PDA

View Full Version : "Morphing" Karambit on Kickstarter

Chance
03-20-2018, 03:57 PM
I'm not really a knife guy, but this looks neat. More details on the Kickstarter campaign (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/caswellknives/caswell-morphing-karambit-premium-utility-knife). Evidently, the prototype has been around for a while, but the designed is now wanting to put it in large scale production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtuq2CCsBXY

Thoughts?

Wondering Beard
03-20-2018, 04:23 PM
Nifty.

Looks like it beats the recent NYC interpretation of gravity knife laws.

I wonder how solid it is though. there are quite a few moving parts. Still, an interesting idea.

SeriousStudent
03-20-2018, 06:13 PM
It does look a bit complex to me. I do like karambits, and carry a fixed or folding one quite frequently.

I would have to burn a whole lot of reps with that, before I carried one.

blues
03-20-2018, 06:15 PM
I give it engineering style points. I don't think it's something I'd be interested in owning or carrying.

Chance
03-20-2018, 08:21 PM
The intended retail price is apparently $650. That would put this in the 'No' category for me.

BillSWPA
03-20-2018, 08:22 PM
Very interesting: I like everything about it except that the price is more than I am willing to spend on a knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olstyn
03-20-2018, 09:56 PM
Yeah, neat gimmick != worth $650. Hard pass, even though I would very much like to play with one.

WobblyPossum
03-20-2018, 10:11 PM
The $450 Kickstarter price seems pretty unreasonable to me but apparently my opinion is unique because these folks have already met their fundraising goal several times over.

–————————————————
My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Rex G
03-21-2018, 06:11 AM
Well, no, thanks. Interesting engineering exercise, but, not a practical karambit, for me.

For those of us who know what a rear brake is, and use it, well, there is no rear brake. A rear brake is not a separate part, but a shaping of the ring where it joins the rear of the handle, where it engages the middle finger while holding the karambit in the extended grip.

Again, as a design exercise, this is interesting.

EVP
03-21-2018, 02:13 PM
Cool little gadget but for a serious blade, I would strongly pass especially at the price. Seems like it would make a good paper weight/something to fiddle with at a desk.

I have no experience training with a Karambit but if I did I would go with a Steve Tarani design or someone similar.

I find when using specialized weapons especially blades that usually the person who has vast experience using a particular style has certain preferences and design considerations when selecting that particular knife.

Hot Sauce
03-23-2018, 03:16 AM
$650? GTFO.

Jakus
01-13-2019, 12:13 PM
Looks like CRKT is going produce this thing. Saw a YouTube clip from BladeHQ for all new 2019 CRKT products and there it was...

Price point looks much improved. I have zero karambit experience but this thing looks cool. It’ll be interesting to see what the street price ends up being.

https://www.crkt.com/provoke.html

Chance
01-13-2019, 12:23 PM
For $200, it might be worth an experiment.

Totem Polar
01-13-2019, 12:44 PM
The intended retail price is apparently $650.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/cf300baf23e2f6b255fe2716dcf68622/tenor.gif?itemid=3358378

Norville
01-13-2019, 01:00 PM
Joe Caswell has designed some really interesting knives, always on the expensive side. I did buy one of his most recent fixed blades. In spite of a little too much “secret agency black ops can’t divulge names” marketing spin it’s a hell of a knife.

I handled the prototype at theUSN show in Las Vegas last fall. It was really cool, an engineering marvel and not something I’d buy.

There was a guy from CRKT hanging around the table, now I know why.

SeriousStudent
01-13-2019, 01:27 PM
I'll snag one, and report back after sharing it with some other karambit users.

Totem Polar
01-13-2019, 02:07 PM
For $200, it might be worth an experiment.

At the $200 MSRP for the CRKT version, I might buy one to keep around the office as a “fidget spinner” that I can use to open boxes. :)

Especially since we all know that they’ll be out there for under $125, shipped, all day long from knifecenter, et al, in 6 months.

