhead vs. bushings.
-Harder to get into rhythm as the process is different and requires an extra step with the left hand to prime, and give stage 3 a reacharound to add the bullet. I still don't like that as it's awkward and slows things down some.
-All the plastic on it makes it feel cheap

Overall, it's a great value. If this had come out before I outgrew my LCT I would have gotten this and been none the wiser. This would be a good press for someone going through 600+ rounds per month of various pistol calibers. I imagine with the different feeders and practice 100 rounds in 12 minutes for around $250 all setup.

Wow, excellent review, my friend.

lee n. field
02-07-2019, 06:33 PM

I've run one since May or June.

The manual primer feed seems to need attention now and then. Disassemble, smooth whatever is rough, reassemble.

I have had (one instance) spent primers clog up at the top of the disposal tube and build up under the shell plate at the first station.

Other than that, no problems.

I am not a high volume shooter, and I do not at this time use either the case feeder or the bullet feeder.

Tokarev
02-10-2019, 11:02 AM
I guess I'm still somewhat confused by this little press and what it offers over something like the Turret or Pro 1000. It is going to be faster than the Turret and it offers an extra die station than the Pro but the afterthought primer feeder has me scratching my head.

Is the stroke on the press long enough to load 308, 6.5 CM etc? If so, that's an obvious improvement over the Pro.

Anyway, I have used the Pro with great effect to load sized and primed pistol brass. Especially with the case feeder and case collation hopper. Place the powder die in station one, the seater die in station two and a crimp die in station three and the little press will really churn out the ammo. Of course the down side is your brass has to be sized and primed on another press and/or adds a couple more steps to the loading process.

willie
02-12-2019, 01:56 AM
Can't you install the resize die only and run hulls through it at a rapid pace and then prime off press with a tray equipped priming tool?

Tokarev
02-23-2019, 10:35 AM
Can't you install the resize die only and run hulls through it at a rapid pace and then prime off press with a tray equipped priming tool?A similar option might be to use something like a Pro 1000 just for sizing and priming. I don't know if I'd buy a Pro 1000 just for this use but it might be a good option if you already have one that sits in a box under your bench.

Whirlwind06
04-26-2019, 09:28 AM
I have the Lee classic turret press and at one time had the Pro-1000.

I had a lot of problems with priming and light powder throws with the 1000. I had up until that time used just a single stage press.
and maybe it was to much of a step up for me. Should have gotten the turret press.

Anyways, after way to many light powder throws and me tapping bullets out of the the barrels of my revolvers I sold the 1000 and bought 2 more single stage presses and deprimed the brass and hand primed them as I was either watching TV, or while sitting in a guard box at my part time job.
Then with 3 presses I could finish the loading process and have pretty good quality rounds.

So then I upgraded to a 4 hole turret and with some tweaks with the safety prime I was able to do all of the steps at one time.
With the turret press the safety prime is right in front of the press and I could get a clean primer drop 99% of the time.
But it's still 4 pulls to make 1 finished round.

I just bought the Lee Auto Breech Lock press with the case feed and case collator. After getting it set up I quickly realized that for me the safety prime set up was going to be a problem. It's off the left of the station and getting a clean primer drop is pretty frustrating. I just gave up and ended up pouring the primers into a coffee can lid and putting the primers into the pocket by hand then using the press to seat the primer. The rest of the press seems to work pretty well.

So I ordered a bench priming system and a universal decapping die, and will do the decapping and priming in batches with a single stage press and the bench primer. Then run the primed brass though the press with the decapper removed so I just size the brass. I don't mind handling the brass twice, one of the things that I liked about the 3 press setup was that I could find .357 brass mixed in with my .38. And I could also find bad brass that needed to be scrapped.

richiecotite
05-03-2019, 10:08 PM
I have the Lee classic turret press and at one time had the Pro-1000.

I had a lot of problems with priming and light powder throws with the 1000. I had up until that time used just a single stage press.
and maybe it was to much of a step up for me. Should have gotten the turret press.

