PDA

View Full Version : 100 Years Celebration for Women & the 1911

JulieG
03-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Both the 1911 and International Women's Day are celebrating 100 years! Something tells me that the International Women's Day website probably might not be thrilled with the correlation (although I'd love to be wrong about that). I think its pretty cool though. Might have to go fire a few shots out of my S&W1911 today... :)

Kyle Reese
03-08-2011, 11:36 AM
Love them or hate them, there is no denying that the 1911 outlasted all of it's contemporaries from the early 20th Century, and the trenches of WWI. :cool:

Weapons like the Nagant M1895, Pistole 08 Luger, Roth-Steyr M1907, etc have long faded into relative obscurity.

LittleLebowski
03-08-2011, 11:41 AM
A weapon for patient people :D

ToddG
03-08-2011, 11:45 AM
A weapon for mental patient people :D

Fixed it for you. :cool:

LittleLebowski
03-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Agreed, thanks.

John Ralston
03-08-2011, 12:13 PM
If I had my choice of a 1911 or a woman, I would pick the woman (and that might actually surprise my wife)! ;)

So here's to International Women's Day!

JulieG
03-08-2011, 12:17 PM
If I had my choice of a 1911 or a woman, I would pick the woman (and that might actually surprise my wife)! ;)

So here's to International Women's Day!

Aww... :)

MTechnik
03-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Both have light triggers and require proper handling, but if done right, they will be very rewarding.

Neglect them and you'll be cursing.

YVK
03-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Very few people in U.S. know of significance of 8th of March. Coolest thing about it that an event that was conceived and propagated as a purely political function in most politicized society got transformed into a day of humanity, love and appreciation.

Congratulations to all women here and everywhere!

You got it all backwards on 1911, gentlemen [Todd and LL], you need to go spend time with one;). I, for one, have no patience to work those Glock and H&K triggers... :cool:

orionz06
03-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Now if only I could convince my fiancée she needs a 1911 to celebrate. It would allow me to shoot a 1911 as I please but still be able to be honest when I say I don't own one.

TCinVA
03-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Ironically, I think the position of women globally would be a lot better if they had ready access to a 1911...

Kyle Reese
03-08-2011, 12:45 PM
You got that right.

Ironically, I think the position of women globally would be a lot better if they had ready access to a 1911...

fuse
03-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Both have light triggers and require proper handling, but if done right, they will be very rewarding.

Post of the month

JulieG
03-08-2011, 02:29 PM

I think that applies to men too! Just might add to it that they work best when fed well :)

LittleLebowski
03-08-2011, 02:47 PM
I think that applies to men too! Just might add to it that they work best when fed well :)

Another truthful post....

ToddG
03-08-2011, 03:03 PM

This could become a never-ending list:

They're supposed to be forged from steel, but many are actually made of softer stuff.

Many of them are better known for their history than their current performance.

One little part controls everything...

SecondsCount
03-08-2011, 05:24 PM
First off, it is good to see Julie on here. We need a woman and a respected shooter to keep the guys in line. Welcome!

My wife carries a 1911 and I dare any of you to tell her she should carry something else. :cool:

JulieG
03-08-2011, 05:50 PM
@Todd - Don't get me started ;)
@SecondsCount - thanks for the welcome!!

Kyle Reese
03-08-2011, 06:08 PM
Julie, Welcome! :)

It's an honor to have a distinguished & accomplished SME such as yourself on the site.

I've directed several female friends to your website, all of whom have an increasing interest in the shooting sports, to help change some of their preconcieved notions about shooting in general.

Many of them have never been shooting before, so all they know is what they see on TV and the movies (unfortunately).

At least one of them has expressed interest in the M&P 9 JG pistol as well. :cool:

JulieG
03-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Julie, Welcome! :)

It's an honor to have a distinguished & accomplished SME such as yourself on the site.

I've directed several female friends to your website, all of whom have an increasing interest in the shooting sports, to help change some of their preconcieved notions about shooting in general.

Many of them have never been shooting before, so all they know is what they see on TV and the movies (unfortunately).

At least one of them has expressed interest in the M&P 9 JG pistol as well. :cool:

Thanks SO much! Love to hear that you're encouraging women and that in some way I have been able to help! :D

John Ralston
03-08-2011, 09:26 PM
Now all I need for my girls and my wife is the new Julie G. Training DVD! By a woman, for women...hint, hint!

JulieG
03-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Now all I need for my girls and my wife is the new Julie G. Training DVD! By a woman, for women...hint, hint!

