PDA

View Full Version : Reloading for Accuracy (9mm)

PhillySoldier
03-28-2018, 07:07 AM
My past reloading has been limited to reloading 308 match ammo. I知 looking into getting setup and started on pistol calibers. 9mm to start and later 45 & 50 calibers. Gonna order a new Dillon press today; dedicated to just the 9mm at the moment.

Priorities will be reloading for accuracy and shot group shooting. Im planning on custom loads of what works best for each of my guns, not necessarily cost savings.

I realize this is going to be a process of testing different loads and such to compare and see what works best for each gun individually. But component wise (bullet brands, powders, primers) can I get some suggestions on what quality brands to get started with?

Mike C
03-28-2018, 07:57 AM
My past reloading has been limited to reloading 308 match ammo. I知 looking into getting setup and started on pistol calibers. 9mm to start and later 45 & 50 calibers. Gonna order a new Dillon press today; dedicated to just the 9mm at the moment.

Priorities will be reloading for accuracy and shot group shooting. Im planning on custom loads of what works best for each of my guns, not necessarily cost savings.

I realize this is going to be a process of testing different loads and such to compare and see what works best for each gun individually. But component wise (bullet brands, powders, primers) can I get some suggestions on what quality brands to get started with?

I知 not at home so I don稚 have my load data but I have had excellent results with Hornady HAP projectiles and XTPs. Molon has reported superb results with the HAP projectiles as well in 9mm. You can look at Atlanta Arms match ammo as a model their stuff is excellent.

PhillySoldier
03-28-2018, 08:02 AM
Thanks Mike. The load data will be great when ya get it. Right now Im just trying to figure out what type bullets, primers and powder I should order to start with.

I just finished ordering the new dillon set up. That was a kick in the butt and more than I expected but thats ok. Locks me in now :)

EricM
03-28-2018, 03:08 PM
A couple older posts I'd saved on this topic for when I can finally start reloading:

In most auto handgun calibers the guns are pretty forgiving.

The most important thing is the bullet, if it is sized properly to your barrel, chances are that a normal OAL, with decent crimp (this is not negotiable), will shoot well with a powder dose that gives mid range velocity and pressure. Then play a little with the OAL and the powder dose.

I live in south america, where we don't have lots of powder options, and I've never had any trouble getting very consistent, reliable and accurate loads for my handguns with just about any suitable powder.

^^ That's some good advice, right there.

My advice:

1.) Select a bullet weight and powder combination that you know will work.
124's? OK. Titegroup? OK. (personally, I've seen a bit too much smoke outta TG and SNS's old Gold coating... They had a bad batch a bit ago...)

2.) Select a decent OAL and stick with it, 1.110"-1.120" sounds alright.

3.) Start at .6 under the average powder charge and work up to just .2 over. 4.0Gr seems ok. 3.4, 3.6, 3.8, 4.0, 4.2.
Load ~20 of each. Shoot the first 12, in groups of 3, off of bags at a 15-20 yard target with a consistent aim point. (E.g. you want to evaluate the "group", not your accuracy.) The charge that gives you the tightest group for that bullet weight and OAL is probably what you want to load with.
Pull one pc every 5-6 loadings and check that the powder drop is giving you a consistent charge drop.

4.) Shoot the next 8 from each charge grouping in groups of 4, offhand and evaluate the feel, recoil, etc. It might be that the most accurate load is too much. If so, just compromise and take the next lowest bracket.

5.) If you're shooting IDPA or USPSA, get a chrono and check that you're pet load is making PF.

My experience:
I've found that some of the low-volume, quick burning powders have a sweet spot. Just bumping the charge up or down a notch for your bullet could make a big difference. Hence loading the "spread" of charges. It is nice too - you get in, get done, get data quickly.

Some known good loads:
HP38 and a 147.
WST and a 124 moly.
AA2 or AA5 and 124 or 147's
Anything Vihtavouri.

You'll find that some of the slower powders may produce better groups, but most of those are too "stout" where you begin to notice it.
I mean, 6.5gr Power Pistol in a 115gr 9mm is amazingly accurate, blasty as hell and is just barely making power factor for USPSA.

Ammunition makes a huge difference in any barrel/gun testing. I've experienced 2" groups vs 5" groups with the same brass, bullets, primers, and powder charge, but a +/- .02" difference in oal. I've seen the same kind of variation in accuracy by using different powders to make the exact same velocity/powerfactor with the same projectile.

