PDA

View Full Version : IWI TS12

js475
03-31-2018, 05:29 PM
Does anyone here have hands-on experience with this shotgun or any new information about it since SHOT? Looks like a very unique design, and the price point seems pretty reasonable. If this turns out to be reliable (which coming from IWI, I have confidence it will be), I may consider picking one up.

For the shotgun experts here, would this be a good contender for an HD gun compared to other semi autos like the 1301, M2, or M4?

Unobtanium
04-01-2018, 05:04 AM
Meh.

It takes chokes.
Its IWI

That alone is enough for me to swerve.

js475
11-10-2019, 12:17 PM
Bumping this thread since they're finally available. Anyone here have a chance to handle or shoot one? Do we think it could become a viable candidate for a serious defensive shotgun (assuming it proves to be reliable of course), or is it just a sci-fi looking toy?

Balisong
11-10-2019, 09:04 PM
I'm curious too. My friend is in love with his Tavor rifle (I like it too for a bull pup, but still prefer AR15s) and he's been looking forward to one of these for a couple years now. He'll probably get one but wants to handle one first.

GearFondler
11-11-2019, 04:31 AM
I've been in love with the idea since it was introduced but I'm not willing to be a Guinea Pig now that I just bought a 1301T.
But if it proves to be reliable...

andre3k
08-21-2020, 06:29 PM
I just ordered one of these. I have no idea when it will ship from IWI, but will post pics and a review once I shoot a few matches with it.

UNK
09-10-2020, 12:01 PM
I just ordered one of these. I have no idea when it will ship from IWI, but will post pics and a review once I shoot a few matches with it.

Did you ever receive this?

js475
09-10-2020, 04:26 PM
I got to shoot 2-3 boxes of shells through a friend's TS12 a month ago. I brought out my 1301T as well for comparison.

A few initial impressions I noted:

- The gun handled better than I expected. It's definitely heavier than my 1301, but it actually balances pretty nicely as a bullpup.

- It was 99% reliable for the 200 or so rounds my friend and I fired through it that day. I had one stovepipe with low brass birdshot. We fired a mix of cheap birdshot and buckshot. He did say there was a break-in period of about 100 rounds where the gun would barely cycle at all with lighter loads.

- Recoil was very manageable, probably a bit softer than my 1301 due to being heavier.

- The rotating tubes can be a bit strange at first, but once I got used to them I was able to rotate the tubes to "reload" the gun very quickly. One issue I noticed is that you can't tell how many shells you have in each tube. I wish they would have included some kind of window on the mag tubes to see how many shells are in each one.

- You can actually get 17 rounds in the gun total if you ghost load one on the carrier. Firing off 17 rounds of 12ga in 5 seconds is awesome.

The TS12 was a blast to shoot. It has the potential to be a solid HD shotgun, but I can't comment too much on its reliability based on my limited experience with it. Having 15+1 in a shotgun would definitely be a nice advantage though. I may have to pick one up some day.

andre3k
09-11-2020, 12:34 AM
Did you ever receive this?

IWI called last week and took my CC info, just waiting on the shipment to arrive.

andre3k
09-11-2020, 01:52 PM
It came in yesterday. Haven't had a chance to shoot it and I need to pick up more heavy dove loads for break in. The manual recommends 1200fps 1 1/8 oz loads so I'll give some Winchester AA 1300fps loads a try. First impression is that it's very short. It takes some getting used to. 16 rounds of 12ga in a 28 inch long shotgun is pretty impressive. The lever to rotate the mag tubes is still pretty stiff. Its located at the front of the trigger guard and you press it with your trigger finger and rotate the tube with your off hand. It needs an optic as well, I'm still undecided on what to pick.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ly65JB9vbWjzuYKY2JjPgX6oH0L6ytnt89jZ61OL380L-k8z9VgIO8ztQlWkqgWXt7SnHhkSTzHUgNjy4-kpHocnTMOUTP0_DNdz3NzJuipmgsamNGUgMmGZ6MBdNw7qKZmL qy2qgA=w600

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-WsRO7OeSZl8p0AgrEj5T4BnNxi-U90Epl_Lgr1GNKyFPmlHJjCSwmzNDsnWkau6lf2maT3WdZIZVr aDqM5OV4F54xVhaKAZCViOiWx9bZMPEPBVLYk88JbFLuThU8dQ b-9eStXBqw=w600

