PDA

View Full Version : SBRing a private sale lower

BK14
04-01-2018, 06:02 AM
I’m looking for any info about using a lower I purchased through a private sale (no FFL involved/req in my state), and using that to put in the paperwork for an SBR? Would it be possible to do the SBR without the lower being formally “registered” to me prior to the tax stamp?

Thanks for any help!

fatdog
04-01-2018, 07:21 AM
Yes, you fill out a form 1 and go through the process either as an individual or with a trust, the manufacturer is the relevant information you need to supply. Unless you live in one of the crazy registration blue states the gun is not actually "registered" to you now, no matter how you bought it or even if you made it yourself from an 80% kit.

What you do want to be absolutely certain of is that is was not a stolen receiver. That would become pretty awkward and painful to have the fact turn up during the Form 1 registration process.

HCM
04-01-2018, 03:18 PM
Yes, you fill out a form 1 and go through the process either as an individual or with a trust, the manufacturer is the relevant information you need to supply. Unless you live in one of the crazy registration blue states the gun is not actually "registered" to you now, no matter how you bought it or even if you made it yourself from an 80% kit.

What you do want to be absolutely certain of is that is was not a stolen receiver. That would become pretty awkward and painful to have the fact turn up during the Form 1 registration process.

I would add:

Is this a stripped lower or a complete lower ? If stripped I would assemble it with a lower parts kit or have a gunsmith gauge it to make sure it is in spec and the pin holes are correctly placed before going to the trouble and expense of the Form 1.

Assuming this is a factory lower and not an 80% lower completed by someone else ?

drjaydvm
04-01-2018, 05:45 PM
I Sbr’d a private sale ar pistol without any problems

BK14
04-03-2018, 03:02 AM
Yeah it’s a buddy moving from AZ to NY, selling his complete BCM lower. Sounds like I’ll be making the buy of everything is good to go with the SBR process.

Thanks for the help!