PDA

View Full Version : RFI: Switching Calibers/Rifles/Platforms/Systems/Whatever (AK to AR)?

Guerrero
04-05-2018, 11:19 AM
This is more of a RFA: request for advice. My first, and only rifle, is an AK. I bought it a few years ago. At the time, it (maybe) looked like the AK was going to take off in the US. I wanted a "general purpose"/home defense rifle that I didn't need to be obsessive about maintaining (not that I couldn't/wouldn't do normal maintenance), and that would be cost effective to operate if I wanted to go out and just shoot. I also (possibly mistakenly) wanted to be a little different.

Well, now it's a few years later, and I'm having second thoughts.

The AK market, while better, didn't seem to take off as much as I thought it would. Whenever I go out shooting, I'm the only one with an AK, so, yeah, I'm the special snowflake. I'm becoming increasingly concerned that it will get harder and harder to get parts if anything goes wrong, and 7.62x39 ammo isn't that much cheaper than something like .223/5.56. This being the American market, almost everything carbine (products, training, etc.) seems slanted toward the AR-15, so I would be looking to switch to one of those.

So, on one hand, once I would get into the AR-15 market, it would be much easier to deal with, but getting my money out of what I have would be a royal pain in the ass.

Advice?

...and "get/keep both" is not really a good option for me, for various reason (financial/relationship/etc).

Hambo
04-05-2018, 11:30 AM
Don't overthink this. If you want an AR, sell the AK and drive on.

WobblyPossum
04-05-2018, 11:36 AM
What changes are you looking to make to your AK setup that the current aftermarket doesn't address?

Guerrero
04-05-2018, 11:47 AM
What changes are you looking to make to your AK setup that the current aftermarket doesn't address?

That's a good question. I don't think my current setup has any real deficiencies right now, I more worried about longer-term issues: ammo cost/availability, parts availability, can I get adequate training; that kind of stuff.

Guerrero
04-05-2018, 11:48 AM
Don't overthink this. If you want an AR, sell the AK and drive on.

It's not really that I have a burning desire for an AR, it's the nagging doubt that I made the wrong choice.

schüler
04-05-2018, 11:50 AM
What is the purpose/use of the rifle?

Serious use base AKs and ARs aren't far apart in price.

Guerrero
04-05-2018, 11:58 AM
What is the purpose/use of the rifle?

Serious use base AKs and ARs aren't far apart in price.

Mainly home defense in an urban area and recreational shooting.

WobblyPossum
04-05-2018, 12:02 PM
That's a good question. I don't think my current setup has any real deficiencies right now, I more worried about longer-term issues: ammo cost/availability, parts availability, can I get adequate training; that kind of stuff.

I don't know enough about AK maintenance/parts replacement to comment on spare parts availability. AKs definitely win on ammo cost for practice/training ammo. SGAmmo has cases upon cases of 7.62x39 steel case for the cost of 9mm fmj. The only AK specific class I can think of is Larry Vickers' but most of the prominent trainers allow AKs in their carbine classes. Hizzie just posted an AAR for a John McPhee class in which he used an AK and John was able to improve his shooting.

Drang
04-05-2018, 12:04 PM
I am no expert on the market for used AKs, but I suspect that how much money you get for it might depend on what brand of AK you have, and what (if any) mods/after market parts you have on it.

My gut feeling is that .223/5.56 ammo is probably easier to find anywhere in the US than 7.62x39, although 7.62x39 is not exactly rare.

schüler
04-05-2018, 01:03 PM
Mainly home defense in an urban area and recreational shooting.If things are bad enough that you need the rifle then you may not have opportunity to obtain more of any caliber - what you have in hand is all you can really count on.

If you don't have a way to stock up then yes, import availability is a concern with x39. First thing I thought of when the trade tariff talk starred.

If a very low probability event occurs 5.56 makes more sense to me.

AR "pistol" or rifle with pinned 14.5 (if legal locally) sounds like the ticket. Plus a weight/recoil difference that matters to some people. Now is a good time. Recent events have stabilized fair prices for semi autos and availability isn't bad.

If the AK really is sunk cost for whatever reasons then it may be better to keep it and unload it at the next black gun blitz.

Grey
04-05-2018, 01:19 PM
Depends on how much You get hosed on swapping to an AR. I would Just slowly pick up parts for an AR and build my own. Keep the AK.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

einherjarvalk
04-05-2018, 01:58 PM
AKs - good AKs, at least - seem to be a more stable long-term investment than ARs. I see nothing wrong with having both, but AK costs have been slowly trending upward for years.

