PDA

View Full Version : Magpul SGA + Light vs. Surefire DSF

ssb
03-30-2018, 12:38 AM
Currently my gun has a Surefire 600-series DSF forend mounted on it. I'm mostly happy with it except for the weight and the occasional light ND when grabbing the gun.

I'm considering getting into a Magpul SGA setup -- haven't decided on the light or the means of mounting. For those of you who have tried both, which did you prefer and why? Am I downgrading by going to the SGA forend?

Edster
03-30-2018, 06:35 PM
I have an 870 with a first-generation Surefire foreend and an 870 with a Magpul, short rail, and handheld Surefire in a quick-release mount.

My opinion is the current DSF foreends have more features than I need or want. I just want a reliable light, reasonably good brightness and pattern, and the ability to do momentary or constant. I get all of that with the Magpul and handheld. Being able to separate the light from the gun is handy, too.

It did take me a while to find a position that worked intuitively and didn't have the light too far from my hand or banging into my fingers. The Surefire definitely has the ergonomic/instinctive edge. Overall, though, I'm more inclined to replace the dedicated foreend on the first 870 with a Magpul/Surefire combo than to go the other way.

SpyderMan2k4
03-30-2018, 10:52 PM
personally, I despise the surefire forend. I got one in a trade and used it for a little bit, but I've since taken it back off. It forces me to hold it much further back than I prefer. It also beats my hand under recoil. I had to completely adjust the way I was holding it. I gave it a fair chance with 500 rounds through that setup. For he price, bulk, and weight, it still isn't that bright.

Likewise, I tried a number of setups attaching a light to the magpul forend and still had issues with it crushing my hand in recoil. Instead, I prefer mounting the light in front of the forend (using a clicky handheld mounted to a rail section). It's more comfortable to shoot, and I have more control of the light... it's either on or off, and it's not going to do either accidentally. I've seen people argue against that, saying they want momentary only and attached to the forend... For me, that's 1) impossible to do with any reliability, and 2) insanely painful. YMMV.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Holmes375
03-31-2018, 01:16 AM
Played around with a lot of configurations over the years including an early Surefire. This is what I've settled on and have been using for about 3 years now. Momentary. full on, large button, works for me going right handed or wrong handed.

Jac
03-31-2018, 11:23 AM
Played around with a lot of configurations over the years including an early Surefire. This is what I've settled on and have been using for about 3 years now. Momentary. full on, large button, works for me going right handed or wrong handed.

24929That looks nice... where’d you get the rail?

Holmes375
03-31-2018, 11:44 AM
That looks nice... where’d you get the rail?

That's one of the cheapy aluminum tri-rails, believe I picked it up on Amazon. I shaved off the 3:00 and 9:00 rails, refinished it and presto... custom light attachment ;)

Add in a Weaver 1" scope ring and its good to go. Very solid, removes with a coin.

blues
03-31-2018, 12:10 PM
I haven't had any issues with the Surefire DSF forend in terms of reliability or discomfort from recoil impact. (It is a tad heavy...but smoother than the OEM forend on my 870.)

It felt a bit unwieldy, (forward weighted), to me until I shortened the LOP with the Magpul SGA stock which made a world of difference.

Obviously, opinions will differ according to personal taste and physical characteristics.

ranger
03-31-2018, 02:35 PM
That's one of the cheapy aluminum tri-rails, believe I picked it up on Amazon. I shaved off the 3:00 and 9:00 rails, refinished it and presto... custom light attachment ;)

Add in a Weaver 1" scope ring and its good to go. Very solid, removes with a coin.

Is that a QD sling mount - who made that? Thanks

Tabasco
03-31-2018, 02:54 PM
I mount my lights on a short rail on the left side of the Magpul SGA forend. It illuminates the front sight, which is nice.

Holmes375
03-31-2018, 04:18 PM
Is that a QD sling mount - who made that? Thanks

Its a Magpul forward mount. With the clip loop removed it takes QD push button swivels.

https://www.magpul.com/products/forward-sling-mount-rem-870-mossberg-500-590

Screwball
03-31-2018, 04:22 PM
I prefer a pistol light on the Magpul forend... just works a little easier for me.

It also allows me to use a light that can be utilized on different firearms. A Surefire forend can only be used on that type of firearm. A TLR-1 on my TAC-14 can work on my SP-01, .45 AR, and any other firearm with a rail.

