PDA

View Full Version : Both Eyes Open - Micro Red Dot

GAP
03-20-2018, 07:36 AM
Good Morning,

I understand the proper way to shoot a micro red dot like an Aimpoint is to look at the Target with both eyes open and have the dot appear on the target. I shoot left handed, but I am right eye dominant and I feel like that is making it difficult to pick the dot up in daylight shooting.

I have zero problems shooting my Glocks with both eyes open and iron sights.

Is closing one eye for a red dot “wrong?” Id prefer to shoot with both eyes open if possible.

Can anyone provide any advice for improving or suggest sticking with one eye closed if it works?

I appreciate it, thank you.

Wayne Dobbs
03-20-2018, 07:57 AM
Both eyes open is critical to making any RDS work well and quickly. If you're having to close an eye, you now essentially have a scope and not a dot sight. You might try putting a strip of clear tape over your non-shooting side lens and spend some time working the system that way. I'm also cross dominant and don't notice any issues at all with an Aimpoint. If the tape thing doesn't work, you need to start shooting from your dominant side with the carbine and that learning curve isn't as bad as you might think.

GAP
03-20-2018, 08:08 AM
Both eyes open is critical to making any RDS work well and quickly. If you're having to close an eye, you now essentially have a scope and not a dot sight. You might try putting a strip of clear tape over your non-shooting side lens and spend some time working the system that way. I'm also cross dominant and don't notice any issues at all with an Aimpoint. If the tape thing doesn't work, you need to start shooting from your dominant side with the carbine and that learning curve isn't as bad as you might think.

Thank you, sounds like I just need more reps; I just wanted confirmation that closing one eye is wrong. :)

Talionis
03-20-2018, 10:44 AM
Wayne pretty much covered it. Target focus with both eyes open is "the way" when it comes to RDS. I too am cross eye dominant (right handed, left eye dominant) and have found that there is an interesting phenomenon when I shoot an RDS equipped rifle from the right shoulder. In my observation, it appears that I am in a way "extra target focused" when my dominant eye isn't behind the glass. In effect, it is easier to stay target focused and drive to exactly where I want the shot to go rather than falling in to the trap of chasing the dot.

The tradeoff is that it is more difficult for me to get the correct sight picture for a longer precision shot when shooting from the right shoulder. That is one of the many instances where it makes sense for me to switch to the left shoulder. As Wayne says, the learning curve really isn't bad for being able to switch-hit a rifle. I've found that my times on various standards are virtually identical either left or right handed, it's a worthwhile skill to pick up.

Peally
03-20-2018, 11:04 AM
I'm cross dominant and have no problems keeping both eyes open using an RDS?

Are you focusing on the dot? You should be target focused shooting with one.

GAP
03-20-2018, 09:23 PM
I'm cross dominant and have no problems keeping both eyes open using an RDS?

Are you focusing on the dot? You should be target focused shooting with one.

You know what I think my issue is... Not establishing a consistent cheek position when I bring the rifle up; I just end up chasing the dot.

I just did 25 reps from the low-ready and it seemed fine when I took my time, looked past the optic, and focused on an object.

Thanks, I think I just need more practice with the red dot. I am used to running only iron sights on both pistols and rifles.

GAP
03-21-2018, 04:06 PM
Well that went well! Slowed down and did 8 Mags worth of F2S.. world of difference! By the end I was pulling the trigger and on target as soon as the rifle came up!

Thanks for the enlightenment!

Spartan1980
03-21-2018, 11:06 PM
I'm not cross dominant but I'd just move the gun over a bit? It's kinda weird that you don't have issues with irons.

FWIW, I never could shoot both eyes open no matter how hard I tried before I put an Aimpoint on my long gun. Some work with that got me headed in the right direction with the pistol. That's probably no help to you guys though. When it started occurring for me I actually would catch myself shooting both eyes open, it wasn't really a conscious action on my part.

Edit: My bad. I just saw this is in the rifle/carbine forum. I thought you were talking pistol with a RDS.