If it's really not something you can keep, your best bet is to dump it next time something bad happens to the AK, whether that's the announcement of more sanctions against Russia or a general panic, but I'd definitely start getting the things you need for an AR now while it's still a buyer's market. There will always be more AR parts around than AK parts (finding the correct parts for cloning/refurbishing an Egyptian AKM and Izzy AKS-74N were eas more difficult than any AR build I've done), and in my experience, ARs are much easier to maintain as well. If your intent is to have a "future-proof" rifle, it's hard if not outright impossible to beat the AR.

Peally
04-05-2018, 02:14 PM
AKs are fuckaround guns (let's be honest, that's 95% of all firearms), if all you need it for is shooting home invaders and plinking steel at a range then it can accomplish that.

The rifle standard is an AR and that will be fact for a long time still. If you demand the "standard" then buy an AR. AKs are not going to replace them just like the BRNO isn't going to usurp all Glocks.

Do what you want.

Hizzie
04-05-2018, 02:23 PM
AKs are fuckaround guns (let's be honest, that's 95% of all firearms), if all you need it for is shooting home invaders and plinking steel at a range then it can accomplish that.

The rifle standard is an AR and that will be fact for a long time still. If you demand the "standard" then buy an AR. AKs are not going to replace them just like the BRNO isn't going to usurp all Glocks.

Do what you want.

p/BhM0iWkDhHu

okie john
04-05-2018, 04:05 PM
It's not really that I have a burning desire for an AR, it's the nagging doubt that I made the wrong choice.

Get used to that. Not just with guns, but with every aspect of life. There is no best, just varying levels of imperfection and our ability to tolerate them.

Okie John

feudist
04-05-2018, 05:54 PM
Keep the AK, make it your spare. buy a spare parts kit. Buy mags now, they're dirt cheap. Stack ammo, especially the 8m3 which looks horrific(fantastic) in gelatin.Save up for an AR.
Then, you're covered for whatever comes along with the 2 most common ammo/magazine rifles.

Hizzie
04-05-2018, 06:10 PM
We’ve talked in the past. If you aren’t happy with the AK go for the AR.

Clusterfrack
04-05-2018, 07:29 PM
For me the choice would be easy. A 5.56 AR is an excellent home defense gun, with the proper load. 7.62x39 in a home defense role doesn’t make as much sense to me, unless you also need to deal with large animals. See this sticky:
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=18787&share_tid=4334&share_pid=75139&url=https%3A%2F%2Fpistol-forum%2Ecom%2Fshowpost%2Ephp%3Fp%3D75139&share_type=t

Accuracy, ergos, parts, etc. all superior on an AR.

Move on.

Casual Friday
04-06-2018, 08:51 AM
If it's just a feeling that you picked the wrong rifle, I'd stick with the AK since it's what ya got, unless it's a RAS47/C39V2/IO Inc. Then I'd dump that shit and get a current production WASR.

Aftermarket support for the AK has never been better. It's not going to surpass the AR but I don't need it to. If you think you'd be better served by an AR, make the switch. Either one can be setup however you'd like it and perform the intended task.

Pic for attention. That FDE MOE stock is getting Rit Dyed black tomorrow. Yes that's a Tapco mag. I got 24 of them for $110 shipped, all have been 100% reliable and serve the purpose of being fuckaround range mags. I've got a bunch of Magpul M3 and surplus mags too.

Beat Trash
04-06-2018, 09:05 AM
As others have said, the after market support for the AK is no where near what it is in this country for the AR.

Same can be said for ammunition. More and more ammunition manufactures are spending research money to develop new bullet designs for the AR. Not so much for the AK. There are some excellent bonded rounds out there for the AR. You don't have to depend on a FMJ round for home defense within an urban area.

Ergonomics of the AR is vastly superior to the AK. The ability to mount a white light to your home defense gun is stupid simple for the AR. The AK is a bit more challenging.

If you shoot out a barrel in an AR, it's not that big of a deal to replace it. Shoot out a barrel in an AK, Better have a machine press handy.

Durability between the two...? Please... Learn how to lube and maintain an AR. It's not rocket science.

