PDA

View Full Version : Side Saddles

DamonL
03-16-2018, 08:22 AM
I am looking for a light weight side saddle to put on a Benelli or Beretta 1301.

I use a Tac Star on my 870 and I am happy with it because it is light and rigid because it is polymer. It is easy to back fill from a dump pouch in classes. And it is inexpensive. I would use this on a semi auto but there are problems.

On the Benelli, it could cause problems if over tightened and they don't make one for the Beretta.

I know the Aridus and Mesa Tactical are solid construction, but add more weight than I would like and if you load them up with shot shells its even heavier. I would be concerned with the weight if installed on Benelli. From posts on PF, the elastomer on the Mesa Tactical is hard to adjust for the right amount of tension.

The elastic cards can work but they are a pain to fill if used in classes and it means needing to buy multiple cards. They are disposable too if the elastic wears out from use. They are inexpensive, though. This may be the solution I am looking for, but I am wondering what other peoples experiences are with side saddles in general.

03RN
03-16-2018, 09:04 AM
That's a great idea.

I'm looking to add a side saddle to one of my 590s. I have the esstac cards for one. Their not bad. I'm always looking for the best new thing and have been holding off since the esstac/Velcro does work really well and when I go hunting and don't need the sidesaddle I don't have anything but Velcro on the side.

03RN
03-16-2018, 09:11 AM
https://youtu.be/AMUUroje6Hs
Matches like this have me rethinking my gear. I almost think a plan, non detachable sidesaddle and a dump pouch would have been better.

I only had a dump pouch in Fallujah and felt it was ok but I did have a fireteam to watch my back and a bloody thumb that's still messed up.24480

Hambo
03-16-2018, 09:16 AM
I put a sidesaddle on a Benelli without any problems. As long as you don't torque the shit out of it you'll be OK. It never affected function but I did chop the shellholder down to 4 from the original 6.

The only sidesaddle I really liked was an old elastic loop, bolt on deal, for the same reason as 03RN. If I were going to add one today it would be the ESSTAC.

SpyderMan2k4
03-16-2018, 11:17 AM
For light weight, you won't beat the elastic cards. They are not all created equal.

As for taping just the carrier of the Q-DC, I'm sure people have tried it. The biggest concern is the fact that the carriers are slightly bowed, so I'm not sure how much surface area you'd have taping a bowed carrier to a flat receiver.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

HopetonBrown
03-16-2018, 04:43 PM
I haven't found the elastic cards a pain to fill. I used them in a Rob Haught class and they performed well. I used the Mesa Tactical aluminum one in a Louis Awerbuck class and didn't like how slow it was to reload from and the general bulkiness.

I will continue to use velcro cards.

1slow
03-17-2018, 06:02 AM
For light weight, you won't beat the elastic cards. They are not all created equal.

As for taping just the carrier of the Q-DC, I'm sure people have tried it. The biggest concern is the fact that the carriers are slightly bowed, so I'm not sure how much surface area you'd have taping a bowed carrier to a flat receiver.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If I were going to tape it, maybe flatten the taped side by milling,filing, or belt grinding ?

1slow
03-17-2018, 06:03 AM
What are the best elastic cards ?

03RN
03-17-2018, 06:30 AM
Esstac
I have a 3gungear one and while the elastic is thicker and holds the shells better the Velcro has not held up as well.

DamonL
03-17-2018, 07:24 AM
My only experience with elastic is an old Tacstar one and it was almost a two handed affair to fill. I have not used others like the Aries, Esstac, or Vang. They may be easier to fill. The Vang was recommended to me, but they do not make one for semi-auto's. The idea for a non-detachtable Aridus would save some weight.

DamonL
03-17-2018, 08:42 AM
One advantage of the Aridus or Mesa is they protect the shells better than elastic. That's an advantage if someone keeps a gun bagged in the trunk of a car for example.

Eli
03-17-2018, 09:52 PM
I haven't found the elastic cards a pain to fill...
...I will continue to use velcro cards.

The only ones that I've used are the cards from Esstac...but they work really well. Took several of them through a Tom Givens class, and had no problem with them. I have a 6 rounder on the receiver of my 870, and a 4 rounder on the butt-stock.

Will I ever need that much ammo...I seriously doubt it...but this is my "I'm butt nekkid and I need a gun" gun.

Punisher1336
04-10-2018, 01:14 PM
I use the Esstac shotgun cards on my Benelli M4. I have run them at a basic and advanced shotgun class and I'm very satisfied with them. They also fit into my HSGI taco mags (AR). I just slip the cardboard from the ammo box into the mag pouch and the card slips right out when I pull on it.