Hey, speaking of, you should license the gadget to CRKT, Tom. Nice, passive royalty stream for you, and a $39.95 MSRP/$29.95 street for the forged by war crowd—which probably exceeds the P-F koolaid crowd by four digit percentage points. ;)

ETA: or, you could do a TAD edition Gen 5 gadget: damascus steel for $199.95...

Warped Mindless
01-13-2019, 02:20 PM
I'll pass. Never understood the point of karambits when a knife made for stabbing works better for defensive situations.

JodyH
01-13-2019, 03:45 PM
At the $200 MSRP for the CRKT version, I might buy one to keep around the office as a “fidget spinner” that I can use to open boxes. :)
I already have mine pre-ordered from BladeHQ.
Dangerous fidget spinner is how I justified buying it.
:cool:

Drang
01-13-2019, 06:38 PM
I'll pass. Never understood the point of karambits when a knife made for stabbing works better for defensive situations.

My understanding is that it's intended to be used under specific circumstances using specific techniques. Someone ask Steve Tarani.

Rex G
01-13-2019, 06:48 PM

A “properly-done” Indonesian-style karambit is made for stabbing. The product shown in the demo video does not have enough curve, in the blade, to be used in the way I am talking about.

JohnO
01-13-2019, 06:55 PM
What will the people who consider a folding knife a broken knife call that?

SeriousStudent
01-13-2019, 10:01 PM
My understanding is that it's intended to be used under specific circumstances using specific techniques. Someone ask Steve Tarani.

Yup. I have taken several classes with Steve. I honestly think carrying a karambit without training specific to that tool is not helpful.

That's why I own all his books and videos, have trained with him several times, and own seven or eight of the things. I'd have to go count to be sure.

I'm not urinating in anyone's Cheerio's. If a tool or technique is just not for you, then play Taps and drive on.

I have the practice and reps with one, I'll try it and report back, as mentioned.

Hambo
01-14-2019, 08:20 AM
I already have mine pre-ordered from BladeHQ.
Dangerous fidget spinner is how I justified buying it.

Hmmm. Based on history, Hambo + dangerous fidget spinner = trip to ER for somebody.

JodyH
01-14-2019, 12:13 PM
Hmmm. Based on history, Hambo + dangerous fidget spinner = trip to ER for somebody.
I'm pretty sure that after just two more trips to the ER the next one will be free.
I gotta check my loyalty card balance to verify though.

BillSWPA
01-14-2019, 02:15 PM
I don’t see something like this replacing a Cold Steel Storm Cloud or Spyderco Waved Delica in my pocket the vast majority of the time. However, I do go a few places where I am limited to 2.5” blades. Depending on the ultimate dealer price, I may try one of these for that reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hambo
01-14-2019, 03:11 PM
I'm pretty sure that after just two more trips to the ER the next one will be free.
I gotta check my loyalty card balance to verify though.

After my last two experiences, I'm on the DIY plan.

I do like this knife. It's really not a bad price a D2 blade and lots of moving parts.

JodyH
01-14-2019, 03:39 PM
I don’t see something like this replacing a Cold Steel Storm Cloud or Spyderco Waved Delica in my pocket the vast majority of the time.
What I like most about the CRKT is the low profile deep carry clip.
Most Karambits (especially the polished Spyderco Karahawk) have that large ring sticking up out of your pocket letting everyone know exactly what's there.

BillSWPA
01-14-2019, 03:43 PM
What I like most about the CRKT is the low profile deep carry clip.
Most Karambits (especially the polished Spyderco Karahawk) have that large ring sticking up out of your pocket letting everyone know exactly what's there.

Agree 100%.

I wish more knifemakers would realize the importance of discretion. That includes:

1) Generally low profile clips, preferably epoxy powder-coated black (not painted - paint rubs off over time).
2) Clips that keep the knife relatively deep in the pocket.

