PDA

View Full Version : Beretta TX Storm shotgun

GJM
02-05-2012, 08:57 AM
I have been a long time 870 user, specifically a 14 inch model, for my Alaska walk-abouts. This winter, I decided to try to find a semi-auto shotgun that might work for my criteria -- reliable, reasonably accurate, lightweight, fast shooting, comfortable to carry, reasonable length of pull, stock suitable for aperture sights and a H1, and able to shoot a range of loads.

I stumbled upon the newish Beretta TX Storm shotgun, got one, and so far have been very impressed. It feeds everything from low brass bird shot to Brenneke slugs, cycles fast, weighs only 6.4 pounds, has an appropriate length of pull, and a terrific stock that is comfortable in recoil and set up with a proper comb height for aperture sights and a T1/H1. You can even co-witness the aperture sights thru the H1. Most excited I have been about a semi-auto shotgun ever.

JV_
02-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Is the action shared with a Benelli?

GJM
02-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Different action than the M4.

I started this winter shotgun quest with a Benelli M4, and so far can't get it to run, which is a disappointment as I planned to run it with a 14 inch barrel. The Beretta was a pleasant surprise, and for my use of a practical shotgun, seems a better choice. Plus, it costs less, weighs less, has a better stock, handles better and has a better located safety.

UNK
02-05-2012, 09:21 PM
I worked on a furnace rebuild at a bottle plant in Pa. One of the guys on the job was also a commercial fisherman from Alaska. He said he never went into the woods without a friend, a dog and his choice of weapon was a shotgun. He told me that he had actually shot a bear off of one of his friends. I have a problem paying 1200+ for a shotgun and then being told they won't sell me the tube extension unless I am LEO.

joshs
02-05-2012, 09:42 PM
I have a problem paying 1200+ for a shotgun and then being told they won't sell me the tube extension unless I am LEO.

They won't sell an extended tube because they do not want to sell an accessory that makes their shotguns unimportable. Extended magazine tubes (5+) on semi-auto shotguns are one of the features that BATFE considers "non-sporting." Semi-auto shotguns used to be sporting as long as they didn't meet the "Assault Weapon" definition (2 feature test, most common are extended tube, collapsible stock, or pistol grip), but there is now some confusion, mostly created by unclear advice from BATFE, about what constitutes a "sporting" shotgun.

GJM
02-05-2012, 10:03 PM
While a plus 1 extension would balance well with the 18 inch barrel on the Storm, as a practical matter if 5or 6 Brenneke slugs don't stop the bear, you need more help than a longer extension. I run a plus 1 Vang extension on my 14 870, giving me five in the tube, and have never felt under slugged around bears.

jmjames
02-05-2012, 10:06 PM
They won't sell an extended tube because they do not want to sell an accessory that makes their shotguns unimportable. Extended magazine tubes (5+) on semi-auto shotguns are one of the features that BATFE considers "non-sporting." Semi-auto shotguns used to be sporting as long as they didn't meet the "Assault Weapon" definition (2 feature test, most common are extended tube, collapsible stock, or pistol grip), but there is now some confusion, mostly created by unclear advice from BATFE, about what constitutes a "sporting" shotgun.

The Saiga 12 is designed for a detachable magazine (including 20 round drums) and they can still be imported (though it is sold with a 5 round magazine in the box). And you can even get an 8 round Russian magazine without a problem, and I *think* that Arsenal/K-Var sells a package with the Saiga 12 and some 8 round magazines. There is definitely a lot of confusion over it, but I don't think it's as bad as it was last year when the price of a Saiga 12 hit the $750 - $850 range (up roughly $200 from a few months prior) in the late winter, they are back down to the $550 - $650 range again, so I suspect that the "sporting shotgun" confusion has cleared up or settled down.

That said, I do wonder why more shotguns do not offer a detachable magazine, it's an excellent feature in my opinion. I have just started seeing Calico-style spiral mags for Remington and Mossburgs that go up to around 22 rounds (pricey, Brownells lists the 22 rounders for $999!), which I think is a game changer; it isn't like they are about to consider taking the 870 off the streets...

J.Ja

UNK
02-05-2012, 10:10 PM
So someone else can make and sell an extension but Beretta can't? My info was straight from their website. LEO Only

GJM
02-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Guess it depends on how you use your shotgun. I carry a shotgun for well over 100 miles in an average summer, and the thought of a heavier, sharp edged shotgun with a box magazine to poke me is not appealing. I want the lightest, most trim shotgun possible with no sharp edges as the shotgun is either in my hands or rubbing against my body.

UNK
02-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Guess it depends on how you use your shotgun. I carry a shotgun for well over 100 miles in an average summer, and the thought of a heavier, sharp edged shotgun with a box magazine to poke me is not appealing. I want the lightest, most trim shotgun possible with no sharp edges as the shotgun is either in my hands or rubbing against my body.
I watched the video on Berettas website. I get why anybody would want one. I just have a problem with LEO only on the tube extensions.

UNK
02-05-2012, 11:04 PM
It would be interesting to shoot it timed with slugs vs a shot load. From the video it's very controllable and smoking fast. Are you going to cut the barrel down to 14?

GJM
02-05-2012, 11:33 PM
My buddy got to the range with his Beretta, and I asked him to shoot a Bill drill with the Beretta, and for comparison a 870, to compare the two and give an idea of the cycle rate of the Beretta. He has recently taken a Randy Cain shotgun course with his 870, and I consider him a strong intermediate 870 shooter. This was his second range session with the Beretta.

#8 shot

870: 3.16 .30 .61 .56 .57 .56 .56

TX4: 1.47 .26 .29 .24 .23 .22 .23

As you can see, while the time to shot one was similar, the Beretta was much faster for follow-up shots in his hands. When I am feeling ambitious, I plan to repeat with a 870, 11-87, inertia Benelli, Benelli M4 and the Beretta.

UNK
02-06-2012, 06:35 AM
My buddy got to the range with his Beretta, and I asked him to shoot a Bill drill with the Beretta, and for comparison a 870, to compare the two and give an idea of the cycle rate of the Beretta. He has recently taken a Randy Cain shotgun course with his 870, and I consider him a strong intermediate 870 shooter. This was his second range session with the Beretta.

#8 shot

870: 3.16 .30 .61 .56 .57 .56 .56

TX4: 1.47 .26 .29 .24 .23 .22 .23

As you can see, while the time to shot one was similar, the Beretta was much faster for follow-up shots in his hands. When I am feeling ambitious, I plan to repeat with a 870, 11-87, inertia Benelli, Benelli M4 and the Beretta.

That will be a cool test. I can't wait to see the results. The shotgun is my favorite weapon. They are just so versatile in one platform. For chuckles you should do a search on Chief AJ. He shoots trap with a scoped .22 rifle, bb guns and a slingshot. I went through his instructor course for instinctive shooting and it was an absolute blast. I would think that type of practice would really be beneficial to dense brush shooting. Especially when you are busting the pigeon right out of the trap.

Spr1
02-26-2012, 07:56 AM
I groped one of these at a local fun show yesterday. It was amazing light in the hands (empty of course), and seemed very balanced.
Any updates?
I would love to see some high round count reliability comparisons with an inertia operated Benelli.
How are the sporting A400's doing in high volume shooting?

jstyer
02-27-2012, 07:27 PM
How does the TX4 stack up to a Benelli M2? From a reliability standpoint do you guys prefer the beretta gas gun system vs. the inertia system?

Load versatility isn't a real concern for me, as the only thing I really feed through shotguns is buck and slugs.

Thoughts?

JHC
02-27-2012, 08:12 PM

Do you prep a shotgun for hard use in Alaska any different than any other climate? Any special lubes etc?
Do you have any experience with the Mossberg 930? One here runs great. Volgrad had a bad one.

GJM
02-27-2012, 09:24 PM
Since bears are out in the warmer months, my shotgun use in the field is primarily in the 20 to 70F temperature range, and I haven't had to sort out -40 lube and operational issues. Further, since my shotgun choice has been a 14 inch 870 with NP3 coating, and I am the operating system, I have needed virtually no maintenance, despite dragging the 870 in and out of boats, float planes and helicopters. With the 870, all loads run. :)

While I have had a few inertia model Benelli shotguns, their rap in Alaska is they don't hold up well to abuse -- either any torquing of the receiver, or hanging stuff like a side saddle and light on them. I recently got a Benelli M4, with a gas system, but so far have been unable to make it run reliably, even with buck and slugs. The Beretta Storm has yet to malfunction, it is lightweight, and the stock is awesome -- it allows you to co-witness the aperture sights with a T1/H1. Took about five Brenneke slugs to zero the Beretta, and with the H1, I am shooting clover leaf groups at 25 yards, my slug zero.

No Mossy experience.