:) Thanks. Well, I just finished up a series of Pro Tips with the Outdoor Channel's Shooting USA that will air in a couple of months. I have a book (http://juliegolob.com/images_other/shoot.jpg) will coming out in the Fall and might be working on a DVD in the near future too. Will let you know!

Pennzoil
03-09-2011, 11:59 AM

Agree this would rock! I'm a house full of little women that love to watch shooting productions with papa. Papa enjoys watching them alittle also. I've shown my little girls the JGO youtube channel a few times which they loved (2010 hunt video was awesome).

I'll have buy your book when it comes out.

ToddG
03-09-2011, 12:18 PM
We're looking forward to Julie's new book here at Casa Green, too. A DVD instructional video would be excellent.

JulieG
03-09-2011, 12:25 PM
@Pennzoil
A house full of little women who love shooting shows? That's beyond AWESOME. :) Glad you all enjoy the you-tube vids.

@ToddG
Thanks! :)

John Ralston
03-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Julie - the book cover looks awesome (assuming that IS the cover)! Can't wait to get my copies (I want them personalized, of course ;) ). The companion DVD set would just be icing on the cake!

BTW - I think the DVD would be a first, since I have been asking every woman pro shooter that I have met at SHOT, for at least the last 4 years, if they have made one and the only answer I get is "No".

JulieG
03-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Julie - the book cover looks awesome (assuming that IS the cover)! Can't wait to get my copies (I want them personalized, of course ;) ). The companion DVD set would just be icing on the cake!

BTW - I think the DVD would be a first, since I have been asking every woman pro shooter that I have met at SHOT, for at least the last 4 years, if they have made one and the only answer I get is "No".

Not sure if that will be the cover and the title is a working title as well, but it certainly has my vote! :)

There are actually quite a few instructional clips out there by women. Kay Miculek has many featured through her Ladies Camps/Babes with Bullets program that are now airing on the Outdoor Channel. I did a series with Gun Talk TV on competition that's online too. I also hear that Jessie Abbate has a Women's Guide to USPSA DVD coming out soon as well. These are all pretty recent though - within the past year. Pretty exciting for women, that's for sure!!

ToddG
03-09-2011, 12:57 PM
since I have been asking every woman ... that I have met at SHOT, for at least the last 4 years, ... and the only answer I get is "No".

Editing is fun. :cool:

Pennzoil
03-09-2011, 01:13 PM
@ Julie- yeah it is and I didn't even push them that direction they just like it. Small part of the reason I've amped up my training is so when I start working with them I don't mess up horribly. I'm thinking later this year I'll start working with my oldest on a pellet rifle with safety shooting large reactive targets and then a 22 cal rifle.

I'll look for the other lady publications also.

John Ralston
03-09-2011, 01:28 PM
I have been asking every woman pro shooter that I have met at SHOT, for at least the last 4 years, if they know who Todd Green is, and the only answer I get is "No".

John Ralston
03-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Not sure if that will be the cover and the title is a working title as well, but it certainly has my vote! :)

There are actually quite a few instructional clips out there by women. Kay Miculek has many featured through her Ladies Camps/Babes with Bullets program that are now airing on the Outdoor Channel. I did a series with Gun Talk TV on competition that's online too. I also hear that Jessie Abbate has a Women's Guide to USPSA DVD coming out soon as well. These are all pretty recent though - within the past year. Pretty exciting for women, that's for sure!!

Jessie who??? ;)

ToddG
03-09-2011, 01:30 PM
I have been asking every woman pro shooter that I have met at SHOT, for at least the last 4 years, if they know who Todd Green is, and the only answer I get is "No".:cool:

Good thing, too. My wife would kill me...

lindertw
03-09-2011, 04:30 PM
...I have a book (http://juliegolob.com/images_other/shoot.jpg) coming out in the Fall...

Awesome, going to grab a copy for my daughter!

JulieG
03-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Awesome, going to grab a copy for my daughter!

THANK YOU!

LOKNLOD
03-10-2011, 08:20 PM
I have three daughters: 4 y.o., almost 2 y.o., and another due in April (if we get her to stop trying to come early!).

The oldest is starting to take a bit of interest in the guns so hopefully I'm on the right track...

MTechnik
03-10-2011, 08:50 PM
I have three daughters: 4 y.o., almost 2 y.o., and another due in April (if we get her to stop trying to come early!).

The oldest is starting to take a bit of interest in the guns so hopefully I'm on the right track...

My condolences.

LOKNLOD
03-10-2011, 09:51 PM
My condolences.

I'm well armed and a key part of my job involves digging large holes in remote places... Bring on the teenage years.