David S.
03-31-2018, 07:02 PM
At jlw 's suggestion, I went with Fab Defense (https://www.amazon.com/PR-870-Quality-Excellent-Performance-Popular/dp/B0044QWGE4/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505790015&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=fab+defense+870+forend) forend and a WML. I'll either run my x300 or an Inforce on it. Here's one for $36 on Fleabay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Mako-FAB-Remington-Rail-System-PR-870-Handguard-w-Rail-Black/292484619047?hash=item4419711b27:g:cggAAOSwDVtaV7E o)

I've mounted it and it's sitting in my safe, ready to rumble, but haven't had a chance to run it through it's paces. Happy with it so far.

03RN
03-31-2018, 07:29 PM
I prefer surefires. Then a light at 11oclock mounted to the magazine. Last is a light on the forend, especially lights with toggles.

ssb
03-31-2018, 08:59 PM
I picked up an 870P for $240 from GT Distributors this weekend, so I'll leave my known good 870 setup alone and experiment with this one.

Guerrero
08-21-2018, 04:18 PM
If I wanted to keep the OEM forend, how would I do both a light and a sling attachment, other than Holmes' method?

Norville
08-21-2018, 04:40 PM
If I wanted to keep the OEM forend, how would I do both a light and a sling attachment, other than Holmes' method?

CDM Gear makes barrel clamp with a QD socket on one side and Weaver rail on the other

Holmes375
08-21-2018, 04:43 PM
Here's how I have one set up:

The mount is one of the inexpensive aluminum tri-rails from Amazon. I shaved the side rails away and refinished it. A Weaver 1" ring holds the light on the remaining lower mount rail. Very secure. The sling mount is the Magpul clamp with the QD attachment. The light is a Fab Defense Speedlight G2.

HCM
08-22-2018, 01:27 AM
personally, I despise the surefire forend. I got one in a trade and used it for a little bit, but I've since taken it back off. It forces me to hold it much further back than I prefer. It also beats my hand under recoil. I had to completely adjust the way I was holding it. I gave it a fair chance with 500 rounds through that setup. For he price, bulk, and weight, it still isn't that bright.

Likewise, I tried a number of setups attaching a light to the magpul forend and still had issues with it crushing my hand in recoil. Instead, I prefer mounting the light in front of the forend (using a clicky handheld mounted to a rail section). It's more comfortable to shoot, and I have more control of the light... it's either on or off, and it's not going to do either accidentally. I've seen people argue against that, saying they want momentary only and attached to the forend... For me, that's 1) impossible to do with any reliability, and 2) insanely painful. YMMV.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

There are three generations of the surefire DSF. the first generation is not bad. The second gen had the negatives you describe. The current third gen still has some of those issues. It’s better than the Gen 2 but not as good as the original with a LED upgrade.

Either way, on a pump shotgun I want the light on the fore-end not mounted to the magazine.

Guerrero
08-22-2018, 08:33 AM
Either way, on a pump shotgun I want the light on the fore-end not mounted to the magazine.

Maybe a better question is why do some people prefer the light on the fore-end or not?

03RN
08-22-2018, 08:49 AM
Maybe a better question is why do some people prefer the light on the fore-end or not?

I don't like lights attached to the fore-end. The corners make for sore thumbs. Toggle switches lead to light NDs.

Lights on the tube fix both of those problems.

I do think the surefire is the best bet though.

TCinVA
08-28-2018, 10:42 AM

With it mounted on the barrel or mag tube, it's hard to stay in contact with the light. Could be a big deal for some people, but for most ordinary joes I suspect that can be solved by avoiding momentary switching in general. If someone insists on it, they could always use tape style switches but that presents its own issues related to use and mounting.

With the light mounted to the forend in any other fashion besides the Surefire forend there's a higher chance that the light will get driven into your hand under recoil...especially if your recoil control techniques are not on point.

When a 12 gauge drives pointy things into your flesh it is doing so with a lot of force. It will split nails to the quick, tear gashes in your skin, etc. There. Will. Be. Blood.

You also tend to get a bigger dead spot in the light because you have more gun sitting in front of the lens of the light to block it.

JLW is smart and that Fab Defense forend seems like a pretty good solution as you can mount a light where it won't hit you.

Tabasco
08-28-2018, 12:26 PM

Magpul forend mounted lights illuminate the front sight/bead, which is why I prefer them.