PDA

View Full Version : Biathlon rifles are assault weapons

LittleLebowski
04-04-2018, 11:23 AM
There it is. The stupidest thing you'll read all day.

https://sdrostra.com/undesignated/concerned-with-guns-california-considers-legislation-to-end-biathlon-competition-at-any-olympics-in-state/

“We understand this will be an uphill battle, but we have to start making a statement on guns somewhere,” said Assembly Public Safety Committee spokesperson Aaron Ross. “We could have tried to make this about all the shooting events held at the Summer Olympics, but that’s for another day. At least in the Summer events the guns are confined to the particular venues. But in the biathlon the competitors carry their rifles, assault weapons really, over a lot of terrain while skiing, near homes and residents. You just don’t know what could happen. It’s dangerous.”

orionz06
04-04-2018, 11:25 AM
The NY SAFE act, at one point, did wind up qualifying a single shot Anschutz as an "assault" weapon by way of the grip and technically adjustable stock.

blues
04-04-2018, 11:35 AM
I'm boycotting the biathlon for not being diverse enough. I mean, what were those Nordic nations thinking? You know how they are...

/s

orionz06
04-04-2018, 11:52 AM
I'm boycotting the biathlon for not being diverse enough. I mean, what were those Nordic nations thinking? You know how they are...

/s

There are at least 76 known -thlons.

blues
04-04-2018, 11:56 AM
There are at least 76 known -thlons.

Dear 'Progressive in Pittsburgh',

You clearly get it.

;)

spinmove_
04-04-2018, 12:03 PM
Ok, where do I file the class action lawsuit to get all the oxygen this colossal moron is stealing from everyone back?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

holmes168
04-04-2018, 12:14 PM
Ok, where do I file the class action lawsuit to get all the oxygen this colossal moron is stealing from everyone back?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

blues is a Yankees fan- he’s been stealing oxygen for 90 years.

Bigghoss
04-04-2018, 12:22 PM
Fuck that guy. In the face. With a cactus. Taped to a hammer. That's on fire. And something with bees. Lots of bees.

blues
04-04-2018, 12:27 PM
blues is a Yankees fan- he’s been stealing oxygen for 90 years.

You say that like it's a bad thing. ;)

TAZ
04-04-2018, 12:29 PM
Fuck that guy. In the face. With a cactus. Taped to a hammer. That's on fire. And something with bees. Lots of bees.

I’m stealing that like yesterday.

I’m sitting in my cube laughing my ass off and people keep asking me what’s so funny. But I can’t show them your post cause I’d get a visit from corporate security.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephanie B
04-04-2018, 12:31 PM
The story is dated April 1st. I’d be cautious about buying it.

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device using Tapatalk

Dog Guy
04-04-2018, 12:31 PM
The article might have been an April Fool's joke. Searches for AB 3261 returned hits only for a bill regarding cannabis. I gave it a quick read and didn't note anything about guns. http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billStatusClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180AB3261 There might be something else but I didn't find it.

Irelander
04-04-2018, 01:02 PM
https://youtu.be/PFPc_IEPibI

Bigghoss
04-04-2018, 01:06 PM
The story is dated April 1st. I’d be cautious about buying it.

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device using Tapatalk

Dangit. What am I supposed to do with my flaming cactus hammer now? And I got a guy coming over with the bees. I can't get that deposit back.

LittleLebowski
04-04-2018, 01:06 PM
Looks like a well done April Fool's, sorry for getting taken in folks.

MGW
04-04-2018, 01:08 PM

You should have just played along. Would have been fun to watch.

Bigghoss
04-04-2018, 01:10 PM

I'm sending the bee guy to your house.

Drang
04-04-2018, 01:11 PM

Somebody has to say it: Mods here are shit.

jeep45238
04-04-2018, 01:17 PM
This was posted on April Fools, clicking the link for the bill leads to a search, and when searching for 3261 the only result returned (AB-3261, same as the article) talks only about cannabis. So......I have my doubts on the authenticity of this report.

Jason M
04-04-2018, 04:46 PM

But without that posting I would have not learned the important lesson of NOT reading things like that while eating spicy tuna hand rolls. My nose is still on fire....

blues
04-04-2018, 04:49 PM
But without that posting I would have not learned the important lesson of NOT reading things like that while eating spicy tuna hand rolls. My nose is still on fire....

You should have protected your nose by snorting a condom before indulging in wasabi.

Jason M
04-04-2018, 04:51 PM
Points off for not practicing safe sushi...

Drang
04-04-2018, 04:53 PM
Biathlon rifles are only assault rifles if the targets are wearing ushankas.

luckyman
04-04-2018, 06:06 PM
Oh dear Lord. They totally got me with this one. It was completely believable.

Glenn E. Meyer
04-04-2018, 06:23 PM
IIRC, in Russia one of their shooting teams was going somewhere in a bus and it was hijacked by would be thieves. The team deployed their 22S rifles and started shooting them up. The bad guys fled. I might mis-remember this or have a detail incorrect.

Jim Watson
04-04-2018, 06:39 PM
I don't know a shooting match that uses .22 Short. Even ISSF Rapid Fire has gone LR.

The Romanian Olympic Team reportedly contributed to the overthrow of the Ceaulescus. I don't know if they used their target .22s or got military weapons.

StraitR
04-04-2018, 06:50 PM

No apologies necessary. We got this gem out of it.....

Bigghoss
04-04-2018, 06:53 PM
No apologies necessary. We got this gem out of it.....

Flaming cactus hammer FTMFW.

Totem Polar
04-04-2018, 08:44 PM
This thread delivered, hard. :cool:

Bigghoss
04-04-2018, 09:00 PM
Giggity.

Drang
04-04-2018, 09:55 PM
IIRC, in Russia one of their shooting teams was going somewhere in a bus and it was hijacked by would be thieves. The team deployed their 22S rifles and started shooting them up. The bad guys fled. I might mis-remember this or have a detail incorrect.

I do recall a Central American (Costa Rica?) Olympic shooter that repelled boarders with his .22 Short Freestyle pistol.

Malamute
04-04-2018, 10:37 PM

I don't know a shooting match that uses .22 Short. Even ISSF Rapid Fire has gone LR.

The Romanian Olympic Team reportedly contributed to the overthrow of the Ceaulescus. I don't know if they used their target .22s or got military weapons.

I do recall a tale circulating of a rifle team using their 22 rifles in one of the towns involved in the Bosnian war when the town was invaded. They took a position in a cemetery, those that opposed them reportedly withdrew after receiving accurate return fire. I dont recall much more than that, it must have been what, 20 years ago? Dont recall the source or how reliable.