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/chJYLD41pzdRif_I1dB8sPMy4TFG8KPsaOb98mwp5C_TeiARLC acABauRiv6uHka0BeeMTk_CbF5nZMDueAujCQE34pj27Hz0dUb JC1bZA0qedPjzRNi8QC06m5z8f_9ekgmiPNAAw=w600

BrassSlapper
09-14-2020, 09:08 AM
I've had the opportunity to get my hands on one. Is it fun? Absolutely. Is it a great toy at the range? Without a doubt. And will I end up getting one? More than likely. However, I wouldn't necessarily use it as a home defense weapon. But to say it isn't a fun machine to work.... that'd be a lie.

GearFondler
09-14-2020, 02:08 PM
I've had the opportunity to get my hands on one. Is it fun? Absolutely. Is it a great toy at the range? Without a doubt. And will I end up getting one? More than likely. However, I wouldn't necessarily use it as a home defense weapon. But to say it isn't a fun machine to work.... that'd be a lie.What would be your hang up over HD? Reliability?

BrassSlapper
09-21-2020, 09:42 AM
What would be your hang up over HD? Reliability?

Absolutely. Not that the thing isn't reliable from what I've heard. But in that kind of situation, I would unsure as to what my hands would actually do. And spinning those ammo tubes isn't something I want to fiddle with if I have a threat in my home. Plus, I'm not going to need 15-16 shots of 00 buck to handle the situation. Instead, I'd prefer a good old pump. Mossberg 500 or 590

js475
10-03-2020, 04:34 PM
Got to shoot my buddy's TS12 again. This time we put a 250 round case of Remington target loads through it between three shooters, and the gun ran flawlessly. According to him, the gun has over 1000 rounds through it now. He hasn't had any issues since the initial break in period.

I brought out some Federal LE133-00 8 pellet Flitecontrol to see how it patterns. This particular TS12 loved Flitecontrol, shooting 3-4" patterns at 25 yards. For comparison my 1301 shoots 6-8" patterns at 25 yards with this load.

Now I just need to find one at a reasonable price so I can get one for myself.

GearFondler
10-03-2020, 06:48 PM
Got to shoot my buddy's TS12 again. This time we put a 250 round case of Remington target loads through it between three shooters, and the gun ran flawlessly. According to him, the gun has over 1000 rounds through it now. He hasn't had any issues since the initial break in period.

I brought out some Federal LE133-00 8 pellet Flitecontrol to see how it patterns. This particular TS12 loved Flitecontrol, shooting 3-4" patterns at 25 yards. For comparison my 1301 shoots 6-8" patterns at 25 yards with this load.

Now I just need to find one at a reasonable price so I can get one for myself.Please stop posting about this shotgun... I really don't need one and you're not helping me remember that. [emoji23]

andre3k
10-05-2020, 01:57 PM
My local indoor range requires shotguns to shoot slug loads only. I have a stash of Winchester Rangers I'm trying to save, so I cast up a few of the Lee 1oz key drive slugs to try for practice.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

nraforlife
11-04-2020, 08:48 PM
ALMOST, and I do mean almost, bought one. Got a 1301 Tactical instead. Nothing at all wrong with the TS12, I just couldn't justify the $500 difference. Question, isn't 16 rds of 00 buck a little heavy for a home defense shotgun?

nraforlife
03-26-2023, 01:13 PM
Well I did get one finally. Off to gun range this week..

HCM
03-26-2023, 02:54 PM
Got to shoot one of these a while back.

It was mostly reliable but bulky and awkward. In informal shooting competition on steel the shoots with the TS12 lost every time vs conventional pumps and semi autos.

Hard pass.

LHS
03-28-2023, 04:11 PM
Got to shoot one of these a while back.

It was mostly reliable but bulky and awkward. In informal shooting competition on steel the shoots with the TS12 lost every time vs conventional pumps and semi autos.

Hard pass.

We had one come through class a few months back. To everyone's surprise, it seemed to run, at least on day 1. The student, despite doing fairly well, just ghosted us on day 2 and never showed up, so I can't say how the gun would have done through a full course.

That said, it's bulky and awkward, and having three separate mag tubes makes loading and topping off a bit more intricate than usual. Honestly it struck me as a novelty for people who just want something different than everyone else, and not something I'd see as a serious-use tool.