PDA

View Full Version : RFI: Colorado Springs shooting ranges

Bigghoss
04-03-2018, 11:12 AM
I'm planning to host a casual group shoot with about 10-20 people (depending on range rules) in the Springs area and I'm looking into ranges to do it at. Seems folks don't feel like driving all the way down to Pueblo to go to my range...

Everything about the range at Fort Carson makes it sounds like no fun at all. Dragon Man's I'm on the fence about. Pike's Peak Gun Club looks promising other than I might have to drop $100 on a membership I'll barely use. So any other suggestions would be helpful since I don't know Colorado Springs very well.

The group is a random mix of people of different skill levels and it's just a get-together for fun. Thanks in advance.

Drang
04-04-2018, 05:08 PM
Been 20+ years since I left, so...
...There used to be a recreational range, basically a "pit", up in the hills. Don't remember what it was called. Doesn't pop up on a Google map search, so maybe they closed it. It was usually trashed, IIRC.

Google Maps did show this place, in Gleneagle: Magnum Shooting Center | Indoor Colorado Shooting Range | Gunsmithing (https://www.magnumshootingcenter.com/)

There used to be an indoor range on the west side, almost Security/Fountain, which I had a membership in. Rampart? (Or maybe that was the public range, it was a long time ago.)

Ichiban
04-04-2018, 07:05 PM
With a crowd that size you are going to be limited. The indoor ranges just don't have that capacity. You might give Mel (Dragon Man) a call and see if he'd be willing to rent out one of the smaller "instructor" ranges.

Drang - you are thinking of the Rampart Range shoot range that was up behind Garden of the Gods. I went there twice - a first time that was also the last time. Scary dangerous. It was shut down a couple of years ago after some yahoo gut-shot his buddy and killed him.

Bigghoss
04-04-2018, 07:48 PM
I can go smaller with the group if I have to. Group size isn't set yet.

Ichiban
04-04-2018, 08:07 PM
Then check with Magnum Shooting center on the north end. They do corporate events and groups. They have three pistol bays that have 8-10 lanes each.
https://www.magnumshootingcenter.com/

GyroF-16
04-04-2018, 09:44 PM
I’m a member at Magnum, and shoot there weekly. It’s a good facility.
Significantly, all the RSOs I’ve dealt with are professional and competent, but friendly.
I’m not sure what they can do for a group that big, but I’d recommend asking.

Drang
04-04-2018, 09:53 PM
Drang - you are thinking of the Rampart Range shoot range that was up behind Garden of the Gods. I went there twice - a first time that was also the last time. Scary dangerous. It was shut down a couple of years ago after some yahoo gut-shot his buddy and killed him.

That does not surprise me even a little bit.

FNFAN
04-05-2018, 12:06 AM
Pike's Peak Gun Club or Magnum if you want indoor facilities. Pikes Peak has a large range and several smaller bays (they host the monthly IDPA shoot.) All but two of the bays have covered sunbreaks. I would second what was said about Magnum -it's a very well run facility.