Anyways, after way to many light powder throws and me tapping bullets out of the the barrels of my revolvers I sold the 1000 and bought 2 more single stage presses and deprimed the brass and hand primed them as I was either watching TV, or while sitting in a guard box at my part time job.
Then with 3 presses I could finish the loading process and have pretty good quality rounds.

So then I upgraded to a 4 hole turret and with some tweaks with the safety prime I was able to do all of the steps at one time.
With the turret press the safety prime is right in front of the press and I could get a clean primer drop 99% of the time.
But it's still 4 pulls to make 1 finished round.

I just bought the Lee Auto Breech Lock press with the case feed and case collator. After getting it set up I quickly realized that for me the safety prime set up was going to be a problem. It's off the left of the station and getting a clean primer drop is pretty frustrating. I just gave up and ended up pouring the primers into a coffee can lid and putting the primers into the pocket by hand then using the press to seat the primer. The rest of the press seems to work pretty well.

My priming experiences with both Lee presses mirrors yours. Priming on the LCT is pretty easy, every now and again a primer falls out, or doesn’t drop. Its definitely more error prone on the breech lock, especially if you’re trying to reload with some speed or get into a rhythm

Whirlwind06
06-03-2019, 04:33 AM
Small update. After getting the dies setup on the new press. I cranked out ~600. 38 special wadcutter rounds in about an hour and a half. With a break in there and spot checking throw weights. So it's a pretty good press. I did all the priming off press while I watched forged in fire the night before. Don't mind handling the brass I found some questionable ones that went into the scrap bucket.

I have the old Lee hand primer with the round primer tray it still works the best. Tried the new Lee one and it was terrible. Have the RCBS universal hand primer on the way rewiews seem good.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mirolynmonbro
07-31-2019, 04:49 PM
My priming experiences with both Lee presses mirrors yours. Priming on the LCT is pretty easy, every now and again a primer falls out, or doesn’t drop. Its definitely more error prone on the breech lock, especially if you’re trying to reload with some speed or get into a rhythm

Do you also have issues with priming on the ABLP? I'm thinking this will be a good upgrade from my classic turret if I get the bullet and case feeders. I don't have any issues with priming on the classic turret

TOTS
10-14-2019, 06:21 PM
So I’m finally at the point where I just don’t have the time or patience to keep tinkering with the pro1000s priming system enough to keep it running. I have all the kit for it to use for an Auto Breach Lock but only if it has a hassle free priming system. Otherwise I’ll get the Dillon. I don’t like the idea of paying 4 times as much to get a reliable priming system and losing the case feeder.

Any word on this from those that have had it for a while? I only got 4 years out of the Pro1000. Thoughts between the square deal B and the ABL? This will be for 9mm only.

MGW
10-14-2019, 10:11 PM
So I’m finally at the point where I just don’t have the time or patience to keep tinkering with the pro1000s priming system enough to keep it running. I have all the kit for it to use for an Auto Breach Lock but only if it has a hassle free priming system. Otherwise I’ll get the Dillon. I don’t like the idea of paying 4 times as much to get a reliable priming system and losing the case feeder.

Any word on this from those that have had it for a while? I only got 4 years out of the Pro1000. Thoughts between the square deal B and the ABL? This will be for 9mm only.

I’ll be selling a Square Deal. PM me if you’re interested.

FPS
10-15-2019, 02:08 AM
Getting rid of mine. I can't stand it and not willing to work out the multiple problems. Its a POS as far as I am concerned. Glad some people are having good luck with it, not me.

Whirlwind06
10-16-2019, 12:30 PM

I prime off press. One time trying to run the priming system was enough for me.
If I could have a do over it would be a Dillon.

Tokarev
10-16-2019, 04:24 PM
I prime off press. One time trying to run the priming system was enough for me.

As I think I've mentioned; I have used the Pro1000 without the priming system. Put a sizing/decapping die in a tool head and run the cases through using the case feeder. Prime cases off press using a handheld tool. Take a Lee tool head and put the powder measure in station one, a seating die in station two and a factory crimp die in station three. Run primed brass through using the case feeder.

This is a very speedy way to load and has worked well for me the few times I've done it. The slowest/weirdest part of the whole process is placing the bullet into the case mouth at the back of the press on the left side of the case.