I still own an AK (one). I haven't shot it in a couple of years. I have an AR mounted next to my right elbow in my unmarked LE take home vehicle. I have an AR secured in an accessible location in the bedroom of my house. I might have a couple of other AR's in the safe.

Each of my adult children and step children were gifted a Colt 6920 AR with MagPul MOE-SL furniture. Add a white light and a RDO and this is my concept of a basic, simple general purpose rifle.

My advice would be to dump the AK and get an AR.

Casual Friday
04-06-2018, 09:29 AM
It's not challenging to mount a white light on an AK, or an optic for that matter.

Hizzie
04-06-2018, 10:08 AM
Please. There are modern 762x39 loads out.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/7.62x39-123-gr-sst-black#!/

https://www.federalpremium.com/ammunition/rifle/family/fusion/fusion-rifle/f76239fs1

http://www.winchester.com/Products/rifle-ammunition/Innovative/pdx1-defender-rifle/Pages/S76239PDB.aspx

http://www.winchester.com/products/rifle-ammunition/Advanced/Razor-Boar-XT/Pages/S76239WB.aspx

On a budget 8M3 has returned. https://www.sgammo.com/product/tula/1000-round-case-762x39-8m3-124-grain-hollow-point-ammo-made-ulyanovsk-cartridge-works-u

Testing- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0ENhmMKuaVU

There is also Silver Bear SP’s. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_jfLZYnhT-w

BehindBlueI's
04-06-2018, 10:30 AM
I went all AR. I found the ergonomics better, and I didn't see the need to keep two manual of arms going when I'm required to be proficient in the AR. My AK was fun, but I've never missed it.

RevolverRob
04-21-2018, 11:12 PM
Three thoughts:

1) A rifle in hand beats one someplace else. If you want to replace it, get the replacement first.

2) While I go AR for my rifle needs, currently, my rifle needs are actually pretty limited (and I run a sub-caliber, 9mm AR). I've actually always found the AK a more intuitive and more satisfying platform to shoot. For me, personally, growing up on 10/22s, M1 Carbines, and the like, the rack the bolt with the strong hand manual arms is more hardwired. It has taken me a lot of reps to hammer home the AR manual of arms.

3) I really prefer the feel of a well built AK to an AR. It's not to say I think the reliability is significantly different, I don't really think it matters if you get a quality AR and run it wet. But to me, not hearing the buffer bounce around the stock when firing, the compactness of a side-folding AK, and the robust feel of the steel gun, "feels" right.

Quality 7.62x39 rounds, like Hornady SST are still cheaper by the round than 5.56 TAP or other choices. For the budget conscious this remains a real issue and one I think should be considered. To my mind, an Arsenal-built AK, with Magpul furniture, a weaponlight, and an Aimpoint is ever bit the equivalent of a Colt 6920 setup the same way for engagements out to 300m. Beyond that, I think an LPV equipped AR begins to gain ground.

HCM
04-21-2018, 11:50 PM
This is more of a RFA: request for advice. My first, and only rifle, is an AK. I bought it a few years ago. At the time, it (maybe) looked like the AK was going to take off in the US. I wanted a "general purpose"/home defense rifle that I didn't need to be obsessive about maintaining (not that I couldn't/wouldn't do normal maintenance), and that would be cost effective to operate if I wanted to go out and just shoot. I also (possibly mistakenly) wanted to be a little different.

Well, now it's a few years later, and I'm having second thoughts.

The AK market, while better, didn't seem to take off as much as I thought it would. Whenever I go out shooting, I'm the only one with an AK, so, yeah, I'm the special snowflake. I'm becoming increasingly concerned that it will get harder and harder to get parts if anything goes wrong, and 7.62x39 ammo isn't that much cheaper than something like .223/5.56. This being the American market, almost everything carbine (products, training, etc.) seems slanted toward the AR-15, so I would be looking to switch to one of those.

So, on one hand, once I would get into the AR-15 market, it would be much easier to deal with, but getting my money out of what I have would be a royal pain in the ass.

Advice?

...and "get/keep both" is not really a good option for me, for various reason (financial/relationship/etc).

If I had to cut down to one rifle, it would be an AR.

The idea that a current production, quality AR is maintaince intensive is incorrect. If you keep adding lube, they keep shooting.

The issues 50 years ago when the AR first entered service have long been resolved. The cleaning cult in the U.S. Military is about the culture of the military not deficiencies in the reliability of the AR platform.