TCinVA
04-10-2018, 05:53 PM
What are the best elastic cards ?

In my opinion the Vang Comp card is far and away the best on the market:

https://vangcomp.com/shop/vcs-detachable-side-ammunition-extra-carrier/

The "elastic" is much thicker and more robust than the standard elastic, the "card" part is tough and durable, and even though I beat on mine pretty hard they reliably hold shells rim down (how I prefer to have them) and won't drop shells even if I mag dump as fast as I can on either my 1301s or my 870s.

Plus they are 20 bucks and you can attach them directly to the receiver with some industrial strength velcro.

It's cheap, durable, and reliable. Hard to beat.

StraitR
04-10-2018, 06:55 PM

Wish they made them in a 4 or 5 shell. That's the only reason I went with Esstac.

Sherman A. House DDS
04-11-2018, 12:26 PM
I’ve had good luck with Brown Coat Tactical. I have some of their two-shot Velcro cards and they’re great without being overly cumbersome. I’ve also used SOE, Esstac and the old RCS (maybe they were Ares Gear?) cards. It’s a fairly simple equation, but the quality of the components matters, especially if you use the gear extensively.

I’m going to try out the Vang Comp cards too. I suppose I’m probably a weirdo, but I prefer the stock mounts (which you can do with the shot cards too).

civiliandefender.com

Itschris
04-11-2018, 07:36 PM
When I first got my 870, I tried several different options and went with the Mesa. I don’t find the weight objectionable or even noticeable to be honest. I spent an entire afternoon shooting ... with brass up and down and had zero issues. Now granted my 870 is a tactical model and first and foremost its a SHTF tool so I require everything to be rugged and reliable and purposeful first so it may be different for you and what you’re particular use is. When my doc stamp shows up for my other 870 SBS, I’ll be switching everything over to the Aridus piece. Both 870’s, the 1301t, and even maybe the Tac14 will have the same unit...uniformity is another requirement I l try to adhere to. But for now, I really find the Mesa a quality add on. My two sense.

Wendell
04-11-2018, 09:22 PM
This is a thread drift, but what about sidesaddles for bolt rifles? Who makes those?

I've seen a YouTube video of a kid shooting a Savage Rascal that had a sidesaddle (on the right side, just forward of the ejection port); I want one.

CWM11B
04-12-2018, 11:06 AM
Triad Tactical makes a two round card for bolt guns. I had one on my issued sniper rifle. Inexpensive and very good quality.

Sherman A. House DDS
04-12-2018, 11:30 AM
Triad Tactical makes a two round card for bolt guns. I had one on my issued sniper rifle. Inexpensive and very good quality.

Brown coat Tactical makes them too.

civiliandefender.com

1slow
04-12-2018, 10:35 PM

https://vangcomp.com/shop/vcs-detachable-side-ammunition-extra-carrier/

The "elastic" is much thicker and more robust than the standard elastic, the "card" part is tough and durable, and even though I beat on mine pretty hard they reliably hold shells rim down (how I prefer to have them) and won't drop shells even if I mag dump as fast as I can on either my 1301s or my 870s.

Plus they are 20 bucks and you can attach them directly to the receiver with some industrial strength velcro.

It's cheap, durable, and reliable. Hard to beat.

Thanks, ordered several, any particular velcro recommendations ?

Sherman A. House DDS
04-12-2018, 11:21 PM
I use the heavy grade Velcro that comes in a 25’ roll from Lowe’s.

civiliandefender.com

Screwball
04-13-2018, 06:28 AM
I use the heavy grade Velcro that comes in a 25’ roll from Lowe’s.

I tried that with my Ithaca 37, but I also had it redone in NP3 Plus. Pulling the card off pulls the Velcro backer. Ended up getting a seven round stock mount off Amazon and using that. A stock finish, I’d think would be good to go... but not one of the NP3s.

Being the three guns I’d run a side saddle on all have or will have NP3 Plus on them (870P, Ithaca, and the TAC-14 will be on the way once I’m sure I’m finished adding stuff), I try to opt for bolt on sidesaddles. Really wish TacStar still did the Ithaca ones, as I’d send the hardware with my TAC-14 to be matched.

TCinVA
04-13-2018, 09:30 AM
Thanks, ordered several, any particular velcro recommendations ?

You can get industrial strength Velcro from Amazon. I’ve used that on all my guns without issue to this point.

1slow
04-13-2018, 07:21 PM
Thank you.