Gio - I would be very interested if sometime you have a few minutes to describe your process for working up a load for a new barrel. Like what to use as a starting point and which factors to vary, in what order and by how much, to efficiently zero in on an optimal load.

olstyn
03-28-2018, 05:46 PM
I’m not at home so I don’t have my load data but I have had excellent results with Hornady HAP projectiles and XTPs. Molon has reported superb results with the HAP projectiles as well in 9mm. You can look at Atlanta Arms match ammo as a model their stuff is excellent.

I concur. Some of the most consistently small groups I've ever shot were 115 gr XTPs over 5.4 grains of Unique @ 1.08". I haven't loaded any XTPs since, because of the price, but I bet if I had more on hand, I could produce even better loads with other powders. (VV N320 is my go-to these days, and given that I can usually achieve SD numbers in the high single digits or low teens with it, I bet the results with XTPs would be excellent.)

As far as loading for maximum accuracy in 9mm goes, I recall reading an article a while back that indicated that in order to squeeze the best possible accuracy out of the cartridge, it can actually be beneficial to sort cases by headstamp and trim them all to the same length. Most people (including me) will tell you that's generally not necessary with pistol cartridges, but there are apparently measurable gains to be had in terms of consistency and group size if you're willing to be super anal/meticulous.

Mike C
03-28-2018, 05:51 PM
I concur. Some of the most consistently small groups I've ever shot were 115 gr XTPs over 5.4 grains of Unique @ 1.08". I haven't loaded any XTPs since, because of the price, but I bet if I had more on hand, I could produce even better loads with other powders. (VV N320 is my go-to these days, and given that I can usually achieve SD numbers in the high single digits or low teens with it, I bet the results with XTPs would be excellent.)

As far as loading for maximum accuracy in 9mm goes, I recall reading an article a while back that indicated that in order to squeeze the best possible accuracy out of the cartridge, it can actually be beneficial to sort cases by headstamp and trim them all to the same length. Most people (including me) will tell you that's generally not necessary with pistol cartridges, but there are apparently measurable gains to be had in terms of consistency and group size if you're willing to be super anal/meticulous.

That is hilarious. I literally just sent the OP a PM with that exact recipe. I never chrono'd the load but it is definitely one of the most accurate I've ever loaded.

ETA: olstyn, did you ever try N330, if so do you prefer 320 over it?

olstyn
03-28-2018, 10:15 PM
did you ever try N330, if so do you prefer 320 over it?

I've always heard that N330 is supposed to be great for 9mm, but I've never had the opportunity to try it, and with multi-year supply of N320 sitting on my bench, I'm not likely to any time soon unless some shows up locally at an absurdly good price.

EricP
03-29-2018, 07:45 AM
I'll add another vote for N320 producing remarkably low standard deviations and extreme spreads and meters well. My load was 124 gr. Montana Gold, 4.3 gr. of N320 (max charge), CCI SPP, in Speer cases. The only negative comment I have on N320 is that it is somewhat velocity challenged. The Vihtavouri published data for that charge are 1070 fps. I think my chronograph data was closer to 1050, putting me fairly close to the IDPA power factor threshold.

cjb1911
03-29-2018, 08:54 AM
My go to load for Glock shooting is 3.8 WSF with a 147gr Bayou bullet. 3.3 of TG isn稚 bad either but a little too Smokey for indoor. Make sure you visit the Brian Enos forums for a wealth of reloading knowledge.

olstyn
03-29-2018, 05:11 PM
The only negative comment I have on N320 is that it is somewhat velocity challenged.

No argument there. Fast burning powders shine when the goal is IDPA/USPSA/IPSC minor power factor with low felt recoil, but if you want higher velocity, you need a slower burning powder.

Pistol Pete 10
03-29-2018, 08:27 PM
I have some 126 cast SWCs from Dardas I am going to try for accuracy. I shot 1000 124 RN cast but they were no more accurate than 124 plated bullets. I mainly shoot IDPA style stuff so the ammo doesn't have to be very accurate but I would like to stay under 2" at 25 yards just because.

mmc45414
03-29-2018, 08:36 PM
I have some 126 cast SWCs from Dardas I am going to try for accuracy.Please report back. I bought some but they keyholed in my M&P, do not remember if it was the one I had put the Apex barrel in or not. I only got 100 to try and my buddy shot them up for me in his 1911 and they seemed fine. Now that I have a couple of 9mm 1911s I am curious...

Pistol Pete 10
03-29-2018, 10:47 PM
Please report back. I bought some but they keyholed in my M&P, do not remember if it was the one I had put the Apex barrel in or not. I only got 100 to try and my buddy shot them up for me in his 1911 and they seemed fine. Now that I have a couple of 9mm 1911s I am curious...

I've shot a few in a Citadel 1911, Unique powder, they shot Okay but not bullseye accuracy. I have a new Dan Wesson Commander, I hope for better results from the DW. I didn't get any keyholes with them.

Trooper224
03-29-2018, 11:12 PM
I've used the 126 cast SWCs from Dardas with good results. However, I've replaced them with this bullet: http://www.evergladesammo.com/bullets/handgun-bullets/y-9mm-124gr-fmj-bullets.html

This 124 grain fmj over 5.9 grains of BE-86 is the most accurate load I've yet tried in a 9mm.

45dotACP
03-29-2018, 11:52 PM
I like 6.5 of power pistol with a 115gr bullet.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

PhillySoldier
03-30-2018, 06:15 AM

This shouldnt be a problem. Ive been saving my 9mm brass for the past 1.5 yrs. I have two 5-gallon buckets full; all of the same brand. I think theres 10-15k of brass in each bucket. That should keep me busy for awhile

PhillySoldier
03-30-2018, 06:19 AM
Information overload... Thanks though I do appreciate all the responses and am taking notes of everything.

I picked up a new workbench from home depot yesterday and my new dillon press is in transit and should be here by tuesday. Im gonna hit a few local shops this weekend and see what they have in stock and go from there. If they dont have some of the recommended items, I'll order them online

mmc45414
03-30-2018, 07:02 AM
I've shot a few in a Citadel 1911, Unique powder, they shot Okay but not bullseye accuracy.Thanks for that, I don't know why that bullet intrigues me, it just does. But if it is not doing anything special for you I will move it farther down on the lists of pending experiments.

I've used the 126 cast SWCs from Dardas with good results. However, I've replaced them with this bullet: http://www.evergladesammo.com/bullets/handgun-bullets/y-9mm-124gr-fmj-bullets.html
This 124 grain fmj over 5.9 grains of BE-86 is the most accurate load I've yet tried in a 9mm.
I also switched over to the Everglades jacketed, though I have been using the 115g. Have not really done any testing but they seem great. After getting the 9mm AR I didn't like CLB for it, and I didn't like loading two loads.

Almost finished with a batch of 8k with the 115g over 4.5 of Tightgroup so I should be set for a while. Or at least a little while... :)

jeep45238
03-30-2018, 08:09 AM
I知 having great luck with minimum and maximum loads of Prima V under a 135 grain bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LtDave
03-30-2018, 11:43 AM
Some loads that have shot well for me:

115 grain jacketed bullets with 6.0 Power Pistol, 6.1 WSF, 4.5 Bullseye. I have used Hornady HAP, Montana Gold and Nosler JHPs.
147 grain jacketed bullets with 4.0 WSF, 4.9 or 5.1 AA#5, 4.5 Power Pistol. Hornady FMJ RN and Montana Gold CMJ.
147 grain polymer coated bullets with 3.3 N320.

I use Winchester SP primers. The 6.1 WSF load is likely a +P load.

Jim Watson
03-30-2018, 12:42 PM
Just today talking to a PPC shooter. He uses for the autopistol competitions a 115 gr JHP from Magnus Bullets (actually made by Zero, Magnus is mostly a caster) and a slightly below factory equivalent load of Bullseye.

LtDave
03-30-2018, 02:50 PM
Just today talking to a PPC shooter. He uses for the autopistol competitions a 115 gr JHP from Magnus Bullets (actually made by Zero, Magnus is mostly a caster) and a slightly below factory equivalent load of Bullseye.

Pretty close to 4.5 grains I'll reckon. :-). Alliant lists 4.7 as max with a Speer 115 GDHP.

Jim Watson
03-30-2018, 03:25 PM
I think less, but will not try to go from memory. Your gun might be different anyhow.

Mike C
04-01-2018, 08:58 AM
I知 having great luck with minimum and maximum loads of Prima V under a 135 grain bullet.

I think GuanoLoco talked about this powder here and has a decent sized thread about it on Enos. I am interested in trying some I've been meaning to get around and order some but every time I find Unique local for $110-120 for 8lbs I can't stop myself from buying it, (no damned hazmat or shipping). It's just so damn cheap and I can get everything from bunny fart loads to factory +P velocities with it. Not to mention I can load just about ever caliber minus magnum stuff. Have you run the Prima V with 115, 124 or 147? How is it in the accuracy and velocity department?

jeep45238
04-01-2018, 10:26 AM
I think GuanoLoco talked about this powder here and has a decent sized thread about it on Enos. I am interested in trying some I've been meaning to get around and order some but every time I find Unique local for $110-120 for 8lbs I can't stop myself from buying it, (no damned hazmat or shipping). It's just so damn cheap and I can get everything from bunny fart loads to factory +P velocities with it. Not to mention I can load just about ever caliber minus magnum stuff. Have you run the Prima V with 115, 124 or 147? How is it in the accuracy and velocity department?

I've just loaded 135gr with it. Accuracy has been phenominal at 2.9 and 3.8 grains of Prima V - the 2.9 is a bunny fart, and I had 2 buddies shoot it who need a lot of work in recoil management (and of course, failure to extract). Myself and another friend had no issues with the low loads.

Speeds ranged from 880 to 1100, with charge weights of 2.8-4.0 grains out of a P226 (118-148 power factor). I shoot coated lead, and noticed much less leading at the lower velocities than I had with W231, and no smoke to speak of (outdoor range).

deputyG23
04-01-2018, 07:10 PM
I have had good results with the 122 grain Dardas flat point bullet sized .357 in several different 9mm handguns with a 5.4 grain charge of BE-86. Got about 1135 FPS average with a Glock 19 and a SIG P250 compact.

Gio
04-02-2018, 03:04 PM
I'm far from a reloading expert, but I personally load for powerfactor first, then work on accuracy.

I tend to use powders that have a reputation for constancy and accuracy, such as VV N320.

For example, in 9mm, I found 3.0, 3.1, and 3.2 grains of N320 under a 145gr bayou bullet got me about 129, 133, and 136 PF.

I prefer the 133 because it gives me a good buffer for chrono variation. Then I'll load 10 rounds each at various OAL's like 1.090, 1.100, 1.110, 1.120, 1.130.

I'll take these out and shoot them off a sandbag rest or ransom rest and find the one with the smallest group size. I'll typically see a huge variation in group size caused by the OAL. I've seen as big as 4-5" groups and as small as 1.5" groups using the exact same bullet, powder, and charge but loaded to different OAL's.

Spartan1980
04-07-2018, 04:23 PM
Wow. This thread's timing is just uncanny. I've recently started looking for another powder, like in the last week or so. lol

I've loaded 1000's of 9mm for USPSA minor and have found that uber fast powders really are the ticket for soft recoil impulse but not so much for grouping. I've found that uber consistent chrono numbers don't translate directly to an accurate load.

I've been running e3 lately and have used a bunch of WST in the past with lead, coated and plated bullets. With WST I can get really crappy ES and SD numbers but they will group as good as e3 that gets great ES and SD numbers.

I'm looking for more accuracy these days. I've noted that the 122grain NLG coated bullet I'm running will group almost into a single hole out of my M&P .357 but not nearly as good out of my M&P 9 or 9Pro. If I were shooting jacketed the jug of Titegroup I have would be the obvious answer since it's cheap, super consistent and seemingly easy to get an accurate load with. But it burns too hot for lead or coated. From what I have been able to gather a powder like Power Pistol or WSF and anything in the area of Unique's burn rate if pushed towards the upper end of the load range generally gives better results.

Thanks for the thread, now I have another to keep an eye on for ideas.

PhillySoldier
04-07-2018, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the info. Ive finally gotten most of the equipment i had ordered and cranked out my first hundred rounds out of the press which actually took me most if the day with setup, adjustments and growing pains.

I bought 5 different brands of jacketed bullets and the titegroup powder. Starting with Sierra 115 fmj and gonna run 50 each from 4.2 to 4.7.

When working on new loads, how many do you make and test with and in what increments?

jeep45238
04-07-2018, 05:47 PM
I make 10 rounds with .2 grain increments to find a power factor/recoil/accuracy that I知 happy with. After that I vary the oal to find a sweetspot.

45dotACP
04-07-2018, 06:23 PM
6.5gr Power Pistol with 115gr cast bullets is a pretty good duplicate for most +P carry ammo. It's also heckin accurate and loud and flashy, which is a plus IMO

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

willie
05-26-2018, 03:57 PM
Dardas bullets were mentioned. Dardas offers bullets in a choice of diameters. Most suppliers sell 9mm cast bullets in .356 diameter, but this vendor gives additional choices of .357 and .358. 9mm barrel diameters are often larger than the nominal .355. For this reason, .357 or .358 cast bullets will cure leading and accuracy problems. When loading these, the Lyman M die is ideal. If using a Lee Auto Measure with its powder through the expander, for a few dollars buy the expander made for the round with this caliber designation: 38 S&W. It's shorter and larger in diameter and will nicely accommodate the larger bullets.

PhillySoldier
08-15-2018, 10:30 AM
Just a small update. I went out a couple weeks ago to run a test comparing Hornady 115g - FMJ's vs HAP vs JHP. I made up 200 rounds of each projectile type; 20 rounds of each 0.1g increment (2 shot groups of 10). The test went well but I want to make up an additional 100 rounds each of HAP vs JHP at a lower charge weight range before concluding. So far though as expected the HAP's & JHP's are very similar in shot group size and better than the FMJ's. So far though the difference hasnt been much and comparing the best shot groups is averaging only a 0.1" difference. Im currently refinishing my garage and make a new reloading bench and area. So maybe a bit before Im up and running and finishing my next test

1986s4
08-16-2018, 06:44 PM
I've tried to move away from VV powders only because they can be hard to find and expensive but I keep coming back because they work so well. N320 is great for games and accurate enough at typical IDPA/USPSA distances. But lately I've been wanting to shoot out past 25m, like 30, 40, 50, and last time at 75m. Best results have been with a quality FMJ or HP and VV N340. Hornady HAP's are great and I've heard that the Montana gold 121 IFP is also very accurate. I think Zero has a similar bullet too. Oh, and sort your brass by headstamp/brand, the 9mm case doesn't have a lot of capacity so it matters.

PhillySoldier
08-17-2018, 05:05 AM
I've tried to move away from VV powders only because they can be hard to find and expensive but I keep coming back because they work so well. N320 is great for games and accurate enough at typical IDPA/USPSA distances. But lately I've been wanting to shoot out past 25m, like 30, 40, 50, and last time at 75m. Best results have been with a quality FMJ or HP and VV N340. Hornady HAP's are great and I've heard that the Montana gold 121 IFP is also very accurate. I think Zero has a similar bullet too. Oh, and sort your brass by headstamp/brand, the 9mm case doesn't have a lot of capacity so it matters..

I believe Ive mentioned my results w the n320 as well as comparying the different hornady projectiles so far. I havent tried N340. As far as brass I have only two brands currently and they are separated. A previous test showed a rather large difference between the two. Shot groups were around 1" w the one brand and with the other everything was atleast a half inch larger. And yes ive heard good things about MG and Zero also. Looking forward to testing them in the future

1986s4
08-17-2018, 09:31 AM

I believe Ive mentioned my results w the n320 as well as comparying the different hornady projectiles so far. I havent tried N340. As far as brass I have only two brands currently and they are separated. A previous test showed a rather large difference between the two. Shot groups were around 1" w the one brand and with the other everything was atleast a half inch larger. And yes ive heard good things about MG and Zero also. Looking forward to testing them in the future

Great! It sounds like you are your way. The story I heard behind the MG 121 IFP [International Flat Point] is that it was a happy accident. In some countries HP bullets are not allowed yet are more accurate. So MG took their already good 115 HP and filled in the cavity creating a 121 with a flat tip. Turned out to be very accurate and popular with the USPSA 9mm major crowd.

PhillySoldier
08-17-2018, 10:35 AM
In my testing so far the HAP's & JHP's have been more accurate but im kinda surprised it really hasnt been by much in the brands ive tried so far. In factory ammo ive tried Atlanta Arms and in reloading Hornday; in both comparing same weight bullets except fmj, hap, jhp. The shot group size improvement ive been getting mainly averages 0.1" in 10 rnd groups at 25 yards

boatbum101
01-05-2019, 01:48 PM
Once David Sams with the AMU was able to get the Berretta 92's to shoot to team standards & other Bullseye 'smiths started building 9mm 1911's I considered it . Once I found out how costly & labor intensive it was to consistantly get X ring accuracy @ 50yds I passed . They started with the 115gr Sierra FMJ & the Horn 115 XTP . It was found that a slower twist 1 in 32 barrels were needed to be competitive . Power Pistol , WSF & VV N330 were the ticket , because N330 is so hard to get N320 & 340 got the nod . I was told to use new or 1X fired Starline cases & Rem 5 1/2 SPM primers . Internal case dimensions were required to be consistant hence new brass every time . Well if one's not a sponsored shooter it gets pricey quick . These days some like the 147 XTP with faster twist barrels . I have yet to see anyone clean a 50yd NRA B-6 target with any kind of cast or plated bullet shot from a 9mm . As a Bullseye shooter I find it humorous when people talk about accuracy @ shorter ranges . I've tested enough guns / ammo that I can tell you a load that'll give a 1" 10 round group @ 25yds might not shoot 6" @ 50yds . I just continue to shoot 45acp in both CF & 45 sections of a 2700 . Went through all that years ago with 38 special in both S&W 52 & a Giles 1911 . 38 will hurt your scores far more than help . Now 38 Super is like the 45acp in that it'll shoot lead extremely well @ 50yds . If I were to build a dedicated CF it would be 38 Super not 9mm .