PDA

View Full Version : M&P trigger return spring

TAP
02-05-2012, 11:41 AM
I broke my stock trigger return spring on my M&P FS 9mm today. I have 10,547 rounds through this gun and this was the original spring. I just replaced my recoil spring before hitting the range (second time since purchase) and the trigger return spring broke after 22 rounds into my practice session. I received some replacement springs about 3 weeks ago after a few months on backorder. I thought about replacing the spring this morning but I was short on time and my gun was filthy so I decided I would do it sometime this week.

I think I'll stick to a 5,000 round replacement schedule for my recoil spring and trigger return spring. Any other parts I should consider replacing with 10k down the pipe? I have an extra striker assembly so I may replace that too (my current one is the original old style) as long as I can get a replacement in the next few weeks.

JV_
02-05-2012, 11:44 AM
I replaced the recoil and trigger springs together, at 5K. I would replace the slide release every 10K. I broke the left side of 2 or 3 releases.

orionz06
02-05-2012, 11:54 AM
I believe the new springs have a life of 10,000 rounds now. DocGKR, can you confirm?

JV_
02-05-2012, 11:58 AM
When thinking about trigger return spring life, don't forget to consider dry fire.

Pennzoil
02-05-2012, 12:36 PM
While it's apart you may want to replace the slide stop assembly @$16 as your right around the round count I broke both of mine.

TAP
02-05-2012, 02:44 PM
I just gave it a good cleaning and replaced:

trigger return spring
slide release assembly
striker assembly
recoil spring (before my trigger spring broke earlier)

Now my reset isn't 100%. Sometimes it lags. Any ideas?

Maybe the new striker assembly has something to do with it???

JV_
02-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Did you put the trigger spring in correctly?

Is the open part of the trigger spring loop facing up or down?

TAP
02-05-2012, 02:49 PM
It was definitely the new striker assembly. Just replaced with the old one and it works great. Why would the new striker assembly hang up and not allow reset?

Savage Hands
02-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Maybe the new striker assembly is rubbing against the striker block some how?

A tip that Randy mentioned was to keep the trigger return spring lubricated to assist in its life.

TAP
02-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Just talked to my friend who did a trigger job for me. Turns out my striker is tuned for this setup. I will need a new trigger bar and sear to make a new striker work. Makes sense...I didn't think he tuned the striker.

Unobtanium
09-30-2014, 11:38 AM
Did you put the trigger spring in correctly?

Is the open part of the trigger spring loop facing up or down?

Sorry to resurrect, but...what's correct? The part of the spring that connects to the "body" is where I can see it on both the trigger pivot pin, and the trigger arm. This struck me as the most natural way to install it to prevent binding, looking at the setup, but I could well be wrong. I failed to pay attention when I took the pistol apart. Thanks!

This IS NOT MY SPRING. MINE IS OPPOSITE THIS ON BOTH ENDS!
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5350/8411944974_4b339c6816_h.jpg

Just the best pic I could find of said part.

JV_
09-30-2014, 11:45 AM
The pic is correct. For more info, see Randy's install video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxB5dkCOEHg&list=UUeKhXg2auTl-d3baHfAZGSQ#t=134

Unobtanium
09-30-2014, 11:51 AM
The pic is correct. For more info, see Randy's install video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxB5dkCOEHg&list=UUeKhXg2auTl-d3baHfAZGSQ#t=134

Well...that sucks. I'll change it tonight. Thank-you for clarifying!

Also, the trigger pull on my M&P is a dream. I got it second hand with stippling already done. Is there a way if I can tell if it has some aftermarket springs? The reason I ask, is that every now and then I get a light primer strike. This is using Remington White Box 9mm plinking ammo. Maybe that ammo is just known for hard primers?

My spring's "foam thingy" is long gone. Does it matter?

JV_
09-30-2014, 11:57 AM
If it's missing the foam inside (and it was never there), and it's not red, it could be an Apex spring.

If you don't know the life of the spring, replace it. The first thing I do to used guns is clean and respring them. I would also give the firing pin channel a thorough inspection, and look for any peening on the striker block.

Unobtanium
09-30-2014, 12:04 PM
If it's missing the foam inside (and it was never there), and it's not red, it could be an Apex spring.

If you don't know the life of the spring, replace it. The first thing I do to used guns is clean and respring them. I would also give the firing pin channel a thorough inspection, and look for any peening on the striker block.

I cleaned out the firing-pin channel. It was so crapped up I didn't know there was a "vent hole" near the tip of the FP in the slide.
My spring is silver. All of the springs in the gun are silver.
I hate to sound ignorant...but I am. Striker block lives...where? I tore this thing down looking for a mainspring like in my P226...

JV_
09-30-2014, 12:09 PM
Apex springs are silver too, so the color alone isn't enough for an ID. Post up a picture.

If the channel is clean, the striker isn't interfering with the FP safety plunger, and the striker tip isn't broken, it's time for a striker spring.

Unobtanium
09-30-2014, 12:23 PM
Apex springs are silver too, so the color alone isn't enough for an ID. Post up a picture.

If the channel is clean, the striker isn't interfering with the FP safety plunger, and the striker tip isn't broken, it's time for a striker spring.

Striker spring is the silver spring surrounding the FP, correct?

http://i58.tinypic.com/9u3tbc.jpg

JV_
09-30-2014, 12:36 PM
Striker spring is the silver spring surrounding the FP, correct?Yes, but that thing you're calling the FP is the striker.

To try and ID the spring, I'd like to see it removed from the gun.

Unobtanium
09-30-2014, 12:39 PM
Yes, but that thing you're calling the FP is the striker.

To try and ID the spring, I'd like to see it removed from the gun.
http://i58.tinypic.com/ndx5yw.jpg
http://i59.tinypic.com/30v12td.jpg

Mitchell, Esq.
09-30-2014, 01:36 PM
Where are you buying these parts, and are they the same for the shield?

Unobtanium
09-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Where are you buying these parts, and are they the same for the shield?

The weapon was used when I got it. I haven't bought anything for it.

JV_
09-30-2014, 01:41 PM
That trigger spring looks a lot like this one:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/380700/apex-tactical-duty-carry-spring-kit-s-and-w-m-and-p-pistols

Unobtanium
09-30-2014, 01:49 PM
That trigger spring looks a lot like this one:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/380700/apex-tactical-duty-carry-spring-kit-s-and-w-m-and-p-pistols

Agreed! So it's not the stock one?

Also, if that's not stock, I doubt the striker spring is. Can I change the striker spring without changing anything else? What I mean is, will anything relate to the striker spring/be over or under-powered, etc? Or is it a "stand alone" thing? I want to eliminate these light strikes.

JV_
09-30-2014, 01:53 PM
My guess is it's not the stock one, it's an Apex. That spring looks different from my previous Apex springs, but those did break a lot, and I've been out of the M&P scene for a while now.

I haven't looked at an OEM striker spring for a M&P in years, so I can't say if that one looks right or not. I'd get an OEM spring and replace it, but as I said before, I'd respring the whole gun.

I ran stock striker springs with an Apex duty kit without striker spring issues. I did break a lot of trigger springs, but that's another issue.

KeeFus
09-30-2014, 01:53 PM
Agreed! So it's not the stock one?

Also, if that's not stock, I doubt the striker spring is. Can I change the striker spring without changing anything else? What I mean is, will anything relate to the striker spring/be over or under-powered, etc? Or is it a "stand alone" thing? I want to eliminate these light strikes.

http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=103_90_116&products_id=1022

UGH. SOLD OUT. Everywhere I look they're sold out.

Unobtanium
09-30-2014, 01:59 PM
http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=103_90_116&products_id=1022

Out of stock.

I'm with you, JV, I'd like to just replace it all with stock. What's the best source for just a stock spring kit?

KeeFus
09-30-2014, 02:08 PM
Out of stock.

I'm with you, JV, I'd like to just replace it all with stock. What's the best source for just a stock spring kit?

Have you called S&W?

If they have none I can send you a complete striker spring assembly.

Unobtanium
10-01-2014, 03:07 AM
Have you called S&W?

If they have none I can send you a complete striker spring assembly.
Thanks! I will contact them tomorrow. In the past, I have found S&W CS to be very agreeable.

KeeFus
10-19-2014, 08:52 AM
Thanks! I will contact them tomorrow. In the past, I have found S&W CS to be very agreeable.

Back in stock.

https://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=916

Unobtanium
10-29-2014, 09:00 AM
Alright, I just ordered an OEM trigger return spring, and striker assembly (FP, spring, etc.)

Are there any other parts/springs that could cause a light primer strike?

KeeFus
10-29-2014, 09:20 AM
Alright, I just ordered an OEM trigger return spring, and striker assembly (FP, spring, etc.)

Are there any other parts/springs that could cause a light primer strike?

Light primer strikes? Not to my knowledge. Last week I had 1 round not fire on an off-duty qualification course for my M&P 9. I retrieved the round and attempted to refire it...and again it didn't fire. The other 59 rounds fired just fine so I wrote it off as a bad primer. Then someone with a Sig 226 fired it...???

I have yet to have any issues with the sear springs or extractor spring/extractor on any of my 3 M&P's and I have fired various rounds through them all. I have had issues with magazine springs on my M&P 45 which is a issued duty weapon. That was quickly resolved by S&W.

Unless you are having dead trigger issues I wouldn't worry with the sear spring.

Unobtanium
10-29-2014, 09:55 AM
Light primer strikes? Not to my knowledge. Last week I had 1 round not fire on an off-duty qualification course for my M&P 9. I retrieved the round and attempted to refire it...and again it didn't fire. The other 59 rounds fired just fine so I wrote it off as a bad primer. Then someone with a Sig 226 fired it...???

I have yet to have any issues with the sear springs or extractor spring/extractor on any of my 3 M&P's and I have fired various rounds through them all. I have had issues with magazine springs on my M&P 45 which is a issued duty weapon. That was quickly resolved by S&W.

Unless you are having dead trigger issues I wouldn't worry with the sear spring.
Trigger is fine, I have just had multiple "needs to be struck again" rounds, and the primer strikes look weak on them to my eyes, upon inspection, as well. They always go "bang" the second time I hit 'em. That is what drive my quest, here. 1 in every 200 rounds or so isn't okay with me.

RJ
10-30-2014, 04:31 PM
Might as well ask this question here:

Past weekend I had one FTF on a 100 round box of WWB 9mm WalMart ammo out of my DCAEK-equipped M&P 9 (Oct 13 build, 2,000+ rounds).

I slipped out the striker assembly (never removed it) during cleaning and found a startling amount of gunk in the channel and striker.

1) Is there a recommended round count for removing and cleaning the striker?
2) They go back in dry, no lube, right?

Thanks in advance.

Rich in Tampa

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/30/6074d49fe36310cdd4eaabd140f91c53.jpg

KeeFus
10-30-2014, 07:24 PM
Gunk? I assume someone put oil in the striker channel? If so, it shouldn't be there. Secondly, WWB has a history of having extraction issues with M&P 9's. Check out Apex Tacticals web page and look at getting the FRE (Failure Resistant Extractor).

At 2000 rounds you shouldn't be having striker issues. I would simply ensure the striker channel is clean of oil and replace the striker.

JV_
10-30-2014, 07:28 PM
If you have light strike issues, and it's not the striker and the channel is clean, check for interference between the striker and striker safety plunger.
If it's an hitting the safety plunger along the way, because it's out of spec or because it's not moving freely, it will slow the striker.

Unobtanium
12-20-2014, 05:21 PM
I would like to follow up that I took a Frank Proctor Performance Pistol class a couple days ago. I fired roughly 1100 rounds with no failures to fire. As far as anyone there could tell by looking at the parts, they were all factory regarding sear, etc. and I know the trigger return spring and striker assy. were, as I replaced them myself. My pistol still made people with full APEX setups mad as it had a much better trigger pull. It's my first and only M&P fullsize, so I just thought it was normal.