PDA

View Full Version : Scott Reitz & "The Art of Gunfighting"

Tony Muhlenkamp
02-06-2012, 01:22 PM
I recall a thread (or maybe an article) about allowing the chambered round to fall into your hand while locking the slide to the rear and they myriad problems with doing it that way instead of just letting the round fall out onto the ground. Most of those concerns make sense to me.

However, Scott Reitz describes this method in his book, with a rationale for why he thinks it is a good idea. He thinks it serves as a check to ensure the round is out of the chamber; since it wasn't in your hand when you got started, it must have come from the chamber. I don't think it negates concerns about muzzle control, but he was the first person I've come across that does it for a reason other than it "looks cool". (Although, to quote Awerbuck, the first rule of gunfighting is to look cool, so maybe that is sufficient unto itself. :) I should point out Louis was being sarcastic at the time.)

I thought his book did a pretty good job of covering; and explaining, fundamentals of gun handling, marksmanship and mindset and it has helped me diagnose problems and provided things to focus on with my drills.

FWIW

Tony Muhlenkamp

Odin Bravo One
02-06-2012, 07:45 PM
While this topic is not the first thing I willl disagree with Uncle Scotty about, I have the highest level of respect for his opinion on the topic of solving problems with guns. Perhaps the only thing I miss about no longer living in California is that his courses are no longer a 2.5 hour drive away. And even though I don't always agree with his thoughts or opinions, they are worth studying. A great trainer with perfect combination of experience, and teaching ability.

LittleLebowski
02-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Perhaps the only thing I miss about no longer living in California is that his courses are no longer a 2.5 hour drive away.

Don't forget the Mexican food....

Odin Bravo One
02-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Yeah, Breakfast Burrito from Jalisco's and Carne Asada Burrito from Las Poncho's.

Best $3.00 meals on the planet.

I have however, managed to get over not having access to real Mexican food. Missing out on training opportunities with Scott Reitz does still suck. However, since he retired, he is getting out a little more often, even all the way to FL. Perhaps a squared away, and motivated shooter could host a Scott Reitz class in their area.

...................................Jay?

JHC
02-07-2012, 06:07 AM
Ken Hackathorn doesn't do it to look cool either. Although he doesn't pop it up in the air. Just out into the cupped over weak hand as I've found safe and easy to do for decades. May not be the method to teach an agency. But like drawing a loaded gun quickly, it's dangerous, but not unsafe if you do it correctly.

Tony Muhlenkamp
02-07-2012, 06:13 AM
Sean M,

Scott Reitz is scheduled to come to Pittsburgh PA and offer his Intermediate Handgun and Carbine Refresher Class October 6-8. I was going to wait a while to post it in the training forum, but I will go ahead and put it up now. You can find the exact dates, course description and registration instructions at www.fireinstitute.org.

Marty Hayes
02-07-2012, 01:02 PM
I am working through the book now. So far, his chapters regarding mindset and legal issues are very good. He appears to be a devotee of "The Modern Technique" which is interesting considering the majority of instructors have eschewed for more competition driven shooting techniques. I will have a detailed review of the book done before the end of the month, and will post it here.

Jay Cunningham
02-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Looks like somebody "beat me to it" Sean - lol

Tony Muhlenkamp
02-07-2012, 03:04 PM
He appears to be a devotee of "The Modern Technique" which is interesting considering the majority of instructors have eschewed for more competition driven shooting techniques. I will have a detailed review of the book done before the end of the month, and will post it here.

I look forward to the review; and maybe you can start another thread on why instructors are eschewing "The Modern Technique" for more competition driven shooting techniques. Does it relate to the whole "fighting with a gun" thread that was posted a little while ago?

Jay Cunningham
02-07-2012, 03:08 PM
I look forward to the review; and maybe you can start another thread on why instructors are eschewing "The Modern Technique" for more competition driven shooting techniques. Does it relate to the whole "fighting with a gun" thread that was posted a little while ago?

This question can devolve rapidly. Proceed with caution.

Tony Muhlenkamp
02-07-2012, 03:10 PM
This question can devolve rapidly. Proceed with caution.

Do you think I should withdraw the question?

Jay Cunningham
02-07-2012, 03:14 PM
No.

And feel free to start a thread on it - where I will repeat my caution.

We have proven that we can have civil discussions here on hot-button topics.