Totem Polar
01-23-2019, 05:23 PM
This damn place. I just caved on a 154 dollar provoke on Amazon. And I don't even like kerambits. Mods here are shit.

JodyH
01-23-2019, 05:46 PM
Mine is already in route, scheduled for Friday delivery but the tracking shows it has a high probability of being in my little raccoon paws by tomorrow.
I've already made sure my "veterinarian" suture kit is handy next to my desk.

JodyH
01-24-2019, 01:31 PM
Time to start coon-fingering it.
Wish me luck.

JodyH
01-24-2019, 01:45 PM
The best part is the clip, cool low profile design, especially for a Karambit.
The action is still a bit stiff, but after some Chris Reeve knife grease it's getting slicker with every fidgit.

JodyH
01-24-2019, 02:07 PM
FYI: you can easily "wave" it open if you slightly drag it towards the back of your pocket on the draw.

luckyman
01-24-2019, 02:39 PM
That clip is really appealing. I just wish the blade curved around to the front so you can use more of a punching action with the implement. I’m just not comfortable if the Karambit doesn’t support a punching motion.

JodyH
01-24-2019, 02:52 PM
That clip is really appealing. I just wish the blade curved around to the front so you can use more of a punching action with the implement. I’m just not comfortable if the Karambit doesn’t support a punching motion.
It works like a "knuckle duster" when jabbing and as a talon when throwing a hook.
The beefy handle and ring make for an awesome "knuckle duster" with plenty of support backing everything up in your hand even if you don't deploy the blade.
I'm going to play with it some more at the gym over the next few weeks but right now it appears to be a very versatile multi-tool of hate.

luckyman
01-24-2019, 03:12 PM
I played with it a bit at the CRKT booth today. It's neat. I asked the booth dude if they planned a trainer for it and got the expected noncommittal "well, we thought about that, blah blah blah..." nothing response.

Ah no!!!!
Man I already lost a lot of “points” with my wife the one time I took myself to the emergency clinic for stitches when I was confirming my deployment technique with a live karambit folder and err discovered a hole in my deployment technique. Lack of a trainer is a big deal.

luckyman
01-24-2019, 03:17 PM
I've already made sure my "veterinarian" suture kit is handy next to my desk.

[emoji106]

Totem Polar
01-26-2019, 06:53 PM
Down to 149 on the 'zon now...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HYWFGN8

JodyH
01-26-2019, 08:13 PM
I may pick up a second one at that price to turn into a trainer.
The blade is just held on by two screws, so replacing it with a shaped piece of Delrin plastic would be a breeze.

SeriousStudent
01-26-2019, 09:52 PM
I may pick up a second one at that price to turn into a trainer.
The blade is just held on by two screws, so replacing it with a shaped piece of Delrin plastic would be a breeze.

Jody, how secure are those two screws, in your opinion?

I'm not planning on taking down a mastadon with it, but I'd rather not drop two bills on something that will work lose.

Thanks very much.

JodyH
01-26-2019, 10:39 PM
Jody, how secure are those two screws, in your opinion?

I'm not planning on taking down a mastadon with it, but I'd rather not drop two bills on something that will work lose.

Thanks very much.
The design seems plenty strong, probably as strong or stronger than the single pivot screw on a regular folding knife.
All four screws secure the pivot bearings the same as most traditional folders do.

SeriousStudent
01-26-2019, 11:16 PM
Excellent, thank you for your observations.

JodyH
02-13-2019, 06:00 PM
I've been playing with the Provoke as much as my tennis elbow will let me.
It's a damn fine "strikers knife", especially if you've done any Muay Thai.

You can use it as a knuckle duster with right cross, or deploy the blade and have a wicked cutting right hook. Using an elbow strike to cut someone takes on a whole other meaning when you add in a Karambit.
It is to ranged striking what the Clinch Pick is to grappling, a force multiplier.

Downsides, it requires two hands to close safely and it's right handed only.

JodyH
02-13-2019, 09:02 PM
By "right hand only" I'm talking about using the pocket clip.
The knife can be opened and used by either hand.

And the reason I specified Muay Thai is the hand position, striking combinations and angles work extremely well with the Karambit blade orientation.

Totem Polar
03-13-2019, 02:51 PM
Quick point of interest on these: the one I ordered in Jan (Amazon) was perpetually marked "Arriving by March 13th," then "arriving by Wednesday," and finally "arriving by tomorrow at 8pm." I found that interesting, since there was no ship notification. Today, I get an email from Amazon saying that I needed to approve my order, since there is a delay, which I did. The next step seemed to be a quick call to CRKT to see what the scuttlebutt on these was, so I called and asked.

Mid to late June. I guess sales exceeded useable supply by a fairly large margin. So, if anyone is on the fence, may as well stay on the fence until summer Q. FWEIW.

PNWTO
09-17-2019, 10:55 PM
Necro’ing this thread to see if JodyH or anyone else has any updates? Got bit by the karambit bug and the Provoke looks like a good, low-profile solution with how deep it sits.

BigT
09-18-2019, 12:01 AM
Necro’ing this thread to see if @JodyH (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=157) or anyone else has any updates? Got bit by the karambit bug and the Provoke looks like a good, low-profile solution with how deep it sits.

I bought one. Second time it opened itself in my pocket it got put aside to go back to the agents to sort.

Totem Polar
09-18-2019, 01:17 AM
Necro’ing this thread to see if JodyH or anyone else has any updates? Got bit by the karambit bug and the Provoke looks like a good, low-profile solution with how deep it sits.

I’ve been carrying one daily for months—at first spurred on by numerous business trips to Seattle, and now just because I like it. My thoughts are pretty much unchanged from this old post:

I am already quite taken with it. When I first pulled it out, I used two hands to gently swing the blade off the detent to get a feel for how it opened, and which way the blade went. After 2 1/2 seconds of that, it was off to the races: I’ve already done dozens, if not a hundred + practice draws from inside the waistband with no failures to open. It’s quite foolproof. No clinch pick for speed and robust IF access, mind, but it’s the most fumble-proof “folder” I’ve owned. Plus, it’s cool and unusual. So far, so good toting it around in my waistband; no issues.

I will be in Seattle no less than 4 times for business over the summer, and the city ordinance there says knives have to be folders with blades under 3". While I’m pretty sure that this thing is not what the drafters had in mind, it clearly "folds," and the blade is listed as 2.4"—which my ruler confirms. Fits the bill, as they say, with vengeance. I am no Karambit guy, but this thing really works as a folding knife, assuming reverse grip is your bag.

I totally dig it. You should snag one when the rush dies down a bit. JMO.

LittleLebowski
09-18-2019, 06:06 AM
Is this thread going to cost me money?

JodyH
09-18-2019, 06:29 AM
Still carry mine regularly.
No issues with it "self opening" unless I force it to, mine still has the right amount of resistance to overcome in order to get things moving open. Nothing has loosened up or become sloppy despite me playing with it all the time.
I still think it's one of the best Karambits out there for low profile daily carry, a little heavier than my Spyderco (second favorite) but theres no polished ring sticking out to give it away either like on the Spyderco.
Another awesome thing about the clip is I've yet to hang it on anything. Seems every other knife I carry regularly I snag the clip on something and bend the shit out of it at least once a year.

I must have received one of the first ones released because a large multi-store semi-local knife dealer said he's just now starting to have them trickle in from the order he made way back when they were first announced.
He was shocked when I told him i'd had mine since January. He didn't believe me until I showed him the dated picture on my phone from when I received it.

BTW: those who wear Duluth pants (at least the Firehose-Flex cargo pants) the Provoke fits perfectly down in that little whatever pocket at the bottom of the right front hand pocket.
That's where I carry it now unless my NAA Pug is there instead.

CCT125US
09-18-2019, 06:48 AM
-How can we make CCT125US buy our knife?
-Think of a P7M8...