Whirlwind06
10-17-2019, 05:39 AM
As I think I've mentioned; I have used the Pro1000 without the priming system. Put a sizing/decapping die in a tool head and run the cases through using the case feeder. Prime cases off press using a handheld tool. Take a Lee tool head and put the powder measure in station one, a seating die in station two and a factory crimp die in station three. Run primed brass through using the case feeder.

This is a very speedy way to load and has worked well for me the few times I've done it. The slowest/weirdest part of the whole process is placing the bullet into the case mouth at the back of the press on the left side of the case.

Yep I agree, priming off press the breech lock is a pretty good press and I can can crank out quite a bit of ammo.
I still have a Lee turret and the priming on that wasn't to bad. So I'm thinking of setting that up to do the decapping and prime.

If I actually sat down and added up the cost of both presses and all of the other bits I bet I'm pretty close to Dillion at this point.

Tokarev
10-17-2019, 05:51 AM
Yep I agree, priming off press the breech lock is a pretty good press and I can can crank out quite a bit of ammo.
I still have a Lee turret and the priming on that wasn't to bad. So I'm thinking of setting that up to do the decapping and prime.

If I actually sat down and added up the cost of both presses and all of the other bits I bet I'm pretty close to Dillion at this point.

Pretty close in price to a Square Deal maybe. Not a 650 or 750 especially once you add a case feeder.

Lee stuff is what it is. Generally their products work well especially for the money.

Anyway, if you have a Turret the easy solution is to size and prime on that machine and then progressive load on the other. Not a terrible way to go and it should be fairly speedy.

Correction to my post above. I said placing the bullet on the case with the left hand. I meant with the right hand since the powdered case is at Station Two.

willie
10-17-2019, 08:07 AM
I have a Square Deal B which works well. Dedicated to one caliber, it excels. Having owned all, I now tell everybody and his dog to buy a 550 and be done with trying to figure out what's best. Everybody should have a single stage also. Cheaper ones are ok. Dillon dies are good.

TOTS
10-22-2019, 05:31 PM
I have a Square Deal B which works well. Dedicated to one caliber, it excels. Having owned all, I now tell everybody and his dog to buy a 550 and be done with trying to figure out what's best. Everybody should have a single stage also. Cheaper ones are ok. Dillon dies are good.

I’m really interested in getting the 550 but dropping that much coin on a press that doesn’t have a casefeeder AND is not progressive either is making it a no-go.

Mitch
10-22-2019, 05:42 PM
I’m really interested in getting the 550 but dropping that much coin on a press that doesn’t have a casefeeder AND is not progressive either is making it a no-go.

There is a big price jump from a serviceable 550 to a fully progressive press with a case feeder, assuming we’re only talking about Dillons here.

If you’re only loading 1 pistol caliber and have the coin for it, a 750 with a case feeder makes a lot of sense. The 550 is a very good mix of economy and efficiency as far as presses go, though. Especially if you’re talking about loading multiple calibers and/or rifle rounds.

willie
10-22-2019, 06:31 PM
The 550 is considered progressive, and the design allows reloading handgun or rifle ammo. That the shell plate is rotated by hand is a simplicity which is an advantage because priming and powder dropping issues that could arise often do not. Reason is that pulling the handle does not move the cases to the next step. The operator does with a flick of the wrist. Case and bullet feeders introduce more complexity to reloading. Because even simple machines have a learning curve, beginning with a case feeder might be a tad too challenging for some. We differ in technical aptitude. Mine is low. Others have a high one. Another consideration is volume of ammo needed.

MGW
10-22-2019, 08:36 PM

A 550 is not slow to reload on.

JAD
10-22-2019, 08:52 PM
Nope, and is much more versatile than many other presses.

willie
10-23-2019, 07:45 PM
Hornady has its fan boys and for good reason. I spent a large number of hours studying the Hornady progressives. Some say that they require more tinkering and adjustment than Dillon machines. I would say the difference between the two brands is not quality per se. My opinion is that Dillon engineers used a fairly trouble free, less complicated design. Today many shooters fire 10-20,1000 rounds per year of reloaded ammo. Dillon serves this group well. For the person shooting 4 or or 5 1000 rds/year, brand choice may not matter.

Whirlwind06
03-17-2020, 09:13 PM
I've been running the ABL for almost a year now. Overall it's not a bad press, I've even gotten over the safety prime and pretty much prime on press. I can get around 250 rounds an hour.

At some point I would like to upgrade to a Dillon. My shooting volume seems to match the Lee right now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Tokarev
04-11-2020, 08:06 AM
Hornady has its fan boys and for good reason. I spent a large number of hours studying the Hornady progressives. Some say that they require more tinkering and adjustment than Dillon machines. I would say the difference between the two brands is not quality per se. My opinion is that Dillon engineers used a fairly trouble free, less complicated design. Today many shooters fire 10-20,1000 rounds per year of reloaded ammo. Dillon serves this group well. For the person shooting 4 or or 5 1000 rds/year, brand choice may not matter.I have a good amount of experience with Hornady and Dillon progressive pressss.

My first experience with the Hornady was in the form of the long-out-of-production Pro-Jector. This is a wonderful old press. I still have it and it is set up to load 45 ACP. It doesn't get used much because I don't shoot much 45 nowadays.

Being a fan of the PJ, it was only logical that I get a Lock N Load when that model was introduced. Essentially a Gen2 version of the PJ with the changes being to the primer system and the tool head.

The PJ used a swinging arm that carried the primer from the tube to the shell plate. The LNL uses a slider piece to do essentially the same thing. I actually prefer the PJ swinging arm because it gives me a chance to glance at the primer and make sure it isn't upside down or cocked sideways coming out of the tube.

The tool head went from the standard series of five threaded holes to a system of five QD bushings. Dies are screwed into these bushings and then put into the tool head. Hornady says the QD bushing system lets the operator changes dies without having to unscrew anything so once dies are set they stay set. Yeah that's true but I've also found the bushings can work loose over time and not lock in tight so I prefer the plain old screw-in system of the PJ.

Other changes have been incremental and involve the loaded shell kicker. The latest one (at least the latest I've used. There could have been more changes over the last few years.) uses a small nub under the shell plate that cams the loaded round out of the press. It works pretty well and gives room for Hornady's case feeder.

Later, wanting a way to quickly swage primer pockets, I bought a Dillon 650 for the main purpose of using it with the Swage-It system. The SI is a swager button that replaces the primer seater punch. Frankly, it doesn't work very well and was a disappointment. In my experience it either doesn't swage enough or pushes up too much and pops the case up through the shell plate. But it was still better than trying to swage with pretty much everything else out there so I made the best of it.

Fast forward a little and Hornady introduced the LNL AP swage kit. This replaces the shell holder with fingers that cases fit over. The swage die itself goes into the tool head. Essentially cases are swaged upside down so it takes some getting used to. But the system works very well and swages pockets consistently and cleanly. Being that the fingers on the shell plate hold the cases when being swaged, there is no concern over damaging case rims. The Hornady system is the best thing I've used for primer pockets short of something like a Dillon 1050 that will size and swage without changing anything on the press.

So, long post to get to my point. I have basically reversed roles with the presses. The Hornady has now become a dedicated swager and ammo gets loaded on the Dillon. The Dillon probably is the better press but there is nothing wrong with the Hornady.

Looking at it objectively I'd say get the Hornady if you plan on progressive loading multiple calibers. Skip the case feeder and just insert cases by hand. It will load good ammo and cartridge conversion will be simpler than the Dillon. But if you're only loading one or two calibers the Dillon is a solid machine. Actually what makes the Dillon the way to go is its case feeder.

I haven't used the 750 yet but I'm sure it is a good machine. It was rumored to be in the works for awhile. I had been hoping for something with six die stations instead of five. Maybe that will come with the XL850...

I do have to wonder what Hornady has in the works for the LNL. The basic press hasn't changed much that I know of since they added the little kicker nub mentioned above. Are they working on a new press with six stations? Maybe something that will deprime cases and swage pockets like the 1050? Hopefully.

Anyway, I hope everyone is having a good weekend and staying healthy and safe.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk