PDA

View Full Version : Netflix Police Documentary: "Flint Town"

TGS
03-10-2018, 05:44 PM
Great documentary.

Granted, I wasn't a LEO when I lived/worked in a decayed industrial city (I was an EMT, same sandbox, different job). Still, watching this documentary brought back a lot of memories and emotions, especially given the married couple working the same department, which is how my wife and I met as well. She even switched trucks to work my last shift with me before I started my current job. The dynamics of a corrupt city government, underfunded public safety services, community that hates you no matter what you do, and making shit pay. You kind of feel like you get sucked into a vortex at some point. When I started my current job, our class coordinator told us to "remember the mill" from which we came, and this documentary really did that.

As for my current job, I have a very different perspective than these guys. My only exposure to neighborhoods like these are field interviews or warrant service, and always with the right equipment and ample amount of manpower. We don't live in it all shift long, day-in/day-out like these guys (or some of you here).

Anyway, thought I'd mention the documentary to everyone here.

Chance
03-11-2018, 08:30 AM
Excellent documentary. SO has been watching this, and I have glanced at it wandering through the living room. I am in the process of sitting down and watching it start-to-finish.

Why those folks continue to show up for work is lost on me some time. The world is a better place for them.

MI Law
03-11-2018, 10:58 AM
Why those folks continue to show up for work is lost on me some time. The world is a better place for them.

I'm amazed they have any cops left. There is a constant threat of layoff and shit pay for the area. A Flint cop with 4 years on will make $46,500/yr while a nearby Grand Blanc cop with 4 years on will make $57,000/yr. Those dudes must feel a calling to work in that area.

5pins
03-11-2018, 09:03 PM
I was just siting here trying to find something on Netflix to watch, I guess I found it.

Leroy Suggs
03-12-2018, 09:00 PM
Excellent. I just watched the whole thing.

Peally
03-12-2018, 10:03 PM
Netflix finally made a documentary that wasn't a steaming pile? That's impressive.

Wayne Dobbs
03-13-2018, 08:27 AM
Great documentary and despite the monster issues these guys have, they have some great street cops at work here. Very much worth your time.

OnionsAndDragons
03-13-2018, 03:00 PM
We are into EP6 and it has struck us as very well done.

If you haven't started it yet, pay really close attention to the younger female officer, Bridgette, when she makes a solo stop and talk with a potential suspect on foot. This happens in ep 1 I think. The body language, the way she frisks the guy without being overt or hostile towards him; it's really impressive. I'd like to see someone well versed in cues and psychology like SouthNarc or William Aprill do a play by play of that.

There are some impressive humans working that terrible beat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GNRPowdeR
03-14-2018, 07:51 AM
Adding to my list to watch when the wife is working...

blues
03-14-2018, 08:16 AM
We watched the first episode last night. Excellent. Will be watching the rest over the coming days.

Those officers have my respect.

WobblyPossum
03-14-2018, 08:54 AM
I watched the first couple of episodes last night and I’m hooked. That’s a completely different environment from where I work and I’m fascinated. I will be watching the entire series.

–————————————————
My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Casual Friday
03-15-2018, 04:22 PM
I enjoyed it. It was like watching a real life version of The Wire. Corruption, broke city, worn out burned out cops, murder, broke down police cars, internal politics, chiefs getting fired, people not getting promotions they thought they were getting.

The armed citizen patrol was interesting. Here it's just unarmed old people driving around with flashlights and hi viz vests.

BJXDS
03-15-2018, 09:21 PM
Very interesting, Flint turned into a shit hole when GM fell, and will never be the same. I am really surprised they are even able to staff a PD. My utmost respect to all officers, but why would anyone ever want to sign up?

Lon
03-16-2018, 12:47 AM
Damn you guys. Who needs sleep anyway?

martin_j001
03-16-2018, 03:55 AM
Started watching this little by little last week or so, and have been enjoying it for sure. I grew up in East Lansing, and spent time in Flint throughout the '80's-90's for swim meets, and don't remember it as what it is today. For the most part, from what I can see through the show, the officers who are featured seem like good folks who care about the job and doing it right...which is surprising in a way given the other circumstances (understaffed, lower pay, worse area, etc). Good show.

blues
03-16-2018, 08:21 AM
We'll probably finish it this evening. Been an interesting ride along for sure...

1911Nut
03-16-2018, 03:23 PM
Based on advice from PF members, watched Episodes 1 and 2 last night. Excellent! Will certainly watch all of it. And I had just finished watching all three seasons of Narcos on NetFlix. Great stuff!! Any future viewing recommendations will be appreciated.

CS Tactical
03-16-2018, 04:11 PM
Finished it last night, I can't wait for the next season...

TGS
03-16-2018, 05:14 PM
Finished it last night, I can't wait for the next season...

Oh, there's more?

CS Tactical
03-16-2018, 05:22 PM
Oh, there's more?

I believe there will be in the future :)

blues
03-16-2018, 07:13 PM
Just finished. Powerful stuff. And man, those guys can sing!

TheNewbie
03-16-2018, 08:30 PM
Watching it now. It's ok (yes I can be a contrarian lol) but more than anything it is yet another example of how broken and screwed up our society is/is becoming. What I like about these things is it lets me know how people from different areas think.

TheNewbie
03-17-2018, 02:27 AM
Finished it. It is disturbing how much how some of the officers blamed racism as the reason for voting for Trump.

blues
03-17-2018, 08:16 AM
Finished it. It is disturbing how much how some of the officers blamed racism as the reason for voting for Trump.

I can't disagree. The decision was far more complex than just black and white...on a variety of levels.

Equally disturbing was a heated argument I got into with my partner (a DEA agent) and another agent in the parking lot outside the task force after the (despicable) Rodney King beat down. They justified pulling Reginald Denny from his truck and beating him within an inch of his life by simply saying that "black folks weren't going to take it anymore". My rejoinder was that if we were working in L.A. and they were carrying a badge and didn't feel it was their duty to be colorblind and attempt to rescue the man, I'd be just as inclined to shoot them as the rioters. (I was overstating my case, clearly, to make a point...but I was angry.)

I understand the distrust and even hatred of Trump. But that doesn't mean that the reason why individuals voted for him was along racial lines. It's unfortunate that this divide exists when the only color that matters on the job should be blue. (I'd like to say that race should never enter the equation in any arena but that would be my idealism speaking rather than speaking from experience.)

TheNewbie
03-17-2018, 08:30 PM
I can't disagree. The decision was far more complex than just black and white...on a variety of levels.

Equally disturbing was a heated argument I got into with my partner (a DEA agent) and another agent in the parking lot outside the task force after the (despicable) Rodney King beat down. They justified pulling Reginald Denny from his truck and beating him within an inch of his life by simply saying that "black folks weren't going to take it anymore". My rejoinder was that if we were working in L.A. and they were carrying a badge and didn't feel it was their duty to be colorblind and attempt to rescue the man, I'd be just as inclined to shoot them as the rioters. (I was overstating my case, clearly, to make a point...but I was angry.)

I understand the distrust and even hatred of Trump. But that doesn't mean that the reason why individuals voted for him was along racial lines. It's unfortunate that this divide exists when the only color that matters on the job should be blue. (I'd like to say that race should never enter the equation in any arena but that would be my idealism speaking rather than speaking from experience.)

I guess what bothers me is the disconnect between those officers and reality. After what they see they still can't connect the dots.

Like you I believe that race is nothing more than a physical descriptor. Sadly there is too much profit, power, and victim hood to be had, so people put meaning in race.

Trooper224
03-17-2018, 10:46 PM
Just watched the first two episodes. I never seen a group of LEOs with a more tired behind the eyes look, yet they're still putting themselves out there. Spartans, every one.

Earlymonk
03-18-2018, 02:18 PM
Really grateful that you all made me aware of this documentary. It was incredibly powerful and beautifully shot. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Incredible respect for these officers working under ridiculously difficult conditions.

...pay really close attention to the younger female officer, Bridgette, when she makes a solo stop and talk with a potential suspect on foot. ...The body language, the way she frisks the guy without being overt or hostile towards him; it's really impressive.

So funny, I had the totally opposite reaction to this. Unless she knew the guy (which there was no indication she did), it seemed like seriously lacking MUCing. The fact that she was so close to him, flat footed, no fence, etc., struck me as really dangerous/rookie stuff. She seemed totally vulnerable to any attack he might mount, and she would have been WAY behind the curve.

Contrast that with how Bernritter (whom I would pretty much support for President) managed the mentally ill man while waiting for EMS, which I think was masterful. Distance, tone of voice, calm control, empathy, etc.

Just finished. Powerful stuff. And man, those guys can sing!

Even though The Impressions weren't a Motown act, the "It's Alright" quartet was a great way to wrap it up.

Spartans, every one.

A-freakin'-men.

blues
03-18-2018, 02:57 PM
^^^I had concerns that she was too close and vulnerable when I watched that scene as well.

There were several other instances where I got a bit anxious that they put themselves unnecessarily in harm's way...the reserve officers among them. Scary.

Lon
03-18-2018, 03:37 PM
The fascination wore off @episode 5. Doubt I watch any more of it. I'll be honest, the CATT squad got on my nerves.

TGS
03-18-2018, 06:32 PM
The fascination wore off @episode 5. Doubt I watch any more of it. I'll be honest, the CATT squad got on my nerves.

I had some thoughts, but I didn't really feel qualified to share them.

What were you thinking? Please share.

ubervic
03-18-2018, 06:47 PM
It’s an excellent documentary. Sure, there are missteps, and awkward statements made. But it’s the most well-produced and unvarnished portrayal of the law enforcement dynamic I’ve ever seen, particularly in terms of an underfunded and antagonistic environment.

Lon
03-18-2018, 08:02 PM
What were you thinking? Please share.

From what I saw in the episodes I watched, it looks like the 4th Amendment got evicted from the City of Flint. I found myself agreeing with the citizens they had sound bites from who were unhappy with FPD and the CATT squad. I could "clean" up my town in a month or less if I was willing to trample all over the rights of the citizens here. I'm not. Maybe the part of the video that justified some of what they do got edited out? Somehow I doubt it.

I wonder how many of the 700+ felony charges the CATT Squad made by episode 5 will actually stick? I'll keep an eye out for 1983 lawsuits coming out of Flint when I check the 6th Circuit's opinions. It's about time for cases from 2015 to start hitting the Appeals Court.

Those FPD cops have a tough job, no doubt about it. My hat goes off to them. I just hope they remember their oaths.

KPD
03-24-2018, 02:59 PM
From what I saw in the episodes I watched, it looks like the 4th Amendment got evicted from the City of Flint. I found myself agreeing with the citizens they had sound bites from who were unhappy with FPD and the CATT squad. I could "clean" up my town in a month or less if I was willing to trample all over the rights of the citizens here. I'm not. Maybe the part of the video that justified some of what they do got edited out? Somehow I doubt it.

I wonder how many of the 700+ felony charges the CATT Squad made by episode 5 will actually stick? I'll keep an eye out for 1983 lawsuits coming out of Flint when I check the 6th Circuit's opinions. It's about time for cases from 2015 to start hitting the Appeals Court.

Those FPD cops have a tough job, no doubt about it. My hat goes off to them. I just hope they remember their oaths.

I really liked the show, right up until the CATT shenanigans started. I have seen this type of knee jerk reaction to problem solving firsthand. It doesn’t work and results in bad court decisions then officers in the unit getting bad reputations in the court and community. Picking favorites based on popularity and not even training them properly is a recipe for disaster.

ETA: How does your crime rate get reduced 40% in a year or less without any additional resources or personnel? I have a hard time believing the previous boss was doing that bad a job.

scjbash
03-24-2018, 03:37 PM
ETA: How does your crime rate get reduced 40% in a year or less without any additional resources or personnel? I have a hard time believing the previous boss was doing that bad a job.

I think the answer may have been in the episode where the officer working the phone said they were fifty deep in calls and would never be able to respond to most of them. No response = no report = no crime committed. Between a shortage of available cars and officers being moved to the CATT Squad they had to have been responding to fewer calls than before.

A few others and I had that conversation with one of the captains on our local PD. He gave the neighborhood crime stats at a meeting and claimed a large drop in property crimes. The problem is there were more people in the room who had called 911 to report property crimes than his stats showed occurring in the entire neighborhood. The department is so understaffed that most of those calls were never responded to. Eventually people give up and don't even bother calling at all, which makes the stats look even better.

andre3k
03-24-2018, 04:52 PM
I only watched the show because of this thread. Like the other poster, I stopped watching after the CATT team was introduced. Not so much because of possible 4th amendment issues, but because the looked like a bunch of jackasses.

I supervise a squad that has the exact same purpose but with a different acronym. Street level proactive investigation of gang members and violent offenders. One thing I stopped doing a long time ago is motherfucking people. Sure, there might be a time and place for it but you're not going to get people to trust you if you come out of your car talking shit to everyone on the block. You can proactively police in the hood and still be respectable to the citizens and turds that live there.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk